PDA

View Full Version : Post Michigan Financial Questions for Appalachian State Fans

No_Skill
September 1st, 2013, 05:35 PM
I want to preface this post by stating that I fully realize that the win over Kansas State will not have the same effects for NDSU that the Michigan win had for Appy. The media attention and the win itself are simply not in the same ballpark.

That said, what additional financial benefits did App State see following the win over Michigan? I remember a period of growth following the win, but what specifically did the leaders at ASU do to capitalize on the win? Did your booster group hit the campaign trail to drum up donations? Did you gain extra corporate sponsors? Did boosters drive up to the athletic department and dump out buckets of cash? What worked and what didn't...what did you like and what did you not like?

I am of the opinion that we need to milk this win for all it's worth. At the same time, I really don't want to see a bunch of commemorative merchandise for sale. To me, that lends credence to those who state that this game was our "superbowl"...and I hate that...it wasn't.

Finally, I think that the team itself and the coaches need to distance themselves from this win as much as possible. They need to put it behind them and focus on the goals ahead. In fact, I'd almost stop answering any questions regarding the win for the remainder of the season. The AD and Marketing Team on the other hand need to beat this thing to death until we are sick of hearing about it.

Thoughts?

theasushow
September 1st, 2013, 05:46 PM
It was a great win for NDSU, but I agree they need to put it behind them. I have heard lots of "hand them the trophy", "they are unbeatable", 3 peat is a definite", etc. and in 2007 we heard the EXACT same stuff after the Michigan win...and APP went on to lose twice that year. After the big win we felt invincible, and there seems to be a little of that amongst the NDSU faithful. By all means enjoy the victory, but next week is a new week. ASU did go on to win it all that year, but if it wasn't for a jmu fumble it never would have happened. That target just tripled in size on NDSU.

taper
September 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM
I'm not convinced K-State is the toughest team we'll face this year...

Thundar
September 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM
It was a great win for NDSU, but I agree they need to put it behind them. I have heard lots of "hand them the trophy", "they are unbeatable", 3 peat is a definite", etc. and in 2007 we heard the EXACT same stuff after the Michigan win...and APP went on to lose twice that year. After the big win we felt invincible, and there seems to be a little of that amongst the NDSU faithful. By all means enjoy the victory, but next week is a new week. ASU did go on to win it all that year, but if it wasn't for a jmu fumble it never would have happened. That target just tripled in size on NDSU.

the players have put it behind them, me being a fan and talking about it has no effect on the team. so if the bison faithful and other fans want to bask in he sun we will. I guarantee Bohl isn't and neither are the players

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM
the players have put it behind them, me being a fan and talking about it has no effect on the team. so if the bison faithful and other fans want to bask in he sun we will. I guarantee Bohl isn't and neither are the players

I'm skeptical of this mindset (not that you're the only one who has said it). There isn't some sort of wall between the players and the fans in terms of mindsets. Now, I'm not saying that players frequent message boards or what have you, but what I can say is that media hype (especially in an area like North Dakota or Boone where the people of those towns/states are die-hard fans of the local college teams) does somewhat play a roll in how some teams see other teams.

I'd like to think that the average FCS player is as knowledgeable about his conference as the average FCS viewer is. Their mindsets kind of reflect it and it can bleed over to games to some extent. If all of your fans and discussions have the same common themes it can have a psychological effect if that makes sense.

geaux_sioux
September 1st, 2013, 06:44 PM
I'm not convinced K-State is the toughest team we'll face this year...

UNI SDSU and SIU at least could be better.