PDA

View Full Version : Body Bag Games

dudeitsaid
August 31st, 2013, 11:39 PM
I know the motivation for FCS playing FBS games for both teams playing in the game. For FBS teams, they get to add "an easy win" to their record at home without having to return the favor and travel to the other teams stadium. For the FCS team, like EWU, those big paydays fund a very good portion of our entire athletics budget. (That's part of why it is so thrilling to win...to get paid so well for it!) At EWU, these games are necessary, not having the level of attendance and support that schools like UM and App have.

But my question is, what is the motivation for a Division II or lower school playing an FCS school? Truthfully, I hate those games, and would rather play FCS predominantly with the necessary FBS payday games to pay for what needs to be funded. Not that there aren't some very solid Division II teams that don't pull off their own upsets (such as CWU over EWU several years ago). But does anyone know the motivation for those smaller schools playing FCS? We surely can't be giving them much of a payday for doing it.

Some of you guys know are far more knowledgeable about the whole football landscape than I am. But today's FBS "rock filled cupcake" games got me thinking about this. Anyone have any insights?

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 11:46 PM
I know the motivation for FCS playing FBS games for both teams playing in the game. For FBS teams, they get to add "an easy win" to their record at home without having to return the favor and travel to the other teams stadium. For the FCS team, like EWU, those big paydays fund a very good portion of our entire athletics budget. (That's part of why it is so thrilling to win...to get paid so well for it!) At EWU, these games are necessary, not having the level of attendance and support that schools like UM and App have.

But my question is, what is the motivation for a Division II or lower school playing an FCS school? Truthfully, I hate those games, and would rather play FCS predominantly with the necessary FBS payday games to pay for what needs to be funded. Not that there aren't some very solid Division II teams that don't pull off their own upsets (such as CWU over EWU several years ago). But does anyone know the motivation for those smaller schools playing FCS? We surely can't be giving them much of a payday for doing it.

Some of you guys know are far more knowledgeable about the whole football landscape than I am. But today's FBS "rock filled cupcake" games got me thinking about this. Anyone have any insights?

It's the same thing D2/Naia get a payday. They just operate with even smaller budgets. 65-100k to a D2 team is the same thing as 350-500k for an FCS team.

Maybe some schools are paying even less than that?

Skyhawk71
August 31st, 2013, 11:50 PM
UTM, always the body bag, never the coroner...........see everyone in Boise next Saturday

NoDak 4 Ever
August 31st, 2013, 11:57 PM
The Ferris State coach talked about some of his kids had never taken a plane ride before. I'll bet it's something coming into a 19,000 person sold out venue against the defending champions. They'll play their hearts out and probably come up short but they will all have a story to tell.

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 11:59 PM
The Ferris State coach talked about some of his kids had never taken a plane ride before. I'll bet it's something coming into a 19,000 person sold out venue against the defending champions. They'll play their hearts out and probably come up short but they will all have a story to tell.

And money for their coffers. NDSU is paying Ferris State $180,000. That is the only reason they are coming.

That takes precedence over the $180,000 guarantee the school is getting from NDSU to play the Sept. 7 game at the Fargodome, said Rob Bentley, the assistant athletic director for communications at Ferris. He said the Bulldogs are not doing it for the money.

That guy is a liar.

BisonFan02
September 1st, 2013, 12:01 AM
UTM, always the body bag, never the coroner...........see everyone in Boise next Saturday

Not so fast there......Boise is getting taken to the woodshed tonight. Overrated perhaps? You guys beat Chatty...this should be nothing. :D

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2013, 01:20 AM
I know this is off the subject...

In 1992 Chattanooga started the season by beating UTM and Boise State back to back...that was the last time UTC played UTM before Thursday. So, it stands to reasons that since UTM beat UTC this season, they will also beat Boise State. :)

Best of luck to the Skyhawks, I will be pulling for you guys.

Skyhawk71
September 1st, 2013, 08:19 AM
It will no doubt, be an awesome trip, but I would imagine that Boise State has some motivation after that beat down last night- and one heck of a "warning" highlight video to motivate the players after this weekend........Here's to another awesome FCS week 2

Skyhawk71
September 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Back on task to the original point: Lamar 75 OK Panhandle State 0; would this be the same team that will go to Montana later in the season- The Montana

Texas
September 1st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Back on task to the original point: Lamar 75 OK Panhandle State 0; would this be the same team that will go to Montana later in the season- The Montana
Oh god. I feel bad for those poor kids. Making Lamar look like winners...

bonarae
September 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM

one and the same...

GoAgs72
September 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM
Nevada-Reno for UC Davis will be a body bag game next week. Interestingly, we beat Nevada several times when we were a non-scholarship D2 team. Now with our stellar performance against South Dakota yesterday it might be 50-0 against Nevada.

CHIP72
September 1st, 2013, 11:16 AM
There has only been one true "body bag" game, and it was this Monday Night Football game in 1990 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Bag_Game).