PDA

View Full Version : After week 1 how do you rank the FCS conferences against eachother

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 11:42 PM
When your top 25 is complete, rank the conferences according to your poll.

The first number is the conferences rank, followed by the conferences name, followed by the number of teams in the conference making your top 25 for week 2, followed by that conferences top ranked team. Because the AGS poll has not been posted you, the top ranked team must remain secret until Monday, I have replaced mine with "?". During the OOC this hierarchy may shift around some, I suspect a few weeks in it will settle down and be pretty consistent.

Anyway, my week 2 conference power chart is:

Rank Conference # in poll Top ranked team
1 MVFC 6 ?
2 Big Sky 6 ?
3 Colonial 6 ?
4 Southland 4 ?
5 Ohio Valley 1 ?
6 Southern 1 ?
7 Northeast 1 ?
8 Big South - ?
9 Patriot - ?
10 MEAC - ?
11 IVY - ?
12 SWAC - ?
13 Pioneer - ?

For the record just like the top 25, App and GSU are being excluded from the socon.

uofmman1122
August 31st, 2013, 11:47 PM
The Big Sky and MVFC are clearly the best conferences right now, and it isn't even close.

WestCoastAggie
August 31st, 2013, 11:54 PM
I think at this point, the Big South should be ranked higher than the Southern Conference.

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 11:57 PM
I think at this point, the Big South should be ranked higher than the Southern Conference.

Perhaps in a top 40 that would be reflected, in this top 25 the Socon manages a ranked team and the Big south didn't. At least in my poll this week.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 1st, 2013, 12:07 AM
MVFC looks to be the strongest early on, Colonial and Big Sky are vying for #2, Southland and OVC somewhere right after that, then SoCon, NEC and Big South in another tie, Patriot, Ivy, MEAC and PFL, and bringing up the rear the SWAC, though maybe the SWAC could be in a three way tie with the MEAC and PFL.

It's really too early in the season to get a clear picture.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2013, 12:11 AM
The PL will be able to prov their worth next week. Lehigh, Lafayette and Bucknell did not play this week.

UNHWildcat18
September 1st, 2013, 12:43 AM
I know UNI and NDSU won vs fbs as well with EWU but id still say CAA is number one but MVFC and Big sky have two teams up top that are phenomenal. just cant rank their entire conferences above all.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 1st, 2013, 01:28 AM
I know UNI and NDSU won vs fbs as well with EWU but id still say CAA is number one but MVFC and Big sky have two teams up top that are phenomenal. just cant rank their entire conferences above all.

We have Towson that beat UConn, W&M that played WVU close, and 'Nova that played BC sort of close, but we also have URI that lost to Fodham and Albany that got embarrassed vs Duquesne. I'm comfortable ranking the MVFC ahead of the CAA for now, both conferences have some very strong teams and some stinkers, but MVFC has the high profile wins for now.

darell1976
September 1st, 2013, 08:27 AM
After what NDSU and EWU did both the MVFC and the BSC is 1 and 1a.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
According to my poll this is how the top 25 conference strength shakes out.

Rank.Conference...# in poll...Top ranked team
1.......MVFC............6..............1
2.......Big Sky.........6..............2
3.......Colonial........6..............4
4.......Southland.....4..............8
5.......Ohio Valley...1..............9
6.......Southern......1..............17
7.......Northeast.....1..............22
8 Big South - -
9 Patriot - -
10 MEAC - -
11 IVY - -
12 SWAC - -
13 Pioneer - -

melloware13
September 2nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
1. Big Sky (35.15) [2. Montana State]
2. CAA (36) [7. Towson]
3. MVFC (36.7) [1. North Dakota State]
4. Southland (42.25) [4. Sam Houston State]
5. Ivy (46.25) [29. Pennsylvania]
6. OVC (54.78) [14. Eastern Illinois]
7. Patriot (64.71) [21. Lehigh]
8. SoCon (67) [23. Samford]
9. NEC (68.43) [31. Wagner]
10. Big South (68.5) [22. Coastal Carolina]
11. MEAC (80.18) [27. Bethune-Cookman]
12. SWAC (88) [61. Alabama A&M]
13. Independents (98.33) [69. Abilene Christian]
14. Pioneer (101.08) [68. Davidson]

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
How could Montana state possibly be the highest ranked bigsky team in anyone's poll after EWU's game?!?!?!

RabidRabbit
September 2nd, 2013, 07:31 PM
MoValley with 2 BCS scalps, and only loss to even a FCS team has to be top. EWU scalps a solid BCS team, Montana wins at home over a moving to FBS team, and SUU escapes a nailbiter over a Sunbelt bottom dweller. So solid for the Big Sky. Towson heads up the CAA cavalcade. But Towson's win, as well as McNeese is versus lower end AAMC teams. Every conference that played a FBS qualified team, except Patriot, scored at least one FBS scalp. Congrats to all those FBS winners. The SoCon, without GaSouthern and AppSt, will be tough pressed to get two teams into the play-offs, but Samford's Ga St win could be that extra W that boost their chances, should they not win the AQ.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
MoValley with 2 BCS scalps, and only loss to even a FCS team has to be top. EWU scalps a solid BCS team, Montana wins at home over a moving to FBS team, and SUU escapes a nailbiter over a Sunbelt bottom dweller. So solid for the Big Sky. Towson heads up the CAA cavalcade. But Towson's win, as well as McNeese is versus lower end AAMC teams. Every conference that played a FBS qualified team, except Patriot, scored at least one FBS scalp. Congrats to all those FBS winners. The SoCon, without GaSouthern and AppSt, will be tough pressed to get two teams into the play-offs, but Samford's Ga St win could be that extra W that boost their chances, should they not win the AQ.

Especially if Georgia state wins a game at some point. lol.

MTfan4life
September 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
How could Montana state possibly be the highest ranked bigsky team in anyone's poll after EWU's game?!?!?!

Let's hypothetically say that NDSU lost to Kansas State, but UNI still beat Iowa State. Wouldn't you still find it rather dumbfounding if some people ranked UNI ahead of NDSU just because they lost a game to a usually top tier big 12 team? It's possible that in some people's minds that Eastern doesn't prove they're the best team in the Big Sky simply by getting a big win. In previous seasons, Sacramento State has had the biggest non-con win, but that didn't mean they were at some elite status. It's possible to reach a conclusion about any team aside from looking at their one played game. I don't have Northern Iowa in front of South Dakota State simply because they played a better team the first week. Just my thinking that it's possible to think away from the shepherd's norm.

CrazyCat
September 2nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
The Big Sky should be third because they only had 2 good wins from EWU and Montana. Montana State does not count because the starters only played a half and they haven't done well in the playoffs the last couple years.

RabidRabbit
September 2nd, 2013, 07:53 PM
The Big Sky should be third because they only had 2 good wins from EWU and Montana. Montana State does not count because the starters only played a half and they haven't done well in the playoffs the last couple years.

Been working with McN72 on that undersell have we?xlolxxnodxxthumbsupx

Red & Black
September 2nd, 2013, 09:14 PM
It's possible that in some people's minds that Eastern doesn't prove they're the best team in the Big Sky simply by getting a big win. In previous seasons, Sacramento State has had the biggest non-con win, but that didn't mean they were at some elite status.

I agree with the premise of your argument. It's hard to really gauge any team based on one game. And I don't think any EWU fans are banking on this one big win defining us for the rest of the season.

That said, I think the Sac State comparison is a poor one. Not on a knock on the Hornets, but Eastern isn't Sac State. It's a program that is almost always amongst the "elites" in the Big Sky. This is a program that has national championship ambitions every season regardless of player turn-over. A win over the Pac is just gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93henfan
September 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
1. MVFC
2a. Big Sky
2b. CAA
the rest

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Valley and Big Sky are way out in front of everyone else right now and it is not close.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Let's hypothetically say that NDSU lost to Kansas State, but UNI still beat Iowa State. Wouldn't you still find it rather dumbfounding if some people ranked UNI ahead of NDSU just because they lost a game to a usually top tier big 12 team? It's possible that in some people's minds that Eastern doesn't prove they're the best team in the Big Sky simply by getting a big win. In previous seasons, Sacramento State has had the biggest non-con win, but that didn't mean they were at some elite status. It's possible to reach a conclusion about any team aside from looking at their one played game. I don't have Northern Iowa in front of South Dakota State simply because they played a better team the first week. Just my thinking that it's possible to think away from the shepherd's norm.

If Montana State had just won back to back national titles with the same team returning yes, however the situation in the MVFC and the Big Sky are obviously different. EWU just pulled off one of the top 4 FCS over FBS upsets of all time. And Montana State has not been on a different level than EWU the past few seasons, arguably they were worse than EWU last year.

I see that you aren't good at analogies.

dystopiamembrane
September 3rd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Here's my rankings.
1. Missouri Valley
2. Southland
3. Big Sky
4. Colonial
5. Ohio Valley
6. Southern
7. Big South
8. Ivy
9. Patriot
10. Northeast
11. Mid-Eastern
12. Pioneer
13. Southwestern

BEAR
September 3rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
(golf clap) The SLC is moving up in some of your rankings! (golf clap) xlolx

JMUNJ08
September 3rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Valley and Big Sky are way out in front of everyone else right now and it is not close.

CAA is right there with the Big Sky and not too far from MVFC. Don't forget that a conference is not made of only 2-3 teams....

With some better bounces, the CAA could very well have had 3 FBS wins this week. For anyone who watched the first half of the WVU vs. W&M or Nova vs. BC games, they were the better teams clearly and stuck with them the entire way.

MTfan4life
September 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
If Montana State had just won back to back national titles with the same team returning yes, however the situation in the MVFC and the Big Sky are obviously different. EWU just pulled off one of the top 4 FCS over FBS upsets of all time. And Montana State has not been on a different level than EWU the past few seasons, arguably they were worse than EWU last year.

I see that you aren't good at analogies.

Who said I was talking about Montana State? I see that you still have no other reply than being a douchebag. Grow up and try to reply rationally and humanly. I didn't insult you. Just because Eastern won a big game, doesn't mean they have reached legendary status. Assumptions are just that, assumptions. I know you are divine and your clear lack of intelligence reigns supreme in your world, but what you believe isn't the only way to formulate an opinion.

Twentysix
September 3rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Who said I was talking about Montana State? I see that you still have no other reply than being a douchebag. Grow up and try to reply rationally and humanly. I didn't insult you. Just because Eastern won a big game, doesn't mean they have reached legendary status. Assumptions are just that, assumptions. I know you are divine and your clear lack of intelligence reigns supreme in your world, but what you believe isn't the only way to formulate an opinion.

Quote that you quoted below

If you weren't talking about Montana State, I don't know why the hell you quoted me lmao.

The convo string you jumped into is about Montana State being listed as the #1 in the big sky for week 2.

And your analogy was about a non #1 in conference jumping the previous #1, and you used the MVFC. Seriously kid. Seriously.

My best advice to you would be, do not use the quote button, if you are not intending to talk to the people you are quoting about what you have quoted and about what that quote pertains to.

Tribal
September 3rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Especially if Georgia state wins a game at some point. lol.

Winning doesn't matter so long as you have a super-duper media market and a Hall of Fame Hea...oh wait.

achrist70
September 3rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
1. MVFC
2. Big Sky
3. CAA
4. Southland
5. Southern

Everyone else

There is still a CAA bias but it isn't the same conference as 5 years ago, good conference but behind the Valley and Big Sky, I went Valley over Big Sky due to the 2 time defending champion. Southland over Southern due to teams that can't qualify for playoffs, and the fact that Sam Houston St, Central Arkansas, and McNeese look to be tough. I would put Ohio Valley next, but until they can win a playoff game I can't rank them

Red & Black
September 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM

Again, your analogy is a poor one. Sac State has won big games in the past (Colorado, OSU), but then failed to do anything the same year.

EWU was ranked #4 before the OSU game and was a semi-finalist last season and furthermore has a recent NC and is a regular fixture in the playoffs. Not a knock on Sac State but you are trying to compare apples and oranges. Chances are EWU would have been a top 5 team in a lot of polls even if it was Savannah State and not Oregon State they beat on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk