PDA

View Full Version : FBS wins and playoff seeds.

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2013, 08:52 PM
Obviously depending upon how the rest of the seasons fall for programs, I'm betting many teams won't be a top 3-5 or lower without an FBS win this year.

Moto X

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 08:53 PM
NDSU EWU are obvious 1 and 2 at this point.

clenz
September 1st, 2013, 05:04 PM
I don't trust ewu's defense.

They may have the most explosive offense in the nation but if they can't stop anyone I'd be worried when they get against some teams like Montana, NDSU, SDSU and UNI

Maybe I'm wrong

quando omni flunkus moritati

NoDak 4 Ever
September 1st, 2013, 05:04 PM

They may have the most explosive offense in the nation but if they can't stop anyone I'd be worried when they get against some teams like Montana, NDSU, SDSU and UNI

Maybe I'm wrong

You're not.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM

Maybe I'm wrong

We were breaking in 6 new starters on D, against an OSU offense that is pretty good, by FBS standards. We'll be fine.

Frankly, I don't give a **** how many points we give up, as long as we score more. xthumbsupx

Red & Black
September 1st, 2013, 05:40 PM
Understand the concern on the Defense and I have my own as well. A little context, though:

A) That Oregon State QB was DAMN good.
B) Breaking in a bunch of new staters. The defense will improve as that unit gels.
C) The D was fairly good at stopping Oregon State's running game - that is always my biggest concern with an EWU defense. We actually outgained them on the air and the ground.

And, of course - with Adams at the helm the offense is damn explosive. If they can keep that level of play up, teams will have to score a lot of points to beat us.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 1st, 2013, 05:51 PM
Understand the concern on the Defense and I have my own as well. A little context, though:

A) That Oregon State QB was DAMN good.
B) Breaking in a bunch of new staters. The defense will improve as that unit gels.
C) The D was fairly good at stopping Oregon State's running game - that is always my biggest concern with an EWU defense. We actually outgained them on the air and the ground.

And, of course - with Adams at the helm the offense is damn explosive. If they can keep that level of play up, teams will have to score a lot of points to beat us.

Or simply play defense.

Nickels
September 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
Or simply play defense.
xnodx

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM
I've seen more high powered offenses get shut down and beaten by a less flamboyant offense and lose because they don't play defense than I've seen teams that play defense and have a less offense lose.

I'll take my chances with a good defense and decent offense vs a bad defense and amazing offense.

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
xnodx

Anyone in the Big SKy won't understand this other than UM or Cal Poly, I suppose.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2013, 07:03 AM
Defense wins championships.

clenz
September 2nd, 2013, 07:55 AM

This...more teams with average offenses and good/great defenses win titles than teams who have to score 4 or more tds to have a chance to win

kalm
September 2nd, 2013, 08:13 AM

Generally true, and our defense is a concern to me as well. But ask the 2010 Delware and NDSU squads. Both had statistically better D's - christ, UD was holding opponents to under 12 ppg. I also remember last year hearing from the MVFC folks all about how ISU had a great offense and came from a conference where defense was actually played.

Montana over the years has had some terrific defenses who shut down nearly everyone except Erik Meyer, BLM, and Co.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the Dave Dickinson led Griz might have given up their fair share of points too.

To recap, in general, defense does win championships. But when you have a great offense and enough playmakers on D you also have a shot. This year's team with T.J. Lee, Allen Brown, Ronnie Hamlin, and Andru Pulu has the potential to be similar to the 2010 Matt Johnson, Jesse Hoffman, JC Sherrit, and Renard Williams led team.

It's early, we'll see.

heath
September 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Not in 2007. When you give up an average of 24 points a game you must outscore your opponent as eagle174 stated, and App St. did just that scoring 44 points a game. So yes, a great offense can win you a FCS championship.xthumbsupx

Southern Bison
September 2nd, 2013, 10:04 AM

Maybe I'm wrong

You're absolutely right. One other component is that EWW rarely plays all 4 quarters. They either blow their whole wad in the 1st half and then hope to hang on for the win or they **** the bed in the 1st half and try to make a game of it in the 2nd half. Their inconsistency will be their undoing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Generally true, and our defense is a concern to me as well. But ask the 2010 Delware and NDSU squads. Both had statistically better D's - christ, UD was holding opponents to under 12 ppg. I also remember last year hearing from the MVFC folks all about how ISU had a great offense and came from a conference where defense was actually played.

Montana over the years has had some terrific defenses who shut down nearly everyone except Erik Meyer, BLM, and Co.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the Dave Dickinson led Griz might have given up their fair share of points too.

To recap, in general, defense does win championships. But when you have a great offense and enough playmakers on D you also have a shot. This year's team with T.J. Lee, Allen Brown, Ronnie Hamlin, and Andru Pulu has the potential to be similar to the 2010 Matt Johnson, Jesse Hoffman, JC Sherrit, and Renard Williams led team.

It's early, we'll see.

The 2010 Bison team was some sophs and many RFR playing in that game. Inexperience and youth is also a factor for teams.

No question Eastern has a very potent offense but I'll take a fundamentally sound defense and good offense any day.

I hope NDSU and EWU get matched up later in the year cus it will be interesting to see how they do against each other.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
This...more teams with average offenses and good/great defenses win titles than teams who have to score 4 or more tds to have a chance to win

I agree.

UNI-SDSU-NDSU will have very good defenses this year. UNI might be a question mark early in the year but traditionally they have good defenses.

Red & Black
September 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
That 2010 EWU defense had some serious players on it. They gave up some yards but they rarely broke. They also led the country in forced To's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmrbearkat
September 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Just because you beat a usually strong FBS team doesn't mean squat if you can't finish the season! I believe in 2001 Northestern State beat TCU by 19 and we then stomped NWST by 30! You better learn to play some defense quick because we will be strong on both sides of the ball! EWU will not be seeded IMO. They play a hell of a conference schedule not to mention coming down to texas. As of now y'all deserve to feel pretty damn good though!!

clenz
September 2nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
I agree.

UNI-SDSU-NDSU will have very good defenses this year. UNI might be a question mark early in the year but traditionally they have good defenses.
If UNI's D can grow early in the year during the first couple games, by the time we hit conference play we'll be fine.

We were without our best DL (6'2 280lb DT Mac O'Brien..see picture below...even in gym shorts and his jersey top he's bigger than most in pads in the picture) against ISU and our DL still threw the Iowa State OL around like they were high school JV kids most of the game. We've switched from a 4-3 to a 3.66/3.66/3.66 hybrid defense defense this year. Though would probably be officially listed as a 3-3-5 monster...or just calling it multiple because there was about 30 different looks out of it the other day.

The DL will go back and forth between a 3 man and 4 man front with Mac O'Brien, Xavier Williams, Chris Jepsen and Colin Albrect, with about 3 others being rotated in constantly.

The LB's are all back from last year - Jordan Gacke, Sam Tim, Jake Farley, and Zach Cutkomp comes back from his injury (he was the leading tackler before it). The depth/experience there is good.

The secondary was the big concern this year after losing 3 starters from last season (Varmah Sonie, JJ Swain, and Garrett Scott). However, with the new look and talent of the players stepping in the group looks solid - but still needs to grow as evident by the blown coverage leading to the 59 yard TD catch for ISU's first TD. The names aren't well known right now, and they are all freshman and sophomores but got a lot of experience last season on ST and rotating in. 2 CBs, 2 safteys and what is officially listed as a ROVER - Tim Kilfoy. He was heavily recruited by Iowa, but Iowa almost never offers scholarships to in-state kids because "everyone grows up wanting to be a Hawkeye, so we can get them to walk on because it's a dream for them". That hasn't worked for them lately and Kilfoy ended up here. He was a kid that many Iowa fans are pissed that they didn't land. He played saftey/LB in HS. Hits like a LB but runs like a saftey - reminds me of a Garrett Scott like player.

Room for growth yet, for sure. However, it looks good for this season.

kalm
September 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
You're absolutely right. One other component is that EWW rarely plays all 4 quarters. They either blow their whole wad in the 1st half and then hope to hang on for the win or they **** the bed in the 1st half and try to make a game of it in the 2nd half. Their inconsistency will be their undoing.

There is some truth here.

Red & Black
September 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM

It's early, we'll see.

I would argue that the 2010 Defense had some components on it that were missing on the 2011 and even 2012
teams.

That 2010 Defense had several marquee players on it (JC Sherritt,
Matt and Zach Johnson, Renard Williams, Tyler Jolley, Jesse Hoffman). They gave up some yards, but hardly ever broke. They also let the nation in INT's a TO margin.

The 2013 defense has similar components as that 2010 team - they just need some time to gel, it'll be a solid group.

bjtheflamesfan
September 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Im not ready to automatically crown anyone as a top 5 at this point (or 6 however many seeds there are in the field this year). The wins for EWU and NDSU are great (as well as McNeese and Towson) but at this point it is WAY too early to tell. there are still 10 or 11 games to go for everybody and anything can still happen. I think they both increased their chances, but the season is a marathon not a sprint (to use a cliche) so Id revel in the victory but Im sure all the players are back to work this morning studying up for their next respective opponents

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
NDSU will probably lose a game, I still expect a top seed :p.

EWU will definitely lose a game probably more than one.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
The 2010 Bison team was some sophs and many RFR playing in that game. Inexperience and youth is also a factor for teams.

No question Eastern has a very potent offense but I'll take a fundamentally sound defense and good offense any day.

I hope NDSU and EWU get matched up later in the year cus it will be interesting to see how they do against each other.

This.

I tell you what I think (don't I always?) NDSU would do what they do to ALL potent offenses. Neutralize it.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
I bet Montana State is pretty happy with their decision to screw NDSU over after Friday.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
I bet Montana State is pretty happy with their decision to screw NDSU over after Friday.

UND has EWU-Montana-Montana State all at home this year. Wouldn't surprise me if they win 1 or 2 of those games.

Red & Black
September 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Im not ready to automatically crown anyone as a top 5 at this point (or 6 however many seeds there are in the field this year). The wins for EWU and NDSU are great (as well as McNeese and Towson) but at this point it is WAY too early to tell. there are still 10 or 11 games to go for everybody and anything can still happen. I think they both increased their chances, but the season is a marathon not a sprint (to use a cliche) so Id revel in the victory but Im sure all the players are back to work this morning studying up for their next respective opponents

Absolutely. Each game is its own.