PDA

View Full Version : FAMU nearly gets $1 million to travel to Ohio State

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=9591282

Through a request from The Associated Press, Ohio State's athletic department released figures that show it is paying Buffalo $1 million to be the opposition in the Aug. 31 opener, San Diego State $1.2 million to play in the game on Sept. 7 and FAMU, a Football Championship Subdivision opponent, $900,000 to come to Columbus for the game on Sept. 21.

Talk about a punch to the gut in regards to the "increased revenues" of guarantee games as an FBS team vs. an FCS team. Difference between Buffalo and FAMU: $100,000!

Bogus Megapardus
August 23rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
FAMU marching band makes it totally worth it.

kdinva
August 23rd, 2013, 11:38 AM

I thought their band was "Benched" for 2013......... xchinscratchx

darell1976
August 23rd, 2013, 11:44 AM
I thought their band was "Benched" for 2013......... xchinscratchx

Suspension is over.

http://www.kmov.com/news/mobile/FAMU-band-will-return-to-field-Sept-1--220709321.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida A&M University's Marching 100 will return to the field Sept. 1 in Orlando, nearly two years after it was suspended because of a hazing-related death.

New band director Sylvester Young made the announcement Thursday as the band practiced.

FAMU lifted the famed band's suspension in June, but Young was unsure at the time when it would be ready to perform again. He now says it will play at halftime when the university opens its football season against Mississippi Valley State during the MEAC-SWAC Challenge.

The band was suspended in November 2011 following the death of drum major Robert Champion.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Meh. OSU has that in the couch cushions.

ysubigred
August 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM

When FAMU came to Y-town for a playoff game they brought their band... Totally awesome xbowx We had a double treat that year NC A&T also did us the favor xthumbsupx

Cocky
August 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Those teams combined with a Big Ten schedule should make for an easy season.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Those teams combined with a Big Ten schedule should make for an easy season.

No way they would set themselves up for anything other than another successful run. They renamed a street 12-0 row last year because that's all they could get.

wheatstraw78
August 23rd, 2013, 12:05 PM

FAMU band not making the trip to Columbus.

MplsBison
August 23rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
Then again, Louisiana-Monroe spent less on football last season (a bowl game season) than Appalachian State did.

Since we're basing our arguments on the exceptions, rather than rules -- right LFN?

BluBengal07
August 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
FAMU band not making the trip to Columbus.

not surprised.
at least they only need like 2 buses than 9 buses to get around now. there band is a concert band size now, but still sounds like FAMU.

that's some money going to FAMU though.

Sandlapper Spike
August 23rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
That's a very good deal for FAMU. Has any FCS school ever received a bigger payout than that?

MplsBison
August 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
I know Montana got $400k and $600k in two years when they had a million dollar shortfall. I believe they played (and lost to) Oregon and Tennessee.

Then no FBS since?

MplsBison
August 23rd, 2013, 12:33 PM
I would love to see the numbers on payouts to FBS teams and FCS teams the past five years from "Big 5" conference teams.

Bet money they look something like this:

To FBS: 1 Million+
To FCS: ~$350k

Sandlapper Spike
August 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Most of those FBS games aren't going to hit $1 million, although I suppose with inflation they may start doing so (if Buffalo is any indication). Schools like Navy and San Diego State are going to get more money than the MAC/Sun Belt schools, as a rule.

The FCS games are going to be anywhere from $200K to $600K. I think App State is getting $450K this year to play Georgia.

MplsBison
August 23rd, 2013, 01:05 PM
Most of those FBS games aren't going to hit $1 million, although I suppose with inflation they may start doing so (if Buffalo is any indication). Schools like Navy and San Diego State are going to get more money than the MAC/Sun Belt schools, as a rule.

The FCS games are going to be anywhere from $200K to $600K. I think App State is getting $450K this year to play Georgia.

Why are you so sure MAC teams haven't been getting $1M from Big Five conference schools? I was under the impression that was normal at the FBS level.

Although, the MAC has (or had) a deal with the B1G for 2-for-1's.

BluBengal07
August 23rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
now i'm wonder if the big check was for the exception of the Marching 100 coming in full force...

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=9591282

Through a request from The Associated Press, Ohio State's athletic department released figures that show it is paying Buffalo $1 million to be the opposition in the Aug. 31 opener, San Diego State $1.2 million to play in the game on Sept. 7 and FAMU, a Football Championship Subdivision opponent, $900,000 to come to Columbus for the game on Sept. 21.

Talk about a punch to the gut in regards to the "increased revenues" of guarantee games as an FBS team vs. an FCS team. Difference between Buffalo and FAMU: $100,000!

I would love to see the numbers on payouts to FBS teams and FCS teams the past five years from "Big 5" conference teams.

Bet money they look something like this:

To FBS: 1 Million+
To FCS: ~$350k

I'll take you up on that bet.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

More seriously, though, who cares? Who are you going to believe, your own made-up numbers, or the AP's own FOIA request from The Ohio State University?

MplsBison
August 26th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I'll take you up on that bet.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

More seriously, though, who cares? Who are you going to believe, your own made-up numbers, or the AP's own FOIA request from The Ohio State University?

Easy tiger, I wasn't doubting the legitimacy of this $900k payout.

I was asking for the average over the last five years. We certainly should use the most accurate numbers available.

WM2001
August 26th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Great for FAMU. Cha-ching and a televised game, no doubt.

pike51
August 26th, 2013, 02:14 PM
now i'm wonder if the big check was for the exception of the Marching 100 coming in full force...

FAMU is pretty up front that the band gets it's own paychecks. Every time Georgia Southern played them in the playoffs, the band didn't come because GSU wouldn't pay for them. The FAMU band is not a football support unit.

BluBengal07
August 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM
FAMU is pretty up front that the band gets it's own paychecks. Every time Georgia Southern played them in the playoffs, the band didn't come because GSU wouldn't pay for them. The FAMU band is not a football support unit.

but times are much different with the band now. i can see a 400+ piece band wanting their own paycheck. but a 100+ piece?

SpiritCymbal
August 26th, 2013, 03:09 PM
When FAMU came to Y-town for a playoff game they brought their band... Totally awesome xbowx We had a double treat that year NC A&T also did us the favor xthumbsupx

Posts like this makes the musician in me cry very much.

BluBengal07
August 26th, 2013, 04:34 PM

what does that mean?

Big Dawg
August 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Yeah I'm curious as to what that's supposed to mean as well...

Because just because MEAC/SWAC band put an emphasis on entertaining the crowd on Saturdays, doesn't mean there aren't some serious musicians in these bands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8-WQniVCw

BluBengal07
August 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM
As a musician and a fan of ranges of marching and concert/symphonic band styles, posts like that make me cry very VERY much. You need to introduce yourself to better programs with that kind of knowledge I guess, so here you go;

a FEW of the marches JSU played regularly
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/11-JSU-Rolling-Thunder.mp3
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/01-JSU-King-Cotton.mp3
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/07-JSU-Sunshine-and-Storm.mp3

patriotic pieces of greatness
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/16-JSU-Stars-Stripes-Forever.mp3
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/17-JSU-America-the-Beautiful.mp3
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/19-JSU-Star-Spangle-Banner.mp3

music from the stands and field
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/25-Track-251.mp3
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/03-Track-3.mp3
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/18-Track-18.mp3
http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/wp-content/uploads/06-JSU-Coming-to-America.mp3

All of these are not off flip folders sitting on your horn, but memory. These are from a game or event. i hope you find to listen to these and more at http://sonicboomofthesouth.com/gallery/music/. Thank you for your support to world of music.

SpiritCymbal
August 26th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Loud does not equal good. That's all these bands are. No musical principles observed. Certainly not intonation. Grew up watching all of them and I cringe every time.

Loud "blats" out of a horn is not musical.

Big Dawg
August 26th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Loud does not equal good. That's all these bands are. No musical principles observed. Certainly not intonation. Grew up watching all of them and I cringe every time.

I gotta call BS on that...I guarantee you've probably never heard the Marching 100(and I just posted a clip for you that clearly shows them playing a march that isn't "loud" and "blats"...and I can almost guarantee that you didn't click on it)
Here's another one for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_A_LVbhjg

BTW...every MEAC and SWAC band doesn't play the same way or focus on being loud

But getting back to FOOTBALL...

SpiritCymbal
August 27th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I gotta call BS on that...I guarantee you've probably never heard the Marching 100(and I just posted a clip for you that clearly shows them playing a march that isn't "loud" and "blats"...and I can almost guarantee that you didn't click on it)
Here's another one for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_A_LVbhjg

BTW...every MEAC and SWAC band doesn't play the same way or focus on being loud

But getting back to FOOTBALL...

Seen them several times. GSC and FAMU use to play every year in the mid-late 80's and into the early 90's in Jacksonville.

I will agree that not all the bands are the same. There's a big difference between FAMU and SC St/Sav St/Bethune-Cookman. I've unfortunately seen them all...and Southern and Grambling.

Big Dawg
August 27th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Seen them several times. GSC and FAMU use to play every year in the mid-late 80's and into the early 90's in Jacksonville.

I will agree that not all the bands are the same. There's a big difference between FAMU and SC St/Sav St/Bethune-Cookman. I've unfortunately seen them all...and Southern and Grambling.

And each one of those bands sound different from one another...FAMU is finesse, BCU is like well oiled machine, and Southern plays with pure aggression and power

But let's not forgot we're at football games(the point of which is to entertain)...not symphonic recitals...and each of those bands have great symphonic/concert bands that perform away from the football field. I'm slightly offended that you don't think these bands have great musicians

BluBengal07
August 27th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Loud? really? you must not listened to all of the mp3's posted.
now, many of HBCU band uses the loud concept as a meter to determine quality, which is wrong and depressing. i give you that. the community has also notice the alarming trend developing more and more. as part of the SWAC conference, it can be quite disturbing from some programs. but it also has to be understood that there is a difference from loud and powerful. something that is discussed and pointed out greatly in these band communities. the now more than likely, you did not grew up watching all of them because you will notice there is a range of difference between bands.
i did not grow up watching HBCU bands like you and was more focus on corps style programs through high school. also a big DCI fan and attended(still attend)/volunteered different championships. When i did, became more aware of HBCU band, i was very particular on which program becomes i wanted to be in a program that was well established and diverse in its product of music type and styles. that's one of the reasons i chose the great Jackson State University.

The Moody1
August 27th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Since App will be FBS when they go to Michigan next year the pay out will jump from 750k to 1 million.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Never heard FAMU's band, but I did happen to catch BCU's band down in Daytona once and was very, very impressed. Something about Municipal stadium (I think that's what it's called) does something to the sound, too, making it very sweet to hear.

I've seen some MEAC bands and they're all really good, but BCU's really stood out to me.

SpiritCymbal
August 27th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I'm slightly offended that you don't think these bands have great musicians

Never said that. I know a couple of well trained musicians from FAMU that have turned music education into their profession (and one even musical performance as her profession). And after their time there, their teaching principles do not reflect the same kind as their experiences. It doesn't mean they don't value their time, education and experiences involved with the program...but they recognize that musically there was so much more they could have achieved. They, in-turn, have chosen to include more techniques and principles of music education they learned elsewhere than they did during their time there b/c they believe it to be a better way to educate future musicians.

Certainly this isn't a blanket statement and does not apply to everyone.

SpiritCymbal
August 27th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Loud? really? you must not listened to all of the mp3's posted.
now, many of HBCU band uses the loud concept as a meter to determine quality, which is wrong and depressing. i give you that. the community has also notice the alarming trend developing more and more. as part of the SWAC conference, it can be quite disturbing from some programs. but it also has to be understood that there is a difference from loud and powerful. something that is discussed and pointed out greatly in these band communities. the now more than likely, you did not grew up watching all of them because you will notice there is a range of difference between bands.
i did not grow up watching HBCU bands like you and was more focus on corps style programs through high school. also a big DCI fan and attended(still attend)/volunteered different championships. When i did, became more aware of HBCU band, i was very particular on which program becomes i wanted to be in a program that was well established and diverse in its product of music type and styles. that's one of the reasons i chose the great Jackson State University.

Unfortunately, for a short time I had a music teacher that constantly subjected us to these bands, trying to teach us that this was the way marching bands should be. Didn't last long and she hasn't been an employed music educator for almost 2 decades. Getting into my music education major I realized just how terrible those music principles that she was trying to teach us were for the education of a music professional (education and performance). I grew up a DCI fan (as obvious by my username) but also realize that it's not the best for general entertainment purposes either. It caters to the "music snob" in me, but doesn't reach the average person.

BluBengal07
August 27th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately, for a short time I had a music teacher that constantly subjected us to these bands, trying to teach us that this was the way marching bands should be. Didn't last long and she hasn't been an employed music educator for almost 2 decades. Getting into my music education major I realized just how terrible those music principles that she was trying to teach us were for the education of a music professional (education and performance). I grew up a DCI fan (as obvious by my username) but also realize that it's not the best for general entertainment purposes either. It caters to the "music snob" in me, but doesn't reach the average person.

it could be possible to learn to hate something when it forced feed to a person. she was in the wrong as an educator. did/do you march for Spirit? we'll, never was a fan of their product though. enjoyed programs like Blue Devil, Crossmen, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts and Santa Claira Vanguard. HA, my high school uniforms were based off the Madison Scouts my first two years and before my time. (just different colors) The head band director use to marched for them during his time. yea, DCI is a special kind of medicine that not everyone can take in and enjoy. JUST LIKE HBCU BANDS! lol

but hey, you're not a fan of HBCU bands. cool, do you. but with the fact of bashing the whole thing like you did is not. if someone came through bashing marching corps because they do not march woodwinds(I'm a trumpet player) and most of the programs are mostly dudes prancing around, you would jump fast to defend the name, and so would i because we are more aware of that brand.

SpiritCymbal
August 27th, 2013, 03:54 PM
it could be possible to learn to hate something when it forced feed to a person. she was in the wrong as an educator. did/do you march for Spirit? we'll, never was a fan of their product though. enjoyed programs like Blue Devil, Crossmen, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts and Santa Claira Vanguard. HA, my high school uniforms were based off the Madison Scouts my first two years and before my time. (just different colors) The head band director use to marched for them during his time. yea, DCI is a special kind of medicine that not everyone can take in and enjoy. JUST LIKE HBCU BANDS! lol

but hey, you're not a fan of HBCU bands. cool, do you. but with the fact of bashing the whole thing like you did is not. if someone came through bashing marching corps because they do not march woodwinds(I'm a trumpet player) and most of the programs are mostly dudes prancing around, you would jump fast to defend the name, and so would i because we are more aware of that brand.
Wouldn't both me in the least. Saying that corps style bands aren't musical would get the debate going b/c they are in fact very (overly) musical. I still maintain that most if not all HBCU's are not very musical. Entertaining to the general fan no doubt...but so is Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. None are known for their musicality.

I did march Spirit back in the late 90's and Crossmen for a year. BD, Phantom Regiment and SCV were always my favorites. Cadets were up their till George's big head couldn't get out of the way.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Strangest most unexpected thread hijack ever.

PAllen
August 27th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Strangest most unexpected thread hijack ever.

Well, we could start talking about Patriot League Bands, but that would be hard to do with a straight face when talking about FAMU.

BluBengal07
August 27th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't both me in the least. Saying that corps style bands aren't musical would get the debate going b/c they are in fact very (overly) musical. I still maintain that most if not all HBCU's are not very musical. Entertaining to the general fan no doubt...but so is Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. None are known for their musicality.

I did march Spirit back in the late 90's and Crossmen for a year. BD, Phantom Regiment and SCV were always my favorites. Cadets were up their till George's big head couldn't get out of the way.

Forgot about the Cadet. there was a show that they did in the 90s that stood out to me, but i just do not remember.

tomato, tomato.
proof has been provided. detailed statements has been provided. at this point, i'll read your position has shift from all to most. that's progress. BUT it was fun talking about bands in here.

ASU33
August 28th, 2013, 07:04 AM
OMG where did this thread go? Somebody heard that people enjoy FAMUs band and got all butthurt.

Panther88
August 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM

That's your personal opinion there Cymbal. No offense taken. But also note that the bands are @ the games to entertain, not put someone to sleep w the melodious low-tones and non-range, etc. It's supposed to be a party in the stands, correct? I think the Penn Sts, LSUs, and other "copy-catters" have finally joined the new millennia and realized this.