PDA

View Full Version : Chris Fowler mentions App in column

Appstate03
September 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM
In his column on ESPN today, Chris Fowler mentioned App.

Well-hidden streak: Appalachian State has a 19-game home win streak. News to you, right? Why: Thirteen of the 19 opponents were unable to navigate to the Appalachian State campus in time for kickoff and had to forfeit. Just kidding. Boone, N.C., is a lovely place.

Nothing big, but press for I-AA and Appalachian.

Fowler Column (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=fowler_chris&id=2588686&skipPrestitial=true&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dfowler_ chris%26id%3d2588686%26skipPrestitial%3dtrue)

blueraiderjt
September 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Actually, I think you guys do deserve more press. I know I've been hot headed on the other post but Appy St. is on the move. We have your strength and conditioning coach now and he has made the difference for us.

I defend my team when they are trashed like y'all would but Appy St. is a good squad and was fun to watch last year in the playoffs. I wouldn't go 1a just yet tho. It is a hard road my friend.

take care.

AppGuy04
September 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
make that 20

Appstate03
September 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Actually, I think you guys do deserve more press. I know I've been hot headed on the other post but Appy St. is on the move. We have your strength and conditioning coach now and he has made the difference for us.

I defend my team when they are trashed like y'all would but Appy St. is a good squad and was fun to watch last year in the playoffs. I wouldn't go 1a just yet tho. It is a hard road my friend.

take care.

I think they are pushing to I-A but that will be years down the road, if ever. I don't think I'm that excited about going to I-A. I'd rather be a really good I-AA team.

ronpayne
September 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Not to get us all on a tangent, but I would rather be a solid I-AA team as well, than just a "bowl game" team.

I-AA rules!

igo4uni
September 16th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I-AA rules!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ronald Sconyers
September 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'd hate to see you guys go I-A. It would be a huge loss to the SoCon and I-AA. As much as I hate losing to you, I love spanking you guys all the more. If you go I-A, you'll more than likely never contend for a national title, and end up playing in whichever "Toilet Bowl" thinks they can make a buck off of you, that is when you have a good enough record to qualify. Not my idea of fun, when realistically, you guys are gonna be in the chase for a national title for the forseeable future in I-AA. The playoffs are so much more fun anyway.

ASU Kep
September 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I'd hate to see you guys go I-A. It would be a huge loss to the SoCon and I-AA. As much as I hate losing to you, I love spanking you guys all the more. If you go I-A, you'll more than likely never contend for a national title, and end up playing in whichever "Toilet Bowl" thinks they can make a buck off of you, that is when you have a good enough record to qualify. Not my idea of fun, when realistically, you guys are gonna be in the chase for a national title for the forseeable future in I-AA. The playoffs are so much more fun anyway.

I agree. Unfortunately, the $$$ and increased exposure of "BS" are going to be tempting in 5-10 years when our facilities are completed.

Ronald Sconyers
September 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I agree. Unfortunately, the $$$ and increased exposure of "BS" are going to be tempting in 5-10 years when our facilities are completed.
Yeah, but the expense of running a I-A program is really high too. Just look at Marshall. They are really struggling in the Bowl leauge. Only exposure I see them getting lately is when they mention them in passing on college game day and how they lost another game. Right now, if I'm looking at playing I-AA football in the Southeast, I gotta be looking at AppSt. as a serious place to want to play. That is if I can't get into Furman. :smiley_wi But in I-A? Woe. You just went way down the list. Sorry, but it's true, and will be for a long time. Are the Mountaineer fans prepared to spend the forseeable future, maybe the rest of their lives for the older ones, watching their team struggle to qualify for some bowl in god knows where while they build a program. And what about your other sports? You guys are on the rise in alot of other areas than just football. But forget about that in I-A.

Anyway, it really just boils down to not wanting to lose my favorite team to hate...Boone is second only to Paladin Stadium in terms of places I love to watch a football game. Some of my fondest memories from Furman were the road trips to Boone for the game (my sister was a mountainqueer when I was at FU). Man, the partying we did up there. Whew!xprost2x Dude, you gonna make me get all teary eyed.

ncman071
September 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM
personally i really like IAA football and the whole playoff system. it's nice to have a true national champion. however, it would be interesting to see us possibly go to IA and compete and beat the top college programs in the nation period. The problem is, i dont see a conference in the nation that App would fit in. However, if App, Ga Southern, Furman, and a few others were to join together and all go IA at the same time, that could be interesting. But anyway, our facilities are on the rise and really looking good and we should be nothing less than national champion contenders from here on out in IAA. Go ASU!!!

blueballs
September 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
ASU is halfway to the 1-AA record home winning streak held by GSU. In fact, GSU has the two longest home winning streaks in 1-AA.