What's going on??? Embarassing

Smitty
August 31st, 2013, 08:45 PM
Sounds like this is Western's year to take the helm

edit:
(with Samford...)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2013, 08:49 PM
LOL at El Cit. He talks so much garbage about the PL and the Bulldogs lost to Chuck South...

citdog
August 31st, 2013, 08:54 PM
LOL at El Cit. He talks so much garbage about the PL and the Bulldogs lost to Chuck South...

Charleston Southern would WIN THE PATRIOT LEAGUE EVERY YEAR.

They are a much improved team.

The Citadel should NOT be losing to them in ANY sport.

cmaxwellgsu
August 31st, 2013, 09:00 PM
Well we did our part....

The Cats
August 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM
You forgot about Elon,

Elon lost 0-70 to Ga Tech

theasushow
August 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM
Go Samford, it's your birthday...not for real real....

Go Apps
August 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM
asu is awful thus far at Montana - no offense or defense

PAllen
August 31st, 2013, 09:08 PM
Trying their hardest to match the PFL?

knucklehead
August 31st, 2013, 09:08 PM
Go Big South, haha

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 09:12 PM

edit:
(with Samford...)
lol they may win 4 conference games

ElCid
August 31st, 2013, 09:13 PM
Plus Wofford is getting its a$$ handed to it as well by Baylor. Not sure what is going on.

citdog
August 31st, 2013, 09:13 PM
Griz 13-0 over yosef.

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 09:18 PM
Plus Wofford is getting its a$$ handed to it as well by Baylor. Not sure what is going on.
i wouldn't put too much into that though. baylor is a top-20 team

theasushow
August 31st, 2013, 09:19 PM
Yea ASU is playing pretty bad, I expected Wofford to get killed, Samford is the class of the SOCON thus far..

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 09:22 PM
i'm about too turn this asu game off@ dreadful....

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2013, 09:24 PM

edit:
(with Samford...)

I think GSU and Western might be the only teams that are on par with what was expected.

ElCid
August 31st, 2013, 09:24 PM
i wouldn't put too much into that though. baylor is a top-20 team

Baylor is not ranked in any poll. Got some votes but not ranked. Now if you mean they may become a top 20, maybe. But SC and Clemson were actually ranked when Wofford played them and they kept it respectable. 66-3 (so far) is not respectable.

Go Apps
August 31st, 2013, 09:26 PM
asu is done for this is terrible and embarrassing - Satterfield is a bust!!

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 09:27 PM
asu is done for this is terrible and embarrassing - Satterfield is a bust!!
1..... half

citdog
August 31st, 2013, 09:27 PM
appy state ALREADY has fbs fans

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2013, 09:29 PM
Perhaps the worst week for the conference I can remember.

Furman (for the second straight season) had to fall back on a true freshman starting quarterback. Our offense just was awful all night behind a kid (while talented) who has been a college player for about a month and a half. GWU utilized that inexperience to their advantage, and made life miserable for the Furman offense.

At the end of the day, its just one week's worth of games.

theasushow
August 31st, 2013, 09:32 PM
Samford would have killed us if we played tonight....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2013, 09:34 PM
I'm watching the Griz dominate Appy. I should have tried harder to get a ticket...

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 09:37 PM
Samford would have killed us if we played tonight....
no they wouldn't... a lot of time left. two td's and app is in the lead y'all chill out

WataugaDave
August 31st, 2013, 09:37 PM
1..... half

If the supposed team strategy is "ALWAYS Attack" and they spend the first half getting their asses kicked up and down the field, that doesn't really leave anything to be optimistic about.

theasushow
August 31st, 2013, 09:39 PM
Since NCAA doesnt allow any scrimmages, week 1 is always interesting. teams can never simulate a true game no matter how much they try....conditioning and execution are always a mystery until you actually play a real opponent...

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2013, 09:45 PM
I would say that we'd run the table after this week, but we looked sloppy and not like the team that played NDSU in Fargo. If we can get everyone back from injuries and work out the kinks our offense will be hell on wheels, though.

Oh, and we were 0-2 on field goals. xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxb angxxbangxxbangx

rokamortis
August 31st, 2013, 09:46 PM
GWU beats Furman

Charleston Southern beats Citadel

UTM over Chatty

What's going on??? Embarassing

Perhaps the SoCon isn't as elite as everyone wants to make them. Or perhaps the Big South and OVC have caught up.

Smitty
August 31st, 2013, 09:51 PM
I remember catching so much crap about losing to GW, I guess it is time to pass the torch now...

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 09:53 PM
I remember catching so much crap about losing to GW, I guess it is time to pass the torch now...
i mean a socon school should NEVER be losing to gardner webb

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2013, 09:57 PM
Perhaps the SoCon isn't as elite as everyone wants to make them. Or perhaps the Big South and OVC have caught up.

OVC Champions had NO RIGHT on the playoffs last year against SDSU, they played like trash.

Moto X

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 10:03 PM
is there really no app-montana game thread?

Eaglesrus
August 31st, 2013, 10:10 PM
Oh, and we were 0-2 on field goals. xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxb angxxbangxxbangx

Well, we did make one. What's that old saying about never taking points off the board?

citdog
August 31st, 2013, 10:18 PM
is there really no app-montana game thread?

I ain't Mr. C. I can't watch the game from the press box and type every play as it happens.

theasushow
August 31st, 2013, 10:22 PM
I ain't Mr. C. I can't watch the game from the press box and type every play as it happens.

how does he do that?

citdog
August 31st, 2013, 10:24 PM
how does he do that?

http://magicfree.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Magic-php.gif

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 10:25 PM
app shooting themselves in their own foot this half

Smitty
August 31st, 2013, 10:26 PM
This app game is going great so far

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 10:28 PM
i'm watching this clemson-uga on tv.. app on the radio. life is good right now... even though app is losing :(

Nickels
August 31st, 2013, 10:36 PM
Southland is the new SoCon

DoubleE
August 31st, 2013, 10:46 PM
App State isnt playoff eligable right ?

CID1990
August 31st, 2013, 10:46 PM
CSU out coached and outplayed us. The better team won tonight.

Time to shake it off and get ready for Wofford.

Mountaineer
August 31st, 2013, 10:47 PM

Correct, and after tonight's showing, that might be a good thing. xblehx

ASU_Fanatic
August 31st, 2013, 10:50 PM
embarrassing showing from app st tonight

DoubleE
August 31st, 2013, 11:04 PM
embarrassing showing from app st tonight

Just getting ready for CUSA play lol

AppChicago
August 31st, 2013, 11:11 PM
It's official out in Missoula, for those who couldn't stomach watching it. 30-6. Embarrassing. Hats off to Montana.

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2013, 01:23 AM
I feel less bad about the Mocs losing on Thursday...misery loves company I guess.

seantaylor
September 1st, 2013, 02:43 AM
GSU scored the most points in D1 this week. Glad we are departing this sinking ship.

SpeedkingATL
September 1st, 2013, 05:59 AM
Terrible week for the SoCon. App got embarrassed in Montana as did Wofford and Elon and Furman and Chattanooga and Citadel. Those weren't just losses, those were embarrassing losses. The conferences 2 wins were against GaSt and SavSt so not much to crow about there either. WCU at least didn't embarrass themselves.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2013, 06:10 AM
any FCS fan with a pulse could not help notice what happened to the SoCo yesterday, might just be the worst day in Conference history, at least you have Sav State to beat up on :D

Mr. C
September 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
The way the Mountaineers played against Montana, they wouldn't make any playoffs, even if they were eligible.

Mr. C
September 1st, 2013, 01:18 PM
GSU scored the most points in D1 this week. Glad we are departing this sinking ship.
In a week where FCS won more games against FBS teams than ever, you come up with this drivel? Glad we won't have to listen to you around here after this season. Have fun in the sinking ship known as the Sun Belt.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM
Everyone needs to chill....the three teams that got upset are the three teams that always have had "potential" in the last couple seasons (The Citadel, Chattanooga, and Furman) but can't find a way to lock it down. Their meltdown just happened a tad early.

For instance, Furman's defense looked terrible out there, I'm pretty sure they lost a few people from last year's squad. They are a team that's defensively oriented in that their offense is ball control, run-first (they don't have Williams this year too which is big). If they were going to beat GWU they weren't going to do so by scoring 40 or even 30 points, but by holding them under 20. They couldn't do that, and their offense lacked their QB they had last year and their leading rusher.

I'm seriously not concerned about Wofford getting their ass kicked by Baylor. that's probably the biggest ass-kicking I've witnessed while being a terrier fan (bigger than the Halloween massacre), but with that said we've never played a team like Baylor before, in that I honestly think that was the best offensive team we've played ever (and they still scored less than Armanti Edwards :D). It was a perfect storm, and we turned the ball over 3 times.

If Wofford beats the citadel, we could easily be sitting at 5-2 or 6-1 next month and no one will really be talking about how bad the socon is anymore because things will be back to normal with App, GSU, and Wofford on top of things (or at least GSU and wofford) with everyone else being good, not great or at least not consistent enough to be a contender.

Now, granted, that's a big if, but I think we have a good chance against the citadel.

The Cats
September 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
If Wofford beats the citadel, we could easily be sitting at 5-2 or 6-1 next month and no one will really be talking about how bad the socon is anymore because things will be back to normal with App, GSU, and Wofford on top of things (or at least GSU and wofford) with everyone else being good, not great or at least not consistent enough to be a contender.

That if is just too large to overcome. I don't like your chances when you travel to Charleston, however the Bulldogs also have lots of problems to overcome.

The Cats
September 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM
Southland is the new SoCon

One can certainly make a strong case for that.

Bisonwinagn
September 1st, 2013, 03:02 PM
Everyone needs to chill....the three teams that got upset are the three teams that always have had "potential" in the last couple seasons (The Citadel, Chattanooga, and Furman) but can't find a way to lock it down. Their meltdown just happened a tad early.

For instance, Furman's defense looked terrible out there, I'm pretty sure they lost a few people from last year's squad. They are a team that's defensively oriented in that their offense is ball control, run-first (they don't have Williams this year too which is big). If they were going to beat GWU they weren't going to do so by scoring 40 or even 30 points, but by holding them under 20. They couldn't do that, and their offense lacked their QB they had last year and their leading rusher.

I'm seriously not concerned about Wofford getting their ass kicked by Baylor. that's probably the biggest ass-kicking I've witnessed while being a terrier fan (bigger than the Halloween massacre), but with that said we've never played a team like Baylor before, in that I honestly think that was the best offensive team we've played ever (and they still scored less than Armanti Edwards :D). It was a perfect storm, and we turned the ball over 3 times.

Now, granted, that's a big if, but I think we have a good chance against the citadel.

You shouldn't be concerned considering how bad the rest of the playoff eligible teams in your conference looked. After week 1 results this could be a one bid league.

CID1990
September 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
That if is just too large to overcome. I don't like your chances when you travel to Charleston, however the Bulldogs also have lots of problems to overcome.

Not going to take anything away from CSU- they never quit and they took advantage of our mistakes. That said- we had 3 mistakes that translated into 21 points for them. Two of those were muffed punt returns.

The mistakes that hurt us are easily fixable.

I am more concerned about our coaching. We came out unenthusiastic, uninspired, and once again our play calling was unimaginative and predictable. When opponents stack the box on us, we prefer to run straight into them rather than throw over them.

I think we'll be ok this season, but Higgins needs to exploit our weapons, not abuse them. We also used our #2 QB most of the game. Not sure why we did that.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2013, 03:09 PM

Furman's defense didn't play half poorly. I'm not sure Alabama's defense can hold the lead when the offense can't do anything but go three and out every series. It's hard to come out in the statline, but the Furman defense gave a strong account of themselves. You just can't expect a defense to get stops all game when the offense is just handing it right back every possession.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2013, 03:16 PM
Furman's defense didn't play half poorly. I'm not sure Alabama's defense can hold the lead when the offense can't do anything but go three and out every series. It's hard to come out in the statline, but the Furman defense gave a strong account of themselves. You just can't expect a defense to get stops all game when the offense is just handing it right back every possession.

Well when the defense can't get off the field, I wouldn't say that's totally an offensive problem. Granted, I think Furman ran a grand total of 42 plays (or in that area) so that can't help the defense in terms of fatigue (especially in week one), but still.....I would be concerned with both sides of the ball.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM

I like our chances in Charleston by virtue of the fact that the last few times we've played there, regardless if we were piss-poor and the Citadel was decent, we played pretty well.

On the flip side, the same is not true in Spartanburg where we usually have a nail-biter

(All of these are wofford wins, but that isn't the point)
Games played in Charleston since 2005:
28-10 (05)
28-7 (07)
43-17 (09....worst wofford team in like 15 years too)
43-14

Contrast that with Spartanburg since 2006
28-20
33-28
35-0 (Citadel was breaking in the triple option and we went 9-2 that year....we were pretty good across the board)
24-21

So, as a general trend we play better in Citadel. Now, that's not to say we're guaranteed to play better and win by 3 scores this saturday, but I think Wofford fans are justified in feeling confident in at least winning.

I think it'll be a one score game with Wofford coming on top. If we win by 2 touchdowns that'll be a late score to put it away.

And if the Bellhops win I bet they'll rush the field (they do that right?)

chattanoogamocs
September 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM
Well when the defense can't get off the field, I wouldn't say that's totally an offensive problem. Granted, I think Furman ran a grand total of 42 plays (or in that area) so that can't help the defense in terms of fatigue (especially in week one), but still.....I would be concerned with both sides of the ball.

I am going to have to side with Paladinfan on this one.

Furman's offense: 21:19
Furman's defense: 38:41

Unless your offense is scoring at will...and quickly...it is hard to win games with the defense on the field for nearly 40 minutes.

Tribal
September 1st, 2013, 05:17 PM

You played Savannah State. Savannah. State.

eaglesrback
September 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM
appy state ALREADY has fbs fans

Are you and Chattown sharing a fox hole?

eaglesrback
September 1st, 2013, 05:32 PM
You played Savannah State. Savannah. State.

They ask for it.

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2013, 06:14 PM
I am going to have to side with Paladinfan on this one.

Furman's offense: 21:19
Furman's defense: 38:41

Unless your offense is scoring at will...and quickly...it is hard to win games with the defense on the field for nearly 40 minutes.

My point was that if that is the case (with the TOP difference) either your offense is painfully bad or your defense is painfully bad (maybe both?). It's not like GWU played ball control offense, they had like 300 yards passing.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2013, 07:05 PM
My point was that if that is the case (with the TOP difference) either your offense is painfully bad or your defense is painfully bad (maybe both?). It's not like GWU played ball control offense, they had like 300 yards passing.

You can believe me or don't believe me, but our defense is going to be pretty decent. It was fairly obvious to anyone watching the game that the Furman defense started to just wear out late in the third quarter. Lot of missed tackles, and you started to see GWU start to break off bigger and bigger plays. The defense will be a lot like last year's - if our offense shows up, the defense will keep the other team in check.

I will say this about Gardner Webb, they may not be a sexy pick, but they have a senior QB, a tough running back, and a pair of WRs that can really go get it. There were a few passes the QB made that were, in my opinion, well covered and perfectly thrown balls.

Cocky
September 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Didnt App change coaches?

Engineer86
September 1st, 2013, 07:16 PM

LOL is that anyone respects your opinion when you keep making comments like this. You credibility is about as high as Cid's winning percentage. I do respect you loyalty and and I have to give you credit for you sticktoitness. But I am sure if Lehigh added CID to the schedule, we would still be hearing about scheduling cupcakes, and Colgate won't even bother with you.

but keep talking it keeps things interesting.

Apphole
September 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM
One bid league.

Apphole
September 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM
In a week where FCS won more games against FBS teams than ever, you come up with this drivel? Glad we won't have to listen to you around here after this season. Have fun in the sinking ship known as the Sun Belt.

That ship is rising with the tide and has been for the last 3 years. Pay attention, David.

Oh, and for god sakes act professional.

Go...gate
September 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM

Not a chance, Citdog SIR! :D

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM
That ship is rising with the tide and has been for the last 3 years. Pay attention, David.

I'm tired of hearing about the SunBelt. From everyone.

woffordgrad94
September 1st, 2013, 08:02 PM
There is nowhere for Wofford or the conference as a whole to go but up after this week. But I still think we'll be okay. The schedule is on our side. We leave our FBS game in the rearview (far, far in it hopefully), we play in Charleston next week, where we historically do well as we haven't lost there in over a decade, and then 6 of the final 9 are at home. And I'm sure the Terriers are eager to show that last night was an aberration. And BTW I like the new look board, especially the new mobile version.

WataugaDave
September 1st, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm honestly considering re-disappearing. This season's going to be too embarrassing to discuss, and I definitely don't even want to think about the FBS move.

ASUG8
September 1st, 2013, 10:26 PM
I'm honestly considering re-disappearing. This season's going to be too embarrassing to discuss, and I definitely don't even want to think about the FBS move.

It's one game Dave. We **** the bed in Missoula no doubt (and Montana is good) but I'm not bailing water on the program just yet. New head coach, young defense, no Price, Montana is good, new defense and DC all are things we'll have to work through. I'm no diminishing the UM win because they deserved it, but there are a lot of balls in the air with the ASU program right now.

Mr. C
September 1st, 2013, 11:40 PM

What is unprofessional about this? Secondly, let me know in 10 years how the Sun Belt turns out. It is still the worst conference in FBS. Keeping drinking the Koolaid.

seantaylor
September 2nd, 2013, 02:59 AM

Listen, Steve Perry, I said glad we are departing the Socon. Did you happen to catch the Socon's performance this past weekend? I know you were at Dragoncon, but even you must be able to afford a smart phone by now, no?

fc97
September 2nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Listen, Steve Perry, I said glad we are departing the Socon. Did you happen to catch the Socon's performance this past weekend? I know you were at Dragoncon, but even you must be able to afford a smart phone by now, no?

the socon without gsu and app has a higher rpi after week 1.

skipping elon, their missing a win over the worst fcs team, an a pounding by a top fcs program over a transitional program. without gsu, the socon's fbs games met expectations, samford beat an fbs and there were two upsets. hardly the end of the world.

not everyone gets to open with savannah state and saint francis.

Tribe4SF
September 2nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
the socon without gsu and app has a higher rpi after week 1.

skipping elon, their missing a win over the worst fcs team, an a pounding by a top fcs program over a transitional program. without gsu, the socon's fbs games met expectations, samford beat an fbs and there were two upsets. hardly the end of the world.

not everyone gets to open with savannah state and saint francis.

Samford beat Georgia State. They were favored, and should have been. UTC, Citadel, Furman and ASU results were pretty shocking.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
Samford beat Georgia State. They were favored, and should have been. UTC, Citadel, Furman and ASU results were pretty shocking.

I guess I don't see the Gardner Webb game as "shocking." I mean, sure, Furman was favored. Still, it was a road game to open the season, against a former Furman coach, a team we had never seen on film that returned 19 starters, without our starting quarterback and center, and playing with an injured true freshman at QB. It's just a bad recipe.

Many Furman folks cannot excuse any loss to GWU. Still, Furman lost by 7 on the road to a team with a vast amount of experience at key positions. They just beat us. I don't like the result, but I'm not shocked by it. I think our coaching staff well knew we were in for a dog fight before the game even started.

DoWe
September 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
I went 6-3 with my week #1 SoCon pics. Missed Appy, Citadel and UTC. Furman dropping their opener on the road was something I had a feeling about. I bought the hype on UTC even though UT Martin had better credentials. I figured home field advantage might boost the Mocs. As usual, it did not. Appy and Citadel just laid eggs.

Apphole
September 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
What is unprofessional about this? Secondly, let me know in 10 years how the Sun Belt turns out. It is still the worst conference in FBS. Keeping drinking the Koolaid.

If I really have to answer that question, you might be losing your mind man. Drivel? "sinking ship of the Sun Belt?" You're supposed to be a pro covering this subdivision and you're the most petty poster on this anonymous internet forum.

And I would love to come back and brag about the steadily rising SBC over the next few years, but that would be in bad taste. Who is really drinking the koolaid when you've completely ignored out-of-conference game results and other things that indicate relative conference strength for the SBC? What ever helps you sleep at night, man. I know you're deeply in denial about the decline of your live's work, the FCS, so I'll forgive your childish behavior.

Saint3333
September 2nd, 2013, 01:04 PM
If the Sun Belt is so bad App and GSU should win or share the title EVERY year I guess. That isn't going to happen.

back to the topic. The SoCon may not be down, too early to tell, but it did have its worst week in ten years at a minimum. App did not have a good showing and Satterfield will have a very difficult decision to make if JLJ continues to struggle, he is not 100%.

elcid83
September 2nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
You can believe me or don't believe me, but our defense is going to be pretty decent. It was fairly obvious to anyone watching the game that the Furman defense started to just wear out late in the third quarter. Lot of missed tackles, and you started to see GWU start to break off bigger and bigger plays. The defense will be a lot like last year's - if our offense shows up, the defense will keep the other team in check.

I will say this about Gardner Webb, they may not be a sexy pick, but they have a senior QB, a tough running back, and a pair of WRs that can really go get it. There were a few passes the QB made that were, in my opinion, well covered and perfectly thrown balls.

You mean this pass, PaladinFan?

I agree that QB Lucas Beatty and WR Kenny Cook made some serious connections on Saturday. I wasn't really analyzing your defense, but I'm not sure how anyone can be excited about their defense after they give up 434 yds total offense on 82 plays. Two of your scores came on GWU gifts - a long punt snap that left you with one yard to score and a blown coverage that allowed your WR to get behind our Safety to score on the prettiest ball that Woodruff threw all night. The Furman team I saw Saturday night needs to improve quickly if you are going to avoid another 3-8 season.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Cleets
September 2nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
If the Sun Belt is so bad App and GSU should win or share the title EVERY year I guess. That isn't going to happen.

back to the topic. The SoCon may not be down, too early to tell, but it did have its worst week in ten years at a minimum. App did not have a good showing and Satterfield will have a very difficult decision to make if JLJ continues to struggle, he is not 100%.

The starting App. St. QB Londry needs to NOT run right at Linebackers
He's big and strong kid and very talented but seriously my man / run away from HUGE hits / not at them... you're a QB

They need to coach the fullback mentality out of him somehow

Apphole
September 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
The starting App. St. QB Londry needs to NOT run right at Linebackers
He's big and strong kid and very talented but seriously my man / run away from HUGE hits / not at them... you're a QB

They need to coach the fullback mentality out of him somehow

I think Kam is our better QB. Not only is he better at scrambling but he had the balls to step in the pocket and make solid throws. JLJ looked like a deer in headlights, holding onto the ball, lofting up ducks and scrambling for his life.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
You know it wasn't a good week for the conference when your offensive player of the week rushed for 100 yards on Savannah State.

seantaylor
September 3rd, 2013, 03:02 AM
I guess I don't see the Gardner Webb game as "shocking." I mean, sure, Furman was favored. Still, it was a road game to open the season, against a former Furman coach, a team we had never seen on film that returned 19 starters, without our starting quarterback and center, and playing with an injured true freshman at QB. It's just a bad recipe.

Many Furman folks cannot excuse any loss to GWU. Still, Furman lost by 7 on the road to a team with a vast amount of experience at key positions. They just beat us. I don't like the result, but I'm not shocked by it. I think our coaching staff well knew we were in for a dog fight before the game even started.

I'm sure Garder Webb was perfectly healthy.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2013, 05:38 AM
I'm sure Garder Webb was perfectly healthy.

Don't have any idea. I do believe that had Reese Hannon played, Furman probably would have won. Not an excuse, though, as you gotta play with who you have ready to go. Their 22 beat out 22.

I am not exaggerating, though, when I say that was the worst I have ever seen Furman play. Ever.

OL FU
September 3rd, 2013, 06:24 AM

I am concerned with both sides of the ball but I think PaladinFan got it right. I watched all last year and while we certainly didn't have a stellar defense, the problem with this game was like all of last year.The offense couldn't get first downs so the defense was on the field forever. I think GWU had the ball for 40 minutes. With Wofford's offense, you of all people should know how important offensive productivity is to having a good defense.

TennBison
September 3rd, 2013, 07:11 AM
That would be great, except for the fact that you are no longer D1, remember your school moved up. Regardless of the fact that you are transitioning, you are now a FBS school and a season full of FCS opponents with some FBS sprinkled in. So loose to a FCS team and you are just another FBS school that got beat by the FCS.

Cocky
September 3rd, 2013, 07:21 AM

Who in the SB could beat GaSo this year? App and Ga So should be the top two teams from the get go.

pike51
September 3rd, 2013, 07:49 AM
That would be great, except for the fact that you are no longer D1, remember your school moved up. Regardless of the fact that you are transitioning, you are now a FBS school and a season full of FCS opponents with some FBS sprinkled in. So loose to a FCS team and you are just another FBS school that got beat by the FCS.

I nominate this for idiot post of the week. If we aren't D1, then what are we? Moron.

Plus... we are still considered an FCS school this year in transition. Next year we will be an FBS transition school.

Saint3333
September 3rd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Who in the SB could beat GaSo this year? App and Ga So should be the top two teams from the get go.

ULL, stAte, Troy, ULM, and Texas St. would all be tough games in which App and GSU would be underdogs.

elcid83
September 3rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Don't have any idea. I do believe that had Reese Hannon played, Furman probably would have won. Not an excuse, though, as you gotta play with who you have ready to go. Their 22 beat out 22.

I am not exaggerating, though, when I say that was the worst I have ever seen Furman play. Ever.

I've tried to be polite about GWU's win over Furman. This post is bordering on ridiculous though. GWU controlled every facet of this game. Our front 7 manhandled your big guys and they could not stop the Runnin' Bulldogs from busting up your offense! It's a bit insincere to just blame a freshman QB for this loss. GWU's D held you to 43 plays - no other FCS Defense in the country held the opposing O to fewer plays. Even if your QB was fresh, how is he responsible for GW's offensive success against your defense? How was Reese Hannon going to fix that? IF GWU had not snapped the ball over our punter's head and blown one long pass coverage, Furman would not have scored more than 7 points Saturday night.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

walliver
September 3rd, 2013, 09:53 AM
ULL, stAte, Troy, ULM, and Texas St. would all be tough games in which App and GSU would be underdogs.

Interestingly, only one of those teams will be in the eastern division next year.

OL FU
September 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
I've tried to be polite about GWU's win over Furman. This post is bordering on ridiculous though. GWU controlled every facet of this game. Our front 7 manhandled your big guys and they could not stop the Runnin' Bulldogs from busting up your offense! It's a bit insincere to just blame a freshman QB for this loss. GWU's D held you to 43 plays - no other FCS Defense in the country held the opposing O to fewer plays. Even if your QB was fresh, how is he responsible for GW's offensive success against your defense? How was Reese Hannon going to fix that? IF GWU had not snapped the ball over our punter's head and blown one long pass coverage, Furman would not have scored more than 7 points Saturday night.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

It is difficult to tell what a different QB would have done. We had a similar example in '85 when Lamb was out for the Newberry game which we lost but then finished the season going to the NC game. Now I am not comparing those years but I am stating it can make a huge difference. Would it this time? I don't know. But you are correct. GW looked good. FU looked awful. Not sure if a different QB would have impacted the outcome but I do know the game wasn't as close as the score.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2013, 11:51 AM

No. Just no.

Silenoz
September 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
No. Just no.

They've made a lot of strides since their last few FCS years

Well, maybe not a lot, but they're improved

The Moody1
September 3rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
It is still the worst conference in FBS. Keeping drinking the Koolaid.

Records reflect teams in their current conference, ie. WKU for the Sun Belt, Louisville for the AAC. For the independent's, the teams include those bound for AAC, C-USA and SBC while BYU & ND not included.

After the first week:
SBC 4-4
C-USA 6-7
AAC 4-5
MAC 5-8
Indy's 1-3
MWC 3-9

Cocky
September 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM

ULL wasnt too impressive Sat
stAte is the best of the bunch but wouldnt beat GaSo for sure
Troy should I laugh now or later. You must not have seen any of the UAB game. Two terrible teams that couldnt win any FCS conference
ULM and Tx State havent seen this year but I would bet on App and GaSo.

I understand trying to play down the expectations but be real.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
ULL wasnt too impressive Sat
stAte is the best of the bunch but wouldnt beat GaSo for sure
Troy should I laugh now or later. You must not have seen any of the UAB game. Two terrible teams that couldnt win any FCS conference
ULM and Tx State havent seen this year but I would bet on App and GaSo.

I understand trying to play down the expectations but be real.

In my opinion, I think you also have to factor in travel. I don't see App State going to San Marcos and winning a game right now. Georgia Southern would be a toss up.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2013, 04:12 PM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Gardner Webb had a great night. I'm not taking that away from them. I'm not blaming anyone for the loss, but you can take my word that I have seen a lot of Furman football in my years, and this was easily as bad as Furman has ever looked. Sure, a lot of that was GWU, but I think we can both agree that GWU is not that good. I would have expected more had Furman played NDSU.

As I said, your 22 beat our 22. We don't know how Furman would have done with their starting QB in the game - it doesn't matter, he didn't play. If you couldn't see that the Paladins were running with a QB that didn't know what he was doing, you were watching a different game. He didn't know the coverages, he didn't see blitzes, he threw the ball to the water boy. I don't blame him, its a tough hand to play.

I give a lot of credit to GWU - they did exactly what I would have done against a greenhorn QB. They threw everything at him.

seantaylor
September 4th, 2013, 02:06 AM
GSU this season is not a underdog to any of those teams at home. Texas State? We would beat them by 30 in their crib.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2013, 07:44 AM
GSU this season is not a underdog to any of those teams at home. Texas State? We would beat them by 30 in their crib.

Best I remember, last time GSU went to San Marcos they were favored, fell apart, lost, and fired their coach.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
In my opinion, I think you also have to factor in travel. I don't see App State going to San Marcos and winning a game right now. Georgia Southern would be a toss up.

So basically, you are saying that Georgia Southern and App. would be near the bottom of the standings for the Sun Belt? Because that's where Texas State most likely will be. I think people forget about top Sun Belt teams taking losses to non-playoff FCS squads in 2011 and 2012. I don't expect GSU and App. to run shop right away, but we will be in thick of the conference race.

Best I remember, last time GSU went to San Marcos they were favored, fell apart, lost, and fired their coach.

That was the best team Texas State arguably ever had against possibly the weakest team that Georgia Southern ever brought into the playoffs. Texas State won maybe 3 playoff games in all their years in IAA/FCS and I don't really think they are a whole lot better today.

blueballs
September 4th, 2013, 09:36 AM

Was GSU favored that year or was TSU seeded and GSU an 8-3 at large and one of the last teams in?

Thankfully none of that matters now...