PDA

View Full Version : Furman/UNC postgame thoughts

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Holy snot. What a game. I sat there and pulled hard for the Paladins in a sports bar firmly set in SEC country. I was, you might say, a bit out numbered.

I think it is official to say that the Furman offense is legit. Gray had one heck of a game, throwing for (I think) over 300 yrds. I believe that Furman also put up over 500 yrds of offense on the Tar Heels. Option game looked great, Felton looked great, Gray looked unstoppable, Gipson shifty, and the trio of Stepp/Sprague/Webb very solid.

Defense looked a little less good. I said before the game that the way UNC would beat us would be to use their size advantage at WR, which was exactly what they did. The Tarheels have, I am positive, the best offensive line the Paladins will face and was pushing the boys in white back much of the night. Too many long plays were conceded. Too many 3 and 10s given up. However, that said, I am hardly worried about the Furman defense going into the conference schedule.

I was suprised at the amount of yellow flags thrown. Furman is typically a pretty disciplined team. There were a few calls I considered questionable at best.

The first quarter was the killer. UNC had a 14-0 lead before the fans sat down. Our kickoff return has to get a bit better. In watching the game, I think Furman outplayed UNC and probably should have won that game. However, that isn't always the way of it.

Very proud of the Paladins. I was a bit out before, but this game showed me we are going to be tough to stop this year.

Go Paladins!

thirdgendin
September 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Good thoughts. I agree with your assessments, and I feel MUCH better about this team than I did after last week. The real test begins next week against Western Carolina. Hopefully the injuries sustained tonight (Jones, Felton, Webb, etc.) won't be severe.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM
From what I saw, they were all up and moving. Felton even had his helmet back on.

Final count is 527 yrds of offense for the Paladins. geez.

Toppermaniac
September 16th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Holy snot. What a game. I sat there and pulled hard for the Paladins in a sports bar firmly set in SEC country. I was, you might say, a bit out numbered.

I think it is official to say that the Furman offense is legit. Gray had one heck of a game, throwing for (I think) over 300 yrds. I believe that Furman also put up over 500 yrds of offense on the Tar Heels. Option game looked great, Felton looked great, Gray looked unstoppable, Gipson shifty, and the trio of Stepp/Sprague/Webb very solid.

Defense looked a little less good. I said before the game that the way UNC would beat us would be to use their size advantage at WR, which was exactly what they did. The Tarheels have, I am positive, the best offensive line the Paladins will face and was pushing the boys in white back much of the night. Too many long plays were conceded. Too many 3 and 10s given up. However, that said, I am hardly worried about the Furman defense going into the conference schedule.

I was suprised at the amount of yellow flags thrown. Furman is typically a pretty disciplined team. There were a few calls I considered questionable at best.

The first quarter was the killer. UNC had a 14-0 lead before the fans sat down. Our kickoff return has to get a bit better. In watching the game, I think Furman outplayed UNC and probably should have won that game. However, that isn't always the way of it.

Very proud of the Paladins. I was a bit out before, but this game showed me we are going to be tough to stop this year.

Go Paladins!

Just curious but why in the world would you think anyone in SEC country would support UNC? UNC is in the Officially Biased ACC. I would have to think that any SEC fan would rather pull a rabid moose out of their arse than pull for UNC.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM
The sports bars were packed out with Alabama, UT, and Florida fans. I was the only person watching the UNC/Furman game and on several occsasions had to get uppity with other patrons wanting UT/UF on yet another TV.

Don't worry. Most SEC fans don't even recognize the ACC as a football conference.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Selected Final Statline...

Rushing
Cedrick Gipson 16 87 2 85 1 13 5.3
Jerome Felton 18 67 0 67 4 11 3.7

Passing
Renaldo Gray 26-20-0 310 1 49 2

JMU1992
September 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM
It's kind of funny going over to a couple of the UNC message boards and seeing a lot of them saying they should have blwon out Furman, and they are embarrased about the win. What is it they have seen in their team this year to make them think they would blow out anyone this year? I guess it's probably more of a case of ignorance of the quality of a very good I-AA team.

ngineer
September 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Good Effort Paladins. Too bad y'all came up short. I picked you to pull it off. Should be a good building block for the remainder of the year...

Ronald Sconyers
September 17th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I agree with PFan. We played our hearts out. And as much as I hate blaming bad officiating for a loss, there was some seriously bad officiating last night. I counted at least 6 different baltant holds by UNC that were not called, and, let me tell you, they called everything they could on FU. And the reversal of the on-side kick? Could they be more biased? My God! Could we have scored in 10 seconds? I don't know and thanks to the lousy ACC officials, noone ever will. I guess the only good thing about that reversal is that we didn't have to get our hopes up that Beckler would make the kick. LOL. I was also in a sportsbar, but with mostly ACC fans watching the Clemson/Fl. State game. Near the end, almost all of them were cheering on FU, and saying how glad they were that they didn't schedule us this year. One guy kept asking, "How'd you guys get Felton? He should be playing for us!".

GeauxColonels
September 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
The sports bars were packed out with Alabama, UT, and Florida fans. I was the only person watching the UNC/Furman game and on several occsasions had to get uppity with other patrons wanting UT/UF on yet another TV.

Don't worry. Most SEC fans don't even recognize the ACC as a football conference.
I was wondering the same thing.

So they weren't necessarily against Furman beating North Carolina, they just wanted the same game on like 20 TVs?

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM
bingo.

I was just lucky enough to have a game that didn't interfere with the LSU/Auburn game.