PDA

View Full Version : Joey Harrington/Fox Sports 1

Griz40
August 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I have to applaud Joey Harrington tonight for his calling of the NDSU vs K State game. How refreshing/surprising to hear someone give props to an FCS team throughout the game. He even made his cohort in the booth not be negative. I have to give this booth team (Harrington) huge props for the call of the game. Well done.

On a side note: As a very hopeful Griz fan this season, this Bison team looks as good now as it did at the end of the season last year, and that is scary!

Oh....Nice win Bison!!!!!! xnodx

Bill
August 30th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Good call, Griz. Harrington's been fairer (not really a word, is it:) than most when broadcasting FCS....

cmaxwellgsu
August 30th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I enjoyed that he knew what NDSU has done, and referenced their win over us quite a bit on that final drive. However, it was a bad reminder. Congrats Bison!

SoCalAg
August 30th, 2013, 11:08 PM
funny, I was saying the same thing to my wife as we watched NDSU ram it down their throats on that last drive. He referenced the FCS Semi-Final game against GS last year. Clearly had done his homework and has respect for all levels of football.

Great win Bison, congrats!

Hammerhead
August 30th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I thought they did a good job on the game. They only called us "North Dakota" once although they did correct themselves a few times.

Sam_Kats
August 30th, 2013, 11:15 PM
FS1 did a great job. Kudos to the broadcast team.

Drblankstare
August 30th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I thought their coverage was very good. They actually treated this like a real game. I was really thinking Harrington would be a mess. I was very wrong. He did a very good job

marenlee
August 30th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I liked the coverage too. But I wanted to throw something at the TV every time they integrated an ad on the sides and bottom of the game!!! xpissedx

Drblankstare
August 30th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I liked the coverage too. But I wanted to throw something at the TV every time they integrated an ad on the sides and bottom of the game!!! xpissedx
Oh god, I was thinking the exact same thing. At least they weren't constantly going to commercial after ever change of Pos.

Mountaineer
August 30th, 2013, 11:38 PM
The broadcast crew did a good job giving props to the FCS and to the Bison team.

A refreshing change from ESPN where they're talking Alabama, Manziel, or BCS Championship after every play. xcoolx

marenlee
August 30th, 2013, 11:44 PM
The broadcast crew did a good job giving props to the FCS and to the Bison team.

A refreshing change from ESPN where they're talking Alabama, Manziel, or BCS Championship after every play. xcoolx

Or even better. I have had Sportscenter on for the past 45 minutes, and half of the show has been a preview/retrospective of ESPN Gameday. Not football, but a preview show..... Why am I even bothering?

AmsterBison
August 30th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Broadcast team was awesome. I almost would have liked to hear more about Kansas State. Heh, it's lucky Vraa wasn't involved in more plays because they were running out of ways to pronounce his name.

You know what was really nice? How often did they give props to a Bison player just because he was an FBS transfer? Not that they could have anyway. :)

Twentysix
August 31st, 2013, 04:02 AM
Broadcast team was awesome. I almost would have liked to hear more about Kansas State. Heh, it's lucky Vraa wasn't involved in more plays because they were running out of ways to pronounce his name.

You know what was really nice? How often did they give props to a Bison player just because he was an FBS transfer? Not that they could have anyway. :)

We have none, correct?

That's all the espn3 guys did during the ISU-r ball state game.

This guys good cause he played at iowa, this guys good cause he was at iowa state, this guys good cause he was offered a pair of shoes by penn state, etc etc etc.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 31st, 2013, 07:03 AM

Fox Sports did a great job of coverage. Harrington did his homework...great job.

dystopiamembrane
August 31st, 2013, 07:34 AM
Joey's a college football fan. He grew up in Portland. Although the sports landscape here is dominated by Oregon and Oregon State, our hometown team is an FCS school. During his high school days, his team's home games were played at the same park that Portland State calls home. We also have a perennial contender for the DIII title down the road at Linfield College. Our local paper does a fine job of reporting on these schools. I've always respected Harrington's complete knowledge of the college landscape.

RichH2
August 31st, 2013, 08:40 AM
Harrington was a surprise. He knew FCS and did not slight NDSU .Refreshing. Graphics annoying at times seemed to fill entire screen.

Southern Bison
August 31st, 2013, 09:09 AM
Chris Fowler on ESPN College Gameday just referred to the Texas A&M game next week against Sam Houston St. as a virtual scrimmage...xthumbsdownx Eat 'em up Kats!

Congrats to Fox Sports 1 for a sound broadcast with a color commentator that was actuallycompetent.

Skyhawk71
August 31st, 2013, 09:17 AM
FOX SPORTS 1 for all future playoff and National Championship coverage!!!!!! Too bad this is just a pipe dream, ESPN can suck IT!!!!!!!

Phatty
August 31st, 2013, 12:09 PM
I also thought Joey Harrington did an excellent job broadcasting the game -- not just in his fairness to NDSU but his overall commentary during the game.

It was amusing how right after the game ended FS1 went back to the main studio and did a highlights recap of the game. Every highlight was of K-State and showed each of K-State's scores. No highlights of NDSU and then the recap just ends awkwardly with the anchor mentioning "and NDSU wins the game 24-21." A random observer just flipping to the channel would be justifiably confused. I have a feeling that the FS1 studio folks had produced the highlight recap before the game ended with the assumption that K-State would win and nobody cares about the lowly FCS school so lets just show the K-State highlights.

Gil Dobie
August 31st, 2013, 12:38 PM
Patrick Reusse of the Twin Cities didn't like Harrington, but Reusse doesn't like anyone.

Bison56
August 31st, 2013, 12:44 PM
Chris Fowler on ESPN College Gameday just referred to the Texas A&M game next week against Sam Houston St. as a virtual scrimmage...xthumbsdownx Eat 'em up Kats!

Congrats to Fox Sports 1 for a sound broadcast with a color commentator that was actuallycompetent.

I heard that also then turned the channel. I personally cant stand ESPN I really hope Fox can get it together for a better alternative. The attitude ESPN has about the FCS is sad they put meaningless basketball games on over playoffs.

Needless to say I will be pulling for the Kats in that game.