PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Emerge in the SLC?

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
So, where's this leave the SLC? Seems our conference is not exactly giving hints to which team will come out on top or even compete for the conference championship this year...

Right now, McNeese looks like the best team in the SLC...but after that, who knows?

Northwestern St had a nice I-AA win tonight but not sure we know too much about them.

SFA is tied with Arizona right now five minutes into the second quarter. Already have a loss to a Div II school in the rearview mirror...

SELA piled on the points tonight and will be in the mix...

SHSU looked sharp against Div II UAM, but what happened tonight against SMU? We'll see what happens in Springfield next week against Missouri St...

Nicholls looked good early against LA Tech, but then couldn't capitalize on some chances. Run game was suspect against Southern Arkansas, though enough to win. Nebraska was Nebraska...

Bobcats left us guessing in Kentucky performance. First game of the year was a tough win at home against a Div II squad from Tarleton St and then a loss to Northern Colorado, unexpected for sure...

Can the SLC send two teams to the playoffs? Some of these teams better get their act together. Who will emerge? I just can't tell what's going on in this conference.

Thing is, we still have a few more I-A contests from SLC squads including a Sept 30th game between Texas and SHSU. Oy!

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 16th, 2006, 10:27 PM
The SLC is a mess right now. Not sure who the front runner is (definitely not TxSt., IMO). I still like SELA to win it, but only time will tell. I'd say that the SLC only sends one team to the playoffs this year.

McNeese75
September 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
IMO the SLC is looking weaker than I expected :( Conference play has not even begun yet but every team in the conference will possibly have two or more losses before we begin the internal head butting. This will probably result in only one playoff team this year from the SLC. :bang:

blackfordpu
September 16th, 2006, 11:24 PM
IMO the SLC is looking weaker than I expected :( Conference play has not even begun yet but every team in the conference will possibly have two or more losses before we begin the internal head butting. This will probably result in only one playoff team this year from the SLC. :bang:

Many of the losses are against I-A squads so I don't know how much affect it will have on how many teams get in the playoffs. If the SLC shows well against other I-AA's and against each other and shows it is a competitive conference, I think we can still get multiple teams in the post season.

McNeese75
September 16th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Many of the losses are against I-A squads so I don't know how much affect it will have on how many teams get in the playoffs. If the SLC shows well against other I-AA's and against each other and shows it is a competitive conference, I think we can still get multiple teams in the post season.

Our OOC I-AA opponents will not improve our SOS (well, at least I did not think they would :rotateh: ) I'll stand by my prediction of Uno only :mad:

Lionsrking
September 17th, 2006, 12:48 AM
So, where's this leave the SLC? Seems our conference is not exactly giving hints to which team will come out on top or even compete for the conference championship this year...

Right now, McNeese looks like the best team in the SLC...but after that, who knows?

Northwestern St had a nice I-AA win tonight but not sure we know too much about them.

SFA is tied with Arizona right now five minutes into the second quarter. Already have a loss to a Div II school in the rearview mirror...

SELA piled on the points tonight and will be in the mix...

SHSU looked sharp against Div II UAM, but what happened tonight against SMU? We'll see what happens in Springfield next week against Missouri St...

Nicholls looked good early against LA Tech, but then couldn't capitalize on some chances. Run game was suspect against Southern Arkansas, though enough to win. Nebraska was Nebraska...

Bobcats left us guessing in Kentucky performance. First game of the year was a tough win at home against a Div II squad from Tarleton St and then a loss to Northern Colorado, unexpected for sure...

Can the SLC send two teams to the playoffs? Some of these teams better get their act together. Who will emerge? I just can't tell what's going on in this conference.

Thing is, we still have a few more I-A contests from SLC squads including a Sept 30th game between Texas and SHSU. Oy!

It's a wide open race and I don't see a frontrunner right now with all seven schools having issues to overcome. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the league winner will probably have at least two league losses and I wouldn't be surprised to see another tie. I know it's cliche but it will likely come down to which team or teams stay healthy and make the fewest mistakes.

texcap
September 17th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Can the SLC send two teams to the playoffs?

Not unless all the other conferences play .500 the rest of the way.:D

There are really no quality teams in the SLC this year, or at least none that have stepped up yet, with maybe the exception of McNeese.

Texas State played okay defensively this evening, but they had too many penalties and other dumb mistakes. It seemed that they were going to do whatever it took to have UNC get their first ever I-AA road win.

McNeese has the upper hand right now. Of course that might depend on when SHSU can get Bomar on the field. I was disappointed to see SHSU get plastered by SMU.

I know one thing for certain; I am glad that I am not SE Louisiana heading into Lubbock after what happened to Tech today. They may make that 80 they hung on you guys look good!

JohnStOnge
September 17th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I'll just mention that it looks like Texas State outplayed Northern Colorado by a pretty good margin in terms of being able to move the football. Their total yardage margin was 437 to 221. But they had two turnovers while Northern Colorado had none, apparently must've had a punt blocked for a Northern Colorado touchdown (the box score indicates a 5 yard punt return), and committed 13 penalties for 111 yards to Northern Colorado's 4 for 30.

So the score/outcome may not be truely indicative of the team's potential.

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2006, 07:43 AM

The issue is with all the I-A games and subsequent losses, more SLC teams are going to have problems reaching that seven Div I plateau to even be eligible...especially since you got quite a few Div II games spread around.

With the 'Cats of Texas St-San Marcos only having one I-A game and one Div II games, they were in good position from a schedule standpoint. The rest of the schools had atleast two I-A games and a good percentage even had some sub-Div I games. That won't help. We'll be lucky if we get two SLC teams with the mandatory seven wins...

Cat79
September 17th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I'll just mention that it looks like Texas State outplayed Northern Colorado by a pretty good margin in terms of being able to move the football. Their total yardage margin was 437 to 221. But they had two turnovers while Northern Colorado had none, apparently must've had a punt blocked for a Northern Colorado touchdown (the box score indicates a 5 yard punt return), and committed 13 penalties for 111 yards to Northern Colorado's 4 for 30.

So the score/outcome may not be truely indicative of the team's potential.

JohnStOnge

There is one thing for certain. There is no longer a QB controversy at Texas State. Bradley George came in for a half and threw for 275 yards and all 13 points. He is our QB. The offensive line is the area that needs improvement. We had too many false starts. The defense played above average. If we start hitting on all cylinders this team has a tremendous amount of potential.:D

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM
There is one thing for certain. There is no longer a QB controversy at Texas State. Bradley George came in for a half and threw for 275 yards and all 13 points. He is our QB. The offensive line is the area that needs improvement. We had too many false starts. The defense played above average. If we start hitting on all cylinders this team has a tremendous amount of potential.:D

Wish we could join you in eliminating our QB issue. Our HC announced Brett Hicks is the starter next week. With Pate out for the season after starting the first game and Daughtery starting game two ineffectively, we'll now be on our third QB in as many games. Bomar may be a few weeks off, he may not be. Who knows? Hicks is going to start against Missouri St.

I can't wait to see what Wasson is capable of doing at WR if he does move back to that position. Is he going to line-up as a first-team WR? What's the status on that Purdue transfer, Ramirez? Would he be the backup or would it be Wasson?

Cat79
September 17th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Wish we could join you in eliminating our QB issue. Our HC announced Brett Hicks is the starter next week. With Pate out for the season after starting the first game and Daughtery starting game two ineffectively, we'll now be on our third QB in as many games. Bomar may be a few weeks off, he may not be. Who knows? Hicks is going to start against Missouri St.

I can't wait to see what Wasson is capable of doing at WR if he does move back to that position. Is he going to line-up as a first-team WR? What's the status on that Purdue transfer, Ramirez? Would he be the backup or would it be Wasson?

TT

We have so many good receivers that looked impressive. Crosby had 160 yards receiving last night in a half pretty much. Wasson would be in a rotation but I doubt he is the starter. Ramirez did not get any playing time last night. I saw him warming up with George. Bradley George looks so fluid when he throws that ball. Very impressive.

I was dissapointed about your score. I did not see your box score. What happened with Daughtery? Interceptions or fumbles?

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I was dissapointed about your score. I did not see your box score. What happened with Daughtery? Interceptions or fumbles?

Two early interceptions...Kats also tended to go for short passes instead of stretching the field. Kats offense gave SMU offense a short field to work with and did little to give the defense any time off, especially since the Kats also did not attempt to establish a running game. When they did, they were fine and the defense did much better...

birdsflyhigh
September 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Any thoughts on how the University of Central Arkansas will fare in the SLC? Know they played the #6 ranked ISU Redbirds tough on the road, then BEAT Gateway member Missouri State. They also have UC-Davis on their OCC. Currently they are the only SLC team with a winning record.

Know they can't go to the playoffs because they are just trasitioning to I-AA, but IMO the UCA Bears are worthy of a mention for a run at the SLC title. Looking at their schedule, I see UCA going 7-4. With a big road win over one of the better SLC teams, the Bears could be at 8-3.

Does look like the SLC is pretty jumbled up this year, so who knows UCA might just figure into the mix. :twocents:

JoshUCA
September 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I would like to think that we would but two things stop me from doing so:
1. We are not officially Southland members this year (we play as independents)
2. We don't play a full Southland Schedule so you can't really compare.

birdsflyhigh
September 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM
JoshUCA, thanks for the info. Yeah, I should have realized they didn't play a full SLC sched this year. IMO the Bears do have a program on the rise which could help strengthen the Southland. :)

Bobcat94
September 17th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Right Now......Northwestern St, SELA and McNeese are the front runners with Nich St a pontential fourth....Hell who am I kidding this is totally up for grabs right now. Lets talk after two weeks in conference then we will have our own "Seperation Saturday". By the way, there are only two toes left on the collective Bobcat foot...the rest were shot off last night. I will not rank them in the poll this week. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last week. George looks really GOOD, but I don't know about the OL or DL right now. I'm very concerned about the potential for wins in the SLC. We could see the bottom very easily this year, if things are not worked out and a little more dicipline put in place for the lines and openning up the clamshell playbook to let George begin to break Nealy's passing records........We could lose all but one this year or we could break out and make it interesting, but after that first half......I hope we can beat SFA in front of an empty Bobcat Stadium. If not, the AD may have to pay some homeless people to fill the stadium since most of the fair-weather has gone away........Free Hot Dogs and Cokes for the first 10,000......I'll still be there......and at Huntsville.:hurray:

GeauxColonels
September 17th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Right Now......Northwestern St, SELA and McNeese are the front runners with Nich St a pontential fourth....Hell who am I kidding this is totally up for grabs right now. Lets talk after two weeks in conference then we will have our own "Seperation Saturday". By the way, there are only two toes left on the collective Bobcat foot...the rest were shot off last night. I will not rank them in the poll this week. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last week. George looks really GOOD, but I don't know about the OL or DL right now. I'm very concerned about the potential for wins in the SLC. We could see the bottom very easily this year, if things are not worked out and a little more dicipline put in place for the lines and openning up the clamshell playbook to let George begin to break Nealy's passing records........We could lose all but one this year or we could break out and make it interesting, but after that first half......I hope we can beat SFA in front of an empty Bobcat Stadium. If not, the AD may have to pay some homeless people to fill the stadium since most of the fair-weather has gone away........Free Hot Dogs and Cokes for the first 10,000......I'll still be there......and at Huntsville.:hurray:
Wow, pretty strong words there about TxState and the Bobcat Nation! I would have to agree though, it's TOTALLY up for grabs. All the schools have shown so flashes of potential...but all have also had weaknesses exposed. Just like every year...it's going to be a dog fight in the SLC.

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Count Us Out.....

Why????

2 Reasons....

1) FUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Need I say more??????

2) Our Offense Needs Work.....

Dear God....On EVERY (and I do mean EVERY) passing play...Meeks was like 2 seconds slow. It's like he's too cautious of turning the ball over...Let it fly man....seesh.

O-Line....Had we not been able to bounce the ball outside...Our Running game would have been on lock....too many hornets in the Backfield.

Other than that....Purple Swarm Impressed...

Dallas Demon
September 18th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Our Purple Swarm Defense will keep us in any game. Yes, the offense is having fumble troubles (2 fumbles inside the 10 yard line and one inside the 30 against Delaware St. - 3 TDs down the drain). But it is young and will only get better. I like what I'm seeing with regards to potential. The SLC is still too hard to predict at this point, anyone could emerge.

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM
As I brought up on BobcatFans.com...

I-AA football, three games in means a lot.

Looking at the Texas St-San Marcos football squad, eight games left. Seven Div I wins needed to qualify for an at-large bid. Those folks need to go 7-1 from here on to qualify for an at-large...

Unfortunately, most of the SLC is looking at it from the same standpoint and it makes me wonder if the SLC can even get an at-large at this point. It definitely is a big question some around the league and nation are already asking. The conference has two Div I wins (SELA over Jacksonville, NWST over Delaware St). Neither of which was over a team that stands out in the I-AA world.

An SLC title obviously means an auto-bid, but can we get a school that does not win the SLC title qualified for an at-large and even if they are qualified, will they have a good enough reputation and enough accolades to get themselves into the I-AA playoffs? This has been a topsy-turvy year of I-AA football thus far (the OVC may end up surprising us all!), so getting an at-large may be tough to come by this year...

And I'm not trying to bash the Bobcats (as I am sure a few of you are led to believe), but bring up some points about the SLC in general. This OOC schedule for the SLC this year has really thrown things for a loop and really needs to be evaluated by the SLC, especially if we want to get multiple teams into the I-AA playoffs, to compete for the ultimate prize, a national title...

Demon Fan
September 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Our Purple Swarm Defense will keep us in any game. Yes, the offense is having fumble troubles (2 fumbles inside the 10 yard line and one inside the 30 against Delaware St. - 3 TDs down the drain). But it is young and will only get better. I like what I'm seeing with regards to potential. The SLC is still too hard to predict at this point, anyone could emerge.

I agree with your assessment of the Demons, Dallas Demon.

Frosty is the most pesimistic "fan" I have seen in quite some time. (It must be be cause his real team {Colorado} is doing so well.) You are right, their youth comes to the surface at times, but overall this is a very talented team that needs 3 weeks to mature. Hey!! Thats exactly how many they have until SLC opener against Sam Houston! (An open date and Div. II Ark. Monticello during that time.)

Lets wait until after then to make any serious evaluations.

GeauxColonels
September 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Looking at the schedules...I would think that the ONLY way the SLC gets two teams in the playoffs this season is if one team (except McNeese) runs the table, going undefeated in conference play. McNeese suffers only one loss (to the eventual SLC champ) and wins the rest of the season's games. I think THEN...and only then will the SLC get two playoff teams this year.

slycat
September 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
As I brought up on BobcatFans.com...

I-AA football, three games in means a lot.

Looking at the Texas St-San Marcos football squad, eight games left. Seven Div I wins needed to qualify for an at-large bid. Those folks need to go 7-1 from here on to qualify for an at-large...

Unfortunately, most of the SLC is looking at it from the same standpoint and it makes me wonder if the SLC can even get an at-large at this point. It definitely is a big question some around the league and nation are already asking. The conference has two Div I wins (SELA over Jacksonville, NWST over Delaware St). Neither of which was over a team that stands out in the I-AA world.

An SLC title obviously means an auto-bid, but can we get a school that does not win the SLC title qualified for an at-large and even if they are qualified, will they have a good enough reputation and enough accolades to get themselves into the I-AA playoffs? This has been a topsy-turvy year of I-AA football thus far (the OVC may end up surprising us all!), so getting an at-large may be tough to come by this year...

And I'm not trying to bash the Bobcats (as I am sure a few of you are led to believe), but bring up some points about the SLC in general. This OOC schedule for the SLC this year has really thrown things for a loop and really needs to be evaluated by the SLC, especially if we want to get multiple teams into the I-AA playoffs, to compete for the ultimate prize, a national title...

well the hurricanes last season really put a hurt on the slc. it casued the LA schools to schedule more I-As then usual. also when the 12th game was added it forced shsu a match up with UT. big games like those kill the number of I-A wins needed for an at-large bid. the bobcats scheduled an easier OOC schedule but due to many mistakes and a young team we are still struggling. itll be another fight to the finish for the slc and thats what makes it a fun conference. its tough to tell who will come out seeing most of the teams havnt played a I-AA school yet.

QB problems are plauging txstate and shsu. once bomar becomes available shsu will get better i would assume. and if we stick wit:hurray: :hurray: h george i think we'll get better.

heres to an interestnig slc season.

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 18th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I agree with your assessment of the Demons, Dallas Demon.

Frosty is the most pesimistic "fan" I have seen in quite some time. (It must be be cause his real team {Colorado} is doing so well.) You are right, their youth comes to the surface at times, but overall this is a very talented team that needs 3 weeks to mature. Hey!! Thats exactly how many they have until SLC opener against Sam Houston! (An open date and Div. II Ark. Monticello during that time.)

Lets wait until after then to make any serious evaluations.

Well....I tend to get "pestimistic" with the offense after seeing the same "things" (putting that nicely) the past few years. Maybe 1998 or 2002 has spoiled me...but oh well.

You think I'm pestimistic??....hang around the students (and even some of our OWN players) on campus long enough...you'll hear FAR worse then what I've said....trust me.

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 18th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Well....I tend to get "pestimistic" with the offense after seeing the same "things" (putting that nicely) the past few years. Maybe 1998 or 2002 has spoiled me...but oh well.

You think I'm pestimistic??....hang around the students (and even some of our OWN players) on campus long enough...you'll hear FAR worse then what I've said....trust me.

It's part of growing expectations.....not everyone has something positive to say about thier own teams all the time.

Crap....I mean to put edit and not quote.....

Ok...time for bed...Long day.

kats89
September 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
well the hurricanes last season really put a hurt on the slc. it casued the LA schools to schedule more I-As then usual. also when the 12th game was added it forced shsu a match up with UT. big games like those kill the number of I-A wins needed for an at-large bid. the bobcats scheduled an easier OOC schedule but due to many mistakes and a young team we are still struggling. itll be another fight to the finish for the slc and thats what makes it a fun conference. its tough to tell who will come out seeing most of the teams havnt played a I-AA school yet.

QB problems are plauging txstate and shsu. once bomar becomes available shsu will get better i would assume. and if we stick wit:hurray: :hurray: h george i think we'll get better.

heres to an interestnig slc season.

Baliff should have played him from the start of the season. Wasson is NOT your QB. It appears George is the man.

If Bomar gets in by conference, the SLC could get very interesting.

Demon Fan
September 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
It's part of growing expectations.....not everyone has something positive to say about thier own teams all the time.

Crap....I mean to put edit and not quote.....

Ok...time for bed...Long day.

Frosty my lad, you have every right to get frustrated. Yes, some of the great seasons and teams of recent years do indeed tend to spoil us. But don't think that you have "cornered the market" on being alternately encouraged and disappointed. Being more than old enough to be your father, I have been a Demon alum and fan for over 30 years, having missed two (2) home games since 1980. Go through the media guide and check out the season records since 1970 (when I started following the Demons) and you'll see what I mean. Please don't take my comments, about your poor mouthing the team, too seriously; after all, someone needs to do it at times. You are probably just honest and more willing to air NSU's dirty laundry with others than am I. I'm just glad there are guys like you, that are like me, dedicated to Northwestern State.

Hacker
September 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Any indication when the NCAA will let Sam Houston St- Huntsville know when Bomar will likely be reinstated?

blackfordpu
September 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Any indication when the NCAA will let Sam Houston St- Huntsville know when Bomar will likely be reinstated?

No news yet. Hoping within the next couple of weeks though.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2006, 10:32 PM

What's this Sam Houston St-Huntsville you talk of? Granted we are proud of our city, but not as proud as your institution that fought to put that name in your school's name! Must be another beautiful day in San Marcos!

I have to remind our friends on KatFans.com, that we're not playing Missouri St-Springfield. They're just Missouri St per the state of Missouri's legislation regarding the name, unlike that legislation sponsored by Wentworth of Bexar County in Texas...:read:

Hacker
September 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry. Best of luck to you this season Sam Houston St - Huntsville. You might have Bomar then.

The days are always beautiful in San Marcos. How could it not. There's so much to do there. I can't wait to come up there for the game. Hopefully there is something new to do in prison town, cause last time I checked there wasn't a whole lot

youwouldno
September 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Texas State fans sure have quieted down. I heard a lot of whining about a lack of respect before the season. Now...

Hacker
September 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
We've quieted down because conference hasn't even started yet. We're young, we're gonna make stupid mistakes. But I guarantee we'll be in the hunt come November. Now............

blackfordpu
September 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
We've quieted down because conference hasn't even started yet. We're young, we're gonna make stupid mistakes. But I guarantee we'll be in the hunt come November. Now............

Taking a page out of Roy Williams' book of stupid guarantees huh?

youwouldno
September 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Texas State is terrible. I was just pointing out that I and many others were correct when we said Tx St lost too much to have much success this year.

Hacker
September 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM
Oh come on. We haven't even started conference yet. We lost one game that we should have one. You'll be silent when it's all said and done. I'm not going to sit here and spout out a bunch of predictions because no one knows what will happen with injuries and such. But I know for a fact we have more talent than Sam Houston State-Huntsville

bobcatalum05
September 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Texas State is terrible. I was just pointing out that I and many others were correct when we said Tx St lost too much to have much success this year.

Where do you hail from fella.

blackfordpu
September 22nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Oh come on. We haven't even started conference yet. We lost one game that we should have one. You'll be silent when it's all said and done. I'm not going to sit here and spout out a bunch of predictions because no one knows what will happen with injuries and such. But I know for a fact we have more talent than Sam Houston State-Huntsville

Why are you doing that? You know that is not our name. It just makes you look stupid. :nonono2:

bobcatalum05
September 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Why are you doing that? You know that is not our name. It just makes you look stupid. :nonono2:
Maybe not you, but often you guys(Sam Houston) do the same thing with the TSU-3 and the San Marcos State comments

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Maybe not you, but often you guys(Sam Houston) do the same thing with the TSU-3 and the San Marcos State comments

We call you folks Texas St University - San Marcos, your legit name! Problem is...we're coming up close on system consolidation and then we can all be in trouble. There'll be a few too many Texas States then...:bang:

txstman
September 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Forerunners:
McNeese
Nicholls

In the hunt:
SE LA
Northwestern
Texas State

Lackluster at best:
SFA
Sam Houston

All that said. It is wide open. If the new TXST QB performs for the season like he did in the second half of the No Colorado game, I think that Texas State quickly rises to the top of that list. Wasson has been annouced as a starting receiver and good thing. With him and Zwinngi, the Bobcats have one of the fastest offenses in pads and a rocket arm slinging the ball to match that speed.

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Lackluster at best:
SFA
Sam Houston

What makes you think that?

I think SHSU should not even be included in any of the categories including that lackluster. We're obviously having QB issues. Defensively, we shouldn't be all too bad. If our offense actually gave our defense a breather, the SMU game wouldn't of gotten off so ugly...

If Bomar becomes eligible, that problem is fixed and we'll be in the middle at the very least...

youwouldno
September 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM

I can assure you silence is not likely on my part regardless of how Tx St does. The SLC is a crappy conference anyway. If its any consolation I have money on Tx St this weekend.

blackfordpu
September 22nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Forerunners:
McNeese
Nicholls

In the hunt:
SE LA
Northwestern
Texas State

Lackluster at best:
SFA
Sam Houston

All that said. It is wide open. If the new TXST QB performs for the season like he did in the second half of the No Colorado game, I think that Texas State quickly rises to the top of that list. Wasson has been annouced as a starting receiver and good thing. With him and Zwinngi, the Bobcats have one of the fastest offenses in pads and a rocket arm slinging the ball to match that speed.

Why is Tx State not a lackluster? You are in the same boat as we are, meaning QB problems.

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 12:59 AM
Why is Tx State not a lackluster? You are in the same boat as we are, meaning QB problems.

i agree we have proven nothing at this point to say otherwise. our next two games are SUU and SFA. even if we win both of those it proves nothing. if we lose then welcome to the bottom of the conference.

i think we have a team that has the potential to do a lot. its just a matter of getting everyone moving in the same direction. :bang:

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 01:05 AM
We call you folks Texas St University - San Marcos, your legit name! Problem is...we're coming up close on system consolidation and then we can all be in trouble. There'll be a few too many Texas States then...:bang:

god i hope this never happens. i know the majority of shsu feels the same way.

i just hate it when schools dont have unique names.:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

Cat79
September 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM
They better get ready for it. This guy the state hired from California is trying to keep the other universities from getting research money and holding them to their original educational intent. He is the one that put the California State system in place. In California you have the mid size and small universities having a Cal State name.

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 08:26 AM
They better get ready for it. This guy the state hired from California is trying to keep the other universities from getting research money and holding them to their original educational intent. He is the one that put the California State system in place. In California you have the mid size and small universities having a Cal State name.

It's already a forseen conclusion that system consolidation will hit the floor in 2007. Everyone from the system chancellor to the presidents of the universities in the state are noting as much. Question is, do they change the names? There's going to be a huge fight prior to that system consolidation debate to protect the names of the school. It may be a cakewalk or it could be a cockfight...we'll see. :twocents:

blackfordpu
September 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
i agree we have proven nothing at this point to say otherwise. our next two games are SUU and SFA. even if we win both of those it proves nothing. if we lose then welcome to the bottom of the conference.

i think we have a team that has the potential to do a lot. its just a matter of getting everyone moving in the same direction. :bang:

So by your own admission your so called "rankings" are bull**it.

At this point in the season all teams have the potential to do a lot in the SLC.

kats89
September 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM

Then obviously you dont know crap. More talent?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Lost one game you should have won (No. Colorado) and won one game you should have LOST (Tarleton St).:eek: Ya'll may have found your QB, but teams will adjust. Your hard games are coming on the road.

blackfordpu
September 23rd, 2006, 08:50 AM

If all your players are as "smart" as you are we don"t have a problem.:rolleyes:

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Looks like there is no love lost in the SLC. Is Texas State your Youngstown or something? ;)

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Looks like there is no love lost in the SLC. Is Texas State your Youngstown or something? ;)

Difference is that Youngstown St has a track record of success...

The Bobcats on the otherhand have one good year out of 20 and some of their faithful are making calls for I-A, saying they are a national championship contender, a powerhouse, etc. Not all their fans aren't realists, but there is a vocal group at hand...

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
I've got to agree with you there TT:thumbsup:

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
So by your own admission your so called "rankings" are bull**it.

At this point in the season all teams have the potential to do a lot in the SLC.

yeah we all have potential becasue none of us have faced a school that we can really judge how good we are yet. too many I-A or DII games.

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
yeah we all have potential becasue none of us have faced a school that we can really judge how good we are yet. too many I-A or DII games.

Hey now...Bobcats have played a I-AA, Northern Colorado at home...

Bobcats were smart being the only team to have just one I-A on their slate in the SLC and thus far, have yet to take advantage. With a schedule that includes Southern Utah, Texas Southern and Northern Colorado, you'd expect 3-0, 2-1 at worst (though not expected with NoCo being at home). If the 'Cats fall to SUU, there's trouble in San Marcos...

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Difference is that Youngstown St has a track record of success...

The Bobcats on the otherhand have one good year out of 20 and some of their faithful are making calls for I-A, saying they are a national championship contender, a powerhouse, etc. Not all their fans aren't realists, but there is a vocal group at hand...

heres the way i see it. some fans are living on last year and callin us great because of the 20 years of playing bad. for once they had something to cheer about and they will ride it as long as they can.

most the people that want to go IA are new and only see that we have 27000 students and with those numbers think we should be IA. they dont realize our track record with football and how hard the transition would be on us.

i for one would like to move to up someday but thats far down the road when we are ready. after many winning seasons and strong fan support.

im happy in IAA. the playoff system is much more enjoyable.

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Hey now...Bobcats have played a I-AA, Northern Colorado at home...

Bobcats were smart being the only team to have just one I-A on their slate in the SLC and thus far, have yet to take advantage. With a schedule that includes Southern Utah, Texas Southern and Northern Colorado, you'd expect 3-0, 2-1 at worst (though not expected with NoCo being at home). If the 'Cats fall to SUU, there's trouble in San Marcos...

yeah yeah i know but i try to look on the bright side that the refs screwed up. UNC still played good though.

yeah i was one of the ones that thought our schedule would put us in a chance for the playoffs. even with a rebuilding yr i liked our chances.

youre right though about SUU....i dont want to see what itll be like in san marcos if that happens.

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
i can't imagine a SUU win.

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
yeah i was one of the ones that thought our schedule would put us in a chance for the playoffs. even with a rebuilding yr i liked our chances.

You would think so. I really thought they'd just lose once in OOC (Kentucky) and be a very good candidate with a 9-2 record or even 8-3 record. As we know, no one goes undefeated in the SLC, which I think all Cats, Kats, Cowboys, Demons, Colonels, Lions and Jacks can agree.

Bottom line...SLC is in trouble thanks to the OOC. The Commish needs to take a very strong look at what's up here as he and the powers that be did with basketball. We're in trouble in the future if thise continues, unless a 12th game is added.

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
i can't imagine a SUU win.

It's Homecoming...

SUU put away two sub-Div I patsies and played relatively close with a good Weber St team on the road...this is going to be a tougher challenge than most will be willing to believe...

TxSt is going to have be ready and I think Bailiff will have them ready to turn around their fortunes. Definitely a game the 'Cats will have to minimize penalties and turnovers to win...wonder what the weather will be like in Cedar City tonight...

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
the weather is colder than here. 61 degrees at 6pm. and about 50 by 9.

hope they are ready for it.

im also hoping that starting george makes a difference. (and please no more turnovers, penelties, or not scoring in the red zone)

GO TEXAS STATE!!!!!:hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Only bright spots are SHSU leading over Gateway Conference rival Missouri State and SFA beating transititional UCA (only good because a Div II loss would be trouble regardless if I prefer UCA over SFA)...

South Dakota St 24
Nicholls St. 17
Final

McNeese St. 7
Toledo 20
Half

SE Louisiana 0
Texas Tech 42
14:55 3rd

Sam Houston St. 13
Missouri St. 3
Half

Central Arkansas 14
Stephen F. Austin 26
Half

Texas St. 0
Southern Utah 14
1:58 1st

Bear Fan 101
September 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
SFA 26
UCA 21

after an 80 yard drive to start the 2nd half for the Bears

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Wow...this conference has just one winning team...this is the standings now (without the addition of UCA/SFA game result). Only Div I wins are SELA beating J'Ville, NWSt over DelSt and SHSU over Missouri St...

Southland Conf All
Sam Houston State 0-0 2-1
Northwestern State 0-0 1-2
McNeese State 0-0 1-2
Nicholls State 0-0 1-3
Southeastern Louisiana 0-0 1-3
Texas State 0-0 1-3
Stephen F. Austin 0-0 0-3

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
as TT and i were saying earlier. a lost to SUU means its over. maybe we'll mix things up in the SLC. as long as we beat SFA and dont finish in the bottom.

and i'd like to beat sam....:)

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
as TT and i were saying earlier. a lost to SUU means its over. maybe we'll mix things up in the SLC. as long as we beat SFA and dont finish in the bottom.

[QUOTE=slycat]and i'd like to beat sam....:)

Trust me, we'd love to beat you! We got a long way to go to get there...

The SLC is down this year and any team can win the SLC this year. It's going to be a mess! We could have a three-way tie for the title this year the way things are going...

slycat
September 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=slycat]as TT and i were saying earlier. a lost to SUU means its over. maybe we'll mix things up in the SLC. as long as we beat SFA and dont finish in the bottom.

Trust me, we'd love to beat you! We got a long way to go to get there...

The SLC is down this year and any team can win the SLC this year. It's going to be a mess! We could have a three-way tie for the title this year the way things are going...

yeah the slc is beat up. UCA seems like they would win conference if they were eligable.

i just hope someone from the slc steps up and makes noise in the playoffs.

Purple Pride
September 23rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]

yeah the slc is beat up. UCA seems like they would win conference if they were eligable.

Appreciate that vote of confidence, slycat.

FINAL

UCA 37 (3-1)
SFA 35 (0-4)

Bear Fan 101
September 23rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
that does sound good! Thanks for the kind words.

darussian12
September 24th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Definitely a game the 'Cats will have to minimize penalties and turnovers to win

well as much as i hate to agree with ya...damn you were dead on...i mean its common sense we would have to do that with how sh9ttu we [;layed the 1st 3....but this was SAD...126 in penalties in the 1ST HALF ONLY.,...f'ing PATHETIC....and i think we ended up with like 4...maybe 3 at best.....but yeah...3-4 turnover and 126 penalty yds in 1 half doesnt win games....an undisciplined team that doesnt know its ass from its foot the first 4 games....honestly....depressing..if i hadnt said ut before.....but tha nks TT for pointing it out that thats what we blew MAJOR BALLS ON :-)....

slycat
September 24th, 2006, 02:33 AM
that does sound good! Thanks for the kind words.

hey you know UCA has shown up and played strong in every I-AA game so far. they far exceded my expectations as a team in a transistion year. good luck to the bears the rest of the year.

ps. thanks for beating sfa to keep them in the bottom of the slc.

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 06:43 AM
i just hope someone from the slc steps up and makes noise in the playoffs.

It's going to be tough...

Whichever team emerges is going to be beat up pretty bad...it's not going to be a cakewalk through conference though it never is...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
The updated standings pending the SDSU/McN game...

Southland Conf All
Sam Houston State 0-0 2-2
McNeese State 0-0 2-2 (pending South Dakota St)
Northwestern State 0-0 2-2
Nicholls State 0-0 1-3
Texas State 0-0 1-3
Southeastern Louisiana 0-0 1-4
Stephen F. Austin 0-0 0-5

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 09:15 PM
The updated standings pending the SDSU/McN game...

Southland Conf All
McNeese State 0-0 2-2 (pending South Dakota St)
Nicholls State 0-0 1-3
Texas State 0-0 1-3
Ouch... SLC = 1 bid league this year?????

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Burnett said it himself...SLC outscheduled ourselves this year...SHSU would have to win out just to get to the seven game win minimum...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14287

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Most likely unless the committee takes into consideration SOS.

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 09:23 PM
they did schedule a ridiculous amount of IA games, I hope the money (which I know was needed) was worth it

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Most likely unless the committee takes into consideration SOS.

Considering each team in the SLC is going to have a hard as heck time to reach seven Div I wins to get an at-large...

SHSU for needs to win out...
McNeese has to win six of their final seven...
Texas State has to win out...
SELA has to win out...
NWST has to win six of their final seven...
Nicholls St can not reach seven and must win the SLC...
SFA can not reach seven and must win the SLC...

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Considering each team in the SLC is going to have a hard as heck time to reach seven Div I wins to get an at-large...

SELA has to win out...

So it is a rule that in order to be considered for an at large bid a team must win 7 games?

If the Kats win out we will have 8 Division I wins.

McTailGator
September 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM

SELA has to win out...

McNeese will not lose another regular season game this year. Bank on it.

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 09:41 PM
bold prediction :eek:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
So it is a rule that in order to be considered for an at large bid a team must win 7 games?

Yes, hence a SHSU win over Texas St-San Marcos last year would've knocked them all the way out of the playoffs as Nicholls St would've recieved the nod over the 'Cats...would've been huge for both programs, SHSU because it'd of knocked a rival out of going to the playoffs, 'Cats because they'd of not made the playoffs in their best chance in I-AA history...

If the Kats win out we will have 8 Division I wins.

UCA counts as Div II this year...they are transitional...

kats89
September 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM

How many beers you had? You have to come to Huntsville. You will be going down.!!xprost2x :nod:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM

I have McN over SUU...

The SLC, I'm not so sure about. Going undefeated in the SLC is a tough task and I really think McN is going to lose one, whether it at Northwestern St, at SHSU or maybe even at home against SELA...

Purple Pride
September 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
UCA 4-1. Good thing we don't count this year.:thumbsup:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:45 PM
UCA 4-1. Good thing we don't count this year.:thumbsup:

Well, considering the Div II games...it wouldn't matter...your schedule would be comparable to Chuck South...

I think if you guys were in the SLC, you'd be a middle of the pack team for sure. A few breaks here and there, UCA could compete at the upper echelon this year...

Next year will be fun though with you guys in the SLC...because you can not be a 'counter' just yet (I don't believe), you guys won't have any I-A games so you should be able to represent the SLC proud OOC...

McTailGator
September 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
How many beers you had? You have to come to Huntsville. You will be going down.!!xprost2x :nod:

Ha!

What is your record vs McNeese?

History is on my side. And you know it.

Face it, we had better teams, but this conference sucks this year.

All we have to be is OK to win out, and we are MORE OK that the rest of this conference this year.

McTailGator
September 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I have McN over SUU...

The SLC, I'm not so sure about. Going undefeated in the SLC is a tough task and I really think McN is going to lose one, whether it at Northwestern St, at SHSU or maybe even at home against SELA...

Going undefeated in this conference will NOT be difficult. Face it, this conference is not what it has been this year.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Going undefeated in this conference will NOT be difficult. Face it, this conference is not what it has been this year.

You need to stop looking ahead...

McNeese is tied with SDSU right now and that's trouble for the Pokes...

kats89
September 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM

Better worry about your current game. Tied at 17 last I saw.:nod:

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM

Is that before or after tonight???? :confused:

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM

McNeese will not go undefeated in the conference this year. Several teams have an equal shot at the conference crown, including Northwestern, especially since the Cowboys have to travel to Natchitoches. We'll see with bold predictions. I do remember you saying the Cowboys wouldn't lose an SLC game for the next 3 (or was it 4) years too... : smh :

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Wow, SD St. 46 yard FG for the lead 20-17 with 14 seconds left.

kats89
September 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Wow, SD St. 46 yard FG for the lead 20-17 with 14 seconds left.

He must be talking about the win streak starting after this game.

SLC Standings Now...

SHSU 2-2
NW State 2-2
Nicholls St 1-3
Tx State 1-2
McNeese 1-3
SE Louisiana 1-4
SFA 0-5

(Central Arkansas 4-1)

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
**UPDATED STANDINGS**
Post McN/SDSU game

Southland Conf All
Nicholls State 0-0 1-3
McNeese State 0-0 1-3
Texas State 0-0 1-3
=================
Updated Scenarios to get to seven Div I wins
McNeese has to win their final seven...
SELA has to win out...

slycat
September 30th, 2006, 10:07 PM
He must be talking about the win streak starting after this game.

SLC Standings Now...

SHSU 2-2
NW State 2-2
Nicholls St 1-3
Tx State 1-2
McNeese 1-3
SE Louisiana 1-4
SFA 0-5

(Central Arkansas 4-1)

im still scratching my head over the slc this year. i guess the streak of the champion coming down to the last week will happen again.

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM
**UPDATED STANDINGS**
Post McN/SDSU game

Southland Conf All
Nicholls State 0-0 1-3
McNeese State 0-0 1-3
Texas State 0-0 1-3
=================
Updated Scenarios to get to seven Div I wins
McNeese has to win their final seven...
SELA has to win out...

Now you gonna change your plans to come to Natchitoches next weekend? Huge, huge game in Natchitoches.:nod:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Next week -- three SLC games, one OOC game...

1-3 TxSt hosts 0-5 SFA
1-3 Nicholls hosts 1-3 SELA
3-1 Southern Utah visits 1-3 McNeese
2-2 SHSU visits 2-2 NWSt

My early picks:
TxSt over SFA
Nicholls over SELA
SHSU over NWSt

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Next week -- three SLC games, one OOC game...

1-3 TxSt hosts 0-5 SFA
1-3 Nicholls hosts 1-3 SELA
3-1 Southern Utah visits 1-3 McNeese
2-2 SHSU visits 2-2 NWSt

My early picks:
TxSt over SFA
Nicholls over SELA
SHSU over NWSt

Mine:

SFA over TxST
Nicholls over SE LA
NWSt over SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Mine:

SFA over TxST
Nicholls over SE LA
NWSt over SHSU

If SFA beat the 'Cats in San Marcos...I'd really throw in the towel on the SLC season...I'd be so lost! xidiotx

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Where are you now McTailGator? Didn't go as you had so "Cockily" planned huh?

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Mine:

SFA over TxST
Nicholls over SE LA
NWSt over SHSU

SHOCKING!:eek: ;)

Just kidding, should be a great game. :nod:

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM
If SFA beat the 'Cats in San Marcos...I'd really throw in the towel on the SLC season...I'd be so lost! xidiotx
Tex St lost to N. Colorado at home- so I don't see why it would be so surprising if SFA won there.......

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Tex St lost to N. Colorado at home- so I don't see why it would be so surprising if SFA won there.......

Because SFA is well....SFA 0-5.

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
SHOCKING!:eek: ;)

Just kidding, should be a great game. :nod:

Let me know if you are coming over. I'll be there with lots of cold ones.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Let me know if you are coming over. I'll be there with lots of cold ones.

I may, depends if the wife (pregnant mind you) is feeling up to it.:nod:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 10:20 PM

It's SFA...0-5 this year, 1-6 (0-3 in the SLC) on the road under McFarland (sole win was at Southern Utah)...

I just don't have much faith in SFA on the road. Homer Bryce used to be a tough place to win, but even that looks like a comfortable night's sleep now...

Dallas Demon
September 30th, 2006, 10:22 PM

And also Tarleton St. (Div II) almost beat TxST at home this year.

Catmendue2
September 30th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Jack Rabbits:smiley_wi :hurray:

slycat
October 1st, 2006, 12:20 AM
i dont see us losing to sfa at home. not that we are great but we are better at home. plus we had a lot of penalties and a b.s. ref call. but if we put another 100+ penalty yards game it will be interesting. we've also had 2 weeks to prepare.

txst over sfa
nicholls over sela
nwst-sam up in the air
suu over mcneese

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM
suu over mcneese

You really think McNeese is going to fall flat once more against a GWFC foe after losing to South Dakota St?

I'm finding that hard to believe, but everything is hard to believe in the SLC this year...

ndsubison
October 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM
The Bison of North Dakota State are now 5-0 against SLC teams. NW State, Nichols, and now SFA. I also believe NDSU convincingly won against the eventual SLC champion last year (NW State?), 35-7 on the road in Nachitoches. Also, a mid-level Great West team (SDSU) owns wins over SLC teams. The Great West owns the SLC. And who says we don't know how to play FB in the Dakota's??:nonono2: xidiotx :nonono2:

NDSU BISON: Playoff Eligible In 2008!!!:nono: :thumbsup: :hurray: :hurray:

GeauxColonels
October 1st, 2006, 10:37 AM
The Bison of North Dakota State are now 5-0 against SLC teams. NW State, Nichols, and now SFA. I also believe NDSU convincingly won against the eventual SLC champion last year (NW State?), 35-7 on the road in Nachitoches. Also, a mid-level Great West team (SDSU) owns wins over SLC teams. The Great West owns the SLC. And who says we don't know how to play FB in the Dakota's??:nonono2: xidiotx :nonono2:

NicholLs has 2 L's....PLEASE spell the name right. And Northwestern State wasn't close to winning the SLC last year. Nicholls State and Texas State tied for the SLC championship.

As for the GWFC against the SLC.....congrats and nothing but respect from us down here. You guys earned it on the field.:bow: :bow: :bow:

McNeese75
October 1st, 2006, 10:48 AM
i dont see us losing to sfa at home. not that we are great but we are better at home. plus we had a lot of penalties and a b.s. ref call. but if we put another 100+ penalty yards game it will be interesting. we've also had 2 weeks to prepare.

txst over sfa
nicholls over sela
nwst-sam up in the air
suu over mcneese

Two weeks to prepare usually just means your team will be flat as hell when they hit the field.

The SLC is incredibly weak this year. A loss to SUU next week would not surprise me after what I saw last night (19 penalties for 174 yds including two TDs called back).

Irregardless of who wins the SLC this year, they will be on the road against one of the top seeds and get a quick trip home.

I guess it could be worse. We could be like Bison here waving the flag and bragging about dominance of the SLC and know they are going to be sitting on their azz at home come playoff time :nod:

If I had to guess who will win the SLC, my vote goes to the Demons at this point in time.

slycat
October 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
You really think McNeese is going to fall flat once more against a GWFC foe after losing to South Dakota St?

I'm finding that hard to believe, but everything is hard to believe in the SLC this year...

SUU played a great game on the road against cal poly.

slycat
October 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Two weeks to prepare usually just means your team will be flat as hell when they hit the field.

The SLC is incredibly weak this year. A loss to SUU next week would not surprise me after what I saw last night (19 penalties for 174 yds including two TDs called back).

Irregardless of who wins the SLC this year, they will be on the road against one of the top seeds and get a quick trip home.

I guess it could be worse. We could be like Bison here waving the flag and bragging about dominance of the SLC and know they are going to be sitting on their azz at home come playoff time :nod:

If I had to guess who will win the SLC, my vote goes to the Demons at this point in time.

god i hope not. we need the win badly.

McNeese75
October 1st, 2006, 11:19 AM
god i hope not. we need the win badly.

I hear ya Sly, my statement is based on how flat the Cowboys seem to be after an open date historically. The Cats may be fine. :twocents:

GeauxColonels
October 1st, 2006, 11:11 PM

Man, you took the words right out of my mouth! :( :( :(

blukeys
October 1st, 2006, 11:39 PM
I hear ya Sly, my statement is based on how flat the Cowboys seem to be after an open date historically. The Cats may be fine. :twocents:

Must be something in the Blue and Gold colors. Delaware is traditionally asleep after an open date!!!:( :( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dallas Demon
October 2nd, 2006, 12:11 AM

When it counted last year Texas State eliminated Cal Poly in the quarterfinals, so it's not total domination. NW State, as someone mentioned, had an off year last year. Nicholls and Texas State made the playoffs.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 2nd, 2006, 02:00 AM

We made the Playoffs going 5-5???????? For that matter....We won the Southland???? Huh???

:nonono2::nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

While it is true NDSU destroyed us 35-7 last year, Texas State and Nichollis State split the Southland last year. We finished 4th in the Southland last year I believe. The year before that.....yall did beat us when we won (err....split) the Southland. I believed that is what you meant....right??

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Dopke Ratings...only lists 101, does not include 'mid-majors'...

18 Central Arkansas (4-1)
25 Northwestern State (2-2)
59 McNeese State (1-3)
62 Sam Houston State (2-2)
80 Nicholls State (1-3)
86 Texas State (1-3)
87 Texas Southern (2-3)
88 Stephen F. Austin (0-5)
93 Prairie View A&M (2-2)

Threw in the SLC and the other Texas I-AA schools...

http://dopke.com/Football%20Rankings/2006/I-AA/IAA_06_06.htm

GeauxColonels
October 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM

59 McNeese State (1-3)
80 Nicholls State (1-3)86 Texas State (1-3)
87 Texas Southern (2-3)

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

This season is DEFINITELY NOT going as planned! :(

slycat
October 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM

59 McNeese State (1-3)
80 Nicholls State (1-3)
86 Texas State (1-3)
87 Texas Southern (2-3)

oh god one above texas southern. we have got to beat them this year.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
oh god one above texas southern. we have got to beat them this year.

I didn't want to post the Dopke on BobcatFans.com because I feared that due to those rankings that Texas Southern may top SHSU as your top rival especially if the rankings just about hold heading into that game...xlolx

TexasTerror
October 3rd, 2006, 07:03 AM
Article on the Kats from the Item being right in the mix of things...of course, everyone is...

Right in the mix of things
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

For the first time since the 2004 Southland Conference championship season, Sam Houston State is in perfect position heading into league play.

The Bearkats are 2-2, which is only one win better than they were at this point a year ago. You might be saying to yourself one game shouldn’t be that much of a difference, but it is.

Last season, SHSU rolled over an NAIA school to open with a win at home, then lost to a pair of pretty good Division I-A programs, Houston and Texas Tech, on the road. That series of games didn’t give then first-year head coach Todd Whitten and his staff an idea of what it was like coaching in Division I-AA.

The one chance they had came the week before SLC play began when Missouri State was supposed to come to town. But like a lot of things, Hurricane Rita didn’t allow that to happen.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_275231421.html?keyword=topstory

blackfordpu
October 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
I like what he says about DDT. I am very anxious to see how he runs against other I-AA programs. He gained more yards on UT than any other team. He has high expectations riding on him and I hope he delivers. :nod:

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Here's an article out of San Antonio on one team in the SLC that has hopes to turn it all around and emerge in the SLC...talks of all the new faces in San Marcos and Nacogdoches, which is impacting the success of those teams...

Football: Texas State eyes quick turnaround

Web Posted: 10/06/2006 10:44 PM CDT

Jerry Briggs
Express-News Staff Writer

The Texas State Bobcats haven't won a game since Sept. 2. The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks haven't won all season.

All the losing efforts aren't the only similarities for the opponents in tonight's Southland Conference opener at Bobcat Stadium.

"They have 40 new faces," Texas State coach David Bailiff said. "We have 31, racing to get them all on the same page."

In most games to date, both Texas State and SFA have played well in stretches, only to fall apart at critical moments.

"Just like us," Bailiff said. "Shooting themselves in the foot, sometimes even in the knee and the hip."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA100706.13C.FBCtexasstate.30d04e6.html

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Holy moly!

The SLC has really flipped it's lid!

SFA 24
TxSt 13
FINAL

SFA picks up their first win of the season to improve to 1-5.

I-AA semifinalist, a year ago, Texas State, drops to 1-4...

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM

59 McNeese State (1-3)
80 Nicholls State (1-3)
86 Texas State (1-3)
87 Texas Southern (2-3)

Please say we're above 87 :rotateh:

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Please say we're above 87 :rotateh:

I don't even see you folks on that page! Wow...these people screwed up! xidiotx

slycat
October 7th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Holy moly!

The SLC has really flipped it's lid!

SFA 24
TxSt 13
FINAL

SFA picks up their first win of the season to improve to 1-5.

I-AA semifinalist, a year ago, Texas State, drops to 1-4...

dont even start. this loss is enough. blow a 10 point lead at home to a 0-5 team. pathetic. this is going to be a loooooooong year and off season. time to see empty stands again.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I am honestly shocked by Texas State losing to SFA, especially in the friendly confines of Bobcat Stadium...

What happened there? I was busy with the SHSU game (and still am), just caught scores on Yahoo...

GeauxColonels
October 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I am honestly shocked by Texas State losing to SFA, especially in the friendly confines of Bobcat Stadium...

What happened there? I was busy with the SHSU game (and still am), just caught scores on Yahoo...
Same here!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

blackfordpu
October 7th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Same here!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Same here too! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2006, 09:29 PM

SFA scores twice in the final 2:34 ... Southall goes for 59 on a TD run and Runnels adds a 29-yard score with under 2 minutes left after a Bobcat turnover

GeauxColonels
October 7th, 2006, 09:30 PM
SFA scores twice in the final 2:34 ... Southall goes for 59 on a TD run and Runnels adds a 29-yard score with under 2 minutes left after a Bobcat turnover
WOW!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sounds like a BIG meltdown.

Hansel
October 7th, 2006, 09:31 PM

SFA will win the SLC- they need to to keep our streak of wins over the SLC champ in tact :p

slycat
October 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM

i missed the game to work but i caught stuff on gametracker and such. the big problem seemd to be disipline again. 140 yards in penalties, 3 turnovers. we outplayed them and gave them the game. i just don't see how CB hasnt stopped this problem. we had the same problem last year and it stopped after the first couple games. i still want to see what we would be like one game without all the penalties and turnovers.

TexasTerror

Southall is definitely a talent. I hope this wasn't his coming out party because if it was, he's going to be one tough QB to stop on the ground and through the air in the SLC...

slycat

turnovers helped.: smh :

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2006, 09:34 PM
i missed the game to work but i caught stuff on gametracker and such. the big problem seemd to be disipline again. 140 yards in penalties, 3 turnovers. we outplayed them and gave them the game. i just don't see how CB hasnt stopped this problem. we had the same problem last year and it stopped after the first couple games. i still want to see what we would be like one game without all the penalties and turnovers.

Nobody's after DB like some McFans were with TT?

slycat
October 7th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Nobody's after DB like some McFans were with TT?

some are. not me....................................yet. i still like a lot hes done for the team even beyond the field.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM
some are. not me....................................yet. i still like a lot hes done for the team even beyond the field.

Bailiff is a class act...

Has definitely got the community involved in the program and academically, has changed around the Bobcats, which was a definite sore spot when Mataskis was the head coach...

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM
After tonight's action...

Southland Conf All
Sam Houston State 1-0 3-2
Nicholls State 1-0 2-3
Stephen F. Austin 1-0 1-5
McNeese State 0-0 2-3
Northwestern State 0-1 2-3
Texas State 0-1 1-4
Southeastern Louisiana 0-1 1-5

Next week
NICH @ SHSU
NWST @ SELA
TXST @ McN

SFA 71
October 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM

It seems to me that I remember that swt was ahead 10 - 0 at the half after making a tremendous goal line stand. SFA comes out & scores a field goal after driving down close. swt comes back by driving down & getting a field goal. SFA scores on a long pass. It doesn't seem to me that the last 2.34 was the whole game. The next to last score (by Southall) happened after SFA stops swt & forces them to punt with SFA getting the ball on their own 20. An eighty yard drive isn't a fluke & didn't happen in one second. swt fumbles the kickoff... that's part of fb... & one of the few breaks that SFA got. The only real melt down I saw was SFA trying to end the game & swt getting 2 or 3 unsportsmanlike penalties that put the ball down near the 10 yard line. SFA could probably have scored again or at least got a FG. :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2006, 07:23 AM
An article about how things are a bit topsy-turvy in the SLC from SFA/SHSU winning road games to the 'Dean of the SLC' Tommy Tate being asked to resign as the jockeying for position provides surprises and possibly more on way?

Early SLC jockeying could provide more suprises
Kevin Gore, The Daily Sentinel

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Southland Conference's opening week proved that anything is possible.

Two road teams – SFA and Sam Houston – earned road victories, something neither team accomplished last season.

A coach was asked to resign.

McNeese State's Tommy Tate was the dean of league coaches and a former McNeese player.

In 2002, Tate's team lost in the Division I-AA championship game in a season when he was named the I-AA coach of the year.

The Lake Charles American Press reported philosophical differences between Tate and school president Dr. Robert Hebert regarding discipline issues of the team as one of the reasons for the sudden move.

There's a big game in Huntsville between two 1-0 league teams and two others involving teams that will try to avoid their second loss this weekend.

http://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/10/12/20061012NDSSOUTHLAND_COL.html

blackfordpu
October 13th, 2006, 07:42 AM
This weekend will be very intersting. It will go a long way to showing who may win the SLC this season.

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM
This weekend will be very intersting. It will go a long way to showing who may win the SLC this season.

So we may finally start to get a little clarity? :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
So we may finally start to get a little clarity? :thumbsup:

Perhaps...

A McNeese win over Texas St-San Marcos may not prove too much unless they do so in dominating fashion...

A SHSU win over Nicholls means SHSU will go into their home game against McNeese undefeated. SHSU plays non-conference (soon to be conference) Central Arkansas next week, which will be a good test and will give the Kats a longer week to prep for McNeese...

NWST and SELA will tell us who can play their ways back into conference. Both teams are obviously very dangerous.

We'll see what the week brings. Hoping SHSU gets a win of course! :nod:

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
As most of you know, I'm in New Orleans now and I don't really get a chance to see the Kats live anymore. Just too tough with work on Sundays. Today was one of two, if not more opprotunities for me to see the Kats and I was impressed...

I don't even think this team is playing at it's best because I think Hicks is consistently becoming a better player at the QB position. Having a very capable back in DD Terry who had three TDs and 176 yards definitely makes a difference. He's a big play back who can break out in the open when given a chance...

All those turnovers forced by SHSU's defense or coughed up by Nicholls, wow. This game could've been worse, easily. There was atleast one TD called back and the Kats had Nicholls pinned deep in Nicholls territory before two penalties erased two third downs. Kats missed a FG as well.

This was the biggest I-AA win (in terms of margin) for the Kats since Dustin Long was QB and the fact of the matter is, this is the defense stepping up, not the offense, though the offense is easily showing signs of greatness, though nothing consistent.

I think the biggest question before the season was running back. Well, the running back is not an issue at all. In fact, I think DD Terry is right up there in the top two of the SLC. The special teams could use some more work in terms of the field goal kicking, but I was very satifised with our kickoffs, punting and kick returning.

That's my two cents...hope that the rest of the SLC can check out the Kats this week when we play UCA and try to give us a non-bias opinion. The UCA game isn't a conference game obviously, but I think SHSU needs to really step it up and play solid once more there as they'll need to get some good work together as the McNeese game on the 28th in Huntsville is really going to tell us what exactly we can expect from the Bearkats...

slycat
October 14th, 2006, 10:07 PM
the slc just keeps getting crazier. texas st win over mcneese st. sela over nwst.

3 in a row!!!!!!!!!!:hurray: :hurray:

texas st looked fantastic tonight IMO. they could improve in three areas though. production off turnovers, special teams coverage, and wrapping up on tackles. the raod win was key.

shsu still looks like the team to beat though.

blackfordpu
October 14th, 2006, 10:53 PM
the slc just keeps getting crazier. texas st win over mcneese st. sela over nwst.

3 in a row!!!!!!!!!!:hurray: :hurray:

texas st looked fantastic tonight IMO. they could improve in three areas though. production off turnovers, special teams coverage, and wrapping up on tackles. the raod win was key.

shsu still looks like the team to beat though.

I was shocked to see that Tx State had knocked off the Cowboys at "The Hole"!:eek:

What is going on in the SLC?

Lionsrking
October 14th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I was shocked to see that Tx State had knocked off the Cowboys at "The Hole"!:eek:

Not that big of surprise really other than the fact Texas State had been struggling to find themselves. I had the Bobcats winning this one 34-21 or somewhere in that area. Sounds like they found themselves tonight.

Dallas Demon
October 14th, 2006, 11:46 PM

It's a really REALLY down year with the Southland with the exception of possibly Sam Houston. The Kats have a chance to have a good season as long as they don't collapse in some form or fashion. You never know in this league until the season is over.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Updated standings...

Sam Houston State 2-0 4-2
Stephen F. Austin 1-0 1-5
Texas State 1-1 2-4
Nicholls State 1-1 2-4
Southeastern Louisiana 1-1 2-5
McNeese State 0-1 2-4
Northwestern State 0-2 2-4

This week's games...
UCA @ SHSU - Non-conference (Thurs)
McN (0-1) @ SFA (1-0)
SELA (1-1) @ TxSt (1-1)
NWST (0-2) @ Nich (1-1)

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM
SHSU falls to UCA tonight...

A non-conference game, but this really could impact SHSU in a very positive or very negative light...

Time will tell...

Busy weekend in the SLC ahead...

McN (0-1) @ SFA (1-0)
SELA (1-1) @ TxSt (1-1)
NWST (0-2) @ Nich (1-1)

slycat
October 19th, 2006, 11:23 PM
i wonder if bomar will be back for the next game. IMO he deserves to be out for the season but the way the NCAA handled the UM-FIU fight im sure he'll be back.

i saw on katfans a lot of people were turning on hicks. his first bad game of the year and ya'll are throwing the towel in. i still think the guy is a good qb.

Lionsrking
October 19th, 2006, 11:37 PM
i wonder if bomar will be back for the next game. IMO he deserves to be out for the season but the way the NCAA handled the UM-FIU fight im sure he'll be back.

i saw on katfans a lot of people were turning on hicks. his first bad game of the year and ya'll are throwing the towel in. i still think the guy is a good qb.

I agree he should be done for the year. What I found disturbing during the broadcast tonight was the announcers saying how he made a MISTAKE. To me, a "mistake" is when you go out with a bunch of buddies, have a few too many, and get into a fight or get a DWI. What Bomar did was a pre-meditated, violation of NCAA rules and I'm willing to bet he would have continued to rake in the cash had they not gotten caught.

TexasTerror
October 22nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
Southland Conf All
Sam Houston State 2-0 4-3
Texas State 2-1 3-4
Nicholls State 1-2 2-5
McNeese State 1-1 3-4
Stephen F. Austin 1-1 1-6
Northwestern State 1-2 3-4
Southeastern Louisiana 1-2 2-6

Next Week:

1-1 McN @ 2-0 SHSU
2-1 TxSt @ 1-2 NWST
1-1 SFA @ 1-2 SELA

Dallas Demon
October 22nd, 2006, 02:41 AM
Northwestern St. is 3-4 overall.

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2006, 09:37 AM
"POOP" FLOATS.......ONE O' YA'LL WILL RISE TA DUH OCCASION..:nod:..AWK!

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Another big week in the SLC begins tommorrow...

1-1 McN @ 2-0 SHSU
2-1 TxSt @ 1-2 NWST
1-1 SFA @ 1-2 SELA

Depending on how things shakeup, we could have three teams tied at 2-1 (SHSU, McN and SFA) and in first place. That'd really be a mess. Of course, TxSt can get ahead of the game at 3-1 with a win over NWST and a SHSU loss...

Ultimately, SHSU controls their own destiny. Everyone else does not control their destiny, atleast at this point...as TXST has SFA to worry about, McN has TXST to worry about, etc, etc. That can possibly change this weekend...especially if TXST wins and SFA loses...

Lionsrking
October 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM

1-1 McN @ 2-0 SHSU
2-1 TxSt @ 1-2 NWST
1-1 SFA @ 1-2 SELA

Depending on how things shakeup, we could have three teams tied at 2-1 (SHSU, McN and SFA) and in first place. That'd really be a mess. Of course, TxSt can get ahead of the game at 3-1 with a win over NWST and a SHSU loss...

Ultimately, SHSU controls their own destiny. Everyone else does not control their destiny, atleast at this point...as TXST has SFA to worry about, McN has TXST to worry about, etc, etc. That can possibly change this weekend...especially if TXST wins and SFA loses...

Two losses will win it this year and there will probably be at least a three way tie. Just my opinion.

McNeese75
October 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM

1-1 McN @ 2-0 SHSU
2-1 TxSt @ 1-2 NWST
1-1 SFA @ 1-2 SELA

McNeese does NOT have Tx State to worry about. A Co-Championship with anyone but SFA or SELU and the Cowboys get the autobid.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
McNeese does NOT have Tx State to worry about. A Co-Championship with anyone but SFA or SELU and the Cowboys get the autobid.

:confused: :confused: :confused: why is this? we won the head-to-head, much like last year when nicholls (who beat us) got the auto-bid by courtesy of the head-to-head tie-breaker.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 05:25 PM

If McN shares with TXST, the 'Cats get the auto-bid in similar fashion to NWST over SHSU in 2004 and Nicholls over TXST in 2005...

Did something change?

McNeese72
October 27th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Only if it is a three way tie that head to head competition isn't able to provide a winner of the autobid. If it is a two way tie, head to head competition will decide who gets the autobid.

Doc

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
If it is a two way tie, head to head competition will decide who gets the autobid.

Exactly, so McN's fate lies in the hands of TxSt...

A two-way tie is very likely. A three-way tie is less likely...

Purple Pride
October 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM
This is kinda confusing.:nonono2:

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2006, 09:46 PM
This is kinda confusing.:nonono2:

Basically...

Two-way tie equals the head to head winner getting the SLC auto-bid...

A three-way tie would first be determined by head to head (if a team went 2-0 against the other two) and if that's not the case, the team with the longest time out of the I-AA playoffs, would go base on when their last bid (auto or at-large) was...

Purple Pride
October 27th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Basically...

Two-way tie equals the head to head winner getting the SLC auto-bid...

A three-way tie would first be determined by head to head (if a team went 2-0 against the other two) and if that's not the case, the team with the longest time out of the I-AA playoffs, would go base on when their last bid (auto or at-large) was...
Oh....I see now.

McNeese75
October 28th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Exactly, so McN's fate lies in the hands of TxSt...

A two-way tie is very likely. A three-way tie is less likely...

I stand corrected :)

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 06:57 AM
The question remains...

Will this week show any seperation? If SHSU loses to McN, which is a decent possibility and TXST loses to NWST, which could happen as well, this league will be back to square one once more...

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Someone needs to step up this week.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Through one game today. The SLC race is getting a bit more interesting. A SHSU win and SFA loss would put Kats two games ahead of the rest. We may have some seperation OR we may not...

Southland Conf All
Sam Houston State 2-0 4-3
Northwestern State 2-2 4-4
Texas State 2-2 3-5
McNeese State 1-1 3-4
Nicholls State 1-2 3-5

This Week:

NICH 44-0 ASSUMPTION
1-1 McN @ 2-0 SHSU
1-1 SFA @ 1-2 SELA
TxSt (2-2) 10 - 19 NWST (2-2)

Next Week
NICH 1-2 @ TXST 2-2 (Thurs)
NWST @ OLE MISS - OOC
SELA @ McN
SHSU @ SFA

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
The mess continues to rear it's head...we have two teams tied at 2-1 and we could very well have a third, SFA, if they can pull out a win against SELA...one more SLC game to go tonight...

Southland Conf All
McNeese State 2-1 4-4
Sam Houston State 2-1 4-4
Texas State 2-2 3-5
Nicholls State 1-2 3-5

This Week:

NICH 44-0 ASSUMPTION
McN (2-1) 31-18 SHSU (2-1)
1-1 SFA @ 1-2 SELA
TxSt (2-2) 10 - 19 NWST (2-2)

Next Week
NWST @ OLE MISS - OOC
SELA @ McN 2-1
SHSU 2-1 @ SFA

JohnStOnge
October 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I hate to say this because I don't want to jinx anything but I'll try to fight superstition. The team that controls its own destiny after tonight is McNeese because the Cowboys beat the other two current one loss teams head to head.

I think it'd take some luck for McNeese to win out. It's not a dominant team and can be beaten by anybody in the conference. But it's the only Southland team that can say, as of this moment, "If we win out, we're in."

Of course, a few hours ago Sam Houston State was in that position. Things can change very quickly.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I think it'd take some luck for McNeese to win out. It's not a dominant team and can be beaten by anybody in the conference. But it's the only Southland team that can say, as of this moment, "If we win out, we're in."

McNeese does have a pretty favorable schedule...

Home games against SELA and Nicholls St in 'The Hole'...with the lone road game being a trip to Northwestern St, which will be a tough foe for the Pokes...

There's atleast two wins in there. There are many who have been predicting the last week or two that the SLC winner will have two conference losses. That wouldn't surprise me...we'll lose another one-loss squad when SHSU tackles SFA next week...

JohnStOnge
October 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
McNeese does have a pretty favorable schedule...

Home games against SELA and Nicholls St in 'The Hole'...with the lone road game being a trip to Northwestern St, which will be a tough foe for the Pokes...

There's atleast two wins in there. There are many who have been predicting the last week or two that the SLC winner will have two conference losses. That wouldn't surprise me...we'll lose another one-loss squad when SHSU tackles SFA next week...

Southeastern has had McNeese's number and...no offense to anyone else...but I think Northwestern State's got the best team physically in the conference. I think the Demons are in the position they're in because they make a lot of mistakes. If McNeese can somehow get by Southeastern at home and Northwestern State on the road and get to a final game at home against Nicholls State with a playoff berth on the line I'll feel pretty good about their chances. But that is a huge "if."

buckp
October 28th, 2006, 09:46 PM
You have to admit - SLC this year is fun! :nod:

JohnStOnge
October 28th, 2006, 09:53 PM
You have to admit - SLC this year is fun! :nod:

Nah. To me it was more fun during those years when McNeese was clearly the best team and the odds on favorite to win the championship. Then, usually, even if they got upset and didn't win the championship to get the automatic bid they'd go no worse than 8-3 and get into the playoffs.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2006, 09:59 PM
SFA is going to win this one...

Three teams at 2-1...

Southland Conf All
McNeese State 2-1 4-4
Stephen F. Austin 2-1 2-6
Texas State 2-2 3-5
Nicholls State 1-2 3-5
Southeastern Louisiana 1-3 2-7

Next Week
NWST @ OLE MISS - OOC
SELA 1-3 @ McN 2-1
SHSU 2-1 @ SFA 2-1

Retro
October 28th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Southeastern has had McNeese's number and...no offense to anyone else...but I think Northwestern State's got the best team physically in the conference. I think the Demons are in the position they're in because they make a lot of mistakes. If McNeese can somehow get by Southeastern at home and Northwestern State on the road and get to a final game at home against Nicholls State with a playoff berth on the line I'll feel pretty good about their chances. But that is a huge "if."

John, You have to look at the situation when talking about SELA.. They obviously beat a young overmatched Mcneese team in 2004, but last year was totally different.. Mcneese clearly had a good team last season, but the hurricane just messed all their early momentum and despite that, the team still missed the playoffs by only one game..

That being said, SELA beat a down and mentally drained team last season in hammond.. I saw the game and it was clear they played their worst game againest a team they should have beaten.. They stayed at their (sela) condemned dorms for a month, then were told they weren't going home right after the game, just before the game, even though earlier in the week they thought they were.. Doesn't sound like much, but clearly their play showed it.

Your always so negative about the team and how many games do actually attend to make a fair obervation?

JohnStOnge
October 28th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I think McNeese is the favorite to beat Southeastern. But the Cowboys have no margin for error and they have not matched up well with Southeastern's style during the past two games. I did not attend either of those games but I watched them both on television.

I think the toughest opponent they have left is Northwestern State. But I think every game will be a real challenge.

I went to the South Dakota State and Southern Utah games and I saw the South Florida, Toledo, and Texas State games on TV. McNeese is not a dominant team. In particular, it is very soft against the run on defense and that's a pretty serious deficiency. Even if I hadn't seen the games I've seen I could tell that because other I-AA teams have averaged 4.9 yards per rush against them. Though the Cowboys won tonight, they gave up 216 yards and better than 5 yards per carry.

That's not being negative, that's just being realistic. I'm not saying it can't be overcome...but this is a team that's likely to be in a dogfight every game and it's got to win three in a row to win the league and get into the playoffs. Believe me, I'm pulling for the Cowboys to do that but this is not a dominant team.

JohnStOnge
October 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
BTW, though I've seen McNeese play this year, I think it's very possible to make judgements about a team just by looking at the numbers. If you see a team that's ranked 86th in I-AA in run defense PLUS see that their stats against other I-AAs are actually worse than their stats overall (4.26 yards per carry and 166 yards per game given up overall vs. 4.9 yards per carry and 184.6 yards per game against other I-AAs), you don't have to see them play to know they've got a serious problem in that area.

I'm not focusing on you in particular, but I do get kind of piqued over the "see them play" thing. I haven't seen Temple play and I know they're pretty bad in the context of I-A. I haven't seen Buffalo play either and I know they're pretty bad in the context of I-A too. Sure, seeing a team play adds some information. But the results they achieve in terms of the scores of the games and the details of their offensive and defensive statistics in the context of who they've played tells you an awful lot.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2006, 10:31 AM
McN @ NWST will be the game that determines the conference title. That's to me, the only major roadblock for McN from here on out. I think they'll win at home against a SELA team (that got beaten by 25 at home by SFA) and if the SLC title/autobid is on the line, a home game at Nicholls won't be that much of a problem.

Nicholls has toughest stretch left with roadies at TXST (on TV!) and at McN in addition to a home game against SFA. Hard pressed go 2-1. 1-2 is more likely...

SHSU should beat SFA. Haven't lost in Nacogdoches since 1998 and SHSU slaughtered them last year with the largest margin of victory in the series history with their worst team in recent memory. SELA is a toss-up because it's a road game in Hammond, though SHSU has had their number since they came back. I'll be there if that counts for anything! :) Then, the TXST game is a toss-up especially if the game has any SLC title implications involved. In a toss-up, you go with the home team, but I can see either team winning that one.

Two losses wins the SLC? Not going to surprise me at this point. As noted, SHSU or SFA will fall from the one loss mark next week. This is going to be fun!

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Factoid from the SHSU release:

In 42 years of Southland football, only one team has ever won the league championship with two losses. That team was Sam Houston in 1991 when the Bearkats (5-2) and McNeese State (4-1-2) were co-champions.

Spooney-Cat
October 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
TexasTerror, I'm right with you on the 2-loss wagon. I really think we could see it happen this year.

This year has been very strange for the SLC. Nobody is really better than anyone else, or at least not playing up to their potential.

Whatever, I'm excited to watch how this pans out. I just hope that we can take care of Nicholls on TV!! at home this Thursday. I really thought we were hitting a stride, and with a win against NwSt. sitting in the drivers seat.

Oh the what if's again....tis tis.

JohnStOnge
October 30th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Factoid from the SHSU release:

In 42 years of Southland football, only one team has ever won the league championship with two losses. That team was Sam Houston in 1991 when the Bearkats (5-2) and McNeese State (4-1-2) were co-champions.

And means that no team has ever gotten the league's automatic bid with two losses; since McNeese got it that year with the two ties.

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Regardless of what happens this weekend, Nicholls St will only be one game out of the SLC race. Nicholls owns wins over TXST and SELA. Losses to SHSU and NWST.

Southland Conf All
McNeese State 2-1 4-4
Stephen F. Austin 2-1 2-6
Nicholls State 2-2 4-5
Texas State 2-3 3-6

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Updated standings...

Southland Conf All
Sam Houston State 3-1 5-4
McNeese State 2-1 4-4
Stephen F. Austin 2-2 2-6
Northwestern State 2-2 4-5
Nicholls State 2-2 4-5
Texas State 2-3 3-6

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Biggest game this coming week is McN @ NWST...followed closely by SFA @ NICH...predictions will come out tommorrow... :)

Updated standings...

Southland Conf All
McNeese State 3-1 5-4
Sam Houston State 3-1 5-4
Stephen F. Austin 2-2 2-6
Northwestern State 2-2 4-5
Nicholls State 2-2 4-5
Texas State 2-3 3-6
Southeastern Louisiana 1-4 2-8

Next Week:

SHSU 3-1 @ 1-4 SELA
SFA 2-2 @ 2-2 NICH
TxSo @ TxSt - OOC
McN 3-1 @ 2-2 NWST

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Kats can't look past the Lions. A very dangerous, explosive team.

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Next Week:

SHSU 3-1 @ 1-4 SELA
SFA 2-2 @ 2-2 NICH
TxSo @ TxSt - OOC
McN 3-1 @ 2-2 NWST

Texas Southern is traveling to Tx State?

Lionsrking
November 5th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Kats can't look past the Lions. A very dangerous, explosive team.

I would like to think that's true but we've got to figure out a way to get over the catastrophe syndrome. I'm sure with being the last game of the year, we'll come out loose and let it all hang out.

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM
The SLC football report from last night via Southland Athletics...

http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110506aaa.html

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Standings Conference Overall

McNeese State 4-1 6-4
Sam Houston State 4-1 6-4
Stephen F. Austin 3-2 3-7
Nicholls State 2-3 4-6
Northwestern State 2-3 4-6
Texas State 2-3 4-6
Southeastern Louisiana 1-5 2-9

NWST 2-3 @ 3-2 SFA - Thurs
TXST 2-3 @ 4-1 SHSU
NICH 2-3 @ 4-1 McN

McN win, SHSU win clinches SLC title for both and McN auto bid.
McN win, SHSU loss clinches outright SLC title and McN auto bid.
SHSU win and McN loss clinches outright SLC title and auto bid.