PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell

DTSpider
September 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I admittedly know very little about Bucknell other than that they run the triple option & were 1-10 last year. Can someone bring me up to speed?

What should I expect Saturday when they come to UR Stadium? Do they travel well? How good is the defense? Will this game be close?

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I admittedly know very little about Bucknell other than that they run the triple option & were 1-10 last year. Can someone bring me up to speed?

What should I expect Saturday when they come to UR Stadium? Do they travel well? How good is the defense? Will this game be close?

If you have strength along the line, offensive speed and LB speed, you will win this comfortably. They are a very young team, with soph and frosh at many spots. They are already 2-1 (win vs. Cornell, Duquesne, loss vs. Lafayette). Judging from the Pards game, their pass protection is poor, especially along the sidelines. Our QB had alot of time to throw. Triple option is very risky and defensive speed might cause some forced mix-ups.

Mr. C
September 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Bucknell runs the old Georgia Southern spread option, just like Rhode Island, Nicholls State and Central Connecticut State. Talking to Jim Reid (who was one of the Bison assistants in 2005), Bucknell has more talent than last year, but is still very young. But they managed to get some confidence with their win last week. Richmond should be able to handle this game without too much trouble.

carney2
September 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM

In my opinion you should expect to win by a comfortable margin and they do not travel well. They currently consider themselves a basketball school. This too shall pass.

colgate13
September 19th, 2006, 07:39 AM
If Richmond loses I would be shocked.

AppGuy04
September 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM
You should expect a similar result to last week

Pard94
September 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Well, we killed Bucknell to the tune of 31-0. That might not be the best gauge for you though given our dominance over Richmond as well :smiley_wi . Seriously, you guys should roll...no disprespect intended to Bucknell.

Pard4Life
September 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Keep an eye out for Rashod Bumpers.. the rookie has skill...

ngineer
September 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM
The only way Richmond loses is with 5+ turnovers in key field positions. Bucknell, over the past years, as tried to be aggressive defensively, but have gotten burned alot in doing so. If UR pressures the option into mistakes, it could be a rout, but I would be surprised if you don't win by at least 3 TD's. (of course, I expected us to beat Princeton by 17)...

Bucknell usually brings a good contingent to Goodman because they have a fairly active alumni club in the Lehigh Valley.(Largest non-Lafayette crowd was against the Bison in late 1990's--16,000+). If there is a core of BU alums in your area, I would expect them to show--but would be surprised if more than 750 show in the visitors stands.

carney2
September 19th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Not that you have any control over what the Richmond coaches do, but Lafayette changed from their traditional 4-3 defensive set to a 3-4 to get quicker people pursuing those options to the corner. All concerned feel that this switch was the primary reason for the shutout.

Pard4Life
September 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Not that you have any control over what the Richmond coaches do, but Lafayette changed from their traditional 4-3 defensive set to a 3-4 to get quicker people pursuing those options to the corner. All concerned feel that this switch was the primary reason for the shutout.

That was a very smart move. :nod: Maybe that would have worked with Sandberg and Penn..

carney2
September 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
That was a very smart move. :nod: Maybe that would have worked with Sandberg and Penn..

Maybe, but

1. the Penn offensive front really controlled the Lafayette front 7;

and

2. Joe Sandberg, the Penn tailback, is a very good back with enough experience to create holes by cutting back against the pursuit.

Frankly, I think we needed to play a 6-5-6.

Oops, I think that we're hijacking another thread.

DTSpider
September 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm liking what I'm hearing. It sounds like Richmond should match up well with Bucknell. I'm hoping that another week of the triple option will help us when we play URI. Although I imagine URI will run it better than Bucknell & VMI it doesn't hurt to get some practice against the unusual offense.