PDA

View Full Version : Valpo at UND--Game thread

darell1976
August 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209227616&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Grand Forks, N.D. - The North Dakota football team has one of the most intriguing 2013 schedules in the Football Championship Subdivision and it all starts on Thursday night when Valparaiso comes to the Alerus Center. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. as the Crusaders will be just the fifth August opponent for UND.

The Green and White are also just one of two FCS teams that will play its first four games of the 2013 season at home. That has not been the case for a UND since the 1955 squad opened its campaign with four straight home contests.

The three teams that follow Valpo into town are currently ranked in both The Sports Network/Fathead.com and FCS Coaches' Top 25 polls.

THE BLITZ
• Valparaiso and North Dakota have gone 92 seasons since meeting on Thanksgiving Day in 1920. It is the longest stretch between a game in a series in UND history. Valpo won that day by the score of 20-10 in the only previous matchup between the teams.
• UND improved to 87-29-1 with its 66-0 victory over South Dakota Mines in the 2012 season opener.
• This is the second time in three seasons that UND has opened its schedule with a team from the Pioneer Football League. UND blanked Drake 16-0 in 2011.
• August games have been a rarity for UND, but they’ve also been good to the program. UND improved to 5-0 in the month in 2012 after posting a 66-0 victoy over South Dakota Mines on Aug. 30.
• UND’s blanking of SD Mines was its 41st in a season opener. It was the second straight shutout in a season opener, including that win over the Bulldogs in 2011.
• The win over the Hardrockers was also the 23rd straight home-opening win for UND and the 66 points were the most ever scored in a season opener.

LIVE FROM GRAND FORKS
TV: Midco Sports Network (Channel 27, 622)
Video: Watch Big Sky (www.WatchBigSky.com (http://www.watchbigsky.com/?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500) - FREE webcast)
Radio: UND Radio Network (96.1 FM — Grand Forks) - pregame show at 6 p.m. CT
Audio: UND Radio Network broadcast also available at www.UNDSports.com (http://www.undsports.com/?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500)
Chat: Chat live at www.UNDSports.com (http://www.undsports.com/?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500)
Stats: Live stats available at www.UNDSports.com (http://www.undsports.com/?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500)
Twitter: For live scoring updates and game notes follow @UNDFootball

DID YOU KNOW?
• UND quarterbacks coach Danny Freund used to serve as a ball boy during Valparaiso games as a youngster. Freund grew up in Kenosha, Wis., which is just a couple of hours away from the Indiana school.
• Valparaiso is the only school from Indiana that UND has ever played on the gridiron.
• The 2013 season marks the 21st year for the Pioneer Football League – the nation’s only non-scholarship, football-only NCAA Football Championship Subdivision conference.
• The PFL is one of only two conferences that sponsor football as its only sport (the Missouri Valley Football Conference being the other).

HISTORY OF THE SERIES
These teams met only once previously with Valparaiso taking a 20-10 decision from UND on Thanksgiving Day in 1920.

MAGIC CARPET RIDE
• UND is 66-13 in 12 seasons at the Alerus Center, including a 10-0 mark in the Division II playoffs. UND has gone undefeated in the building during a season three times (2003, 2004 and 2006).
• Head coach Chris Mussman is 20-9 all-time at UND’s home facility and improved to 3-0 in season openers at the Alerus thanks to the 66-0 victory over SD Mines last season.
• In those 20 home wins under Mussman’s guidance, UND is averaging 38.0 ppg and the team is 17-1 at home when scoring 30 or more points. The only setback occurred last season when Northern Arizona defeated UND 45-38 on Oct. 13.

BARTLES EDGES MOLLBERG FOR TOP QB SPOT
Redshirt freshmen Ryan Bartels and Joe Mollberg entered fall camp in a tight battle for the top quarterback spot and it took every snap of fall camp before head coach Chris Mussman decided on his starting quarterback. The winner of that competion would end up being Bartles, who will make his first career start against Valpo. UND has four quarterbacks on its current roster and no one among that quartet has every attempted a pass in a collegiate game. Both Bartels and Mollberg quarterbacks performed admireably in the 2013 Spring Game. Bartels was efficient for the Green Team, completing 9-of-10 passes for 78 yards and a touchdown, while Mollberg led the White Team to the victory after completing 14-of-20 passes for 153 yards and a touchdown. Fellow redshirt freshman Jake Hanson split time between both squads and combined to go 4-for-7 for 76 yards and a touchdown.

NEW COORDINATORS
Head coach Chris Mussman will have two new coordinators calling plays on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball in 2013. Long-time coordinators Greg Breitbach (offensive) and Mike Mannausua (defensive) left the program following the 2012 season. Breitbach is now the head coach at Millersville (Pa.) University - a Division II institution, while Mannausau took over as the Assistant A.D. and executive director of the Champions Club at UND. Their replacements weren’t hard to find, in fact both were just down the hallway as assistant head coach and linebackers coach Josh Kotelnicki was elevated to defensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Luke Schleusner takes over the reigns as offensive coordinator.

Kotelnicki and Schleusner are no strangers to the program as both were key contributors to the 2001 Division II national championship won by UND and both have been on Mussman’s coaching staff. Kotelnicki is entering his eighth season overall on the coaching staff, while Schleusner begins his third. Safeties coach Benny Boyd will take over as the special teams coordinator – a post that Kotelnicki held since the 2008 season.

THURSDAYS WITH MUSSMAN
Head coach Chris Mussman is entering his sixth season at the helm of the North Dakota football team and this will mark the fifth time his team has opened a campaign on a Thursday. Mussman is 3-1 in those contests, including back-to-back shutouts in the previous two season openers (16-0 over Drake in 2011 and 66-0 over South Dakota Mines in 2012).

FROM THE DID YOU KNOW CATEGORY
• UND opens the season with four straight home games; the last time that happened was in 1955.
• UND will play nine of its 11 regular season games indoors. The only road games on the slate are at Portland State (Oct. 26) and UC Davis (Nov. 16) will be played outdoors.
• FCS teams are allowed to play 12 games this season, but UND and Northern Arizona are the only two in the Big Sky that opted to play 11. The remaining 11 league teams all have full schedules. Like UND, NAU is also playing a non-conference game against a Big Sky foe when the Lumberjacks play at UC Davis on Sept. 14.

QUITE THE DEBUT
UND defeated Sacramento State 35-13 in its Big Sky debut behind the powerful running of senior Mitch Sutton and a defense that forced three Hornet turnovers and stopped the SAC offense on fourth down twice. The 22-point victory was the highest-ever by a league team in its first Big Sky game dating back to the league’s inception in 1963.

darell1976
August 29th, 2013, 08:39 AM
The game is also on Fox College Sports Central....channel 307 for those with CableOne in Fargo.

UNDColorado
August 29th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Channel 623 for those on Directv. HOKA HEY!

Twentysix
August 29th, 2013, 11:11 AM
What open air channel is it on in Fargo?

WeAreNorthDakota
August 29th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Not sure if open air will be an option (could be wrong though) but WatchBigSky.com would be the easiest place to watch. Should just be the Midco Sports feed.

LetsGoSioux!
August 29th, 2013, 03:39 PM
GO UND! BEAT VALPO!

deez_na
August 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM
If UND can't beat Valpo that will be pretty embarrassing.

darell1976
August 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM
If UND can't beat Valpo that will be pretty embarrassing.

Almost as embarrassing as losing to Sioux Falls. I predict 63-0. I am sure QB's will be rusty but if its not at least 28-0 or 28-3 by halftime there is something wrong with the team.

deez_na
August 29th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Almost as embarrassing as losing to Sioux Falls. I predict 63-0. I am sure QB's will be rusty but if its not at least 28-0 or 28-3 by halftime there is something wrong with the team.

I agree, Sioux Falls would be horrible. I'm thinking more like 49-3

darell1976
August 29th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I agree, Sioux Falls would be horrible. I'm thinking more like 49-3

NDSU beat Valpo 52-0 in 04, if our offense can't get close to that, the defense is going to have to carry this teamxeekx

DJKyR0
August 29th, 2013, 04:00 PM
the defense is going to have to carry this team

http://thegboatdotnet.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/roosevelt-laugh.jpg

darell1976
August 29th, 2013, 04:07 PM

UND's future mascot?

marenlee
August 29th, 2013, 07:45 PM
21-0 at end of the 1st. Alerus looks like a tight fit on TV. Along with decent amount of empty seats.

marenlee
August 29th, 2013, 07:48 PM
The Rough Riders actually doesn't sound half bad. :p

DA BEAR
August 29th, 2013, 08:16 PM
UND QB looks pretty good!

darell1976
August 29th, 2013, 08:20 PM
35-0 UND :16 left in first half. UND has put 2nd string QB Joe Mollberg in th game.

Twentysix
August 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM
UND QB looks pretty good!

Mertens looked awesome against CCSU. Just sayin'...

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2013, 09:13 PM
The SDSU game will be a true test for UND.

Valpo is gaining yards up the middle. I'm sure the Jacks will test the UND run defense.

Hammerhead
August 29th, 2013, 09:13 PM
It would be a perfect fit if Red River High School in Grand Forks wasn't already using it. :D

I was flipping around and saw this game was 35-0 at the half and then when I flipped back the Whioux had already scored again.

The Rough Riders actually doesn't sound half bad. :p

F'N Hawks
August 29th, 2013, 09:30 PM

We all can't play defense like the mighty Valley. I mean look at the show they put on tonight. Buddy Ryan is blushing.

F'N Hawks
August 29th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I feel bad for Valpo's coach, they have nothing to work with. UND didn't prove anything tonight and now have to take on SDSU with an inflated sense of self worth. Not going to be good next week if they keep making all those mistakes and giving up 7 yard runs up the middle constantly.

darell1976
August 29th, 2013, 11:23 PM
UND played great but they also played Valpo it's hard to judge. After the SDSU game next Saturday we will see what the future holds for North Dakota. UND had a KR, and PR for a TD, and even did a successful fake punt. It was entertaining.

mmiller_34
August 29th, 2013, 11:50 PM
.....and even did a successful fake punt.....

Was that realllly necessary??

gotts
August 29th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Was that realllly necessary??

It was early on, 14-0 maybe. ****ty snap that bounced off the rug to the punter.

F'N Hawks
August 30th, 2013, 06:48 AM
It was not a fake. The true freshman punter panicked after a bad snap and took off.

darell1976
August 30th, 2013, 07:31 AM
It was not a fake. The true freshman punter panicked after a bad snap and took off.

It wasn't scripted as a fake but he made it a fake by taking off instead of running to the side and kicking it. Still was a great heads up play by the Freshman.

Winindy
August 30th, 2013, 07:58 AM
That would be a "botched punt", IMO. A fake would be a play, from conception to execution, developed to deceive the other team. Thus, the term "fake". As in, "holy ****, did we get faked out on that." The botched punt result in self preservation. As in, "holy ****, I need to run to save my spindly punter leg."

darell1976
August 30th, 2013, 08:34 AM
That would be a "botched punt", IMO. A fake would be a play, from conception to execution, developed to deceive the other team. Thus, the term "fake". As in, "holy ****, did we get faked out on that." The botched punt result in self preservation. As in, "holy ****, I need to run to save my spindly punter leg."

I was surprised when he took a hit and kept running a bit more then went out of bounds. Gutsy punter.

THE HERD
August 30th, 2013, 08:43 AM
How many yards did Valpo have rushing?

darell1976
August 30th, 2013, 08:57 AM
How many yards did Valpo have rushing?

31 carries 81 yds 2.4 avg

Bisonator
August 30th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Did Muss have all the backups in to start the 2nd half?

F'N Hawks
August 30th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Did Muss have all the backups in to start the 2nd half?
No they played into third quarter. Reason was they barely even played in the first half. First play of the game was 75 yard TD. Next series they returned the punt for a TD. Start of the 2nd half UND returned the kickoff for a TD.

Really the first team offense didn't get many game reps at all. Backups took over toward end of third quarter and then all of 4th quarter.

Not a good recipe to build experience when you got SDSU, Montana, and Montana State all in a row.

Bisonator
August 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
No they played into third quarter. Reason was they barely even played in the first half. First play of the game was 75 yard TD. Next series they returned the punt for a TD. Start of the 2nd half UND returned the kickoff for a TD.

Really the first team offense didn't get many game reps at all. Backups took over toward end of third quarter and then all of 4th quarter.

Not a good recipe to build experience when you got SDSU, Montana, and Montana State all in a row.

Wow.

F'N Hawks
August 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Wow.
Don't like the way that game played out at all. SDSU is going to punch them in the mouth and its going to be interesting to see how they handle it.

Twentysix
August 30th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Don't like the way that game played out at all. SDSU is going to punch them in the mouth and its going to be interesting to see how they handle it.

You could always put ipecac in their Gatorade container.

Bisonator
August 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Yeah SDSU will be a lot different then Valpo! xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Valpo needs to drop football and go all in with hoops. There's hope in hoops...

UNDColorado
August 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Tough to learn anything from this game. The rookie punter was a pretty good athlete on both sides of the ball in high school. It was impressive to see him react and scoot on that botched snap. We need special teams work though. Thankfully we have a couple extra days before SDSU next Saturday.

They will punch us in the face...will we swing back is the question...

WeAreNorthDakota
August 30th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I feel bad for Valpo's coach, they have nothing to work with. UND didn't prove anything tonight and now have to take on SDSU with an inflated sense of self worth. Not going to be good next week if they keep making all those mistakes and giving up 7 yard runs up the middle constantly.

I thought that happened too much also but looking at their final numbers how many times could it actually have happened? When a team rushes that many times it's inevitable that a few are going to be bigger gains but I'm optimistic in that I don't think there were more than two carries that went for double digit yards. We had a lot of plays stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage which is not something we saw much of last year.

WeAreNorthDakota
August 30th, 2013, 03:43 PM
31 carries 81 yds 2.4 avg

That number also includes 2 carries for -31 yards that I assume are sacks. Actual rushing numbers then look like 32 carries for 112 yards with a 3.5 yard average.