Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho St
South Dakota State @ North Dakota
W. Oregon (DII) @ Eastern Washington
Montana St @ SMU
Ft. Lewis (DII) @ Southern Utah
UC Davis @ Nevada
Cal Poly @ Fresno St

Went 8-4 on my picks last week.

I almost picked MSU over SMU but I went with the home team.

Skyhawk71
September 1st, 2013, 04:27 PM
After the worst week in my Big Sky Challenge History- this week has to be better
Th. S5
Sac State @ Arizona State
S. S7
Weber State @ Utah
CSU-Pueblo @ Northern Colorado
Portland State @ UC Flagship
Dixie State @ Idaho State
Western Oregon @ Eastern Washington
Montana State @ Southern Methodist
Fort Lewis @ Southern Utah (Go Skyhawks)
UC Davis @ Nevada-Reno
Cal Poly @ Fresno State

coover
September 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
Thursday Sept 5

Sac State @ Arizona State - Big guys vs. little guys

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State @ Utah - See comments above re: Sacramento State
CSU-Pueblo (DII) @ Northern Colorado - Northern Colorado, though they beat lowly Langston was bad, bad, bad. I'll give the game to the Div II team
Portland St @ Cal - No question about this, big guys against little guys
Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho St - Dixie State wants to (and eventually will) go to FCS. Idaho State, though it is FCS, plays like a bad D II team
South Dakota State @ North Dakota - Jacks looked good against Butler. North Dakota looked good against Valparaiso. It might go the other way.
W. Oregon (DII) @ Eastern Washington - Duh!
Montana St @ SMU - Great FCS vs. bad FBS. Emotion wins this one.
Ft. Lewis (DII) @ Southern Utah - Big FCS vs. pretty good DII
UC Davis @ Nevada - No FCS over FBS upset here
Cal Poly @ Fresno St - Cal Poly's good offense and great defense against Fresno State's good offense and NO Defense, Defense wins the game IMHO

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM
8-3 First week, didn't picks UC Davis/USD for some reason....

Arizona State 45 Sac State 17 : Two FBS games to start the year? Must be another program in need of money...
Utah 42 Weber State 20: The Utes too strong
Northern Colorado 34 CSU-Pueblo 6 : A weak start to the year for UNC schedule wise
Cal 52 Portland St 17: The Bears showed a lot of potential last night against a very good Northwestern team...
Idaho State 31 Dixie State 17: ISU better win...
UND 38 SDSU 31: This should be an excellent game, i'll take the home time in a slight upset...
EWU 49 W. Oregon 20: If you beat the Beavers, you better beat a lower tier team from Oregon...
SMU 27 Montana State 17: I was extremely impressed with MSU on Thurs. SMU is just a little too good...
Southern Utah 31 Ft. Lewis 10: Thunderbids with little trouble
Nevada 30 UC Davis 20: Wolfpack win but UC hangs around....
Fresno State 41 Cal Poly 27: I think the Mustangs are really good but the Bulldogs have too many weapons....

Red & Black
September 1st, 2013, 05:52 PM
Thursday Sept 5

Sac State 14 @ Arizona State 42: It'd be great to get another Big Sky victory over the Pac, but I don't see it happening in this one.

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State 21 @ Utah 38: Look for Weber to give Utah a bit of a game before they get worn out in the 2nd half.
CSU-Pueblo (DII) 7 @ Northern Colorado 35: Yup.
Portland St 17 @ Cal 48: Won't be close.
Dixie St (DII) 21 @ Idaho St 31: ISU will get at least one win this year.South Dakota State 24 @ North Dakota 35: I will go with the Big Sky team in this one. Should be a close game though.
W. Oregon (DII) 10 @ Eastern Washington 48: This game has all the makings of a let-down. Unfortunately for the Wolves, it ain't gunna happen.
Montana St 21 @ SMU 35: We will get a better idea of how good MSU actually is. I don't think they beat SMU, though.
Ft. Lewis (DII) 3 @ Southern Utah 38: No contest - SUU opens the season 2-0.
UC Davis 10 @ Nevada 31: Another game that probably won't be very close.
Cal Poly 17 @ Fresno St 28: Interesting game. Poly had a good shot if they keep FSU below 21 points. Probably won't happen.

jayhawkdaddy
September 2nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Big Sky Conference picks--Week 2
Thursday Sept 5

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State @ Utah
CSU-Pueblo (DII) @ Northern Colorado
Portland St @ California
Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho State
Montana St @ Southern Methodist
UC Davis @ Nevada
Cal Poly @ CSU-Fresno

Bisonwinagn
September 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Apparently some of you are mistaking SDSU with South Dakota. Your prediction would be more accurate if UND was playing USD. However, SDSU should win similar to the same score as Montana State last year let's say 45 -17.

I have MSU and Cal Poly both losing close games with the rest being blowouts.

Bohcat
September 2nd, 2013, 06:42 PM
Thursday Sept 5

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State @ Utah
Portland St @ Cal
Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho St
Montana St @ SMU
UC Davis @ Nevada
Cal Poly @ Fresno St

Hopefully I do better than I did last week. I think Fresno and SMU will be on high alert after last weeks fcs/fbs outcomes. Thanks for nothing Eastern.... xlolx

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
7-5 for the week, need to improve. Last week, if I would have been a homer and took the Big Sky in every game, I'd be at a respectable 9-3. With Sacramento State playing on Thursday, I need to get these out right away. Here are the predictions in what could be another crazy week featuring Big Sky teams.

CP at Fresno State---The Mustangs opened up last week with a win at home against San Diego. However, Fresno State is supposed to be a favorite in the Mountain West's western division (opposite Boise State). The Mustangs may find out a difference between the two pretty quickly...Fresno State 31, CP 20.

Western Oregon at EWU---For all the hype and attention the Eagles are getting in their performance in the win over Oregon State, they better not be too cocky and overlook Western Oregon. A Western Oregon win would create quite the fuss in the short distance between Corvallis and Monmouth...EWU 35, Western Oregon 14.

Dixie State at ISU---The Bengals did not play last week so with a win over the DII Dixie State team, they could actually start the year with a winning record. Hard to imagine given where they were at the end of last year. They should beat a DII team...ISU 28, Dixie State 10.

MSU at Southern Methodist---With all that happened, both in conference and on the national stage, the Bobcats may be in a situation where they have to win over their FBS opponent to keep pace. Especially playing Southern Methodist who are in a down year this year...MSU 31, Southern Methodist 26.

South Dakota State at UND---A game between two teams that throttled the Pioneer Conference last week. The former Sioux beat Valparaiso and South Dakota State beat Butler. This is the game the former Sioux need to get their season rolling...UND 28, South Dakota State 26.

CSU-Pueblo at UNC---The Bears have two sub DI programs on their schedule, last week they beat Langston and now this week they get DII's CSU-Pueblo. Playing two sub DI programs may be strange but it is a good way to get the season off to a good start...UNC 32, CSU-Pueblo 12.

PSU at California---The Vikings didn't show much last week in their win over the NAIA's Eastern Oregon and still came out with an easy win. This week, a big step up to the Pac-12 in playing at California. Maybe too big a step up for the Vikings...California 31, PSU 14.

Sac St at Arizona State---The Hornets offense did not look well against the Mountain West's San Jose State team, but this week they move up to the Pac-12 where they are 2-0 in the last two years. However, this year they play Arizona State and they know who the Hornets are...Arizona State 23, Sac St 10.

Fort Lewis at SUU---A surprising win for the Thunderbirds last week on the road against the FBS South Alabama team. Now they hope they don't tub their toe (or talon) in entertaining the DII's own Fort Lewis team. A loss this week may be just as shocking as the win was last week...SUU 38, Fort Lewis 10.

UCD at Nevada---Last week was a good chance as any for the Aggies to get a FCS win, playing Missouri Valley's own cellar dweller South Dakota, yet they couldn't get it done. Now they have to head up the road to play the FBS Nevada team. This may be ugly...Nevada 38, UCD 7.

WSU at Utah---Surprising, the Wildcats were able to post 50 points last week against the Southland's Stephen F Austin team and get the win. Moving up to play the Pac-12's Utah team may not garner the same results but it may be closer than some think...Utah 24, WSU 17.

kab
September 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
I doubt that score should be a toss up

RabidRabbit
September 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Big Sky Conference picks--Week 2
Thursday Sept 5

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State @ Utah
Portland St @ California
Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho State
UC Davis @ Nevada
Cal Poly @ CSU-Fresno

CrazyCat
September 2nd, 2013, 08:20 PM
There is no way MSU beats SMU becaus MSU hasn't performed well in the playoffs the last 3 years.

dudeitsaid
September 2nd, 2013, 08:36 PM
There is no way MSU beats SMU becaus MSU hasn't performed well in the playoffs the last 3 years.

xlolx That is some tough logic to argue with!

GoCats23
September 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
I almost picked MSU over SMU but I went with the home team.

I watched the SMU and TT game this weekend, SMU wasn't too impressive. Their defense wasn't good, I think it'll be a high scoring game. I'm being a homer as well as the fact that we have to win to keep pace this year.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
I watched the SMU and TT game this weekend, SMU wasn't too impressive. Their defense wasn't good, I think it'll be a high scoring game. I'm being a homer as well as the fact that we have to win to keep pace this year.

It sure is a good year :).

bonarae
September 2nd, 2013, 11:28 PM
Thursday Sept 5

Sac State @ Arizona State - more than 21

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State @ Utah - more than 21
CSU-Pueblo (DII) @ Northern Colorado - toss-up, less than 14
Portland St @ Cal - more than 21
Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho St - 14 to 21
South Dakota State @ North Dakota - 7 to 14
W. Oregon (DII) @ Eastern Washington - more than 28
Montana St @ SMU - more than 7
Ft. Lewis (DII) @ Southern Utah - more than 21
UC Davis @ Nevada - more than 21
Cal Poly @ Fresno St - toss-up here. Less than 7

Mustang Man
September 3rd, 2013, 02:52 PM

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State @ Utah
Portland St @ California
Dixie St (DII) @ Idaho State
UC Davis @ Nevada
Cal Poly @ CSU-Fresno

deez_na
September 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Apparently some of you are mistaking SDSU with South Dakota. Your prediction would be more accurate if UND was playing USD. However, SDSU should win similar to the same score as Montana State last year let's say 45 -17.

I have MSU and Cal Poly both losing close games with the rest being blowouts.

Agree on the SDSU UND prediction. I get ripped for talking about UND having no chance in this game.

deez_na
September 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
Weber State @ Utah
Portland St @ Cal
Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho St
Montana St @ SMU
UC Davis @ Nevada
Cal Poly @ Fresno St

dbackjon
September 3rd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Thursday Sept 5

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State @ Utah
Portland St @ Cal
Dixie St (DII)@ Idaho St
Montana St @ SMU
UC Davis @ Nevada
Cal Poly @ Fresno St

mvemjsunpx
September 5th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Thursday

Sac State 9-37 Arizona St. — The Sun Devils should have just enough to end the Sac/Pac-12 curse

Saturday

Woregon 10-44 EWU — Classic letdown game… xcoffeex

Portland St. 21-48 Cal — PSU's defense isn't good enough to take down a not-terrible FBS

Cal Poly 17-42 Fresno — The Bulldogs were shredded through the air by Rutgers; fortunately CP won't do that

UC Davis 14-54 Nevada — A match made in heaven: Nevada gave up 58 points last week, Davis scored 7

Dixie 20-48 Idaho St. — Good thing for Idaho State they scheduled weak non-DIs

Ft. Lewis 3-58 Suutah — Fort Lewis was awful last year, just awful…

Weber 17-56 Utah — Last week's result was surprising, this one won't be

Montana St. 17-41 SMU — Winning in the Texas heat against a decent FBS team just isn't likely

CSU-Pueblo 24-38 NoCo — The ThunderWolves are a really good DII, but NoCo won't be undermanned this week

SoDak St. 35-17 NoDak — This could get real ugly if the No-Nicks haven't upgraded their run defense

MSUBobcat
September 5th, 2013, 10:55 AM
After going 8-4 last week (thanks a lot EWU and WSU xnonono2x), hoping to improve this week.

Thursday Sept 5

Sac State 10 @ Arizona State 41 Sac failed to put up any points on SJSU. I think they get on the board, but this year starts off pretty rough for the Hornets

Saturday Sept 7

Weber State 21 @ Utah 38 Gotta admit, Weber shocked me last week after the horrible season they had last year. Don't think they'll shock me again.
CSU-Pueblo (DII) 10 @ Northern Colorado 3 Playing down again in week 2. At least they stepped up from NAIA.
Portland St 17 @ Cal 45 After drubbing little brother last week, PSU plays up to take a beating of their own
Dixie St (DII) 16 @ Idaho St 34 As bad as ISU has been of late, they took a bye week in order to prepare for a weak Dixie State team. :D
South Dakota State 30 @ North Dakota 17 The first of 3 straight weeks of tough home games. Zenner will run all over in this one.
W. Oregon (DII) 21 @ Eastern Washington 56 If #25 OSU couldn't stop the Eag's offense, Western Oregon sure won't either. EWU's point total limited to how bad Baldwin wants to rub it in
Montana St 27 @ SMU 34 I've said it many times this (early) season: The D has questions to be answered due to graduation and an early injury bug. I hope I'm underselling them and the Cats follow in the footsteps of some of our FCS brothers in bringing home a FBS scalp. However, the game against MU wasn't enough to judge their capabilities. This game will paint a better picture.
Ft. Lewis (DII) 9 @ Southern Utah 37 SUU didn't struggle as much as I thought they would without Sorenson running the show, taking down FBS USA. Fort Lewis went 0-10 last year, with 5 games scoring in the single digits including 3 shutouts.
UC Davis 13 @ Nevada 31 ​Davis could only manage 7 points against MVFC's bottom feeder (though quasi-PL champion xsmugx) last week. Might be a long year if they can't find an offense.
Cal Poly 20@ Fresno St 42 Carr leads Fresno State to convincing win over CP.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Here were my picks from week 1:

As far as the games go, none of the Thurs or Fri games look to be competitive at first blush. The SUU and Sac St games might be, though SJSU was really good last year and without more info on SUU (see above post) I'm inclined to think those mountain boys will think the air down in Mobile like soup and will wilt in the heat. So I'll likely go against those two. The rest I'm assuming will be easy wins for UND, MT St, PDX St and Arizona.

I picked SD over Davis in the MVFC week 1 thread, so sticking with that here. I assume Poly and UNC will win.

The remaining three games look interesting. I know EW is supposed to be an elite FCS program now (in spit of their stadium, which I know is going to be fixed) but Oregon St is an AP top 25. Weber and Montana both host good FCS teams.

Give me Weber and Montana at home and Oregon St.

Correct picks: UND over Valpo, MT St over Monmouth, San Jose over Sac, PDX over East OR, Arizona over NAU, USD over UCD, Poly over San Diego, UNC over Langston, Weber over SFA and Montana over App

Incorrect picks: SUU over South Alabama and EWU over Oregon St

Week record: 10-2
Season record: 10-2

Since I'm late I'll give myself a loss on the Sac St v Arizona St game, though I would've certainly picked Arizona St. Ouch!

As far as the rest of the games Sat, I'll take all the Big Sky teams over DII schools and I'll take all the FBS teams over Big Sky schools. That leaves SDSU vs. UND, which I picked SDSU in the MVFC thread so I'll stick with that here.

Tough to get games out west! You're either playing FBS or DII....I guess that's all there is. Other than San Diego.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
No F'ing way.... Northern Colorado - come on!!

Lost to CSU-Pueblo 41-36.

What the heck happened to this program?? I'm certain UNC won at least one DII national championship in the 1990's (maybe two?).

SactoHornetFan
September 7th, 2013, 07:15 PM
No F'ing way.... Northern Colorado - come on!!

Lost to CSU-Pueblo 41-36.

What the heck happened to this program?? I'm certain UNC won at least one DII national championship in the 1990's (maybe two?).

They won back to back championships in 96-97.

JALMOND
September 8th, 2013, 01:56 AM
7-5 for the week, need to improve. Last week, if I would have been a homer and took the Big Sky in every game, I'd be at a respectable 9-3. With Sacramento State playing on Thursday, I need to get these out right away. Here are the predictions in what could be another crazy week featuring Big Sky teams.

CP at Fresno State---The Mustangs opened up last week with a win at home against San Diego. However, Fresno State is supposed to be a favorite in the Mountain West's western division (opposite Boise State). The Mustangs may find out a difference between the two pretty quickly...Fresno State 31, CP 20.

Western Oregon at EWU---For all the hype and attention the Eagles are getting in their performance in the win over Oregon State, they better not be too cocky and overlook Western Oregon. A Western Oregon win would create quite the fuss in the short distance between Corvallis and Monmouth...EWU 35, Western Oregon 14.

Dixie State at ISU---The Bengals did not play last week so with a win over the DII Dixie State team, they could actually start the year with a winning record. Hard to imagine given where they were at the end of last year. They should beat a DII team...ISU 28, Dixie State 10.

MSU at Southern Methodist---With all that happened, both in conference and on the national stage, the Bobcats may be in a situation where they have to win over their FBS opponent to keep pace. Especially playing Southern Methodist who are in a down year this year...MSU 31, Southern Methodist 26.

South Dakota State at UND---A game between two teams that throttled the Pioneer Conference last week. The former Sioux beat Valparaiso and South Dakota State beat Butler. This is the game the former Sioux need to get their season rolling...UND 28, South Dakota State 26.

CSU-Pueblo at UNC---The Bears have two sub DI programs on their schedule, last week they beat Langston and now this week they get DII's CSU-Pueblo. Playing two sub DI programs may be strange but it is a good way to get the season off to a good start...UNC 32, CSU-Pueblo 12.

PSU at California---The Vikings didn't show much last week in their win over the NAIA's Eastern Oregon and still came out with an easy win. This week, a big step up to the Pac-12 in playing at California. Maybe too big a step up for the Vikings...California 31, PSU 14.

Sac St at Arizona State---The Hornets offense did not look well against the Mountain West's San Jose State team, but this week they move up to the Pac-12 where they are 2-0 in the last two years. However, this year they play Arizona State and they know who the Hornets are...Arizona State 23, Sac St 10.

Fort Lewis at SUU---A surprising win for the Thunderbirds last week on the road against the FBS South Alabama team. Now they hope they don't tub their toe (or talon) in entertaining the DII's own Fort Lewis team. A loss this week may be just as shocking as the win was last week...SUU 38, Fort Lewis 10.

UCD at Nevada---Last week was a good chance as any for the Aggies to get a FCS win, playing Missouri Valley's own cellar dweller South Dakota, yet they couldn't get it done. Now they have to head up the road to play the FBS Nevada team. This may be ugly...Nevada 38, UCD 7.

WSU at Utah---Surprising, the Wildcats were able to post 50 points last week against the Southland's Stephen F Austin team and get the win. Moving up to play the Pac-12's Utah team may not garner the same results but it may be closer than some think...Utah 24, WSU 17.

8-3 for this week, 15-8 overall. Sad to say.

darell1976
September 8th, 2013, 08:28 AM
8-3 and 16-7 overall. I can't believe UNC lost.

deez_na
September 9th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Well Darrell, I admit UND made a comeback when it looked like they were done when down 21 and ended up being a good game. My guess for Zenner was 280 and he put up 295. That was close. I think UND could make games interesting if they can play with that intensity that they did late in the 4th. You found a new starting QB imo too and if he doesn't start next game Mussman needs to get his head checked.

darell1976
September 9th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Well Darrell, I admit UND made a comeback when it looked like they were done when down 21 and ended up being a good game. My guess for Zenner was 280 and he put up 295. That was close. I think UND could make games interesting if they can play with that intensity that they did late in the 4th. You found a new starting QB imo too and if he doesn't start next game Mussman needs to get his head checked.

If SDSU would have stuck with running Zenner and not throw the ball UND wouldn't have come back. I still think this defense is a duplicate of our 2012 defense. Yuck!!!

deez_na
September 9th, 2013, 08:12 AM
If SDSU would have stuck with running Zenner and not throw the ball UND wouldn't have come back. I still think this defense is a duplicate of our 2012 defense. Yuck!!!

That is very true, they didn't use him as much when they had the pedal down with that lead. It could have came back to haunt them though if UND had tied the game.

darell1976
September 9th, 2013, 09:55 AM
That is very true, they didn't use him as much when they had the pedal down with that lead. It could have came back to haunt them though if UND had tied the game.

Like Yote said on the MVFC thread, strange things happen when you go to GF, that's why he picked UND over SDSU, well he should know because UND came back down 37-17 starting the 4th quarter and won 38-37. Same here down 35-14 after Zenner blew through the line on a 4th and inches for a 46yd TD they had UND down for the count, but decided (for some dumbass reason) not to run the clock, run Zenner but throw the ball? Well now UND has Montana, a track meet last year, this year if UND's D doesn't shape up during this weeks practice...goodnight UND!!

deez_na
September 9th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Like Yote said on the MVFC thread, strange things happen when you go to GF, that's why he picked UND over SDSU, well he should know because UND came back down 37-17 starting the 4th quarter and won 38-37. Same here down 35-14 after Zenner blew through the line on a 4th and inches for a 46yd TD they had UND down for the count, but decided (for some dumbass reason) not to run the clock, run Zenner but throw the ball? Well now UND has Montana, a track meet last year, this year if UND's D doesn't shape up during this weeks practice...goodnight UND!!

Agree, Montana is looking like a different team this year too. UND can't let them score at will or it could be a long day. However if UND plays like they did in that 4th quarter this could be a squeaker.

darell1976
September 9th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Agree, Montana is looking like a different team this year too. UND can't let them score at will or it could be a long day. However if UND plays like they did in that 4th quarter this could be a squeaker.

I hope they play (and stick with) Joe Mollberg. He seemed to do better against SDSU and they need to stick with one QB, you can't do this duo QB thing for the next 4 years. It didn't work last year.

MSUBobcat
September 9th, 2013, 11:36 AM
10-1 on the week and 18-5 overall. Woulda been perfect if Oh no, NOCO didn't $#it the bed (though I see in my original prediction I picked the score to be 10-3 in favor of Pueblo, but bolded UNC; maybe I should take credit for that one too :)).

MplsBison
September 11th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Is there a week 3 thread somewhere that I missed?

darell1976
September 11th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Is there a week 3 thread somewhere that I missed?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?139329-Big-Sky-Conference-Pick-ems-Week-3

mvemjsunpx
September 11th, 2013, 08:46 PM
(whoops, wrong thread)