PDA

View Full Version : Potential FCS vs FBS upsets

knucklehead
August 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
Had to share this excellent breakdown from Chris Lang - the Liberty Beat Writer for the Lynchburg News and Advance. He keeps up with the FCS as a whole better than most and gives a look at these matchups for the entire '13 season.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/article_1baefd0c-0c0e-11e3-8691-001a4bcf6878.html

We’re less than a week away from the kickoff of the Division I football season, a perfect time to explore a topic near and dear to the hearts of anyone who covers or watches Championship Subdivision football: Which FCS teams have the best chance to spring upsets against FBS competition?

ysubigred
August 23rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Had to share this excellent breakdown from Chris Lang - the Liberty Beat Writer for the Lynchburg News and Advance. He keeps up with the FCS as a whole better than most and gives a look at these matchups for the entire '13 season.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/article_1baefd0c-0c0e-11e3-8691-001a4bcf6878.html

Awesome write up xbowx Kudo's to your sports writer xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM

I hardly think NDSU/KSU is a "best bet" for an upset. It will be one of the best games of the year and certainly the best of the week, all deference to ASU/UM of course but this will be the best team in FCS going against a slightly weaker NC contender from last year.

I am going in with hope, not confidence. I know NDSU will leave a mark but win? I'd bet on one of the bottom 5 FBS to go down before a BCS team.

knucklehead
August 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
I hardly think NDSU/KSU is a "best bet" for an upset. It will be one of the best games of the year and certainly the best of the week, all deference to ASU/UM of course but this will be the best team in FCS going against a slightly weaker NC contender from last year.

I am going in with hope, not confidence. I know NDSU will leave a mark but win? I'd bet on one of the bottom 5 FBS to go down before a BCS team.

So, which game listed would be your "Best Bet" for wk1? I think NDSU has a solid shot.

knucklehead
August 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Awesome write up xbowx Kudo's to your sports writer xthumbsupx

I've said for years that he's one of the best there is. I feel confident that he's one of the most knowledgeable fcs writers. He left the LU beat last year to cover VaTech for 1 year only to fortunately come back when paper mergers caused a Roanoke writer to be assigned to the Hokies. We are very glad he's back, even though the guy from last year did a great job.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2013, 11:56 AM
So, which game listed would be your "Best Bet" for wk1? I think NDSU has a solid shot.

I'd say ISUr vs. Ball State. Ball State is improving but still a pretty squishy MAC team. Definitely more beatable than KSU.

knucklehead
August 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
I'd say ISUr vs. Ball State. Ball State is improving but still a pretty squishy MAC team. Definitely more beatable than KSU.

Yea, that's the other one I think could happen (Besides LU over Kent). Unless Ball St's D has drastically improved in the last few years.

gumby013
August 23rd, 2013, 12:02 PM

Samford over Georgia State

Lock!

eaglewraith
August 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM

Lock!

And UTC over Georgia State.

WrenFGun
August 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Villanova as the CAA Favorites against BC would be my bet.

That said, BC's QB is good enough to win that game on his own.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
And UTC over Georgia State.

but but but....what about Trent Miles? He has to be better than Bill Curry.

bjtheflamesfan
August 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
I've said for years that he's one of the best there is. I feel confident that he's one of the most knowledgeable fcs writers. He left the LU beat last year to cover VaTech for 1 year only to fortunately come back when paper mergers caused a Roanoke writer to be assigned to the Hokies. We are very glad he's back, even though the guy from last year did a great job.

If there was an All-American team for beat writers, Lang would be right there among the top ones to be sure IMO...oh yeah and his beard is epic too

eaglewraith
August 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
but but but....what about Trent Miles? He has to be better than Bill Curry.

No doubt I believe he is. However, Miles doesn't have a big enough of a fire extinguisher to put out the dumpster fire this season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Adazio's Temple teams outscored Villanova 83-17 in two games. BC wins rather easy.

Bogus Megapardus
August 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Completely fail to mention Colgate vs. Air Force? No respect, I tell you, no respect . . . xcoolx

Anovafan
August 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
I know you dislike Nova immensely, but those were two of the worst teams Nova has sent out against a BCS team since reviving football in 1984.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
I know you dislike Nova immensely, but those were two of the worst teams Nova has sent out against a BCS team since reviving football in 1984.

Villanova still won the CAA last year. I think it's fair to say you've fielded far worse.

IaaScribe
August 23rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Completely fail to mention Colgate vs. Air Force? No respect, I tell you, no respect . . . xcoolx

Oversight. Has been added. I knew I'd miss one or two.

dgtw
August 23rd, 2013, 01:03 PM
While any FCS win over a an FBS school is newsworthy, some of thse picks really stretch the definition of "upset". Not exactly Appy over Michigan.

Anovafan
August 23rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Villanova still won the CAA last year. I think it's fair to say you've fielded far worse.

Not from what I have seen in the past 29 years, and I have seen all of them. Nova wasn't even competitive with Temple the last two years, it was pretty embarrassing.

I say Nova has a 50/50 shot of winning against BC. The QB is good, and they are big, but the talent margin isn't that great in favor of BC.

Gil Dobie
August 23rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Montana has a chance against App St

knucklehead
August 23rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Montana has a chance against App St

xlolx WELL PLAYED! xbowx

ysubigred
August 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Not sounding like a homer here. BUT! I think YSU has a decent shot at Sparty..

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
As for opening week...

I think there's two AAC teams that are in for headaches, UConn (Towson) and USF (McNeese St). A third, Tulane vs Jackson St., could be interesting.

I honestly don't see BC, KSU, Kent State, Iowa St. etc. being pushed too hard.

Fear the Bird
August 23rd, 2013, 02:05 PM
Not sounding like a homer here. BUT! I think YSU has a decent shot at Sparty..

You sound like a complete homer on that one! Now don't get me wrong, it wouldn't shock me to see YSU pull it off but I woudl say there shot is far less than "decent"

Gil Dobie
August 23rd, 2013, 02:07 PM

We will be able to tell how great NDSU is if they can pull the upset. K-State has 2 starters returning on defense and lost a Heisman finalist QB. If NDSU can grind the ball out and keep the NDSU defense fresh, they have a great chance. The big advantage K-State has is their coach. Hopefully it's a good game.

ysubigred
August 23rd, 2013, 02:07 PM
You sound like a complete homer on that one! Now don't get me wrong, it wouldn't shock me to see YSU pull it off but I woudl say there shot is far less than "decent"

31 point underdog at PITT last year LOL!! Sparty is all new from coaches to players just sayin xcoffeex

Winindy
August 23rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
I'm just hoping for a good showing for NDSU. They won't be a cake walk and their D should be able to hold it's own, but KSU is returning their O-line. The Bison will have a much harder time controlling the trenches when on D. This will probably be even more true without Leevon Perry.

On offense, it depends on which Brock Jensen shows up. Is it the efficient passer from 2011, or is it the average kid who played in the first half of last season (he was pretty darn good after the loss)? A healthy Crockett and Ojuri should test KSU, but Jensen's efficiency is going to be the key to this game.

My best bet would have been Illinois State and Ball State. Does ball state return one linebacker off of a poor defense last year? The secondary proved last year that it couldn't do much in coverage. About the only good thing they have going for them is the line on D. If they don't control the gaps and get some kind of push to help out that D-Backfield, ISU has more than a legit shot at taking home the win.

knucklehead
August 23rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
My best bet would have been Illinois State and Ball State. Does ball state return one linebacker off of a poor defense last year? The secondary proved last year that it couldn't do much in coverage. About the only good thing they have going for them is the line on D. If they don't control the gaps and get some kind of push to help out that D-Backfield, ISU has more than a legit shot at taking home the win.

Yea, it was a few years back when Liberty beat Ball St, but the Defense was pretty bad then too. There are several on this list that could reasonably happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2013, 03:41 PM
You know what game I keep looking at? McNeese State @ USF.

IBleedYellow
August 23rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
I just want to have a good time and be able to see our team not hang their head down in Kansas. It just needs to be a good time.

Nickels
August 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Not a bad one to look at all. They knocked off an FBS last year and should be tough this year.

I wish we could get FBS games like that instead of SEC games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
I'm just hoping for a good showing for NDSU. They won't be a cake walk and their D should be able to hold it's own, but KSU is returning their O-line. The Bison will have a much harder time controlling the trenches when on D. This will probably be even more true without Leevon Perry.

On offense, it depends on which Brock Jensen shows up. Is it the efficient passer from 2011, or is it the average kid who played in the first half of last season (he was pretty darn good after the loss)? A healthy Crockett and Ojuri should test KSU, but Jensen's efficiency is going to be the key to this game.

Pretty good NDSU analysis.

IMO, the Bison offense needs to stay on the field and grind out a win. Keep KSU's offense on the sidelines and let the Bison O-line open holes on the new K State defense.

skinny_uncle
August 24th, 2013, 02:45 AM
I think the Salukis have a decent shot against the Illini.

coover
August 24th, 2013, 04:38 AM
If you don't think Cal Poly has a shot at beating Colorado State, you're not thinking. And I'd bet that the Fresno State game won't get out of hand. Good defense and a better than average offense might just might win that one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2013, 06:47 AM
If you don't think Cal Poly has a shot at beating Colorado State, you're not thinking. And I'd bet that the Fresno State game won't get out of hand. Good defense and a better than average offense might just might win that one.

IMO, Cal Poly wins that game. CSU has a long way to go.

Houndawg
August 24th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I think the Salukis have a decent shot against the Illini.

If we don't get blown out it will mean that our o line has improved exponentially.

HailSzczur
August 24th, 2013, 09:11 AM

FCS rookie of the year didn't take a snap until the 2nd half. The 2010 team was the worst I've seen in my lifetime, that's for sure

IaaScribe
August 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
My only hesitation with the Cal Poly-Colorado State game was that it's the second straight game for the Mustangs against an FBS, which is where you might see some of the effects of having fewer scholarships show. Illinois State-Ball State is a good bet. I have a lot of respect for Pete Lembo and that staff, though.

World
August 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM

fully agree

World
August 24th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Ball State has those new, smallish LB's that are going to have their hands full with Illinois State's JUCO transfer RB that is 6'3" 260 lbs and fast, led by a FB that is 6'2" 240 lbs.

McNeese75
August 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM

We will find out a lot about the 2013 Cowboys in this game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2013, 12:26 PM
We will find out a lot about the 2013 Cowboys in this game.

I think McNeese St. has a good chance to make it at least interesting. USF was not a good team last year. The Bulls have generally been rudderless the last few years. The Skip Holtz hire never worked out. Not quite sure why...

bjtheflamesfan
August 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Ball State has those new, smallish LB's that are going to have their hands full with Illinois State's JUCO transfer RB that is 6'3" 260 lbs and fast, led by a FB that is 6'2" 240 lbs.
I wouldnt chalk up the run game as an automatic win for ISUr quite yet...just because he is big doesnt mean he is going to somehow dominate at the point of attack

World
August 24th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I wouldnt chalk up the run game as an automatic win for ISUr quite yet...just because he is big doesnt mean he is going to somehow dominate at the point of attack

he has been dominating at the point of attack so far

this is not going to be a fun game for the Ball State linebackers

bjtheflamesfan
August 24th, 2013, 05:37 PM
There is a difference between juco and ncaa games...not to mention all he has is practice against his teammates which is a different breed than lining up in an actual live game

McNeese75
August 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I think McNeese St. has a good chance to make it at least interesting. USF was not a good team last year. The Bulls have generally been rudderless the last few years. The Skip Holtz hire never worked out. Not quite sure why...

Hopefully it will be "interesting". There are still a few questions on how the team will jell. If things work out and injuries are avoided it might be a surprising year.

ASU33
August 24th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Cal-Poly over Colorado State
Jackson State over Tulane
Chattanooga over Georgia State

CID1990
August 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Games against Ga State are technically FCS vs FBS, but not really. Should be an asterisk beside those games. I'd say Sammy and Chatty are actually favored to win.

gumby013
August 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Games against Ga State are technically FCS vs FBS, but not really. Should be an asterisk beside those games. I'd say Sammy and Chatty are actually favored to win.

I'm seeing Samford as -21.5 vs GSU right now. Gotta be one of the largest spreads of an FCS over FBS.

lknspider
August 24th, 2013, 09:05 PM

Pardon us but the Richmond Spiders were CAA Co-Champs and defeated Villanova in Philadelphia last year.

MTfan4life
August 24th, 2013, 09:28 PM

Princeton, 'Stanford', Lehigh, and now Illinois State. That's quite a wide geographical base of "Fan"hood. What's next, Jacksonville State?

bjtheflamesfan
August 30th, 2013, 02:21 AM

8 carries for 10 yards and 74 total rushing yards as a team...that isn't exactly dominating the point of attack...

clenz
August 30th, 2013, 07:14 AM
8 carries for 10 yards and 74 total rushing yards as a team...that isn't exactly dominating the point of attack...

The only posts world has ever made here have been to talk about how he is better than Payton, Barry Sanders, etc...while being built like Bettis.

Sounds like d1 isn't as easy as JUCO

quando omni flunkus moritati

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM
congrats to Towson on the victory over UConn and a pat on the back to anyone that had the balls to pick it...

Bisonator
August 30th, 2013, 08:04 AM
congrats to Towson on the victory over UConn and a pat on the back to anyone that had the balls to pick it...

Thank you! xbowx

URMite
August 30th, 2013, 11:55 AM

I'm confused are you saying last year's Nova team in week one was one of the two worst or last season's Nova team was one of the two worst Nova teams. I have a difficult time believing the latter.

bojeta
August 30th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Thank you! xbowx

Thank you from me as well!xbowx