PDA

View Full Version : Let's bury the myth of the "watered down" FCS once and for all...

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2013, 10:55 PM
This was an absolutely monster week for the FCS in FBS games. Easily the best ever in my time in following IAA and FCS ball (since the late 90s). There's no doubt that Georgia Southern and Appalachian State leaving alters the landscape, but the idea that teams leaving for the FBS makes the FCS weaker over all just doesn't seem to hold up to reality. Let's recap...

1. A team (NDSU) that has only been eligible for the FCS playoffs for 5 seasons now beats a Big XII team that will probably finish at worst in the middle of the conference standings.

2. A team (EWU) that before the 2010s had sparse success beats a team ranked in the AP college football poll, becoming the third team to do that.

3. A McNeese State team that many thought was washed up clobbers an AAC team. Probably won't be a very good AAC team, but still an AAC team. This McNeese State team BTW beat the #2 Sun Belt team last year and didn't even make the playoffs.

4. A team that has been a doormat in the CAA for a long time beats an AAC team in a two-possession game.

5. A team (SUU) that joined the FCS in 1996 beats a Sun Belt team. USA is not a good FCS team, but let's face it, SUU is a middle-of-the-pack Big Sky team at best.

6. UNI still shows they can take down the lower-tier FBS teams. Iowa State is not all that great of an FBS team, but I think many will say UNI is either an unseeded at-large team or a bubble team playing in the opening round.

7. A team (EIU) that probably won't win a round of 16 game (given the recent performance of the OVC in the playoffs) obliterates San Diego State.

That's just from this week. That doesn't get into the Sun Belt having second place teams lose to non-playoff FCS squads in 2011 and 2012. It neglects leagues like OVC and Big South teams (even non-playoff teams) picking up multiple FBS wins in the past few years. And that doesn't even get into all of the scares that FCS teams have given FBS teams that seem to be getting more frequent (UNI very nearly beating a ranked Iowa team that won the Orange Bowl comes to mind). Can anyone really say there is less parity between the subdivisions now than in the past?

Honestly, it is a crying shame that the FCS won't get the respect that it deserves and that perception and not reality is what matters. When it comes time for the FCS semifinals we will probably have a lower-tier bowl game on ESPN while two superior FCS teams play for a trip to Frisco on ESPNU. I still support my team making the move to FBS and agree with the reasoning, but it still ticks me off to no end to be leaving this division behind and not being able to participate in this year's playoffs (which BTW I think will be epic).

Rant over. xtwocentsx

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 10:58 PM
I don't follow the UNI comment. They are probably title contenders.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2013, 10:59 PM
Ridiculous performance by FCS!

Bill
August 31st, 2013, 11:01 PM
FCS - good wrap up of a rather stunning weekend. This one was fun....

NoDak 4 Ever
August 31st, 2013, 11:02 PM
I don't follow the UNI comment. They are probably title contenders.

UNI has something to prove this year. I picked them 4th in the MVFC. This helps but we'll see.

Smitty
August 31st, 2013, 11:03 PM
Don't forget Montana holding the soon to be FBS App State to 2 field goals and scoring 24 points on them

DJKyR0
August 31st, 2013, 11:19 PM
I absolutely don't think UNI is a bubble team. Johnson and Kollmorgen is one of the least talked-about, most talented QB-RB combos in the country.

clenz
August 31st, 2013, 11:35 PM
I absolutely don't think UNI is a bubble team. Johnson and Kollmorgen is one of the least talked-about, most talented QB-RB combos in the country.

Tonight Johnson went for 8.7 ypc on 23 carries. Kollmorgan 21 of 28 for 218 and 2tds no picks. Johnson gets two rushing and two receiving TDs.

Both were runner up for the Payton, both were mvfc foy, both will be all conference this year. DJ now has 34 career tds in 2 seasons and 1 game

Those two are damn near unstoppable fit the last 6 games or so, going back to last season.

This UNI team returned a **** ton from last season. While the record wasnt good last season injuries killed us..along with 6 new front 7 on d.

Only 9 srs on the 2 deep...none on offense that have ever contributed. This team is loaded for the next couple seasons

quando omni flunkus moritati

Drblankstare
August 31st, 2013, 11:36 PM
I had such a blast watching some great games this weekend. Congrats to all the teams.

Twentysix
September 1st, 2013, 12:03 AM
NDSU playing on Friday was a god send. Increased our exposure and allowed me to watch something like 17 FCS games between Thursday Friday and Saturday.

WestCoastAggie
September 1st, 2013, 12:06 AM
When a MEAC school that finished 7-4 takes an MAC school down to the wire and only loses by ten, no one can ever say the FCS is watered down.

BisonFan02
September 1st, 2013, 12:06 AM
NDSU playing on Friday was a god send. Increased our exposure and allowed me to watch something like 17 FCS games between Thursday Friday and Saturday.

This....granted, I have gone back quite a bit in the past on ESPN3 to watch replays, but today was definitely a change for me watching FCS football.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 1st, 2013, 12:11 AM
Tonight Johnson went for 8.7 ypc on 23 carries. Kollmorgan 21 of 28 for 218 and 2tds no picks. Johnson gets two rushing and two receiving TDs.

Both were runner up for the Payton, both were mvfc foy, both will be all conference this year. DJ now has 34 career tds in 2 seasons and 1 game

Those two are damn near unstoppable fit the last 6 games or so, going back to last season.

This UNI team returned a **** ton from last season. While the record wasnt good last season injuries killed us..along with 6 new front 7 on d.

Only 9 srs on the 2 deep...none on offense that have ever contributed. This team is loaded for the next couple seasons

The UNI - NDSU game is going to be pretty awesome this year. I think UNI stands a very good chance of winning it.

Twentysix
September 1st, 2013, 12:18 AM
The UNI - NDSU game is going to be pretty awesome this year. I think UNI stands a very good chance of winning it.

They can have that game (they probably can't have it anyway), We will take the natty :p.

Red & Black
September 1st, 2013, 12:57 AM
The only thing I would mention is that EWU didn't have sparse success prior to 2010. It is a program that was consistently in the playoffs prior to that. No, we weren't winning NC's, but it's a program that has had a lot of success for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocky
September 1st, 2013, 01:42 AM
As long as FCS teamS beat FBS schools for recruits these wins will keep happening. JSU beat South AL, Troy, UAB and other FBSs on several recruits. Im sure most top level FCS schools can say the same.

seantaylor
September 1st, 2013, 02:44 AM
Bury the watered down myth? Did you catch the Socon's performance this week?

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2013, 06:18 AM

Not in the Fargodome. We are UNI's daddy one more year with our defense.

Bury the watered down myth? Did you catch the Socon's performance this week?

The SoCon is watered down, not the FCS.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2013, 06:40 AM
the SoCo got waterboarded yesterday, that must have been painful for all of you Homers :D

ccd494
September 1st, 2013, 07:07 AM
4. A team that has been a doormat in the CAA for a long time beats an AAC team in a two-possession game.

Hasnt Towson won two straight CAA titles?

bjtheflamesfan
September 1st, 2013, 07:18 AM
There also were FCS teams that went toe to toe with FBS teams and narrowly lost: W&M, Liberty, Villanova, Southern Illinois all losing by 10 points or less

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2013, 07:23 AM
There also were FCS teams that went toe to toe with FBS teams and narrowly lost: W&M, Liberty, Villanova, Southern Illinois all losing by 10 points or less

SIU was 3 yards from forcing OT with the Illini. Still hurting a bit over the pass that didn't connect in the corner of the end zone in the last minute.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 1st, 2013, 08:17 AM

While it seemed to be part of a larger trend, NDSU is playing on another level. You are going to see some very different games when they get into FCS play.

Ronin
September 1st, 2013, 09:24 AM
While the money will never allow an FCS team to play a FBS team at home. Think of how that would impact the scores and games around the country if the FCS team can have a hometown crowd and friendly officials.

kalm
September 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
While the money will never allow an FCS team to play a FBS team at home. Think of how that would impact the scores and games around the country if the FCS team can have a hometown crowd and friendly officials.

That's a great point.

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM
And then we have FCS teams losing to NAIA teams...

... sorry, what's a thread without a troll comment xlolx :D

Skyhawk71
September 1st, 2013, 11:01 AM
And then we have FCS teams losing to NAIA teams...

... sorry, what's a thread without a troll comment xlolx :D
Just could not resist this one, but in honor of the NAIA institution formerly known as Lambuth (now closed)- 2010 Lambuth 24 Georgia State 13 (may be wrong on the score, but this is close) xrotatehx

FormerPokeCenter
September 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
Just could not resist this one, but in honor of the NAIA institution formerly known as Lambuth (now closed)- 2010 Lambuth 24 Georgia State 13 (may be wrong on the score, but this is close) xrotatehx

I think it's a shame we never really got to see what Lambuth could do in the FCS, but based on the fact that they took down a renowned program like Georgia State, I think it's a given that they'd have been amongst the best that the FCS has to offer...

C'mon, you just don't go into the Georgia Dome and push people around like that...I mean, unless of course, you're the Saints! ;)

Houndawg
September 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM
SIU was 3 yards from forcing OT with the Illini. Still hurting a bit over the pass that didn't connect in the corner of the end zone in the last minute.

407 yds of offense and a slight edge in TOP were bright spots for sure. Along with sacking the Illini QB 5 times and giving up zero sacks and holding them to 50 yds net rushing.

UNIFanSince1983
September 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM

UNI will not beat NDSU in the regular season match up. NDSU has been known the last two years to lay an egg at home, but they ALWAYS get up for the UNI game. However, if there is a team that has an offense that could do it, it is this UNI team. I will state again though so NDSU fans don't jump all over me we will NOT win in Fargo on October 5th.

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM
UNI will not beat NDSU in the regular season match up. NDSU has been known the last two years to lay an egg at home, but they ALWAYS get up for the UNI game. However, if there is a team that has an offense that could do it, it is this UNI team. I will state again though so NDSU fans don't jump all over me we will NOT win in Fargo on October 5th.

I don't believe people would jump you...xblehx

I just hope we don't have a situation like last year where the playoff com sends you guys up here for the playoffs, or us down there or some crap like that. I want to see NEW TEAMS in the playoffs.

bojeta
September 1st, 2013, 11:51 AM

Some risidual effect, I think, from all the FCS success the past three days; Sports Center crew didn't even refer to Souther Illinois as an FCS team. They just recapped it as though it was any other FBS/BCS team that Illinois was playing.

RabidRabbit
September 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM
I don't believe people would jump you...xblehx

I just hope we don't have a situation like last year where the playoff com sends you guys up here for the playoffs, or us down there or some crap like that. I want to see NEW TEAMS in the playoffs.

Likewise, damned unreasonable if SDSU gets sent to either UNI or NDSU if all three make the play-offs.

It'll be three weeks, but hopefully, SDSU can give Nebraska a scare, or better.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 1st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Likewise, damned unreasonable if SDSU gets sent to either UNI or NDSU if all three make the play-offs.

just wear yourselves out. I have tickets to the game in Brookings. xthumbsupx

Houndawg
September 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
Some risidual effect, I think, from all the FCS success the past three days; Sports Center crew didn't even refer to Souther Illinois as an FCS team. They just recapped it as though it was any other FBS/BCS team that Illinois was playing.

Probably trying to be kind to Illinois who barely escaped their most embarrassing game ever.xlolx

Other than the way the roof fell in in the 2nd qtr., we played a good game. The OC shows glimmers of having a clue, finally, and we'll be able to stretch the field this season.

clenz
September 1st, 2013, 05:00 PM

All three could be seeded...hopefully it's uni on the other side if things