PDA

View Full Version : Some FCS love from ESPN

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2013, 01:47 PM
(I briefly scanned the board to see if this had been mentioned, didn't see anything)

Front page of ESPN.com...

Video of EWU's win over Oregon St +

Coming To Get YouFCS schools just want to beat the big boys. On opening weekend, did they ever.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/gamedayFinal0901/week-1

This is obviously a rare treat, so I wanted to make sure it was duly noted.

coover
September 1st, 2013, 04:28 PM
A couple more weeks of FCS - FBS action , a few more wins for the "little" guys, and it's will be all over this year for FCS mention on ESPN. Yes, they will telecast some of the playoff games, but in the front office management at ESPN, FCS is hardly a visible entity. Dollars from sponsors are all they are after, and the sponsors don't want McNeese State, Cal Poly, or even North Dakota State. They want to see Alabama, Notre Dame, Southern California, Michigan ... the "big" guys. Even lesser FBS teams are ignored. You won't see much of San Diego State, Nevada, Florida Atlantic, Troy, or Marshall. No sponsor wants to see a New Mexico State or a Southern Mississippi on a national broadcast (unless they are playing Texas A&M or similar). So you might see a mention in the next couple of weeks if Cal Poly beats Fresno State and/or Colorado State. But you won't hear anything on ESPN after that about Cal Poly until late in the playoffs, and that is only becauseBu they are contracted to do so.

This comment was in no way intended to insult anybody. If you are a New Mexico State fan, you realize the lack of national interest in your school, as I realize the lack of national interest (in terms of sport) of my guys from San Luis Obispo. Cal Poly and they others mentioned here are fine schools with excellent athletic programs. But they don't have a national following. There really is no "Portland State" Nation.

dystopiamembrane
September 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Rittenberg article does not count Georgia State (transitioning to FBS).

South Alabama (Sun Belt) 21-22 Southern Utah (Big Sky)
Connecticut (American Athletic) 18-33 Towson (Colonial Athletic)
Georgia State (Sun Belt) 21-31 Samford (Southern)
Kansas State (Big 12) 21-24 North Dakota State (Missouri Valley)
Oregon State (Pac-12) 46-49 Eastern Washington (Big Sky)
South Florida (American Athletic) 21-53 McNeese State (Southland)
San Diego State (Mountain West) 19-40 Eastern Illinois (Ohio Valley)
Iowa State (Big 12) 20-28 Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley)

Thundar
September 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM
Rittenberg article does not count Georgia State (transitioning to FBS).

South Alabama (Sun Belt) 21-22 Southern Utah (Big Sky)
Connecticut (American Athletic) 18-33 Towson (Colonial Athletic)
Georgia State (Sun Belt) 21-31 Samford (Southern)
Kansas State (Big 12) 21-24 North Dakota State (Missouri Valley)
Oregon State (Pac-12) 46-49 Eastern Washington (Big Sky)
South Florida (American Athletic) 21-53 McNeese State (Southland)
San Diego State (Mountain West) 19-40 Eastern Illinois (Ohio Valley)
Iowa State (Big 12) 20-28 Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley)

if your going to count Georgia st then Montana beat Appy

clenz
September 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM

Georgia St is full blown fbs this year I thought

quando omni flunkus moritati

BlueHenSinfonian
September 1st, 2013, 07:01 PM
Georgia St is full blown fbs this year I thought

I don't believe they're bowl eligible, but they're listed as a full conference member on the SunBelt site.

clenz
September 1st, 2013, 08:15 PM
I don't believe they're bowl eligible, but they're listed as a full conference member on the SunBelt site.

Correct..from what I've found they are full fbs and sun belt but are ineligible for post season this year.

dudeitsaid
September 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM
Here is another article of interest:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9624936/seven-fcs-teams-pull-23m-upsets

Glad to see EWU got paid the most for their win. Wonder why some of the other schools didn't pay as much, like K State. Maybe NDSU doesn't need as much money as EWU?

Laker
September 1st, 2013, 08:35 PM
I wonder how many FBS schools will dare schedule NDSU in the future. Those who have them on the schedule now know that even if they win on the scoreboard, they are going to get hit in the trenches. I know that Minnesota doesn't want anything to do with them.

dgtw
September 1st, 2013, 08:47 PM
I think if Georgia State wins the Sun Belt they can go to a bowl.

Herder
September 1st, 2013, 09:13 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9624936/seven-fcs-teams-pull-23m-upsets

Glad to see EWU got paid the most for their win. Wonder why some of the other schools didn't pay as much, like K State. Maybe NDSU doesn't need as much money as EWU?

NDSU actually got more than listed here, but they gave some of it to Montana State (cause they need the money so bad), just to be neighborly.

dudeitsaid
September 2nd, 2013, 02:06 AM
I wonder how many FBS schools will dare schedule NDSU in the future. Those who have them on the schedule now know that even if they win on the scoreboard, they are going to get hit in the trenches. I know that Minnesota doesn't want anything to do with them.

Will any of these FBS schools just get wise, and stop scheduling top tier FCS schools? NDSU has a history of beating FBS, and EWU has been in the last four to the last play and won two of them. Add to that the number of other wins, and the few FBS ranked teams that have lost, will they eventually steer clear, and actually only schedule the lower level FCS teams that will ensure the types of embarrassments they suffered this week don't happen any longer?

dystopiamembrane
September 2nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
I used current conference.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 11:04 AM

Word was, NDSU was offered obscenely more to play OK and Pitt last year but we already had a completed schedule, and we don't back out on people even for a few hundred thousand dollars profit..

350-400 is what we have been paid for pretty much all of our big ten/XII games.

Cocky
September 2nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Will any of these FBS schools just get wise, and stop scheduling top tier FCS schools? NDSU has a history of beating FBS, and EWU has been in the last four to the last play and won two of them. Add to that the number of other wins, and the few FBS ranked teams that have lost, will they eventually steer clear, and actually only schedule the lower level FCS teams that will ensure the types of embarrassments they suffered this week don't happen any longer?

Hopefully, ESPN or The 1 will start scheduling an early season FCS v FBS match up to televise.