PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 2

carney2
September 1st, 2013, 07:58 AM
The League did not do itself proud in Week 1.

Week 2 - Sept. 7, 2013

Central Connecticut @ LEHIGH

Towson @ HOLY CROSS

Albany @ COLGATE

Villanova @ FORDHAM

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

Patriot League vs. OOC:

CAA 1-0
Mountain West 0-1
NEC 0-2

Standings (Fordham Counts!)

Fordham 1-0, 0-0
Colgate 0-1, 0-0
Georgetown 0-1,0-0
Holy Cross 0-1, 0-0

bonarae
September 1st, 2013, 08:05 AM
xchinscratchx

Towson @ HOLY CROSS - by more than 21

Albany @ COLGATE

Villanova @ FORDHAM - toss-up

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

The Maestro
September 1st, 2013, 08:05 AM
lehigh

towson

albany

fordham

lafayette

georgetown

bucknell

RichH2
September 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM
Lehigh
Towson
Gate
Nova
Pards
Bison
Hoyas

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2013, 08:11 AM
A score that really got me yesterday... Albany losing to Duquesne?! xconfusedx Colgate better not lose.

Skyhawk71
September 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM
CCSU @ Lehigh
Towson @ Holy Cross
Albany @ Colgate
Nova @ Fordham
Sacred Heart @ Lafayette
Davidson @ Georgetown
Marist @ Bucknell

Engineer86
September 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Lehigh
Towson
Gate
Nova
Pards
Bison
Hoyas

This

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Before making these picks maybe we could hear from some Crusader fans - what sayeth ye about the Bryant "issue" and the likelihood of rebounding vs. Towson?

carney2
September 1st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Before making these picks maybe we could hear from some Crusader fans - what sayeth ye about the Bryant "issue" and the likelihood of rebounding vs. Towson?

Really? Let's say that you hear that the 'saders were the victims of a zebra conspiracy and their QB had a tummy ache. That would change your opinion of this mismatch exactly how?

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2013, 12:27 PM
Those of you who having the league going 6-1 are nuts.

carney2
September 1st, 2013, 12:55 PM
Central Connecticut @ LEHIGH - Cupcake! Here we go again.

Towson @ HOLY CROSS - Bryant put 'em in the toilet; Towson flushes them down. And there goes the dream (again).

Albany @ COLGATE - I think this is a toss up, but the Albany loss to Duquesne pushes this to the 'gate.

Villanova @ FORDHAM - The Rams and 'nova can score but the 'cats can play some defense too. Not close.

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE - Cupcake! No one in Easton has any interest in this. Let's hope the malaise does not extend to the football team.

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN - Even the Hoya supporters lost some faith last week, but this is a trip to the cupcake counter.

Marist @ BUCKNELL - Marist is beneath contempt. This could get ugly. Cupcake!

That's 2 blowouts, 4 cupcakes, and a toss up between non-Titans in case you're counting. This is looking like a zero bid league. Thank God for the autobid so one team can continue on for some additional humiliation in November.

Kramer
September 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM

Towson @ HOLY CROSS - Bryant put 'em in the toilet; Towson flushes them down. And there goes the dream (again).

Albany @ COLGATE - I think this is a toss up, but the Albany loss to Duquesne pushes this to the 'gate.

Villanova @ FORDHAM - The Rams and 'nova can score but the 'cats can play some defense too. Not close.

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE - Cupcake! No one in Easton has any interest in this. Let's hope the malaise does not extend to the football team.

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN - Even the Hoya supporters lost some faith last week, but this is a trip to the cupcake counter.

That's 2 blowouts, 4 cupcakes, and a toss up between non-Titans in case you're counting. This is looking like a zero bid league. Thank God for the autobid so one team can continue on for some additional humiliation in November.

Lehigh
Towson
Colgate
Villanova
Lafayette (yuk)
Georgetown
Bucknell

UNHWildcat18
September 1st, 2013, 01:27 PM
Central Connecticut @ LEHIGH 35-21

Towson @ HOLY CROSS 47-17

Albany @ Colgate really a toss up depending on who plays better

Villanova @ FORDHAM - 38-24

Sacred Heart @LAFAYETTE Sacred Heart can make a game of it , but Lafayette will probably win

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN cant get much worse than davidson, G-town takes it.

Marist @ BUCKNELL - bucknell easy because Marist is horrid.

Fordham
September 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM

Tough to find fault with any of this.

Btw, I predicted a PL sweep last week. Where does that put me in the standings? I'm first, right? :D

Put me down for another PL sweep.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Lehigh 34 CCSU 17 - Some first game mistakes, overall this one is never in doubt

Towson 44 Holy Cross 28 - The Crusaders bounce back with a respectable performance

Colgate 30 Albany 17 - Given the Danes performance against Duquesne, this is a must win for the Raiders if they want respect

Villanova 49 Fordham 38 - The Rams have the offense to beat the Wildcats, unfortunately their defense is a couple steps behind

Lafayette 30 Sacred Heart 17 - Nothing great, nothing to cause concern

Georgetown 35 Davidson 14 - The Hoyas bounce back with a convincing win

Bucknell 24 Marist 6 - The Bison D leads the way

I have a real hard time seeing Lehigh, Lafayette, Georgetown and Bucknell losing. The most intriguing game is easily Colgate vs Albany.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2013, 02:49 PM

Lafayette has had a recent history of choking on their cupcakes. Just sayin'.

Sader87
September 1st, 2013, 03:06 PM
We officially "bottomed out" as a football program yesterday losing to a school that has only had football for about a decade or so.

That's the bad news. The good news???? Ummm...not much. We had no running game at all, our line was beaten on both sides of the ball, our secondary was porous, turned the ball over 4 times (3I/1F) but yet we still almost pulled this game out somehow, someway. I suppose that's the silver lining to glean from yesterday.

If Towson wants to, they could name their number next week at Fitton.

It'll probably be 2 or 3 more years of scholarship additions until we become decent again.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2013, 05:38 PM
Holy Cross's problems are internal and not league related...

RichH2
September 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Owl and Kramer check your inboxes

Fox 94
September 1st, 2013, 06:40 PM

Why is Marist beneath contempt?

i know our program is underfunded and poorly coached, but it is better than having no program at all.

how many schools packed it in? Are they beneath you contempt too?

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2013, 07:02 PM

i know our program is underfunded and poorly coached, but it is better than having no program at all.

how many schools packed it in? Are they beneath you contempt too?

Marist in not beneath contempt. I'm actually a fan of Marist football and of the college in general; I have attended several games at Leonidoff Field in the recent past (nice chairbacks, BTW). I think the sentiment is that we of the self-deprecating Patriot League would really like to see our teams perform up to expectation. A Marist victory over Bucknell is a real possibility. That would raise more than a couple of eyebrows in Center Valley.

So for me, at least, when not playing a Patriot team, GO RED FOXES!

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM
Lehigh 28-20
Towson 42-13
Albany 29-27
Nova 41-31
Pards 26-10
Gtown 27-7
Marist 20-7

Really hoping Colgate can beat Albany, but Albany will be a desparate team coming off last week. FU/Nova a toss up imo, Laf,Gtown,Bucknell...at least 1 of them will lose, just not sure which one. Liked Gtown in the first half vs Wagner, but play calling stunk up 2nd, they didnt seem aggressive at all. Hopefully they have plenty to handle Davidson. Towson may play down to HC, but it wont matter. Feel bad for Gilmore.

carney2
September 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Lafayette has had a recent history of choking on their cupcakes. Just sayin'.

No argument. The Leopards have choked on a few while the Squawks generally bite, chew and swallow as expected. With the total lack of interest surrounding Saturday's game in Easton I don't know what to expect other than a so-so lifeless turnout.

carney2
September 1st, 2013, 07:18 PM

Overzealous in my attempt to make a point and a particularly bad choice of words. Apologies to all.

Engineer86
September 1st, 2013, 07:20 PM
No argument. The Leopards have choked on a few while the Squawks generally bite, chew and swallow as expected. With the total lack of interest surrounding Saturday's game in Easton I don't know what to expect other than a so-so lifeless turnout.

Agree focus will be tough with W&M waiting next week, but games like that should be more of the norm going forward.

Go...gate
September 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM
Marist in not beneath contempt. I'm actually a fan of Marist football and of the college in general; I have attended several games at Leonidoff Field in the recent past (nice chairbacks, BTW). I think the sentiment is that we of the self-deprecating Patriot League would really like to see our teams perform up to expectation. A Marist victory over Bucknell is a real possibility. That would raise more than a couple of eyebrows in Center Valley.

I'm with Bogus. I like your school and your stadium.

ngineer
September 1st, 2013, 11:43 PM
Lehigh works out some kinks and defense proves better than expected. Frosh kicker gets first FG. LU 31-13.

Holy Cross in deep doo-doo after getting laid by Anita Bryant. Tigers roll 38-10

Both teams licking wounds. Danes embarrassed. Who shows up? 'Gate 28-27

Could be a track meet. Rams have some hurdlers, but the Wildcats stronger in the field. Defense ultimately prevails, 'Nova, 42-31

Leotards get their own cupcake and almost choke on the wrapper. Late game heroics despite Frankosaurus' three shots into the line. Laughyette, 20-17

Hoyas think it's a basketball game and expect to win, and do. 28-14.

Bucknell needs this more than Marist. Bison have enough chips to cash in. 27-13

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2013, 12:18 AM
Lehigh works out some kinks and defense proves better than expected. Frosh kicker gets first FG. LU 31-13.

Holy Cross in deep doo-doo after getting laid by Anita Bryant.

EGAD!!! xeekx

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2013, 02:18 AM
getting laid by Anita Bryant

It's a shame I'm on AGS Photoshop Strike. This one would have been legendary. :D

van
September 2nd, 2013, 07:23 AM
It's a shame I'm on AGS Photoshop Strike. This one would have been legendary. :D

I think this is just too good to pass up, strike or not!

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
I think this is just too good to pass up, strike or not!

So very tempting because so MANY things could be done with the former Miss Oklahoma . . . .

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/747/uapx.png

. . . but until AGS management revises its new avatar size restriction, labor will produce no more funny Photoshops or topical avatars.

Engineer86
September 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
So very tempting because so MANY things could be done with the former Miss Oklahoma . . . .

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/747/uapx.png

. . . but until AGS management revises its new avatar size restriction, labor will produce no more funny Photoshops or topical avatars.

Free Bogie, ... At least until Nov 17

RichH2
September 2nd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Bogie repression rampant on AGS.Call the ACLU.xcrazyx

carney2
September 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
FREE BOGIE!

Bill
September 2nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Week 2 - Sept. 7, 2013

Central Connecticut @ LEHIGH - Lehigh, 27-17

Towson @ HOLY CROSS - Towson, 34-14

Albany @ COLGATE - Colgate, 24-22

Villanova @ FORDHAM - Villanova, 46-42

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE -Lafayette, 27-10

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN - Georgetown, 21-18

Marist @ BUCKNELL - Bucknell, 29-14

heath
September 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM

Your 2 favorite teams might be in for less than a cupcake. CCSU controlled the clock and if not for a pick 6 and kick return for TD,the JMU game was closer than the score. Sacred Heart ran the ball well against Marist,so your young D line better be up to the task. Both should win,but might be the 4th before you can relax. PL goes 5-2 this week

carney2
September 2nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
Your 2 favorite teams might be in for less than a cupcake. CCSU controlled the clock and if not for a pick 6 and kick return for TD,the JMU game was closer than the score. Sacred Heart ran the ball well against Marist,so your young D line better be up to the task. Both should win,but might be the 4th before you can relax. PL goes 5-2 this week

Good points all. I am pleasantly surprised.

jayhawkdaddy
September 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Week 2 - Sept. 7, 2013

Towson @ HOLY CROSS

Albany @ COLGATE

Villanova @ FORDHAM

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM

Yes! My shore neighbor, a good friend on Long Beach Island (LBI), his most attractive daughter went there and she is always having parties and other Red Foxes swarm in. Another reason why I like the Island!

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2013, 09:01 PM
<<<< " Total Contributions?" Really?

Sader87
September 2nd, 2013, 09:02 PM
<<<< Total Contributions? Really?

Don't be a cheap bastid Bogey....oh wait......

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2013, 09:11 PM
Don't be a cheap bastid Bogey....oh wait......

It's like old Mrs. Morrison furrowing her brow with contempt when she sees that you forgot your envelope and only dropped a fiver in the collection basket.

Sader87
September 2nd, 2013, 09:40 PM
It's like old Mrs. Morrison furrowing her brow with contempt when she sees that you forgot your envelope and only dropped a fiver in the collection basket.

Wow that must be a ritzy parish...rarely drop much more than a few singles....don't get me stahted on "second collections!!!"

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
Wow that must be a ritzy parish...rarely drop much more than a few singles....don't get me stahted on "second collections!!!"

Mrs. Morrison knows me. Apparently she has assumed the authority to determine that I'm worth more.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Monsignor AGS clearly lost a bundle of the Diocese's Bingo take in last year's ND - Alabama disaster and it is now time for replenishment in today's second collection. The starving children in Biafra may be on their own for a little while....

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Yes! My shore neighbor, a good friend on Long Beach Island (LBI), his most attractive daughter went there and she is always having parties and other Red Foxes swarm in. Another reason why I like the Island!

Another compelling argument to admit the Red Foxes into the PL fold?

Pretty girls are, after all, a critical component to any serious amalgamation of distinguished colleges.....

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2013, 10:34 PM
Another compelling argument to admit the Red Foxes into the PL fold?

Pretty girls are, after all, a critical component to any serious amalgamation of distinguished colleges.....

Might have to sub-specify here, 'gate. After all, Anita Bryant was indeed a "pretty girl" back in her day . . . xrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Biafra

Now there's a reference for you. If a Patriot League Pick 'em thread morphs into a political/economic/moral discussion of a tribal enclave nation that hasn't existed for more than forty years, then we've hit a new low. Or maybe it's a new high. Whichever.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2013, 10:49 PM
Another compelling argument to admit the Redd Foxes into the PL fold?

Don't we have enough comedians around here? (;-)

PAllen
September 2nd, 2013, 11:01 PM
We beat the cupcakes and lose to the good teams, sometimes by a lot.

Towson @ HOLY CROSS

Albany @ COLGATE

Villanova @ FORDHAM

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

RichH2
September 2nd, 2013, 11:04 PM

lol... my favorite is the special collection the Bishop slips in.Pretty soon parishes will take plastic during Mass

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2013, 05:33 AM
Pretty soon parishes will take plastic during Mass

All these Patriot League engineering graduates and we still haven't come up with a "swipe n' go" collection basket handle? Shame on us. We're going to have to get to work on that because a cash machine next to the holy water still just seems a bit cheesy to me.

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2013, 05:36 AM
Don't we have enough comedians around here? (;-)

I blame ngineer for hijacking this thread with his Anita Bryant comment. Time to steering back to picks, though, because Ursus fixed the "Total Contributions" issue.

CrusaderBob
September 3rd, 2013, 08:10 AM

And you're calling Bogie a cheap bastid????

All these Patriot League engineering graduates and we still haven't come up with a "swipe n' go" collection basket handle? Shame on us. We're going to have to get to work on that because a cash machine next to the holy water still just seems a bit cheesy to me.

About 18 months ago, my parish by-passed the swipe and go and provided the option for a weekly EFT. Very convenient. So neat and clean, no hunting for the envelope or yelling "honey. where's the check book" to my wife 2 minutes before we head out the door and no make-up envelopes when you get back from vacation!

crusader11
September 3rd, 2013, 08:23 AM
Holy Cross's problems are internal and not league related...

100%

van
September 3rd, 2013, 08:55 AM
LEHIGH, hoping that opening day gaffs don't get us

Towson, and not close

COLGATE, look for week 2 improvement at home

FORDHAM, just a hunch that home cooking gives them an upset

LAFAYETTE, cubcake

GEORGETOWN, coaches get muzzled and Hoyas take care of business

BUCKNELL, although not confident in this one

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Lafayette's game will be more competitive than people think.

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Lafayette's game will be more competitive than people think.

You really think we'll be able to hang with the Pioneers for more than a quarter? xrolleyesx

Go Green
September 3rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
100%

It wasn't that long ago when Gilmore's name came up every time there was an opening in the Ivy League coaching ranks.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
FYI - the "Photoshop Strike" is over. Bobby V. is a happy camper.

Sader87
September 3rd, 2013, 01:34 PM
The real Bobby V hasn't been missed much in these parts this year Bogey.

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
The real Bobby V hasn't been missed much in these parts this year Bogey.

I thought I was being sensitive in choosing a Mets-era Bobby V. xchinscratchx

Anyhow, as the new Athletic Director for Sacred Heart University, Bobby V. will have his sights set on defeating Lafayette this weekend. I wonder if he'll make the game.

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
I thought I was being sensitive in choosing a Mets-era Bobby V. xchinscratchx

Anyhow, as the new Athletic Director for Sacred Heart University, Bobby V. will have his sights set on defeating Lafayette this weekend. I wonder if he'll make the game.

That's what I want to know most... not our starting DL, if we see a QB aside from ZZ... but if Bobby V will be on hand... I plan to taunt him heavily.

Fordhamanhattan
September 3rd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Like the Rams at home taking advantage of Villanova's letdown after their SEC sojourn: 41-29
The erstwhile Engineers show the New Britain eleven the Patriot way, 24-14
Towson takes the full measure of the Worcestor hilltoppers, 45-13
Sacred Heart is no valentine for the spotted ones, SH 34-17
Bucknell all over the former Marists, 45-0 (there are no Marist clergy still in Poughkeepsie)
Colgate pastes the Danes (the Danes) 39-21

Ivytalk
September 3rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Lehigh
Towson
Gate
Nova
Pards
Bison
Hoyas

This.

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
2-2 to open the year, but the season begins in earnest now

Central Connecticut at Lehigh Lehigh It hasn't gotten a lot of play around here, but Lehigh might have been snubbed from the postseason last year. Coming up just short of a 3rd straight unbeaten PL run wound up leaving the Hawks at home, and their back to claim what they feel is still theirs. CCSU has scuffled a bit in the last few seasons after back-to-back NEC titles in '09 and '10. The advent of scholarships there appears to have benefitted the rest of the league at their expense. Not a good feeling when they go up against one of the PL schools who has played the best without scholarship help. I suppose none of that really means much, as I expect Lehigh to be near the top of the League again, and those teams shouldn't lose to non-contending NEC teams. Redemption 2013 begins with a victory for the Hawks.

Towson at Holy Cross Towson You may not have heard, but Towson beat UConn last week. 3 years removed from the Fiesta Bowl season and everything. And it was pretty convincing too. Holy Cross, meanwhile, lost to Bryant. I do not mean to besmirch the Bulldogs' good name, but the two things aren't comparable. I see the reasons for optimism at the Cross coming into the year, but I also see a primed and ready CAA foe coming to town. Stranger things have happened, but I feel pretty safe going with the Tigers in this one.

Albany at Colgate Colgate Did we learn much from the Raiders' trip up to Colorado? Probably not. Was it kind of fun (or as much fun as taking a 3-score beating can be)? I'd say so. What does it mean for this week's game against Albany? Well, if the team is not focused this week in preparation, then it could mean a whole lot of negative things. The Danes gave us a beating to open up 2012, but now come back to Hamilton where they are 0-2 in a couple of close losses. The Danes aren't nearly as explosive as Air Force, so we'll get our first real read on if the defense is improved, plus how potent can the offense be? They looked good enough on the opening drive, but now it's time to get in gear. If this is to be a good year, winning at home against Albany is almost a must with UNH looming next week.

Villanova at Fordham Villanova I do so want to pick the Rams. I really do. 2-0 against the CAA would look pretty good for us all after some otherwise mediocre showings in recent years. And heck, if this was the Villanova team of 2011, I'd really like Fordham's chances. But this is not that team. The Wildcats will provide a better test for the Rams' offense and defense than Rhode Island did, and if they can put points on the board, I'd say that more than demonstrates Fordham will be a force to be reckoned with in the League this year. If their defense makes it so the offense doesn't have to put up all those points, well, then this one gets more interesting...

Sacred Heart at Lafayette Lafayette I really had nothing more to say about this one than I don't really trust Lafayette one way or the other in a Pick 'em contest, and I'd still take them at home against a lesser NEC team. And then Bogie went and reminded me that Bobby V now runs their Athletics Department. Which is fun. It probably doesn't mean much for their team this year, and while I don't want to pass up the opportunity to make fun of his presiding over the Sawks' 2012 implosion, his tenure with the Mets provided ample joy as well. Not sure how to play this joke. Something about a disguise, maybe. I'll work on that this week. Meanwhile the Leopards still win.

Davidson at Georgetown Georgetown This matchup would look a lot better for the rest of us if Davidson was in the SoCon like they are in every other sport. Opportunity lost, I guess. Tough start to the season for Georgetown, though a competitive loss to Wagner is not something to lose sleep over (grumbles the Colgate fan). Hoyas have won the last 3 in this series by double digits, and I expect that trend to continue.

Marist at Bucknell Bucknell Another early season staple, the Bison-Red Fox grudge match. Which admittedly must be pretty much exclusively from Marist's perspective, given the 7-1 edge Bucknell has in the series. The Foxes' only victory? 2010, against the rock bottom 1-10 squad of Coach Susan's first year. I believe the Bison will snatch a victory from some otherwise unsuspecting League foe this year, but they still appear to be a ways away from nearing the PL's upper echelon. As mentioned earlier, though, that shouldn't prevent them from picking up a home win against their early-season...rivals?

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Now there's a reference for you. If a Patriot League Pick 'em thread morphs into a political/economic/moral discussion of a tribal enclave nation that hasn't existed for more than forty years, then we've hit a new low. Or maybe it's a new high. Whichever.

Seemed like my parish (been there for what seems like forever) was always raising money for starving Biafrans. My Mother (now we're really going back) always admonished us at meals not to waste food on this basis. You know how that good old-time Catholic guilt is..... xprayx

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2013, 06:36 PM
Why not tuck away an ATM near where one lights candles to the Blessed Mother? I left a good chunk of cash there over the years during parental visits to the hospital. Always a good investment....

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Seemed like my parish (been there for what seems like forever) was always raising money for starving Biafrans. My Mother (now we're really going back) always admonished us at meals not to waste food on this basis. You know how that good old-time Catholic guilt is..... xprayx

You may be showing your age there--Biafra ceased to exist after 1970.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM

Still get occasional twinges of Irish Catholic guilt. Being a kind and understanding father,I made sure to inflict same upon my kids.xangelx

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2013, 08:34 PM
You may be showing your age there--Biafra ceased to exist after 1970.

DFW, I'm DEFINITELY showing my age. I AM old. "Creaks" and "cracks" every time I move. However, the Fall, and College Football, both make me feel a good bit younger.

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
All right... let's get this started... last week: 3-1

Lehigh 24, CCSU 14... cupcake, but not a dominant performance by the Hawks: new offensive weapon kinks to be worked out. Not a close game though.

Villanova 49, Fordham 31... rematch of their 2002 quarterfinal. Rams have the offensive weapons but their defense is lacking. A barn burner.

Towson 44, Holy Cross 14... this is not so much a function of Holy Cross' talent as it is their demoralizing loss last week. But, will Towson be too high and overlook the Saders?

Colgate 28, Albany 27... the "mystery game of the week." Is Albany that bad? (I mean, Duquesne?) Will Colgate struggle with a new OL? Will they suffer from last week's beating at Colorado Springs? Albany's demoralizing loss probably will cost them a few points. Plus, McCarney did not seem to play that much... and, I have the feeling the young uglies will start executing the Gate offense with precision. And, Albany's performance last week is not a positive sign for this week... with an All-American QB under center.

Lafayette 24, Sacred Heart 21... first game always the toughest for me to pick Pards' points. It will not be a cupcake game as most seem to think. SHU has some weapons and it's our first game. But I simply have to believe we are too hungry, too experienced, and too talented to drop this game. Too well coached though? Uh, e, um, er, a... xeyebrowx (yes I'm questioning our 14th-year HC against a rookie.. though a Colgate rookie)

Bucknell 24, Marist 6... Best defense against a team that almost didn't break 10 last week. BU should be more athletic overall to win. Solid QB. Underrated perhaps?

Georgetown 21, Davidson 10... Hoyas move to 1-0 in Pioneer League play. :D

crusader11
September 4th, 2013, 10:25 AM
3-1 last week...

Central Connecticut @ LEHIGH -- Even without Spadola, Barkett, et al Lehigh rolls. 30-10.

Towson @ HOLY CROSS -- Holy Cross outplayed in every phase of the game by Bryant, and Towson outplayed UConn in pretty much every phase. This could get ugly early on. 48-20.

Albany @ COLGATE -- Don't know a whole lot about Albany this year, but I know losing to Duquesne isn't very good. Colgate licks their wounds after losing to Air Force last week. 42-28.

Villanova @ FORDHAM -- GOTW in the Patriot League. Fordham is the best team in the PL this year, in my mind, but Villanova is coming off a very competitive game against Boston College. I think the Rams have enough offensive firepower to pull the minor upset. 30-27.

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE -- A loss here, and it could be a long year in Bogey-ville. 24-10.

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN -- Please, no losses to the PFL. 31-13.

Marist @ BUCKNELL -- Sacred Heart just put up 37 points on Marist, so maybe there's hope for Bucknell's offense in this one. 21-6.

Fordham
September 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I can't picture a scenario where Saturday night goes as well as many on here are expecting for us. My lone hope is due solely to my faith in Coach Moorhead, who I think always game plans well. I just don't see how we will be able to stop these guys.

jimbo65
September 4th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I can't picture a scenario where Saturday night goes as well as many on here are expecting for us. My lone hope is due solely to my faith in Coach Moorhead, who I think always game plans well. I just don't see how we will be able to stop these guys.
Amen. Missed our game v.URI but will be there Saturday. The Nova running game will be tough to stop so we need ball control. We certainly could score enough to win most games at our level but this one will be the toughest other than Temple. If we do get the 7,000, the twelfth man could be a factor. Get ahead early and force them to pass. Easier written than done.

andy7171
September 4th, 2013, 01:55 PM
How are Holy Crosses O and D lines? We dominated both sides of the ball at UConn. We're primarily a run team I don't see us running the score up unless T-West starts breaking off 80 yard TDs from the start(which does happen time to time.)
We have a lot of RS Freshman with talent. I see them getting second half action, if the game goes to what everyone here is predicting.

RichH2
September 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Andy
OL was supposed to be pretty good .Did not show up last week. DL an unknown so far, QB is very good.

andy7171
September 4th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Andy
OL was supposed to be pretty good .Did not show up last week. DL an unknown so far, QB is very good.

Thanks
Ambrose has the team focused. Hopefully they don't get too full of themselves. Our front 4 on defense had 5 sacks last week. Surprised me, our LBs were supposed to be the strength of the D this year.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2013, 03:51 PM
The Sportsbook:

Lehigh (-17 ) vs. Central Connecticut

Towson (-25½) at Holy Cross

Georgetown (-26½) vs. Davidson

Lafayette (-5½) vs. Sacred Heart

Bucknell (-12) vs. Marist

Colgate (-1) vs. Albany

Villanova (-14) at Fordham

Go...gate
September 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM

I just have a feeling that you guys will play very well. Sooner or later Fordham is due to really break loose and make its mark against a major I-AA program. This could be the week.

ColgateTD
September 4th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Lehigh
Towson
Albany - we need to lose first 3 games in order to win the PL
Fordham
Sacred Heart - upset special
G'town
Bucknell

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Georgetown (-26½) vs. Davidson

Hoya fans - does this break any records?

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM
The Sportsbook:

Lehigh (-17 ) vs. Central Connecticut

Towson (-25½) at Holy Cross

Georgetown (-26½) vs. Davidson xeekx

Lafayette (-5½) vs. Sacred Heart

Bucknell (-12) vs. Marist

Colgate (-1) vs. Albany

Villanova (-14) at Fordham

No... no no no no no! Take Davidson! Others look dead on.. BU maybe a bit too low, Pards a bit high... if betting solely on the lines...

CCSU
Towson
Davidson
Pards
Bison
Gate
Nova

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hoya fans - does this break any records?

Off topic, but didn't we overcome a 21.5 point spread in our win vs. Penn? Or was it 27?

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Off topic, but didn't we overcome a 21.5 point spread in our win vs. Penn? Or was it 27?

We have a history of beating Penn when it matters.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4296/tjyc.png

Pards Rule
September 4th, 2013, 07:55 PM

21.5!!

bison137
September 5th, 2013, 11:35 AM

I think Bucknell will win - but I seriously doubt a blowout. I know Marist played poorly in their opener but on paper they should be a lot better, returning most of their starters - including the entire OL - plus the QB who is their all-time leader in TD passes. Bucknell has not played yet and is missing three starters including their top receiver and their FS. I see a win by no more than ten points and if the pass defense doesn't do the job it could be closer.

CFBfan
September 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I think Bucknell will win - but I seriously doubt a blowout. I know Marist played poorly in their opener but on paper they should be a lot better, returning most of their starters - including the entire OL - plus the QB who is their all-time leader in TD passes. Bucknell has not played yet and is missing three starters including their top receiver and their FS. I see a win by no more than ten points and if the pass defense doesn't do the job it could be closer.

If BU has a close game with Marist they will get buries in league play

crusader11
September 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Really surprised that Villanova is -14 at Fordham.

Lehigh'98
September 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Would love for their to be an over under in FU - Villanova. Should break 70 in that game. Very tempted to bet Towson, only thing holding me back is their history in playing down, letdown week & its a look ahead game and HC will be up for this game. I doubt any of this matters though with the talent gap.

On a side note, Georgia Southern only 31.5 over St Francis. I figure they score over 60 on them.

blackbeard
September 5th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Lehigh
Towson
Georgetown
Sacred Heart
Bucknell
Colgate
Villanova

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM
TSN's Take...

Central Connecticut State (0-1) at No. 23 Lehigh (0-0)

Kickoff: 12:30 p.m.

What to know: CCSU couldn't get the offense going against James Madison a week ago, which will be a problem for the Blue Devils if that trend continues. Yes, James Madison was the superior team, but for CCSU to muster only 132 passing yards and 129 rush yards hopefully doesn't foreshadow the team's offensive production this season.

Lehigh enters Week 2 as one of the small handful of teams that was idle last week. The Mountain Hawks are trying to replace some key members of last season's squad, including quarterback Michael Colvin and receiver Ryan Spadola, who recently made the 53-man roster for the New York Jets.

But Lehigh is itching to return to the field after last year's end didn't result in a trip to the FCS playoffs. If All-Patriot League preseason selection Nigel Muhammad can cancel out CCSU's Rob Hollomon, the Blue Devils may struggle offensively for the second week in a row.

Prediction: Lehigh 34, Central Connecticut State 20

No. 5 Towson (1-0) at Holy Cross (0-1)

Kickoff: 1 p.m.

What to know: OK, we see you, Towson.

We knew the Tigers were good entering this season, but weren't too sure about their ability to handle another solid FBS opponent. Our concerns were laid to rest quickly as Towson jumped ahead of UConn in the first quarter and set West off to seal the deal.

Everyone talks about Towson's offense, but it's the play of the surprisingly underrated defense that will really speak volumes throughout the season. Yes, it's still very early, but there's already talk swirling about Towson being the team to unseat mighty North Dakota State.

Holy Cross shouldn't be much of a challenge for the Tigers, but sometimes it's those games no one even thinks about that turn into spoilers. The Crusaders had their hands full last week with the Northeast Conference's Bryant, which had trouble handling McCray out of the backfield. Expect a very healthy dose of carries for West and junior backup Sterlin Phifer.

Prediction: Towson 40, Holy Cross 20

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle_lawrence/index.htm

Go...gate
September 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Lehigh 31, Central Connecticut 13

Fordham 44, Villanova 41

Towson 30, Holy Cross 24

Colgate 33, Albany 31

Lafayette 14, Sacred Heart 13

Bucknell 20, Marist 7

Georgetown 24, Davidson 16

Pant8her
September 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I am submitting an estimate by percentage of the Patriot League team to win.

Central Connecticut @ Lehigh -- 85%
Towson @ Holy Cross -- 25%
Albany @ Colgate -- 70%
Villanova @ Fordham -- 15%
Sacred Heart @ Lafayette -- 65%
Davidson @ Georgetown -- 65%
Marist @ Bucknell -- 55%

Have a good and fun weekend..

Lehigh'98
September 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I am submitting an estimate by percentage of the Patriot League team to win.

Central Connecticut @ Lehigh -- 85%
Towson @ Holy Cross -- 25%
Albany @ Colgate -- 70%
Villanova @ Fordham -- 15%
Sacred Heart @ Lafayette -- 65%
Davidson @ Georgetown -- 65%
Marist @ Bucknell -- 55%

Have a good and fun weekend..

Holy Cross is <2%. Lehigh is probably 70%

The Cats
September 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM

Towson @ HOLY CROSS

Albany @ COLGATE

Villanova @ FORDHAM

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

bison137
September 5th, 2013, 09:32 PM
If BU has a close game with Marist they will get buries in league play

Not necessarily. Last year Marist was no more than 5 points worse than 4 of the 7 PL teams, according to Sagarin and other models. On paper they should be better this year. It also should help them having a game under their belt playing a team that has not played.

Last year Marist played Bucknell as competitively as Fordham or Lafayette did.

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Holy Cross will give Towson a better game than most here would suggest.

So will Fordham vs. Villanova.

Pards Rule
September 6th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Lehigh
Towson
Georgetown
Sacred Heart
Bucknell
Colgate
Villanova

Is this with your HEART or head?? ;)

Sader87
September 6th, 2013, 07:39 AM

I agree to a certain extent on FU, though their front 7 is a little shaky.

HC could easily be blown out badly. I went to the Bryant game and was aghast at how bad our line-play was overall.

You're never as bad or as good as you looked last week, but Towson right now is for all intents and purposes (and no pun intended) in a different league than Holy Cross.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM

I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong. JMHO.

Leopard Loyalist
September 6th, 2013, 09:24 AM

Towson @ HOLY CROSS

Albany @ COLGATE

Villanova @ FORDHAM

Sacred Heart @ LAFAYETTE

Davidson @ GEORGETOWN

Marist @ BUCKNELL

Sader87
September 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM
My picks from Crossports:

Lehigh 27 CCSU 17 Engineers stumble out of the gate but get W at home.

Colgate 30 Albany 24 Red Raiders rebound at relatively regular altitude.

Villanova 38 Fordham 27 Rams D their Achilles Heel this year.

Sacred Heart 27 Lafayette 24 Bobby V takes credit for W.

GTown 55 Davidson 52 Wildacts wilt in 2nd H from Hoya pressure.

Bucknell 3 Marist 2 The 19 people at Christy Mathewson demand their $ back.

Towson 34 HC 16 From the you're never as bad or you're never as good dept.

blackbeard
September 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Is this with your HEART or head?? ;)

Both. Many young guys with a lot of PT the last 2 years starting to pay off and talent is now reaching maturity. Lot of excitement in the coaching staff and players. Looking forward to the trip to Easton tomorrow!

Bogus Megapardus
September 6th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I'm up in the far north woods once again for one last commune with nature. Sleeping in the lean-to, drinking a couple dozen Utica Clubs, and reading The Liberty Amendments. What could be better? It's just that I didn't know it would get down to 28 degrees last night. Shoulda stayed in the cabin by the fire. That said, the crisp autumn air tells me once and for all - IT'S TIME TO PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!

So, without further ado . . . .

Central Connecticut @ Lehigh - Stumble and bumble did the Blue Devils at James Madison last week. I'd like to think that Storrs Lite is no match for the best of the Patriot League. That might be true, but they're playing Lehigh instead. So this rousing affair should be closer than the Self-Anointed Ones suspect they're entitled to. In a grinder, the Brown-Bottomed Bantamweights engineer a victory, of sorts. Lehigh 21-17

Towson @ Holy Cross - Who didn't come away impressed with the Tigers' deflation of UConn? And who (in the Patriot anyhow) isn't scratching their heads over the Crusaders' fall to the Anitas? Big East, fellas? Fuhgettaboutit. Couldnta been in the NEC at this rate. The score will close a bit after the Towson scrubs get their playing time, but this one was over before it started. Towson 42-21

Albany @ Colgate - Maybe the Knickerbocker Purple are waiting until their their crankin' and spankin' new digs get to debut next week against Rhode Island. But Albany certainly did not make an auspicious start in what could be Coach Bob Ford's swan song season when they got blowed up on the Allegheny bluffs. Yeah, I know the Red Raiders bombed in Colorado Springs last week but they showed enough to make clear for me that they've got the edge here in the bucolic hinterlands of southern Madison county. Colgate 31-17

Villanova @ Fordham - This one is the PL Game of the Week, IMHO. Fordham appears locked and loaded after their dismantling of Rhode Island. Can they carry over with the Wildcats who gave Boston College a run for it? I think so. I think that the Rams have the moxie and mojo to run the table (save for next week's trip to the Linc). These guys look scary good. Fordham 28-24

Sacred Heart @ Lafayette - The Pioneers will want to make a splash at fancy-pants Fisher Field, of course. Conversely, the Pards cannot afford to lose this one - they just can't. We've had too many humiliating defeats over the last three seasons and the faithful just can't take much more of this abject abuse. So the Pards will win simply because they have to win. The real action, of course, will be if Bobby Valentine gets into a shouting match with Jon Gruden up in the box. Could we get LSN exclusive coverage perhaps, with instant replay? Lafayette 28-21

Davidson @ Georgetown - I was floored when I saw the spread on this game. Then again the Hoyas have handled Davidson rather handily in past years and there's no reason to think this weekend will be an exception. The real reason to watch is the announcement by Georgetown athletics that the the kid who points his cell phone camera at the game once in a while is getting his two roommates to help out. Could be up for an Espy. Georgetown 35-10

Marist @ Bucknell - Blundering Buffaloes and Feckless Friars - oh my! The Red Foxes did not show a great deal of defense last week. And reports from Lewisburg are that that someone told the basketball team that Bucknell actually plays football. Who knew? In a show of solidarity, both the men and the women roundballers intend to show up at the game, which could result in a Mathewson Stadium attendance record. Bucknell 24-7

Sader87
September 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Utica Clubs....very nice Bogey. Beer of choice (in a pinch) on 12 Caro St in 1986...think they went for about $4.99 a case at a packy in Auburn back in the good ole days.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Last week I was 3-1. I got the easy games right (AFA, Fordham), one hard game right (Bryant), and went against the grain wrong (G'Town).

Lehigh 35, Central Connecticut State 17. Read why here. (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/game-1-breakdown-central-connecticut.html)

Towson 55, Holy Cross 13. Yes, Towson is that good, and Holy Cross has way too many questions to answer to be competitive in this game. Towson may break 60.

Albany 31, Colgate 24. I get the sense that people are taking Colgate because they can't contemplate the alternative rather than their confidence in the Raiders' abilities here. Last I checked, this is slow-starting Colgate. I also took a peek at how Duquesne beat Albany, through 353 yards passing. Duquense rushed for under 100 yards against the Danes. The Danes will do a much better job slowing down McCarney than Colgate's defense vs. Albany's offense, and they'll win the game.

Villanova 38, Fordham 17. I think this weill be less of a track meet than people think. I also think that it will be a much more comfortable win for Villanova than people think.

Lafayette 28, Sacred Heart 24. I have absolutely no idea what to make of the latest noise out of Leopard land about Tavani's "no nonsense" discipline policy and the fact that some players reportedly were ripping Frank on Twitter. I do know that Sacred Heart pounded Marist last week, so the Leopards had better not perform their regular sleeping routine (see: Robert Morris, 2012). I figure ZZ and Ross will be enough to keep Lafayette in the win column, but this could be a very close game.

Georgetown 31, Davidson 13. A comfortable win for the Hoyas. But I don't see them covering the spread.

Bucknell 24, Marist 13. - What an enigma this game is. What concerns me is that Marist's passing game is actually pretty decent. I'm assuming a fresh QB, "home" advantage, and so many veterans will be the difference. Don't be surprised to see this a very competitive game.

CrusaderBob
September 7th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Gotta get these in before I head to Worcester.

LEHIGH
Towson - Don't think it will be as ugly as has been suggested here and elsewhere, but if it is, at least my son plays in the HC Marching band, so I have that goin' for me, which is nice.
COLGATE
Villanova
LAFAYETTE
GEORGETOWN
BUCKNELL