PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings Week 2

uofmman1122
September 1st, 2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry to steal the thunder from JALMOND, but I don't feel like waiting much. http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

1. Eastern Washington - There's no question they're flying high as the #1 team right now. Vernon Adams looks like a baller, and they straight up ruined OSU's season. Their defense may not be as strong as some others in the conference, but if they can put up 49 on the AP #25 team, who cares? Eastern welcomes Western Oregon next week.

2. Montana - As shocking as the Eagles' game with OSU was, the Griz game was only slightly less shocking. While the score read 30-6, it never was really that close, as Montana squandered away two red zone attempts and kneeled down on the 3 yard-line to end the game. App State was simply outmanned and outplayed all night long by a team many had already written off based on their subpar season last year. The same defense that gave up a record 660 yards passing last year held what was assumed to be one of the FCS's best passing attacks to 205 yards. All is right with the Griz world once again, and they have a rare early-season bye week ahead.

3. Montana State - The Bobcats jumped out early and never looked back against overmatched Monmouth. Some garbage TDs late against the MSU third-stringers made it seem closer than it was. The only shocking thing was that Denarius McGhee didn't throw a single TD pass. Not a lot to go off of after this game, but they did exactly what they needed to. The Bobcats travel down to SMU next.

4. Cal Poly - The Mustangs welcomed San Diego to Alex G. Spanos, and had a game for a while before putting it away in the third. Like MSU, not a whole lot to go on, as the rushing attack did it's job, but the new QB Vince Moraga was a serviceable 15/21 for 226 yards, but no TDs. CP takes the short bus ride to Fresno State next week.

5. Southern Utah - While USA is probably not much of a FBS team, they're still technically FBS. After losing all-world QB Sorenson last year, SUU rebounded nicely with a surprising win. Colton Cook probably has a whole lot of new friends this week after hitting three field goals, one to give the T-Birds the win as time expired. SUU takes on perennial Big Sky punching bag Fort Lewis next week.

6. Sacramento State - While they were taking on San Jose State, an FBS team who went 11-2 last year, they really didn't do a whole lot besides frustrate the SJSU passing game. Saffron threw 2 INTs, and the Hornets only gained 86 yards on the ground, despite holding the ball for 36 minutes. It's a good defensive sign, but not the performance they were obviously looking for. Doesn't get much easier with Arizona State next on the schedule.

7. Northern Arizona - I'm not saying I think NAU will finish 7th in the Big Sky, but there was nothing really good about their performance against Arizona, other than the fact that they held them to under 40 points. Zach Bauman was a tepid 71 yards on 21 carries, and NAU QB Kyren Poe threw 3 INTs in his debut. Like Montana, NAU has a bye next week.

8. North Dakota - Ok, so it was Valpo, who are absolutely terrible, but UND did look pretty good in its thrashing. New QB Bartels was pretty efficient, but what was surprising was the UND rushing attack that scored 6 TDs, definitely not what I was expecting. UND plays a tough South Dakota State team next week.

9. Weber State - Wow, the cellar-dweller from the previous year goes on to beat a decent SFA team. Despite having their secondary absolutely shredded for 450 yards, the Wildcats ran for a surprising 315 yards on the ground, had a 100-yard kickoff return, and a 70-yard pick six. Weber will have a bigger challenge next week when they play Utah.

10. Portland State - They rushed for 405 yards, had 672 total yards, and score 57 points....but it was against Eastern Oregon. A pretty promising showing from the Vikings, but they're going to have to beat a better team to move up in these rankings. They'll get their chance to shine next week when they take on Cal.

11. Northern Colorado - Well, they got the win, Lobato threw for 3 TDs, and held the opponent to 10 points, but the opponent was still NAIA Langston. After a coming out season last year, the Bears have high hopes for this season. They're going to have to perform better, even against NAIA schools to keep up with the ever-improving Big Sky. Next week they turn up the difficulty a notch to welcome Colorado State Pueblo.

12. Idaho State - Idaho State was idle last week, and managed to climb up from the very bottom, which means someone has some explaining to do. They start their season a week late, welcoming Dixie State next.

13. UC Davis - It takes a lot to unseat ISU as the bottom of the Big Sky, but UC Davis certainly didn't disappoint. In a game between cellar-dwellars of their respective conferences, neither team could top 300 yards total offense, while converting on less than 25% of third downs. Both teams also had kicking struggles, with UC Davis missing both attempts, finally getting on the board with 3:05 left to play. South Dakota may be improving, but they still went 1-10 last year. They get a chance to redeem themselves next week when they travel to Nevada.

The Big Sky went 9-3 this week. http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gifhttp://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gifhttp://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif
2-2 against FBS, 5-1 OOC in FCS, and 2-0 v.s lower divisions.

coover
September 2nd, 2013, 01:11 AM
I like your analysis this week. But I still wonder how Idaho State could be as high at 12th. Dixie State of St. George, which wants to eventually go FCS, will slay the Idaho State Dragons.

uofmman1122
September 2nd, 2013, 01:30 AM
From what I heard from UCD fans, the game was absolutely terrible.

Getting blown out by a marginal/decent FCS team (like ISU has been) is one thing, but being handed ample opportunity to beat a terrible FCS team and yet squandering it away in every chance you get is worthy of being last on the list.

ISU may have gotten lucky by not playing, but UCD easily had the worst performance of all the BSC teams. Lucky for them, I guess.

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2013, 04:14 AM
Now for my thunder...

Great showing from the Big Sky. Two strong wins over the FBS, one over a ranked BCS team, and a great win over a strong FCS program. How can we as a conference improve on this? It is definitely going to be a wild one in the conference and next week will most likely be just as crazy. Most teams are stepping up this weekend so more chances for an upset. Here are this week's power rankings. As usual, all are my opinion only. This week (last week). Should be some good discussion as the Griz fan from Japan couldn't wait.

1. Eastern Washington (2)---Sounds like the Eagles have found their quarterback and also located some receivers after their game against previously BCS ranked Oregon State. They are all set to challenge for the top spot in the conference. This weekend gets a bit easier (perhaps) as they stay home to face the DII's Western Oregon team.

2. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats did what they had to and did what they could against the former Northeast team, Monmouth, and came out with a resounding win. The trick is now, they have to feel good about heading down to face the FBS Southern Methodist team, a team that is rebuilding. A win is a must. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year.

3. Montana (4)---Obviously, last season's painful chapter for the Grizzlies is coming to a close if there is any indication of their home win over Appalachian State. They looked all set to regain their lofty status at the top of the conference. If they want to keep it going, they will have to wait out this week and continue it next week.

4. Cal Poly (7)---The Mustangs looked pretty strong themselves in answering the questions about them in their game at home against San Diego. Whether it can translate into a sound season remains to be seen as this week, they move up a notch to play the FBS's Fresno State team.

5. North Dakota (5)---The former Sioux did all they could against an overmatched Valparaiso team. They put Valparaiso early and let the subs take over. The stakes have been risen this weekend as they will host a strong South Dakota State team from the Missouri Valley conference.

6. Southern Utah (9)---So South Alabama is playing with the full allotment of FBS scholarships, yet the Thunderbirds, in what should have been considered a rebuilding year, came out of the game with a surprising win. It begs the question of just how good is this Thunderbirds team. This weekend, they get DII's Fort Lewis at home.

7. Northern Arizona (3)---Yes, the Lumberjacks did play up to the Pac-12, going on the road to Arizona and they did get shut out, but based on what happened elsewhere, that become quite a big deal. The strength the conference showed, should have been enough for them to at least be competitive. They get this weekend off to try to figure it out.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---The Bears did what they needed to do this time around by getting the win over the NAIA's Langston team. Whether that prepares them for a breakout season remains to be seen. This weekend they stay at home and play DII's own Colorado State-Pueblo.

9. Sacramento State (6)---Again, given the strength that the conference showed this weekend, the Hornets game with San Jose State should have been closer if the Hornets want a shot at contending this year. This weekend, they put their 2-0 record the last two years against the Pac-12 on the line against Arizona State on Thursday.

10. Weber State (11)---Granted Stephen F Austin is not supposed to set the Southland on fire this year, but given the struggles the Wildcats went though last season, no one could have seen 50 points scored. Yet, that is what happened. Are the Wildcats prepared to be the surprise this year. This weekend they play big Pac-12 brother Utah.

11. Portland State (10)---Again the Vikings are a team that did what they needed to do against the NAIA's Eastern Oregon squad, yet fell victim to the strength the conference showed as a whole. They get a chance to do that as well this weekend as they head down to play the Pac-12's own California team.

12. UC-Davis (12)---Rebuilding time for the Aggies and a trip on the road to the Missouri Valley's cellar dweller, South Dakota, didn't go so well. The typical ugly game where there has to be a winner and a loser because that is what is dictated. Another chance for them to break through, but against the FBS's Nevada team.

13. Idaho State (13)---The Bengals obviously wanted a shot, given at what happened this weekend. Their season will begin this weekend as they bring in DII's Dixie State. Hopefully questions will begin to be answered and they will move on.

RECAP: 1-7 very close, 8-10 slightly off, 11 a step back, 12-13 off a bit.

Bohcat
September 2nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
I think the race for the Big Sky title is going to be epic to watch. I only watched the msu/ewu/um games but my take away from this weekend is that anyone of these 3 teams can be conference champ. (Not to mention Sac, poly, and nau, i just didnt watch those games so i dont want to comment).

Eastern went punch for punch with Oregon State and looked better doing it. And damn, Vernon Adams looked good. I honestly wasnt impressed with him last year after the game with msu but he has me now.

Montana made a traditional power in App State look very pedistrian. New running back Van looked really good as well.

And Montana State come firing on all cylinders right out of the gate and beat Monmouth in a fashion that they should have. The o-line looked improved over last year, but the real test will be next week against a better SMU team. Which now because of the bevy of impressive wins last weekend turned this game into a "cool if we can win it" to "we better win this to show we belong with the top of the fcs"

Excited for another great year! Im glad msu/um/ewu all play each other this year, so it can be settled on the field.

MplsBison
September 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
The real question is, do any of these teams have the guts to come to Fargo in the playoffs and have a chance against the Bison? I would love nothing more than for EWU to get a taste of their own medicine, but it's still way too early to be thinking about that. A guy can dream though...

Looks like SDSU traveling up to Grand Forks this week is as close a comparison as we're going to have this season. Still a ton of football to be played!

Grizalltheway
September 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
The real question is, do any of these teams have the guts to come to Fargo in the playoffs and have a chance against the Bison? I would love nothing more than for EWU to get a taste of their own medicine, but it's still way too early to be thinking about that. A guy can dream though...

Looks like SDSU traveling up to Grand Forks this week is as close a comparison as we're going to have this season. Still a ton of football to be played!

You're right that it's early, but I do think we have the size and physicality to have a chance against you guys. The battle in the trenches would be a sight to see.xnodx

GoAgs72
September 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Aggie coaches went with 3 year starter Wright at QB although Aggie fans almost universally supported Boise State transfer Laughrea. The fans were right. Laughrea played one quarter and out-performed Wright easily with more passing yardage in one quarter than Wright had had in three quarters plus some decent rushing yardage. If the Aggie coaches stick with Wright we really will only be favored in the Idaho State game. With Laughrea we might win 3 to 5 games - he's that much better. The already thin Aggie O-line also had an injury in Saturday's game. Our rushing game looks greatly improved with some new faces.

Red & Black
September 2nd, 2013, 12:56 PM

Still a hater? 3 years ago, get over it.

I respect the NDSU program and team, but boy do they have some douche fans on the interwebs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MplsBison
September 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
Still a hater? 3 years ago, get over it.

I respect the NDSU program and team, but boy do they have some douche fans on the interwebs.

Three years isn't that long ago.

For all we know, the blown call could end up having cost these seniors a chance at four-peat national champions.