PDA

View Full Version : Markus: Scheduling FCS Teams That Are No Cupcakes

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/718-scheduling-fcs-schools-that-are-no-cupcakes

When the Big Ten announced in February that they would no longer schedule FCS opponents, they made it sound like it was a move to strengthen their laughable non-conference scheduling.

Wisconsin Athletic Director and former Hall of Fame Coach Barry Alvarez told the Milwaukee Journal that “the non-conference schedule in our league is ridiculous. It’s not very appealing.” While the conference’s schedule is inarguably loaded with more cupcakes than a competition on the Food Network, perhaps they are just scared of actually losing the games.

The Big Ten, which still has previously-scheduled FCS games through 2014, did not stumble this weekend against their lesser Division I brethren but the same cannot be said for the Pac-12, Big 12, Mountain West and the recently-named American Athletic Conference. When it was all said and done, eight FCS teams took out their FBS opponents and Eastern Washington became just the third FCS team to upend a ranked FBS opponent when they took out #25 Oregon State.

To be fair, even with a single-week record of 8 victories, the FCS compiled just an 8-21 mark against the FBS in the opening weekend of the season. Major conferences such as the SEC, ACC and Big Ten combined to go 8-0 in their matchups.

But in all honesty, if you were playing 29 games of Madden with your little brother, would you accept losing a single game, let alone eight of them? Probably not.

xthumbsupx

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/718-scheduling-fcs-schools-that-are-no-cupcakes

xthumbsupx

More than 8 would fall, if they were all road games for the FBS teams.

For starters W&M and Villanova probably would have won.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Nova and William and Mary 's performances were impressive in their own right.

GAD
September 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM
Will this make it tougher for strong FCS teams to schedule FBS opponents?

dudeitsaid
September 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM

I've wondered the same thing. I can't imagine it does a lot for "team spirit" when they schedule a "preseason tuneup" game and get embarrassed. I'd expect as these upsets happen more often, those AD's will use a lot more scrutiny in regards to what FCS teams to schedule.

Cocky
September 3rd, 2013, 07:48 AM

No, even the lowly FBS schools are too arrogant to realize FCS football has some good teams. Just check the SB board only the GaSo and App fans accept that the FCS schools can play.

Smitty
September 3rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
I don't think it will keep FBS schools from scheduling FCS schools. App hasn't had a problem since the Michigan win.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
As I've said before, as long as the Ohio States and Michigans are making truckloads of money playing FCS teams and the Indianas and Northwesterns continue to get to count FCS wins towards bowl eligibility, griping about the non-conference schedules will fall on deaf ears.

BisonBacker
September 3rd, 2013, 09:22 AM

I would say it will. Not saying I agree but think about it this way. Would you be happy or excited to see a DII team come in and play at your house?

Hammerhead
September 3rd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Does anyone know how the strength of schedule will be calculated for the FBS playoffs? If FCS opponents automatically lower SOS, then I would imagine that the SEC teams and Oregon would be less likely to schedule even a perennial playoff team from the FCS. If something like the Sagarin rating is used, then the top teams might be swayed to play an FCS school to visit instead of some bottom feeder from the MAC or WAC.

GAD
September 3rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Another question any chance NDSU or EWU will be ranked in the FBS poll?
remember after App States win at Michigan someone said schools from lower divisions could be included in there poll

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
Another question any chance NDSU or EWU will be ranked in the FBS poll?
remember after App States win at Michigan someone said schools from lower divisions could be included in there poll

No. JMU also defeated a ranked VT team and was not ranked. You have to be more than an upset to get ranked. They may get some votes, I know JMU got one top 25 vote at least when we beat VT, but don't count on any appearance in the top 25. The novelty has worn off for the sports writers, and KSU and Oregon St. are no Michigan in terms of shots heard 'round the world.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know how the strength of schedule will be calculated for the FBS playoffs? If FCS opponents automatically lower SOS, then I would imagine that the SEC teams and Oregon would be less likely to schedule even a perennial playoff team from the FCS. If something like the Sagarin rating is used, then the top teams might be swayed to play an FCS school to visit instead of some bottom feeder from the MAC or WAC.

Stay tuned.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
I think the FBS schools in the lower tier need to avoid the good FCS schools and stick to scheduling Lehigh and other lightweights.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
I think the FBS schools in the lower tier need to avoid the good FCS schools and stick to scheduling Lehigh and other lightweights.

From your lips to Duke's ears. xlolx

BisonTru
September 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
Neither ndsu or ewu received any votes in either the ap or coaches poll. I thought there might be a chance in the ap poll. Dennis Dodd treated fcs very nicely in his power rankings. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/23450521/power-poll-ohio-state-on-top-but-fcs-gaining-ground