PDA

View Full Version : Hitting in Football

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 20th, 2013, 04:06 PM
What are your opinions on hitting in todays game?

I dont want you to consider the rules when stating your opinion, just how you feel about what is happening in todays game.

I only want serious answers from true fans of the game, people like Grizo that think a football poll is "something you might see in the locker room" need not respond.

citdog
August 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM
the hitting is fine.......the tackling SUCKS.

ngineer
August 20th, 2013, 04:48 PM
"Gotta spread some rep around..." Well stated. All we see is players launching their bodies at runners/receivers. Has also lead to alot more head injuries. The 'improvements' to the helmet have made it a weapon rather than a protective device, and the coaching changed years ago with 'sticking the head in the numbers'. Much better to suffer a shoulder separation than a fractured vertebrae.

heath
August 20th, 2013, 05:21 PM
The new rules are taking hitting out of today's game. Football was always meant to be a tough physical game that does involve injuries/concussions/Theismann breaks etc.I have seen way too many flags in the last few years that are legal hits,but because of today's wussified generation, are being called by refs because of the pressure they feel.What the hell is a " defenseless receiver? All receivers are defenseless if they are focused on the ball and in air. Guess CB/safety should stop and let them catch the ball then try to make up ground chasing the receiver down.We are starting to loose the game so many of us love. There are risks to every sport,don't like your chances, don't play

heath
August 20th, 2013, 05:24 PM
"Gotta spread some rep around..." Well stated. All we see is players launching their bodies at runners/receivers. Has also lead to alot more head injuries. The 'improvements' to the helmet have made it a weapon rather than a protective device, and the coaching changed years ago with 'sticking the head in the numbers'. Much better to suffer a shoulder separation than a fractured vertebrae.

What happens when the defense starts to focus on the knees of a QB/WR/RB and ruptures their ACL. Player gone for the season,dirty but legal hit,are you happy?

citdog
August 20th, 2013, 05:44 PM
What happens when the defense starts to focus on the knees of a QB/WR/RB and ruptures their ACL. Player gone for the season,dirty but legal hit,are you happy?

Elon vs Appy?

Bill
August 20th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I know it's the NFL, but here you go:
I cut & paste this from Yahoo sports....

The NFL has done a lot to protect players from head injuries, mostly by constant discipline for players who hit ball-carriers high.

Putting that thought into the heads of defensive players might have led to Miami tight end Dustin Keller suffering a horrible knee injury on Saturday night.

Houston rookie safety D.J. Swearinger hit Keller low as Keller tried to bring in a pass, and he hit Keller on the knee with devastating results. Keller is out for the season. ESPN reported Keller tore his ACL, PCL and MCL, and also dislocated his knee. The Miami Herald reported doctors fear nerve damage in the knee as well. This injury could possibly end Keller's career.

Swearinger said he went low on Keller because going high often draws a fine.

“I was making a hit playing football,” Swearinger told the Palm Beach Post. “In this league you’ve got to go low. If you go high you’re going to get a fine.”

Swearinger went on to say the league's focus on protecting heads and not knees is wrong.

“The rules say you can’t hit high so I went low and I’m sorry that happened,” Swearinger told the Palm Beach Post. “I would think you’d rather have more concussions than leg injuries. Leg injury, you can’t come back from that. A concussion, you be back in a couple in a couple of weeks.”

While his comments sound a little callous after Keller suffered a season-ending injury (in a contract year, no less), and his line about coming back from a concussion shows some ignorance to the plight of players who have been out far longer than a couple weeks with a concussion, this is what defensive players have argued about for years.

In many ways, they are in a no-win situation. They can't go high, for fear of hitting a receiver just wrong in a split-second decision and getting fined. But if they go low, as Swearinger did on Keller, they can also get blamed for a dirty hit if an injury occurs, which happened with Keller.

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2013, 06:00 PM
When you tackle somebody, ideally, your facemask, your shoulderpads and your arms should all come into contact with him at the same time....If that happens, the helmet and shoulderpads take the lick and the chances of injury are pretty slim, even with crazy intense impacts...

When guys purposefully try to lead with the heads, you see concussions, neck injuries, etc...

The running attacks and running blocks have changed. In the old days most running teams perfected the cut off block. You took your backside shoulder and you put it on the defenders play side hip and you cut him off. If he stood up, rather than tried to meet you pad on pad, he got driven back....The offensive line was heavy handed....as in this pic from 1985...

Now, it's a lost art practiced only by the Ga. Southerns, Georgia Techs and the service academies of the world.....

The game's changed....you don't have the same level of hitting you once had. Heavy handed linemen who fired out resulted in the need for a quick and physical defensive line who could play technique and read the blockers hat. The linebackers read an entirely different set of keys then and there was more emphasis on the ability to deliver a blow that would stop an offenisve lineman and allow them to make a tackle...now it's all about running around the block or getting mismatches....even strong safeties back in the day were more physical, in my opinion, than they are now....when's the last time you saw a strong safety come up and take on an offensive lineman effectivel....or...when's the last time you saw much in the way of pulling and leading downfield?? Now, you've got big guys who can't get down into an effective stance are basically sumo wrestling and dancing...it's a different game...

darell1976
August 20th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I know it's the NFL, but here you go:
I cut & paste this from Yahoo sports....

The NFL has done a lot to protect players from head injuries, mostly by constant discipline for players who hit ball-carriers high.

Putting that thought into the heads of defensive players might have led to Miami tight end Dustin Keller suffering a horrible knee injury on Saturday night.

Houston rookie safety D.J. Swearinger hit Keller low as Keller tried to bring in a pass, and he hit Keller on the knee with devastating results. Keller is out for the season. ESPN reported Keller tore his ACL, PCL and MCL, and also dislocated his knee. The Miami Herald reported doctors fear nerve damage in the knee as well. This injury could possibly end Keller's career.

Swearinger said he went low on Keller because going high often draws a fine.

“I was making a hit playing football,” Swearinger told the Palm Beach Post. “In this league you’ve got to go low. If you go high you’re going to get a fine.”

Swearinger went on to say the league's focus on protecting heads and not knees is wrong.

“The rules say you can’t hit high so I went low and I’m sorry that happened,” Swearinger told the Palm Beach Post. “I would think you’d rather have more concussions than leg injuries. Leg injury, you can’t come back from that. A concussion, you be back in a couple in a couple of weeks.”

While his comments sound a little callous after Keller suffered a season-ending injury (in a contract year, no less), and his line about coming back from a concussion shows some ignorance to the plight of players who have been out far longer than a couple weeks with a concussion, this is what defensive players have argued about for years.

In many ways, they are in a no-win situation. They can't go high, for fear of hitting a receiver just wrong in a split-second decision and getting fined. But if they go low, as Swearinger did on Keller, they can also get blamed for a dirty hit if an injury occurs, which happened with Keller.

As a Dolphins fan it sucks what happened to our TE, and I should be outraged at the Texan who most likely ended Keller's career...but he is right. You go high you get fined, so you have to hit the player that will make him go down and without a fine. Only I wished it wasn't in preseason. At least in a game that meant something you have a different tone, but in rookie tryouts (which i all NFL preseason) its all for nothing. I hope Keller can come back, but as you are seeing a lot in the NFL this season is everyone getting banged up, why? Too soft on practices? Rookies or 3rd stringers trying to impress the coach on a big hit? I guess thats why you have a big team with depth, someone goes down you have to step up.

BEAR
August 20th, 2013, 06:21 PM
My son plays for an Optimist Club football team. His coaches teach him to tackle low with his head on the same side as the football. Wrap up the legs and bring him down.
College football players these days just somehow forget that.
NFL players get paid to forget it and just "hit" as hard as they can to "wow" the crowds.

My son has played for over 5 years, flag football to tackle, and I'm impressed with how the coaches are repetitively teaching fundamental tackling. College coaches shouldn't have to teach it. NFL coaches better not be teaching it.

Refs shouldn't have to make a call that involves improper tackling. We gotta teach them better earlier.

Bisonoline
August 20th, 2013, 07:03 PM
What are your opinions on hitting in todays game?

I dont want you to consider the rules when stating your opinion, just how you feel about what is happening in todays game.

I only want serious answers from true fans of the game, people like Grizo that think a football poll is "something you might see in the locker room" need not respond.

The hitting is fine. The problem is they have gotten away from basic fundamentals. The show boats go for the big blow up tackle to prove how bad they are. Problem is if you miss its 6 points. Teach proper tacking technique and you wont have problems with the new helmet to helmet rules.

Brad82
August 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
First step is minimizing it in practice.
Meaning lots of seniors with talent,coming to camp in great shape.
Spring football needs to be mandatory at high school level with year round weight training.
Just my first thoughts to this great question.

heath
August 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
My son plays for an Optimist Club football team. His coaches teach him to tackle low with his head on the same side as the football. Wrap up the legs and bring him down.
College football players these days just somehow forget that.
NFL players get paid to forget it and just "hit" as hard as they can to "wow" the crowds.

My son has played for over 5 years, flag football to tackle, and I'm impressed with how the coaches are repetitively teaching fundamental tackling. College coaches shouldn't have to teach it. NFL coaches better not be teaching it.

Refs shouldn't have to make a call that involves improper tackling. We gotta teach them better earlier.

"Improper Tackling"? I fell sorry for your son and you if you enjoy TACKLE FOOTBALL. To compare club and flag to the big boys is a big reach. You have been indoctrinated by the whole problem. Teaching 80-100 lb's to tackle when most will never play a varsity football game is a waste. High school and college coaches DO teach fundamentals everyday at practice. What is you definition of an improper tackle?xlolx You and your son find a less aggressive sportxeyebrowx

PAllen
August 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM

It's already happened in the NFL. You can't touch a QB's head, shoulders or anything below the waist, can't fall on him.... Heck, D Linemen get flagged for pushing QBs too hard with both hands to the chest.

My biggest issue is with the technique that is not only condoned, but rewarded today. Launching yourself while leading with the crown of your helmet into the opposing player makes it on the highlight reel and gets you more playing time. It also exposes you to a broken neck like the HS kid who died last week. "Blowing up" the ball carrier is dangerous to the tackler and is not the best way to bring the ball carrier down, but if you don't do it, then you don't get a scholarship offer from anyone.

clenz
August 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM
If you can't make a tackle without going to the head or knees you're doing it so wrong it's not funny.

Though, everyone else that said "players have to go low" are correct. It's sad when it gets taken to the extreme and in stead of hitting at the waste they go for knees...Especially on players who are torching them and effectively end that players mobility.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wcfcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/2d/02ddfa26-16de-58e3-8075-010ac4d3993d/02ddfa26-16de-58e3-8075-010ac4d3993d.preview-300.jpg

*Note...I'm not singling NDSU out. That is a picture I know where to find to make my point. Though in the context of the game I don't think the hit had "good intentions".

Saint3333
August 20th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Agree with citdog. Two words, form tackling.

clenz
August 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I'll also add UNI would likely add at least 1 win per year if our secondary/lb's could figure out tackling is more than launching your shoulder into the side of someone and hoping it knocks them down...

I've watched our secondary miss more tackles the last 3 years than any other teams 3 years stretch in history.

Bisonoline
August 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM
When you tackle somebody, ideally, your facemask, your shoulderpads and your arms should all come into contact with him at the same time....If that happens, the helmet and shoulderpads take the lick and the chances of injury are pretty slim, even with crazy intense impacts...

When guys purposefully try to lead with the heads, you see concussions, neck injuries, etc...

The running attacks and running blocks have changed. In the old days most running teams perfected the cut off block. You took your backside shoulder and you put it on the defenders play side hip and you cut him off. If he stood up, rather than tried to meet you pad on pad, he got driven back....The offensive line was heavy handed....as in this pic from 1985...

Now, it's a lost art practiced only by the Ga. Southerns, Georgia Techs and the service academies of the world.....

The game's changed....you don't have the same level of hitting you once had. Heavy handed linemen who fired out resulted in the need for a quick and physical defensive line who could play technique and read the blockers hat. The linebackers read an entirely different set of keys then and there was more emphasis on the ability to deliver a blow that would stop an offenisve lineman and allow them to make a tackle...now it's all about running around the block or getting mismatches....even strong safeties back in the day were more physical, in my opinion, than they are now....when's the last time you saw a strong safety come up and take on an offensive lineman effectivel....or...when's the last time you saw much in the way of pulling and leading downfield?? Now, you've got big guys who can't get down into an effective stance are basically sumo wrestling and dancing...it's a different game...

The zone blocking scheme had much to do with it. There a time when you actually made holes for the back to run through now they look for a seam to gash.

Pard4Life
August 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I have seen too many players go for a hit to try and make it look spectacular and cunning, which is making the game more dangerous. And I'm not sure if it's a result of fundamentals not being emphasized and enforced (ie I don't know how to tackle correctly so I'll just throw myself), trying to look like a tough guy bad boy, or watching too many highlight reels.

It's the tackling that sucks, which is making the hitting dangerous.

I've seen it at Lafayette games... guys try to knock ball carriers down by just nudging them with their shoulder or throwing themselves at their legs. Seriously??

As for high hits.. those are punk plays.

Ironically, is less contact in practice leading to poor tackling technique in games? And more dangerous hits?

Pard4Life
August 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM
The new rules are taking hitting out of today's game. Football was always meant to be a tough physical game that does involve injuries/concussions/Theismann breaks etc.I have seen way too many flags in the last few years that are legal hits,but because of today's wussified generation, are being called by refs because of the pressure they feel.What the hell is a " defenseless receiver? All receivers are defenseless if they are focused on the ball and in air. Guess CB/safety should stop and let them catch the ball then try to make up ground chasing the receiver down.We are starting to loose the game so many of us love. There are risks to every sport,don't like your chances, don't play

Wussified generation? Huh? Wha...? What are you even talking about? The people making these rule changes and enforcing the rules are 50+, not the kids. So sending a player out who has just been knocked stupid and can't remember where he is, is the proper thing to do because it was done 50 years ago? I know that's not exactly what you said but it's the same mentality.

Defenseless receiver? How about having a defender leave his feet, launch himself in the air directly at a reciever about to make a catch, while the defender makes no attempt to play the ball, and the defender aims his head, shoulder at the head or jaw of the receiver. Flag. No question.

Leaving your feet to deliver a shoulder at a defender who just caught a ball and is establishing his feet... flag. Defenseless receiver.

Same scenario but the defender does not leave the ground and slams the receiver in the midsection to break up the play... no flag. Good hit.

UNDBIZ
August 21st, 2013, 07:44 AM
I have seen too many players go for a hit to try and make it look spectacular and cunning, which is making the game more dangerous. And I'm not sure if it's a result of fundamentals not being emphasized and enforced (ie I don't know how to tackle correctly so I'll just throw myself), trying to look like a tough guy bad boy, or watching too many highlight reels.

It's the tackling that sucks, which is making the hitting dangerous.

I've seen it at Lafayette games... guys try to knock ball carriers down by just nudging them with their shoulder or throwing themselves at their legs. Seriously??

As for high hits.. those are punk plays.

Ironically, is less contact in practice leading to poor tackling technique in games? And more dangerous hits?

I blame ESPN.

whoanellie
August 21st, 2013, 08:15 AM
I applaud the "Heads up" initiative and the crackdown on headshots. The biggest aspect is the increase in the total speed of the game.
My prediction in the near future is only that Offense rules will tolerate more Hands or holding and tackling will look like a baseball strike zone.

BEAR
August 21st, 2013, 08:17 AM
"Improper Tackling"? I fell sorry for your son and you if you enjoy TACKLE FOOTBALL. To compare club and flag to the big boys is a big reach. You have been indoctrinated by the whole problem. Teaching 80-100 lb's to tackle when most will never play a varsity football game is a waste. High school and college coaches DO teach fundamentals everyday at practice. What is you definition of an improper tackle?xlolx You and your son find a less aggressive sportxeyebrowx

You're joking right? I'm not talking about tackling in slow motion. Do you teach a kid to tackle with his helmet spearing into another player? If so, you're the type of person that makes this whole thing an issue! There's a reason my son is first team and leads the league in sacks and tackles for loss. He knows how to wrap up and bring a kid to the turf. I can't tell you how many "arm" tackles I've seen get away. But it doesn't surprise me some have the attitude that its just about "hitting" another player.

Let me make my point in another way. I played college basketball. I hit 94% of my freethrows. I learned at an early age that there is a "form" to shooting that shot. That "form" doesn't change through high school, college or the pros.

It's the same with football. I can't say I played it in college but I did through high school and my teammates that got the most praise were the ones that
a) established position
b)didn't launch themselves
c) aggressively wrapped up the opponent
d) and slammed them to the ground.

(and no they weren't standing still to make a tackle)

You might disagree with me on "how" to tackle and that's fine. But "form" tackling has worked for generations and every practice I've been to from high school to college all I've heard from coaches is "that's how you wrap up!" when the kids did it. It's not as flashy as what you'd prefer I'm sure, but my son, now 10 (145lbs and 5'6") has ZERO problem containing the RBs or WR at his DE position. Heck, NDSU in the national championship game showed my son some of the best form tackling he's seen on TV.

But take my perspective as a dad with a 10 year old learning the basics if you want. I just hope he takes those basics to heart throughout his career. Which appears to be a good one.

Go Green
August 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
I blame ESPN.

Yep.

If they just showed scoring plays or incredible catches like Monday Night Football's halftime highlights in the 1970s, it might be a different mentality.

BEAR
August 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Just reread the OP..... are we talking about "tackling" or "hitting" ?

Tackling should be fundamental of course.

Hitting is another issue. Knocking a player out of bounds or hard enough to "not" catch a pass or knock it loose is something different than just tackling.

walliver
August 21st, 2013, 09:59 AM
The problems began when the NCAA decided to make the games more "entertaining" and high scoring. Rules were changed to discourage running plays and encourage passing. Offensive holding was redefined to allow better pass blocking. The hash marks which divided the field into thirds were moved much closer together - this had the effect of making the entire width of the field available to most passers. The result has been offenses that spread the action of the field making ono-on-one matchups the norm creating many more high-speed open field encounters. The crossing pattern is an inherently dangerous pass route, so the NCAA is taking action to make it an even easier pattern to execute as defenders will be hesitant to make the hard hits.

Today's game encourages the "big hit" over the basic tackle.

When was the last time ESPN showed highlights of Jadeveon Clowney making a classic tackle?

heath
August 21st, 2013, 06:22 PM
You're joking right? I'm not talking about tackling in slow motion. Do you teach a kid to tackle with his helmet spearing into another player? If so, you're the type of person that makes this whole thing an issue! There's a reason my son is first team and leads the league in sacks and tackles for loss. He knows how to wrap up and bring a kid to the turf. I can't tell you how many "arm" tackles I've seen get away. But it doesn't surprise me some have the attitude that its just about "hitting" another player.

Let me make my point in another way. I played college basketball. I hit 94% of my freethrows. I learned at an early age that there is a "form" to shooting that shot. That "form" doesn't change through high school, college or the pros.

It's the same with football. I can't say I played it in college but I did through high school and my teammates that got the most praise were the ones that
a) established position
b)didn't launch themselves
c) aggressively wrapped up the opponent
d) and slammed them to the ground.

(and no they weren't standing still to make a tackle)

You might disagree with me on "how" to tackle and that's fine. But "form" tackling has worked for generations and every practice I've been to from high school to college all I've heard from coaches is "that's how you wrap up!" when the kids did it. It's not as flashy as what you'd prefer I'm sure, but my son, now 10 (145lbs and 5'6") has ZERO problem containing the RBs or WR at his DE position. Heck, NDSU in the national championship game showed my son some of the best form tackling he's seen on TV.

But take my perspective as a dad with a 10 year old learning the basics if you want. I just hope he takes those basics to heart throughout his career. Which appears to be a good one.

Jadeveon Clowney made a perfect form tackle in the bowl game vs Michigan. Many thought it should have been a penalty based upon the new rules. Just try not to fall into the wussification crowd and you and your son play hard.xthumbsupx

BEAR
August 21st, 2013, 06:51 PM
Jadeveon Clowney made a perfect form tackle in the bowl game vs Michigan. Many thought it should have been a penalty based upon the new rules. Just try not to fall into the wussification crowd and you and your son play hard.xthumbsupx

No problem there. He came over to the sideline last night and said the kid across from him had "big eyes" and looked scared. xlolx He's already got a ton of confidence in his game and his tackling will only give future coaches confidence in him.

Vitojr130
August 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM

I don't think anyone in my "wussified" generation is in any position of power pertaining to rule changes...