PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Rule

cmaxwellgsu
August 29th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Ok, I'll go ahead and say I hate this rule. Well, ESPN just showed a replay of the first call under it and the officials got it right. The ISU kid that just laid out the Indiana punt returner deserved to get the call. I know nothing about this kid who did it, and I have only seen that play from the game. But, just taking that play entirely on its own, the stripes applied it correctly. Just wanted to complement the refs on something I am still worried about them having the power to do.

Twentysix
August 29th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Ok, I'll go ahead and say I hate this rule. Well, ESPN just showed a replay of the first call under it and the officials got it right. The ISU kid that just laid out the Indiana punt returner deserved to get the call. I know nothing about this kid who did it, and I have only seen that play from the game. But, just taking that play entirely on its own, the stripes applied it correctly. Just wanted to complement the refs on something I am still worried about them having the power to do.

They did not apply the rule willy-nilly. I hope that the BigXII ref's keep their composure.

Also, it was their center, and it was an interception.

clenz
August 29th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Correct call in that case.

The center went full crown of helmet to facemask on that one with no intent of hitting him anywhere but the head with his head.

cmaxwellgsu
August 29th, 2013, 10:29 PM
They did not apply the rule willy-nilly. I hope that the BigXII ref's keep their composure.

Also, it was their center, and it was an interception.

The play I was talking about was an ISU punt. He leveled the return guy two seconds before the ball got there. I hope y'all get fair treatment at K-State, as we've gotten a little SEC home cookin' in the past. I just wanted to state that the refs have done well so far tonight with a dangerous new rule.

Gringer1
August 29th, 2013, 10:54 PM
A Tulane player was the first to be ejected from the new rule. Does anybody have video of it? I'd like to make some judgments on how they're calling these things.

Twentysix
August 29th, 2013, 10:57 PM
The play I was talking about was an ISU punt. He leveled the return guy two seconds before the ball got there. I hope y'all get fair treatment at K-State, as we've gotten a little SEC home cookin' in the past. I just wanted to state that the refs have done well so far tonight with a dangerous new rule.

You and I must be talking about a different ISU.

Illinois State had this rule used against them during an interception.

They lost their starting center until the 2nd half of their next game, against EIU.

Gringer1
August 29th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Indiana State had a player ejected on a punt return.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 29th, 2013, 11:52 PM
It really is a BS rule, UD had a penalty called on a completely clean hit tonight vs Jax due to it. They didn't call it as flagrant enough to eject someone, but it was hands down a clean hit that should have never drew a flag.

rokamortis
August 30th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Indiana State had a player ejected on a punt return.

That guy deserved to get ejected, horrible play.

dewey
August 30th, 2013, 05:58 AM
That guy deserved to get ejected, horrible play.

100% agreed! I saw that on the highlights and it was blatantly obvious.

Dewey

Panther88
August 30th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I understand the rule now as an adult. While younger, I would've been banned from playing football forever because that's all I did lol. I noticed how it demanded so much respect after you applied it correctly to defenders. :D Everyone would instantly seek to avoid you at all costs.

McNeese72
August 30th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Missouri St. had a player ejected for this rule. They didn't replay it but it didn't look bad or intentional at game speed. He hit low but the pile of players was going down so it ended up looking like he was trying to lead with his helmet. At least, that is what it looked like at game speed to me. I'd like to see a replay.

Doc