PDA

View Full Version : Big Red a part of Capital One's Mascot of the Year!!!

wkuhillhound
September 18th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Western Kentucky University's Big Red is the only I-AA football mascot to be named to the Capital One All-America Mascot Team.

Other participants include:
The Bird (Air Force Academy)
Aubie (Auburn)
Buzz (Georgia Tech)
Mr. Wuf (North Carolina State)
Otto (Syracuse)
Wildcat (Kentucky)
Testudo (Maryland)
Sooner (Oklahoma)
Smokey (Tennessee)
Buckey Badger (Wisconsin)
Butch T. Cougar (Washington State)

Let's get the voting everyone!!!!!
voting is at www.capitalonebowl.com

For Week 2 Big Red is up against Mr. Wuf of North Carolina State

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Western Kentucky University's Big Red is the only I-AA football mascot to be named to the Capital One All-America Mascot Team.

Other participants include:
The Bird (Air Force Academy)
Aubie (Auburn)
Buzz (Georgia Tech)
Mr. Wuf (North Carolina State)
Otto (Syracuse)
Wildcat (Kentucky)
Testudo (Maryland)
Sooner (Oklahoma)
Smokey (Tennessee)
Buckey Badger (Wisconsin)
Butch T. Cougar (Washington State)

Let's get the voting everyone!!!!!
voting is at www.capitalonebowl.com

For Week 2 Big Red is up against Mr. Wuf of North Carolina State

No Stanford tree? If you plow that mascot... tiiiimmbeeerr... :D

Man, I hate mascots...

Grizzaholic
September 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM
No Stanford tree? If you plow that mascot... tiiiimmbeeerr... :D

Man, I hate mascots...

You can't hate Monte from the GRIZ because he is always entertaining.:thumbsup:

Ronbo
September 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Monte's been banned from the competition since he took it the first two years.

AppGuy04
September 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Sorry bro, this NC State grad has to vote for Mr. Wuf

Retro
September 18th, 2006, 02:39 PM
They need to pick some new mascots instead of the same ones on ESPN all the time.

PantherRob82
September 19th, 2006, 09:28 AM
our mascot is very interactive and imaginative. suprised he's never been in this. he's done well in the mascot competitions elsewhere.

Against Drake he walked around with a bone on a string and a net. Against SDSU he was wearing a hunting vest and holding a sign that said "Shhhhhh. I'm hunting Wabbits."

Better than a lot of mascots that just walk around.

What does Big Red do? An impression of a gum drop? No smack intended, but a giant blob doesn't seem like a top mascot.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM
You can't hate Monte from the GRIZ because he is always entertaining.:thumbsup:

Half the fun of having the Griz play in Portland is seeing Monty perform. That and a Viking win, of course.

HiHiYikas
September 19th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Looks like they mix up the lineup a good bit, though there are several mascots that have made multiple appearances:

Once: Big Al (University of Alabama), Big Jay (University of Kansas), Bruiser (Baylor University) , Brutus Buckeye (Ohio State University), Buckey Badger (Wisconsin), Chip (University of Colorado), Duke Dog (James Madison University), Goldy Gopher (University of Minnesota) , Harry the Huskey (University of Washington) , Herbie Husker (University of Nebraska), Hey Reb (University of Nevada – Las Vegas) , Hokie Bird (Virginia Tech) , Joe Bruin (UCLA), Mr. Wuf (North Carolina State), Nittany Lion (Penn State), Purdue Pete (Purdue University), Sam the Minuteman (University of Massachusetts), Seymour (University of Southern Mississippi) , Sooner (Oklahoma), Victor E. Bull (University of Buffalo), Youdee (University of Delaware).

Twice: Albert (University of Florida), Butch T. Cougar (Washington State), Hairy Dawg (University of Georgia), Otto (Syracuse University), Sebastian (University of Miami), Testudo (Maryland).

Three times: Buzz (Georgia Tech), Cocky (University of South Carolina), Monte (University of Montana), Scratch (University of Kentucky), The Bird (Air Force Academy).

Four times: Aubie (Auburn University), Big Red (Western Kentucky University), Smokey (Tennessee).

carney2
September 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Do we have a picture of Big Red? Can't vote blind, ya know.

I'm with the guy who hates mascots. Our unimaginative Leopard was messing with the guy in front of me on Saturday because he was wearing a Penn hat. It (he or she - who knows) was blocking everyone's view and was making the target's wife visibly uncomfortable. I was ready to bop it over its spotted head myself.

igo4uni
September 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I voted for Big Red.

He's ahead of his competition by only 15 votes.

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I voted for him and I'll do it again.

igo4uni
September 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM

http://www.wku.edu/Athletics/tradition/bred2.jpg

slycat
September 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
They need to pick some new mascots instead of the same ones on ESPN all the time.

i agree. wheres the fun in the same mascots always doing it.

HiHiYikas
September 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
i agree. wheres the fun in the same mascots always doing it.
It really doesn't look like it's the same mascots all the time - that's why I posted the all-time lineup by number of appearances. Only a handful have been in the contest more than twice, and two of those are I-AA mascots (Montana's Monte and WKU's Big Red).

slycat
September 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM
It really doesn't look like it's the same mascots all the time - that's why I posted the all-time lineup by number of appearances. Only a handful have been in the contest more than twice, and two of those are I-AA mascots (Montana's Monte and WKU's Big Red).

still no team needs to do it more than once. its good to see they actually represent I-AA well though.

therealbigredrules
September 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM

http://www.wku.edu/images/bigred.jpg http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/image.php?u=341&dateline=1124852437

See all his ESPN Work here - http://herald.wku.edu/1.html

blur2005
September 19th, 2006, 10:55 PM
This is something of a tangent, but the Duke Dog should've won in 2004. He went undefeated in the weekly voting, 9-0 if I recall correctly, and then didn't win. That was ridiculous.

kouka
September 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
let's vote for the worst. Here is my nomination.

wkukid
September 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Big Red is so much fun. We take a lot of crap from people about him but as soon as you see Big Red in action you'll love him!

wkuhillhound
September 28th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for voting and a big win for Big Red or Mr. Wulf. Big Red is 1 - 1 and is in 7th place overall and is behind by 56 votes to Bucky Badger. Keep voting guys and gals.......:D :D :D :D

crunifan
September 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM
our mascot is very interactive and imaginative. suprised he's never been in this. he's done well in the mascot competitions elsewhere.

Against Drake he walked around with a bone on a string and a net. Against SDSU he was wearing a hunting vest and holding a sign that said "Shhhhhh. I'm hunting Wabbits."

Better than a lot of mascots that just walk around.

What does Big Red do? An impression of a gum drop? No smack intended, but a giant blob doesn't seem like a top mascot.

I'll be honest, TC pretty much rocks. My favorite moment, personally, was when he tackled Herky.:hurray: