PDA

View Full Version : MVFC the SEC of FCS

Bison56
August 31st, 2013, 11:29 AM
Just saw this comparison on the B1G network. What are your thoughts?

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2013, 11:44 AM
The SEC this year yes, but historically I don't think the MVFC is the SEC of the FCS.

The comparison fails when looking at championships. The last time a MVFC/Gateway team not named NDSU won a national championship, Jim Tressel was the coach at Youngstown State. The only FCS conference can compare in that way is the CAA from 2003-2009.

DoubleE
August 31st, 2013, 11:45 AM
if it was 5 years ago i would have said CAA would have an argument. but right now i would agree

Bison56
August 31st, 2013, 11:50 AM
The SEC this year yes, but historically I don't think the MVFC is the SEC of the FCS.

The comparison fails when looking at championships. The last time a MVFC/Gateway team not named NDSU won a national championship, Jim Tressel was the coach at Youngstown State. The only FCS conference can compare in that way is the CAA from 2003-2009.
I agree.

Phatty
August 31st, 2013, 11:50 AM

I also disagree with the claim that the MVFC is the SEC of the FCS. As you mentioned, the CAA was the most consistently strong conference over a period of many years, but just being the best conference overall in a particular year does not equate to being like the SEC. What sets the SEC apart is not just that it is overall the best conference, it's that in a lot of respects the top teams in that conference are on an entirely different level than the best teams of the other major conferences. The CAA, MVFC, and Southern conferences in their strongest years were never leaps and bounds better than the other conferences and the games between top teams in those conferences were always competitive.

Bison56
August 31st, 2013, 11:55 AM
If i had to compare the MVFC to another IMO i would say old school Big 10 low scoring grind it out games. Again thats my opinion.

MTfan4life
August 31st, 2013, 11:56 AM
In my opinion, there is no SEC of the FCS. We have this discussion every year, but the conference comparisons don't have to transpose to each level. In the FBS, the SEC is elite. Like it or not, they have thrown out elite level athlete dominated teams on the top half of their conference. When their best plays the best from other conferences, they usually do well. In the FCS, that's not the case. There is a great balance across the board. Look at the last two seasons. The semi-finals featured 4 teams from 4 conferences both seasons. For the MVFC to be the SEC, you'd have to see NDSU and UNI in the semis one year, then NDSU and ISU the next, then YSU and SDSU the next, then UNI and SIU the next. The only conference that has done anything like that the last decade is the CAA. However, there's still a much greater balance among conferences in the FCS than in the FBS.

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2013, 12:58 PM
I don't think this is a valid argument. Take NDSU out of the MVFC and you still have great football teams, but possibly no new titles since YSU under a cheating coach.

Moto X

Skjellyfetti
August 31st, 2013, 01:05 PM
No. There is no SEC of the FCS.

MVFC is the best right now. CAA was the best before them. Neither as dominant or as long lasting as the SEC's dominance of FBS. SEC is on another level. MVFC simply the best atm.

DoubleE
August 31st, 2013, 01:06 PM
How did Tressel cheat at YSU ? explain this one to me

Gil Dobie
August 31st, 2013, 01:24 PM

Historical correction which doesn't diminish your argument. When Western Kentucky, Gateway member, won in 2002, Tressel was already at Ohio St.

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2013, 01:24 PM
I'm not saying he cheated at YSU, I am saying he is a cheater.

Moto X

DrStrangelove
August 31st, 2013, 01:28 PM
How did Tressel cheat at YSU ? explain this one to me

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

"As coach at Youngstown (Ohio) State in the mid-1990s, he claimed not to know that his star quarterback had received a car and more than $10,000 from a school trustee and his associates—even though it was later established in court documents that Tressel had told the player to go see the trustee."

Apphole
August 31st, 2013, 01:45 PM
It's the best conference, but the difference between SEC and the rest of the BCS is far greater than the difference between the the MVFC and the rest of the top FCS conferences.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 31st, 2013, 01:47 PM
It's just the first week, but the CAA sure is looking good so far. If nothing else Delaware should have a good offense, Towson beats UConn convincingly, and Nova and W&M are holding their own against ACC teams (I think that's where WVU is, can't remember).

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 01:49 PM
It's just the first week, but the CAA sure is looking good so far. If nothing else Delaware should have a good offense, Towson beats UConn convincingly, and Nova and W&M are holding their own against ACC teams (I think that's where WVU is, can't remember).

BigXII

IBleedYellow
August 31st, 2013, 01:51 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

"As coach at Youngstown (Ohio) State in the mid-1990s, he claimed not to know that his star quarterback had received a car and more than $10,000 from a school trustee and his associates—even though it was later established in court documents that Tressel had told the player to go see the trustee."

I stand corrected. Tressel cheated at YSU too.

Moto X

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 01:56 PM
I will wait a bit before agreeing with something like this.. NDSU seems to be the best in the subdivision, but I don't know how good the other MVFC schools are this year. I know how I want them to be, but I sure expected more out of ISU-r. I really think NDSU would have buried that Ball State team. Also would have probably beat Indiana, which ISU-b gave up SEVENTY THREE points.

MSU seems terrible and YSU was pretty shakey..

SIU is struggling pretty hard with the Illini...

SDSU UNI and NDSU may be the best top 3 of any conference, but that still remains to be seen.

UNHWildcat18
August 31st, 2013, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't say MVFC is the best conference, I'd say you have the best team in NDSU but not overall the best conference.

taper
August 31st, 2013, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't say MVFC is the best conference, I'd say you have the best team in NDSU but not overall the best conference.
One way to find out. You have 11 teams, we have 10, 24 get in the playoffs. Just need to get rid of other conferences and we have a top to bottom matchup.

Bison56
August 31st, 2013, 04:24 PM
I think you can compare the top teams in each conference Bama ansd NDSU but to compare the overall confereces its not even close.

Bison56
August 31st, 2013, 04:27 PM
I just want to make it clear that i am not saying both teams are equal so dont beat me up i am comparing hownthey can dominate teams.

Gil Dobie
August 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
MVFC is the MVFC of FCS :)

Gil Dobie
August 31st, 2013, 04:32 PM
SDSU, IMO, would have gone further in the playoffs last season if they had not played NDSU in the 2nd round.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 31st, 2013, 04:56 PM
I"m just happy about being the MVFC of FCS. Why do we need to compare anything?

The conference doesn't win a championship.

seantaylor
September 1st, 2013, 02:41 AM
SEC thing is garbage. They never go on the road and win OOC games. You saw that this weekend.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2013, 07:13 AM

Not quite true. Tressel was done at YSU in 2000. WKU won the 2002 national title while they were still in what was then known as the Gateway, which later became the MVFC,

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2013, 07:14 AM
SDSU, IMO, would have gone further in the playoffs last season if they had not played NDSU in the 2nd round.

I think you are right.

penguinpower
September 1st, 2013, 07:16 AM
I don't think this is a valid argument. Take NDSU out of the MVFC and you still have great football teams, but possibly no new titles since YSU under a cheating coach.

Moto X

This implies Tressel cheated while at Youngstown State. How did he cheat at Ohio State? Funny that Tressel is called a cheater but no other coach that has. How about the recruiting practices at USC, Oregon, Tennessee, North Carolina,and Miami? Recruiting violations are not considered cheating? However, signing a document and not disclosing the fact that his players were selling memorabilia they rightfully earned is called cheating? I hardly call that cheating in comparison to recruiting violations that end up making a real difference on the field. I am so sick of short sighted bull**** like that. If you don't like the guy just say so. If you want to talk about real cheating, loook at the SEC where you don't even have to be able to spell your name but can still be accepted into a college to play football.

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2013, 07:27 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by DrStrangelove http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=1995573#post1995573)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sel/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html)

I'll just post this again for you PP, since you don't like to read.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2013, 07:30 AM
I"m just happy about being the MVFC of FCS. Why do we need to compare anything?

The conference doesn't win a championship.
Maybe not, but it does help prepare the champ for a title run. Playing tough competition during the season toughens up a team.

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM
This implies Tressel cheated while at Youngstown State. How did he cheat at Ohio State? Funny that Tressel is called a cheater but no other coach that has. How about the recruiting practices at USC, Oregon, Tennessee, North Carolina,and Miami? Recruiting violations are not considered cheating? However, signing a document and not disclosing the fact that his players were selling memorabilia they rightfully earned is called cheating? I hardly call that cheating in comparison to recruiting violations that end up making a real difference on the field. I am so sick of short sighted bull**** like that. If you don't like the guy just say so. If you want to talk about real cheating, loook at the SEC where you don't even have to be able to spell your name but can still be accepted into a college to play football.

Cheating is black and white. If you're in the grey, you're cheating.

It's that simple.

Maybe not, but it does help prepare the champ for a title run. Playing tough competition during the season toughens up a team.

I'd bet money that one of the reasons NDSU has won our past two titles comes from playing the weekly grind of the MVFC against PHYSICAL TEAMS.

Look what happened when we played against SHSU, we totally out-manned them with the physical side of the ballgame. Wofford and GSU were much less physically dominate, obviously, but we still were in a great position to win because of the physical play that occurs in the Valley.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 1st, 2013, 07:47 AM

Ray Isaac
Terrelle Pryor

A bit of a pattern here. You don't get a show cause penalty by following the rules.

penguinpower
September 1st, 2013, 09:05 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by DrStrangelove http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=1995573#post1995573)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sel/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html)

I'll just post this again for you PP, since you don't like to read.

You obviously do not get my point. Nothing was proven in the Ray Isaac case. You are quoting an SI story as factual. The only facts were that Tressel signed a document stating that his players were following NCAA rules when in fact they were not because they were selling rightfully earned memorabilia.

What you do not seem to comprehend is that player benefits is a systemic problem throughout college football. If you don't see that then you need to take your blinders off. It is everywhere and happening on your favorite team too.

The bigger issue is in the recruiting practices that have self monitoring. That is the area that is not an even playing field because of rampant NCAA rules violations and a coaching fraternity that doesn't report. That is where the cheating occurs.

So tell me how Tressel cheated on the field again? You must know something I don't. Did he pay the refs?

How does Craig Bohl get 100 D1 athletes on 63 scholarships? One of my lifelong dreams is to visit North Dakota because there is so much to see and do, that must be how he does it. He just gets some of the best athletes (hardly any jucos) because everyone wants to go to NDSU right? My point here applies across the board with any team region of the country. Read between the lines.

IBleedYellow
September 1st, 2013, 09:13 AM
You obviously do not get my point. Nothing was proven in the Ray Isaac case. You are quoting an SI story as factual. The only facts were that Tressel signed a document stating that his players were following NCAA rules when in fact they were not because they were selling rightfully earned memorabilia.

What you do not seem to comprehend is that player benefits is a systemic problem throughout college football. If you don't see that then you need to take your blinders off. It is everywhere and happening on your favorite team too.

The bigger issue is in the recruiting practices that have self monitoring. That is the area that is not an even playing field because of rampant NCAA rules violations and a coaching fraternity that doesn't report. That is where the cheating occurs.

So tell me how Tressel cheated on the field again? You must know something I don't. Did he pay the refs?

Don't put words into my mouth. I never once said he cheated on the field.

Although that doesn't matter if things aren't straight off the field.

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2013, 08:06 AM

How does Craig Bohl get 100 D1 athletes on 63 scholarships? One of my lifelong dreams is to visit North Dakota because there is so much to see and do, that must be how he does it. He just gets some of the best athletes (hardly any jucos) because everyone wants to go to NDSU right? My point here applies across the board with any team region of the country. Read between the lines.

PP come on man!! You know they go to NDSU for the education xrolleyesx

Houndawg
September 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Everybody knows you go to NDSU for the babes, where else do you only need to meet three girls to get a ton of poontang?

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Everybody knows you go to NDSU for the babes, where else do you only need to meet three girls to get a ton of poontang?

And I thought it was Montana that was into livestock. ;) xlolx