View Full Version : Street & Smith's and Lindy's I-AA All-Americans

Josh
June 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM
What do you think?

By Matt McKenzie
Offense
QB Martin Hankins, SELU, Jr.
RB Clifton Dawkins, Harvard, Jr.
RB Travis Glasford, Western Illinois, Sr.
OL Matt Magerko, James Madison, Sr.
OL Jeff Bolton, Montana State, Sr.
OL Chad Motte, Georgia Southern, Sr.
OL Stafford Davis, Illinois State, Sr.
C Antonio Narcisse, Portland State, Sr.
WR Eric Kimble, Eastern Washington, Sr.
WR David Ball, New Hampshire, Jr.
TE Daniel Fells, UC Davis, Sr.
K Jon Scifres, SMS, Sr.
RS Marquay McDaniel, Hampton, Sr.

Defense
DE Sean Conover, Bucknell, Sr.
DT Tom Parks, Delaware, Sr.
DE Brady Fosmark, Weber State, Sr.
DE Chris Gocong, Cal Poly, Sr.
LB William Freeman, Furman, Sr.
LB Gian Villante, Hofstra, Jr.
LB Justin Durant, Hampton, Jr.
DB Shannon James, UMass, Sr.
DB Ken Chicoine, Cal Poly, Jr.
DB Reed Doughty, Northern Colorado, Sr.
DB A.J. Bryant, Georgia Southern, Sr.
P David Simonhoff, Southeast Missouri State, Jr.

Top Players
Offense QB Martin Hankins, SELU, Jr.
Defense DE Chris Gocong, Cal Poly, Sr.
Newcomer RB Pierre Rembert, Illinois State

Lindy's All-American Team
By Otto Fad

Offense
QB Erik Meyer, Eastern Washington, Sr.
RB Clifton Dawkins, Harvard, Jr.
RB Jermaine Austin, Georgia Southern, Sr.
WR Eric Kimble, Eastern Washington, Sr.
WR David Ball, New Hampshire, Jr.
TE Daniel Fells, UC Davis, Sr.
OL Kevin Hodapp, Wofford, Sr.
OL Rocky Hanni, Eastern Washington, Soph.
OL Chad Motte, Georgia Southern, Sr.
OL Stafford Davis, Illinois State, Sr.
OL Erik Losey, Western Kentucky, Sr.
AP Travis Glasford, Western Illinois, Sr.
K Dan Carpenter, Montana, Soph.

Defense
DL Mike Murphy, Montana, Jr.
DL Tom Parks, Delaware, Sr.
DL Brady Fosmark, Weber State, Sr.
DL Chris Gocong, Cal Poly, Sr.
LB William Freeman, Furman, Sr.
LB Gian Villante, Hofstra, Jr.
LB Brian Hulea, Villanova, Sr.
DB Shannon James, UMass, Sr.
DB David Pittman, Northwestern State, Sr.
DB Reed Doughty, Northern Colorado, Sr.
DB Kaloma Kardwell, Lehigh, Sr.
P David Simonhoff, Southeast Missouri State, Jr.
RS Cletis Gordon, Jackson State, Sr.

MVP: QB Bruce Eugene, Grambling State, Sr.
Offense: QB Martin Hankins, SELU, Jr.
Defense: CB Cletis Gordon, Jackson State, Sr.
Newcomer: QB Justin Midgett, Eastern Illinois

bobcatfan06
June 9th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Well first off, how is Hankins still on the First Team? He quit the SeLU football team weeks ago. Street and Smith needs to do some research before naming All-Americans.

Oh and maybe I'm biased but P Cory Elof for Texas State deserves some kind of honorable mention or something. The man is a monster. I still remember his 86 yard BOMB 2 years ago against McNeese.

Josh
June 9th, 2005, 11:20 PM
S&S went to print before Hankins quit. Lindy's made the same mistake.

I-AA.org will not have this mistake because we have the luxury of going to print a little bit later.

umassfan
June 9th, 2005, 11:33 PM
How are the offense and defense players of the year not on the first team?

Josh
June 9th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Well first off, how is Hankins still on the First Team? He quit the SeLU football team weeks ago. Street and Smith needs to do some research before naming All-Americans.

Oh and maybe I'm biased but P Cory Elof for Texas State deserves some kind of honorable mention or something. The man is a monster. I still remember his 86 yard BOMB 2 years ago against McNeese.

They didnt name HM so that is why he is not on there but if they did your right on him deserving to be listed.

kats89
June 10th, 2005, 01:06 AM
I think people need to take a hard look at TE Cory Roberts and LB Marcus Mikulec. I really feel Mikulec could be one of the top LB's in the country this year.

Josh
June 10th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I think people need to take a hard look at TE Cory Roberts and LB Marcus Mikulec. I really feel Mikulec could be one of the top LB's in the country this year.

I am guessing Mikulec should be 2nd team all-america in your opinion? I would not say 1st yet but 2nd or 3rd for sure.

I think Roberts is the best TE in the country.

I think it is close though but his speed and size are impressive and make him the best on my board.

FL connection
June 10th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Lindy's offensive Newcomer (Midgett) out of school at EIU........connection out!

SoCon48
June 10th, 2005, 06:38 AM
They must figure that App State's QB Richie Williams will be less effective this year without WR Fowlkes. Richie broke some national records in passing last year.
Of course, there is no listing shown for 2nd or honorable mention.

kats89
June 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM
I am guessing Mikulec should be 2nd team all-america in your opinion? I would not say 1st yet but 2nd or 3rd for sure.

I think Roberts is the best TE in the country.

I think it is close though but his speed and size are impressive and make him the best on my board.

I would put Mikulec at no higher than second team right now. But, this kid has the size and speed to do some damage this year. Looked VERY good at the spring game. Roberts had a good spring as well.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Why is SHSU's Lance Garner not the All-American pick at PK?

He was an All-American in the mind of Sports Network, Don Hansen and Dopke.com

He was a junior last year. Will be better this year, though he may not get as many XP opps.

SoCon48
June 10th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Could be because Sifries was 4th in FG last year compared to Garner's 17th.
Alos Montana's Carpenter was virtully tied with Garner and was only a soph.

VictorG
June 10th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Montana's Carpenter was a true Freshman last year. Will be a soph this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Glad that DT Sean Conover made the S&S list from Bucknell. I also think very highly of him as well. He could be the best athlete in the Patriot.

GeauxLions94
June 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
S&S went to print before Hankins quit. Lindy's made the same mistake.

I-AA.org will not have this mistake because we have the luxury of going to print a little bit later.

Thanks. At least we still have WR Felton Huggins :D

txstman
June 10th, 2005, 09:47 AM
There are a couple of Bobcats who might be marking a end of the year list. Call it the Bobcat watch list...

DL Fred Evans
LB Nate Langford
LB David Simmons
P Cory Elof
QB Barrick Nealy
WR Markee White
RB Daniel Jolly

Of course this might be a bit biased, but those named in the lists have a definate northern bias in my book to them.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2005, 10:24 AM
There are a couple of Bobcats who might be marking a end of the year list. Call it the Bobcat watch list...

DL Fred Evans
LB Nate Langford
LB David Simmons
P Cory Elof
QB Barrick Nealy
WR Markee White
RB Daniel Jolly

Of course this might be a bit biased, but those named in the lists have a definate northern bias in my book to them.

Very biased! Nealy was not even the third best QB in the league last year as he ranked behind Hankins, Long and Williams. Yes, all I have left, but come on!

Elof and Evans are solid. Jolly is unproven. White, is he your #2 WR behind Carpenter? If Carpenter gets no love from anyone in the SLC, hardly, do you really think your #2 reciever could be someone?

Langford was not All-SLC first or second team last year. He's not even the top returning LB in the league (Simmons) or the one getting all the national attention (SHSU's Mickulec). You need to dream on!

Ivytalk
June 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
A small typo: the Harvard RB is Clifton Dawson, not Dawkins. Maybe they confused Clifton with former Philadelphia 76er Darryl Dawkins, "Chocolate Thunder" from the "Planet Lovetron"! :D

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Two more Patriot League defensive names that maybe should have figured in the all-American list:

Lehigh LB Anthony Graziani
Lafayette LB Maurice Bennett

I do question the inclusion of the Hampton LB. The Pirates last year only had 2 games last year where they prevented the opposition from scoring more than 14 points, and one of those game was against pitiful Savannah St. LB Brian Hulea of Villanova is a pretty good athlete too, but preseason all-American? I'd have but Bennett on there before both of them.

Both folks have Hofstra's LB on their all-American list -- I know nothing about him. But the same rule applies here. The Pride averaged giving up nearly 30 points a game! Hard to think of the guy as a "dominating" player as his team gives up 37 points to Northeastern.

kats89
June 11th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Very biased! Nealy was not even the third best QB in the league last year as he ranked behind Hankins, Long and Williams. Yes, all I have left, but come on!

Elof and Evans are solid. Jolly is unproven. White, is he your #2 WR behind Carpenter? If Carpenter gets no love from anyone in the SLC, hardly, do you really think your #2 reciever could be someone?

Langford was not All-SLC first or second team last year. He's not even the top returning LB in the league (Simmons) or the one getting all the national attention (SHSU's Mickulec). You need to dream on!

TT, I am with you. Nealy is VERY OVERRATED. I wonder if his head is still ringing after the hit Donelson put on him in Huntsville that knocked him out of the game.

CosmoVixen24
June 11th, 2005, 04:10 PM
TT, I am with you. Nealy is VERY OVERRATED. I wonder if his head is still ringing after the hit Donelson put on him in Huntsville that knocked him out of the game.

I totally agree. I'm glad you also pointed out that Nealy is overrated, since Texas St. is good for calling other teams and players overrated, but swear that their's deserve more credit where credit isn't due.

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I totally agree. I'm glad you also pointed out that Nealy is overrated, since Texas St. is good for calling other teams and players overrated, but swear that their's deserve more credit where credit isn't due.

I think they teach that in San Marcos. They are by far the biggest egos. When the chips are down, they call everyone else over-rated. When they get a win or two (even against Div II teams), they're jumping around saying they are SLC contenders. Times are changing, but they get no love here until they prove they are better than #3 in the SLC...

bobcatfan06
June 11th, 2005, 06:47 PM
The only players that should even sniff All-American status this year from Texas State are:

Nealy (ONLY if he has a OUTSTANDING, and I mean OUTSTANDING year)
Simmons
Elof
Big Fred Evans

That is coming from a Texas State fan and those are the only ones on our team right now that even have a shot at a NFL bench-warmer career. It would be hard for Elof though, just because he is a punter. Evans is a little small, but has the technique to make up for it.

CosmoVixen24
June 11th, 2005, 08:02 PM
I think they teach that in San Marcos. They are by far the biggest egos. When the chips are down, they call everyone else over-rated. When they get a win or two (even against Div II teams), they're jumping around saying they are SLC contenders. Times are changing, but they get no love here until they prove they are better than #3 in the SLC...

I couldn't have said that better myself. I'm glad to hear that they are ALWAYS like that and were not just that way when we played them and lost in over-time (our players weren't even "there" mentally when we played them and didn't start playing until the 4th quarter). At the end, you would've sworn that they won the NCAA I-AA championship, with that huge dogpile on the field and their players with tears of joy, yelling how over-rated we were, then damaging our benches and equipment we hauled from LA, as they rushed toward their student section cheering, and didn't even shake hands with our guys... poorest sports I've ever seen. :bang:

bobcatfan06
June 11th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I couldn't have said that better myself. I'm glad to hear that they are ALWAYS like that and were not just that way when we played them and lost in over-time (our players weren't even "there" mentally when we played them and didn't start playing until the 4th quarter). At the end, you would've sworn that they won the NCAA I-AA championship, with that huge dogpile on the field and their players with tears of joy, yelling how over-rated we were, then damaging our benches and equipment we hauled from LA, as they rushed toward their student section cheering, and didn't even shake hands with our guys... poorest sports I've ever seen. :bang:

Sounds like excuses to me. Plus what do you expect, we have sucked for 20 years, and you guys were ranked at the time. :D Not to mention that we beat SFA (who was #8?? at the time) the next week or the week after.

ngineer
June 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Nice to see someone recognizing Lehigh's Cardwell in the defensive secondary. While slightly undersized (last year 5'11" 190lbs.) he hits a ton.

CosmoVixen24
June 12th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Sounds like excuses to me. Plus what do you expect, we have sucked for 20 years, and you guys were ranked at the time. Not to mention that we beat SFA (who was #8?? at the time) the next week or the week after.

It's not excuses, just stating the facts, trust me. I was with them.

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 12th, 2005, 01:33 AM
It's not excuses, just stating the facts, trust me. I was with them.

Speaking of facts...you forgot the fact that your team was tauting our fans right before your team CHOKED and fumbled on the goal line. :nod:

And we're the poor sports? Let's not be hypocrites, shall we? ;)

As far as Nealy being overrated, I have to agree. He overachieved in his first year and had injuries in his second (allowing future QB Sophomore Chase Wasson to shine). I've always been semi-critical of him but you have to realize that it's not necessarily Texas State fans who are making him out to be a better-than-good QB. We know QB is not necessarily our strength.

It's the media.

bobcatfan06
June 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM
"Speaking of facts...you forgot the fact that your team was tauting our fans right before your team CHOKED and fumbled on the goal line."

That was funny. They were all taunting us then we all started cheering and pointed for them to turn around, that shut them up real fast. They also didn't seem to like the "Oregon Sucks" chant some of us started. For those of you who don't know, SeLU's jerseys look like Oregon, that ugly green and yellow combo. :p

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2005, 01:38 PM
(my cue) Ahem, Nealy is real good.

Nealy was shaken up and knocked out of the against Sam. He's real good at talking to the green on our field!

He'd also be good if he could hit the WRs!

CosmoVixen24
June 12th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Speaking of facts...you forgot the fact that your team was tauting our fans right before your team CHOKED and fumbled on the goal line.

Now THAT I honestly didn't see because I was paying so close attention to Terry Robinson try and run the ball in. But that was once, compared to the many times we've heard trash talk from y'all. So I can't be that hypocritical. Can't wait til the fall for that rematch. :D

CosmoVixen24
June 12th, 2005, 08:51 PM
That was funny. They were all taunting us then we all started cheering and pointed for them to turn around, that shut them up real fast. They also didn't seem to like the "Oregon Sucks" chant some of us started. For those of you who don't know, SeLU's jerseys look like Oregon, that ugly green and yellow combo.

That ugly green and gold combo, which I proudly bleed, will hopefully be smearing our colors all over your away jerseys. See you October 8th. :deadhorse

TXST_CAT
June 12th, 2005, 09:11 PM
These are Nealy's numbers in '03 when he was healthy and our Passing coach had a clue as to what he wanted to do with the passing game. This year Nealy will be healthy and Coach Herman who even the SAM Kats respect is going to help Nealy put up some big numbers again. As for his target he has several to choose from but my favorites are KR. and White. Speed and Size.

PASSING .............GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

Nealy, Barrick .......12 113.77 473-240-17 50.7 3129 21 70 260.8

Almost forgot he can run too.
RUSHING ............. GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G

Nealy, Barrick ..... ...12 133 532 271 261 2.0 3 23 21.8

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Watch out when Nealy throws! He may throw the ball to the opposing team, I mean with that 21 to 17 TD:INT ratio. Just lights up the scoreboard!

siugrad99
June 13th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Travis Glasford is completely OVERRATED. I witnessed in person what a good defense will do to him. How about 43 yards on 24 carries. SIU's 4th string RB had more yards on less carries! Majority of Glasfords yards last season came against inferior competition. He does not deserve to be on that team. Arkie Whitlock is a better back as well as many other deserving RB's.

TXST_CAT
June 14th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Your Talking about IT's in a season in which Nealy arived in the last few weeks of the Summer. Not to mention Matsakis had him passing 80% of the time. Any time you have a new QB in such a high passing offense he will have a high IT ratio. Trust me Herman will have a more efficient passing game and Nealy will have a field day this season.

txstatebobcat
June 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again concerning Nealy. His biggest problem I believe is that he has had four different head coaches in the last four years. Each of this head coaches has had radically different systems of offense implemented. Going into his fifth year he will finally have the luxury of having two consecutive years with the same system.

If he stays healthy, I truly think that he will have at least some consideration for All-American.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Well, if I can't smack, can I point to the fact that Nealy's TD to INT ratio hasn't been anything short of miserable? They do have a new passing coordinator (Sam's old guy), but I'm not sure that'll help. The difference between our two programs has been Sam has always churned out the WRs, the best in the conference. San Marcos has come up short in that area. Sam is really WR U!

McNeese75
June 14th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Speaking of facts...you forgot the fact that your team was tauting our fans right before your team CHOKED and fumbled on the goal line. :nod:

And we're the poor sports? Let's not be hypocrites, shall we? ;)

As far as Nealy being overrated, I have to agree. He overachieved in his first year and had injuries in his second (allowing future QB Sophomore Chase Wasson to shine). I've always been semi-critical of him but you have to realize that it's not necessarily Texas State fans who are making him out to be a better-than-good QB. We know QB is not necessarily our strength.

It's the media.

Actually, I think Wasson is a better QB than Nealy and expect that to become evident this year.

HPCAT
June 14th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Well, if I can't smack, can I point to the fact that Nealy's TD to INT ratio hasn't been anything short of miserable? They do have a new passing coordinator (Sam's old guy), but I'm not sure that'll help. The difference between our two programs has been Sam has always churned out the WRs, the best in the conference. San Marcos has come up short in that area. Sam is really WR U!

That must explain why SHSU has so many WRs that play at the next level. I hope you have better WRs than San Marcos High School, but this year you will not have better WRs than Texas State.

Sorry Ralph, I kind of fell into the smack mode there too. :)

And I have to agree with Mcneese75 that Wasson may indeed be the QB that will finally lead Texas State into the I-AA playoffs. I believe he learned a lot last year in the fire, like hold onto the ball when you are on the goal line, right TT ? And don't throw a bad pitch on the option on your own 7 against Baylor, that was the difference in a 7 point loss.

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 14th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Actually, I think Wasson is a better QB than Nealy and expect that to become evident this year.

I agree. But, I like them both. Nealy has an experience advantage and I think that (and his physical size and speed) are the reasons he's the starter over Wasson.

bobcatfan06
June 15th, 2005, 12:29 AM
TT=OWN3D

Sorry, but I had to do it. TT thinks he is God's gift to SLC football.

kats89
June 15th, 2005, 10:38 AM
That must explain why SHSU has so many WRs that play at the next level. I hope you have better WRs than San Marcos High School, but this year you will not have better WRs than Texas State.

Sorry Ralph, I kind of fell into the smack mode there too. :)

And I have to agree with Mcneese75 that Wasson may indeed be the QB that will finally lead Texas State into the I-AA playoffs. I believe he learned a lot last year in the fire, like hold onto the ball when you are on the goal line, right TT ? And don't throw a bad pitch on the option on your own 7 against Baylor, that was the difference in a 7 point loss.

how many WR's and QB's Tx State-San Marcos have at the next level?

Here is the guy that is going to make Nealy's life miserable if Nealy is still starting at the end of the season.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/pics/front_fb_51.jpg