PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth scheduling up

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Monmouth is planning future games vs. FBS opponents - not a good sign for CCSU which is still stuck in the limited scholly NEC :(

Springfield Central senior quarterback Cody Williams has verbally committed to Monmouth University, he told ESPNBoston.com tonight.

The 6-foot-3, 175-pound Williams made his pledge to the Hawks while on an unofficial visit today to the West Long Branch, N.J. campus. He chose Monmouth over the University of Albany, which he last visited this past Wednesday, and also held a scholarship offer from Central Connecticut State (which currently has an offer to one of Williams' teammates, linebacker Kenneth Marshall).
Monmouth is moving into the Big South Conference as a football-only associate member in July 2014. Over the next few seasons, the Hawks will begin series with Syracuse, UConn and Temple -- three other schools that expressed varying degrees of interest in Williams, but did not offer a scholarship at the time of his commitment.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/25638/springfield-centrals-cody-williams-commits-to-monmouth

hebmskebm
August 19th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I'm very curious to see what route the NEC, or the individual NEC schools elect to take in the near future. I've said for some time the partial scholarship model the NEC began in the mid aughts was a temporary band aid for a larger problem. Albany is gone. Monmouth is gone. There are few viable options for expansion in the region. I think a schism is coming between the schools that want to follow Albany/Monmouth into counter status and those that would want to follow Marist and the Pioneer model. In the long run either would be preferable to the no mans land they're in now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 12:39 PM
And I thought Fordham was bad. The biggest question is, WHY?!?!

CFBfan
August 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM

opposite of Lehighs "Only play cupcakes ooc" strategy

Go...gate
August 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Why not?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Why not?

There's zero interest in playing Monmouth. It will be a win in front of 20k? Hopefully? There was quite a bit of moaning on the Temple board about our FCS opponents. Some of it was warranted, some of it moronic ranting. The one thing everyone agreed on was the need for teams to bring fans. As "sad" as it might sound that's were Temple football is right now.

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I think a schism is coming between the schools that want to follow Albany/Monmouth into counter status and those that would want to follow Marist and the Pioneer model. In the long run either would be preferable to the no mans land they're in now.

Schism? I don't see it. One one side...Duquesne, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, Wagner, Bryant and Robert Morris aren't on the CAA's speed dial. (CCSU might like to be the next Albany but that's a ways down the road.)

On the other side... none of these schools need to drop down to Marist's level.

Brad82
August 19th, 2013, 02:06 PM
What about schools like New Haven and Southern Ct. moving up?

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Schism? I don't see it. One one side...Duquesne, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, Wagner, Bryant and Robert Morris aren't on the CAA's speed dial. (CCSU might like to be the next Albany but that's a ways down the road.)

Agreed on both points.

No one in the NEC wants to go to the "Pioneer model." Not tiny Wagner, not Scared Heart, hell even St. Francis wants to offer some schollys and keep scheduling CAA teams in non-conference. I would suggest that this is the "model," but not the membership, that likely best fits G-town.

CCSU is likely the only remaining member that can actually pull off 63 scholarship football (budget and facilities). However, they are not in the position to do that it as an Independent or in the Big South - despite any suggestions to do so. So unless the CAA comes calling, (and they may not ever) CCSU is stuck in the limited scholarship "NEC model" for a while.

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM
What about schools like New Haven and Southern Ct. moving up?

Can't afford the new NCAA application fee and can't fund D-I across all sports annually.

UNH used the previous "exploratory year" as leverage to rejoin the NE-10. They are now very happy to be there.

Southern Connecticut can never get the Board of Trustees/Regents approval to reclassify to D-I (plus they can't afford it either).

Both schoools are happy and successful in the D-II.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Agreed on both points.

No one in the NEC wants to go to the "Pioneer model." Not tiny Wagner, not Scared Heart, hell even St. Francis wants to offer some schollys and keep scheduling CAA teams in non-conference. I would suggest that this is the "model," but not the membership, that likely best fits G-town.

CCSU is likely the only remaining member that can actually pull off 63 scholarship football (budget and facilities). However, they are not in the position to do that it as an Independent or in the Big South - despite any suggestions to do so. So unless the CAA comes calling, (and they may not ever) CCSU is stuck in the limited scholarship "NEC model" for a while.

What was the thinking when CCSU expanded their stadium? As some folks mentioned the other day, the amount of momentum CCSU has lost the last 2 or 3 years is astounding. I thought they where ahead of SBU and Albany 4 years ago. Now they're left in the dust...

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM
What was the thinking when CCSU expanded their stadium? As some folks mentioned the other day, the amount of momentum CCSU has lost the last 2 or 3 years is astounding. I thought they where ahead of SBU and Albany 4 years ago. Now they're left in the dust...

The expanded seating was needed - we couldn't even host a state high schools championships it was so small. Now, we will once again host CIAC state title games. The facility upgrade was long overdue.

I don't think the on-field stuff is what is holding us back (despite the last 2 miserable seasons). The problem is mostly institutional. CCSU just doesn't have the resources of the SUNYs and UConn runs the State Capitol in Hartford. The SUNYs were D-III not so long ago, but that was an institutional decision - they have far larger enrollment, State support and resources than Central will ever have.

Furthermore, CCSU doesn't really have any true "peers" in the region. We have a very similar profile to Towson (but are about half the size). Institutionally, we look more like an OVC school. We were like NJIT when we reclassified back in 1987 - we had no home. We've come a long way (from the ECC and Mid-Con), but we are still fighting many barriers - some internal (State support/funding), some external (political/profile).

hebmskebm
August 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM

But without Albany, Monmouth, and possibly CCSU (down the line) around, I have my doubts some of those schools would want to continue to support scholarships on their own. Remember more than a few of them had to be goaded begrudgingly into offering them in the first place as the cost for maintaining a stable conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
What's not being discussed here at all is that Wagner basically established themselves as a 63 scholarship program this past fall. This IMO ended any "schism" or debate.

If there's an issue it's that there isn't a true regional Northeastern-based football conference for those schools to call home. The PL ultimately sprawls to Maryland. The CAA sprawls to the heart of Virginia. And the NEC can't be that conference either with Duquesne, RMU and SFPA all the way out in central/western PA.

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2013, 04:37 PM
There's zero interest in playing Monmouth. It will be a win in front of 20k? Hopefully? There was quite a bit of moaning on the Temple board about our FCS opponents. Some of it was warranted, some of it moronic ranting. The one thing everyone agreed on was the need for teams to bring fans. As "sad" as it might sound that's were Temple football is right now.

Temple fans just spent four pages on their board in crisis mode addressing the horror of a rumor that the Owls might soon be hosting Lafayette College. It was a potential catastrophe that sent chills up the spines of even the most seasoned fans of Temple's legendary football tradition. Few could contemplate Temple ever playing a team from the . . . gulp . . . Patriot League. (That's largely because none even had heard of the Patriot League.)

Temple fans should be greatly and gratefully relieved at this news. I can't say if Monmouth University will be their cup of tea, either, but at least they'll be spared the indignity they perceive in facing the, umm, "Pards." How embarrassing, right?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Temple fans just spend four pages on their board in crisis mode addressing the horror of a rumor that the Owls might soon be hosting Lafayette College. It was a potential catastrophe that sent chills up the spines of even the most seasoned fans of Temple's legendary football tradition. Few could contemplate Temple ever playing a team from the . . . gulp . . . Patriot League. (That's largely because none even had heard of the Patriot League.)

Temple fans should be greatly and gratefully relieved at this news. I can't say if Monmouth University will be their cup of tea, either, but at least they'll be spared the indignity they perceive in facing the, umm, "Pards." How embarrassing, right?

Most of them are complete idiots. I try to avoid conversing with those clowns during football season because they are so clueless. Do they realize our hoops team traveled to College Hill in 2008 for a basketball game? It was the night before LU-LC, I was there...

BTW, this still doesn't rule out a game against Lafayette. I used to have close ties with a big TU booster/former football captain when I lived in PA who filled me in on details. That's no longer the case unfortunately. If I can find anything out i'll obviously keep you/everyone posted...

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Agreed on both points.

I've said much the same. These schools are at a 40-scholarship level (plus some number of equivalencies) because it allows them to remain competitive without scaring away CAA and/or Ivy opponents.

A non-scholarship Georgetown in a 60-scholarship PL may, at some point, become untenable. If the choice is losing on the top 90 recruits annually that sign with the other PL schools (i.e., 15 scholarships x 6 teams) and becoming non-competitive in the Patriot League every season, yes, the NEC has to be an option. Similarly, Georgetown wants to offer equivalencies that keep it competitive with Ivy teams, which is why the Marist model doesn't work in the long term.

I trust the remaining PL schools want things to work with Georgetown, as a six team league raises all sorts of scheduling and viability issues. But I don't think anyone has yet suggested what the right "number" is (in scholarships, or aid, or whatever) that Georgetown needs to be at, once the PL is running 60 full rides. Whatever it is, they aren't there now.

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Most of them are complete idiots. I try to avoid conversing with those clowns during football season because they are so clueless. Do they realize our hoops team traveled to College Hill in 2008 for a basketball game? It was the night before LU-LC, I was there...

BTW, this still doesn't rule out a game against Lafayette. I used to have close ties with a big TU booster/former football captain when I lived in PA who filled me in on details. That's no longer the case unfortunately. If I can find anything out i'll obviously keep you/everyone posted...

Geez, TU Owl - you'd better be careful. Imagine if the guys on the Temple board found out that The Owls' second most-ever-played rivalry is with Bucknell (of the Patriot League, of course) - and that Temple has an all time losing record against Bucknell . . . and against Holy Cross . . . and against Lehigh . . . and against Georgetown . . . and against Fordham . . . .

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Geez, TU Owl - you'd better be careful. Imagine if the guys on the Temple board found out that The Owls' second most-ever-played rivalry is with Bucknell (of the Patriot League, of course) - and that Temple has an all time losing record against Bucknell . . . and against Holy Cross . . . and against Lehigh . . . and against Georgetown . . . and against Fordham . . . .

...but not against Lafayette xsmiley_wix

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2013, 05:10 PM
...but not against Lafayette xsmiley_wix

. . . not yet, anyhow . . .

Sader87
August 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
It seems like Temple made a concerted effort (much like Rutgers did) around the early 1970's to ramp up their football programs...was there anything behind that i.e. do you know what the story was then Go Lehigh TU owl???

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM
It seems like Temple made a concerted effort (much like Rutgers did) around the early 1970's to ramp up their football programs...was there anything behind that i.e. do you know what the story was then Go Lehigh TU owl???

Temple was adopted into the Commonwealth of Higher Education in 1965 so there might have been a push to increase the schools exposure. They (BOT's) might have seen Penn State emerging from a regional flagship school to a national name do to their, at the time, recent success in football thanks to a young Paterno. I'm also guessing there was some early grumblings of the Eastern 8 at that time and Temple did not want to be left behind.

Our old stadium...
http://www.electro-mech.com/team-sports/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/pic_Temple.jpg

Sader87
August 19th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks Go lehigh TU owl...that sounds right....Temple's rise was pretty dramatic in short order, from playing Gettysburg, Merchant Marine (NY) etc in the late 60's to Pitt, Penn St et. al. by the mid 1970's.

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I'm also guessing there was some early grumblings of the Eastern 8 at that time and Temple did not want to be left behind.

The Eastern 8 wasn't founded until 1977 and Temple didn't join until in 1983. The football commitment preceded that arrangement, in part with the move to the Vet.

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Temple was adopted into the Commonwealth of Higher Education in 1965 so there might have been a push to increase the schools exposure. They (BOT's) might have seen Penn State emerging from a regional flagship school to a national name do to their, at the time, recent success in football thanks to a young Paterno. I'm also guessing there was some early grumblings of the Eastern 8 at that time and Temple did not want to be left behind.

Paterno was still an assistant under Rip Engle in 1965.

The Eastern 8 wasn't founded until 1977 and Temple didn't join until in 1983. The football commitment preceded that arrangement, in part with the move to the Vet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Paterno was still an assistant under Rip Engle in 1965.

Sader70 was referring to the early 1970's. Paterno took over in 1966 and posted undefeated seasons in 1968 and 1969.

I'm assuming there was talk or at least a "wonder" about a potential Eastern 8 in the early 1970's. Especially with PSU not getting the respect it felt it deserved given its 2 undefeated seasons to close the decade of the 60's.

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2013, 08:35 PM
There has long been talk about an Eastern football league (in the 1940's, Jack Hagerty of Georgetown once proposed a league with Pittsburgh, Penn State, Temple, Colgate, Fordham, Boston College, Holy Cross, and Georgetown) but independents were still very viable into the 1970's and schools like Penn State (and Holy Cross, for that matter) didn't see a need to limit their schedules to a conference for the purposes of added national attention. It would be comparable, until recently, to Syracuse or Johns Hopkins in lacrosse--they didn't need a conference to be a national contender.

The ECBL (later the Eastern 8) would have been a great football conference (variously including Penn State, Pitt, West Virginia, Villanova, Rutgers, Temple, and UMass) but because of the ABC/NCAA contract, revenue sharing just wasn't a priority to teams like Penn State.

Even a better example: the old Metro Conference, which in 1978 included FLorida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulane, Memphis, with South Carolina joining later. There was no serious talk of a Metro Conference in football for another decade, by which time the movement of realignment made the Metro obsolete.

Sader87
August 19th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Sader87 (fify) was referring to the early 1970's. Paterno took over in 1966 and posted undefeated seasons in 1968 and 1969.

I'm assuming there was talk or at least a "wonder" about a potential Eastern 8 in the early 1970's. Especially with PSU not getting the respect it felt it deserved given its 2 undefeated seasons to close the decade of the 60's.

That's basically when I grew up as a Holy Cross fan (1970's)....the D1 schools were vaguely called the East Indies of which HC was technically a member (with PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Temple, Rutgers, Colgate, Army, Villanova and a few others). It just seems that both Temple and Rutgers, more than any other schools in the East back then, went from "barely D1" (like HC and Colgate) to fairly strong D1 programs by the end of the 1970's.

UAalum72
August 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Temple moved from College Division to University Division in 1971, which became Division I in 1973. As late as 1976 half their schedule was teams then or still I-AA types - Grambling, Delaware, Drake, Dayton and 'nova.

Sader87
August 19th, 2013, 09:26 PM
They had become very good though by as early as 1973....remember a Steve Joachim (QB) led Owl team burning HC for 63 points in 1973 in a wild 63-34 game at Fitton. Joachim was a Heisman finalist in that era. They also put it to some pretty good BC teams in the mid-70's.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Temple moved from College Division to University Division in 1971, which became Division I in 1973. As late as 1976 half their schedule was teams then or still I-AA types - Grambling, Delaware, Drake, Dayton and 'nova.

Paul Palmer finished 2nd to Testaverde in the '86 Heisman race. Temple has some history of success. If the BE move had been handled better we might have been at least as good as Pitt the last 20 years. I think Temple's administration is getting it right by focusing on regional success.

If I was near a computer I'd go in to more detail...

Go...gate
August 19th, 2013, 10:14 PM
There has long been talk about an Eastern football league (in the 1940's, Jack Hagerty of Georgetown once proposed a league with Pittsburgh, Penn State, Temple, Colgate, Fordham, Boston College, Holy Cross, and Georgetown) but independents were still very viable into the 1970's and schools like Penn State (along with Colgate and Holy Cross, for that matter) didn't see a need to limit their schedules to a conference for the purposes of added national attention. It would be comparable, until recently, to Syracuse or Johns Hopkins in lacrosse--they didn't need a conference to be a national contender.

The ECBL (later the Eastern 8) would have been a great football conference (variously including Penn State, Pitt, West Virginia, Villanova, Rutgers, Temple, and UMass) but because of the ABC/NCAA contract, revenue sharing just wasn't a priority to teams like Penn State.

Even a better example: the old Metro Conference, which in 1978 included FLorida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulane, Memphis, with South Carolina joining later. There was no serious talk of a Metro Conference in football for another decade, by which time the movement of realignment made the Metro obsolete.

Fixed it for you.

Go...gate
August 19th, 2013, 10:16 PM
They had become very good though by as early as 1973....remember a Steve Joachim (QB) led Owl team burning HC for 63 points in 1973 in a wild 63-34 game at Fitton. Joachim was a Heisman finalist in that era. They also put it to some pretty good BC teams in the mid-70's.

They also played some very close games against Penn State. Split two games with Colgate in 1981 (Franklin Field) and 1982 (Andy Kerr Stadium).

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Getting back on topic...

I think it's important for Monmouth, Temple, Lehigh, Colgate, UConn, UMass etc to keep their regional identities. Being in the Northeast makes it even that much more important. I expect Monmouth's trip to Bozeman to be the exception rather than the rule.

Go...gate
August 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Getting back on topic...

I think it's important for Monmouth, Temple, Lehigh, Colgate, UConn, UMass etc to keep their regional identities. Being in the Northeast makes it even that much more important. I expect Monmouth's trip to Bozeman to be the exception rather than the rule.

I think simple economics will ensure this. At this level, schedules are still largely guided by bus travel (not to mention minimizing lost class time).

PAllen
August 20th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I trust the remaining PL schools want things to work with Georgetown, as a six team league raises all sorts of scheduling and viability issues. But I don't think anyone has yet suggested what the right "number" is (in scholarships, or aid, or whatever) that Georgetown needs to be at, once the PL is running 60 full rides. Whatever it is, they aren't there now.

This might be where Georgetown being a FB only member helps the situation. Unlike Davidson in the SoCon, where many conference members were upset that Davidson was spending all of their money on BBall while not carrying the load for FB, the PL really doesn't care what GU spends on BBall or other sports as they are all outside of the league. I think the PL puts up with GU for quite some time. It's more a question of how many losing seasons does GU put up with.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM
This might be where Georgetown being a FB only member helps the situation. Unlike Davidson in the SoCon, where many conference members were upset that Davidson was spending all of their money on BBall while not carrying the load for FB, the PL really doesn't care what GU spends on BBall or other sports as they are all outside of the league. I think the PL puts up with GU for quite some time. It's more a question of how many losing seasons does GU put up with.

I think there's no question that the PL presidents and ADs like to hobnob with Georgetown's power structure, much like how they like to hobnob with Harvard's, Yale's, Princeton's, etc. That may count for more than any athletic reason we could come up with.

UNHWildcat18
August 20th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Another non PL thread turned into a PL thread.... Good for Monmouth though.

Bogus Megapardus
August 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Another non PL thread turned into a PL thread.... Good for Monmouth though.

No, no, no . . . I'm not taking the blame for the hijack this time.

Bogus Megapardus
August 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I think there's no question that the PL presidents and ADs like to hobnob with Georgetown's power structure, much like how they like to hobnob with Harvard's, Yale's, Princeton's, etc. That may count for more than any athletic reason we could come up with.

Sycophantic nob-hobbery is a hallmark of the PL's being, LFN. You should know that. I believe it's written into the charter, actually, in the subsection addressing "Cocktail Parties on the Hill" and "Face Time."

Only trouble is that the Georgetown power structure often fails to reach the MSF press box. You'd think that an out of town beat reporter could at least plug in his cell phone, but noooo . . . .

RichH2
August 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Congrats to PL for yet another hijack.Kudos.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Sycophantic nob-hobbery is a hallmark of the PL's being, LFN. You should know that. I believe it's written into the charter, actually, in the subsection addressing "Cocktail Parties on the Hill" and "Face Time."

Only trouble is that the Georgetown power structure often fails to reach the MSF press box. You'd think that an out of town beat reporter could at least plug in his cell phone, but noooo . . . .

You'll note I didn't say "press" in my original post.

PAllen
August 20th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Congrats to PL for yet another hijack.Kudos.

Hijacked because many PL fans would love to have those FBS schools on future schedules.

RichH2
August 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Hijacked because many PL fans would love to have those FBS schools on future schedules.

Yupxsmileyclapx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Temple and UConn are good ones imo. A game against Syracuse might get real ugly.....

PAllen
August 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Temple and UConn are good ones imo. A game against Syracuse might get real ugly.....

I'm sure that our friends in Hamilton would love for the Orangemen to be a regular feature.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I'm sure that our friends in Hamilton would love for the Orangemen to be a regular feature.

Colgate's last 10 games againt the 'Cuse

1956 Syracuse 61 Colgate 7
1957 Syracuse 34 Colgate 6
1958 Syraucse 47 Colgate 0
1959 Syracuse 71 Colgate 0
1960 Syracuse 46 Colgate 6
1961 Syracuse 51 Colgate 8
1981 Syracuse 47 Colgate 24
1982 Syracuse 49 Colgate 15
1984 Syracuse 57 Colgate 6
2010 Syracuse 42 Colgate 7

If Colgate wants to be embarrassed then fine, schedule the Orange. These two have ZERO business playing each other. The Raiders are going to get clowned by Air Force next week.

Sader87
August 20th, 2013, 01:31 PM

1959 Syracuse 71 Colgate 0
1984 Syracuse 57 Colgate 6

If Colgate wants to be embarrassed then fine, schedule the Orange. These two have ZERO business playing each other. The Raiders are going to get clowned by Air Force next week.

I don't think so...the service academies in general aren't that much "bigger, faster and stronger" than a lot of FCS teams. They hang around with the "big boys" through discipline/clock management via the option etc...I see Colgate hanging around for most of this game.

By the by, the last time the Crusaders and the Falcons met on the gridiron in 1978:

Holy Cross 35
Air Force 18 F

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I don't think so...the service academies in general aren't that much "bigger, faster and stronger" than a lot of FCS teams. They hang around with the "big boys" through discipline/clock management via the option etc...I see Colgate hanging around for most of this game.

By the by, the last time the Crusaders and the Falcons met on the gridiron in 1978:

Holy Cross 35
Air Force 18 F

Air Force's last few FCS games

2008 Air Force 41 Southern Utah 7
2009 Air Force 72 Nicholls State 0
2010 Air Force 65 Northwestern State 21
2011 Air Force 37 South Dakota 20, Air Force 63 Tennessee State 24
2012 Air Force 49 Idaho State 21

I'd put O/U AF points at 50....

Maybe 55-24?

Bogus Megapardus
August 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
The early line is Air Force (-18.5) But Air Force returns only 3 offensive starters and 3 defensive starters and lost its place kicker. Apparently they are learning a new offensive scheme which features more passing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM
The early line is Air Force (-18.5) But Air Force returns only 3 offensive starters and 3 defensive starters and lost its place kicker. Apparently they are learning a new offensive scheme which features more passing.

I'd definitely pick AF to cover. Biddle's teams have not faired well when they've play up the last 7-8 years. I think their lack of team speed hurts them. I don't see any possible way this game is close.

Bogus Megapardus
August 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Also, the visiting team entrance . . . .

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4440/pwoz.png

Lehigh Football Nation
August 20th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Every red-blooded Patriot League fan should be rooting for Colgate to pull off the upset. No single game is as important for Patriot League SOS than that game. They should also be rooting for Fordham to beat Temple, but a Colgate victory would singlehandedly allow the PL to leapfrog the rest of FCS in schedule strength.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2013, 04:01 PM

1959 Syracuse 71 Colgate 0 (Syracuse #1 in the nation)
1987 Syracuse 52 Colgate 6 (Syracuse #2 in the nation)

Corrected a few details.

You really have a thing about this, don't you?

Go...gate
August 20th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Every red-blooded Patriot League fan should be rooting for Colgate to pull off the upset. No single game is as important for Patriot League SOS than that game. They should also be rooting for Fordham to beat Temple, but a Colgate victory would singlehandedly allow the PL to leapfrog the rest of FCS in schedule strength.

Have to admit that I'm surprised that Colgate is getting rapped for strengthening its schedule.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Corrected a few details.

You really have a thing about this, don't you?

These games stink, they really do. The fact people are forced to pay regular ticket prices for these games is a joke imo. I don't see why Colgate enjoys getting smacking around by Syracuse.

Temple should be embarrassed for their game against Fordham, and rightly so....

Bogus Megapardus
August 20th, 2013, 04:39 PM
These games stink, they really do. The fact people are forced to pay regular ticket prices for these games is a joke imo. I don't see why Colgate enjoys getting smacking around by Syracuse.

Temple should be embarrassed for their game against Fordham, and rightly so....

Geez I hope the Rams win this one. Will Temple be giving Fordham fans a ticket discount, I hope?

Dave195
August 20th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Monmouth to the Big Ten? Soon enough lol. Bigger & better things are in store for the future no doubt! #GoMUHawks
Football moving up, Basketball moving up, Nationally ranked soccer program (even I don't care about that haha)

Go...gate
August 20th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Monmouth to the Big Ten? Soon enough lol. Bigger & better things are in store for the future no doubt! #GoMUHawks
Football moving up, Basketball moving up, Nationally ranked soccer program (even I don't care about that haha)

I think what Monmouth is doing is great. I also think that stretch games are a good thing in general for a program.

rokamortis
August 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
The title made me think this thread was about Monmouth joining the Big South. xcoffeex

Go...gate
August 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Would be interesting to see a Monmouth - Princeton matchup. They already play periodically in basketball and baseball.

RichH2
August 20th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Certainly MU would love it