PDA

View Full Version : Samford Long Snapper Battled Cancer And Will Play This Season

SU DOG
August 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Courageous young man with a story that could inspire others.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/samford_long_snapper_perry_bea.html#incart_river_d efault

Laker
August 18th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Best of luck to Perry!

The Cats
August 18th, 2013, 01:39 PM
+

Good Luck to Beasley

lionsrking2
August 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/samford_long_snapper_perry_bea.html#incart_river_d efault

Inspiring story, thanks for posting!

AppStsGr8
August 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks! Good stuff!

dewey
August 18th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Great post! Good luck to Perry.

Dewey

Go...gate
August 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks for posting - best of luck to that young man!

dgtw
August 18th, 2013, 11:04 PM

I read that in the paper this morning, nice story.

How is Coach Sullivan doing?

eaglewraith
August 18th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Really good story. I can sympathize. I had non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma 4 years ago and the treatment about wiped me out. The worst part is it takes close to a year to start feeling normal again.

Good luck to him this season.

FormerPokeCenter
August 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Any of you Samford fans have any clout with the Athletic Department there? I'd love to wear a Samford jersey with the kids' number on it during my ride at the Atlanta 24 Hour of Booty in October....

There are three things that i love about that article.

He beat Cancer. He plays at an FCS school. He's a center. He Beat Cancer...

eaglewraith
August 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Any of you Samford fans have any clout with the Athletic Department there? I'd love to wear a Samford jersey with the kids' number on it during my ride at the Atlanta 24 Hour of Booty in October....

Damn Louisiana math ;)

FormerPokeCenter
August 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Damn Louisiana math ;)

Caught that, did ya? I felt it bore repeating! ;)

Congratulations on YOUR course of treatment! I'm assuming you may have had a bone marrow transplant??

eaglewraith
August 19th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Caught that, did ya? I felt it bore repeating! ;)

Congratulations on YOUR course of treatment! I'm assuming you may have had a bone marrow transplant??

Fortunately no. If I ever have a recurrence, the first attack will be a stem cell transplant. They harvest your own stem cells before doing high dose chemo to wipe out all your stem cells and bone marrow. Then they implant the stem cells to regenerate your marrow. I think marrow transplant is the last option. In any case, I hope it never comes to either one of those.

Chemo was a mother****er and I don't wish that on anyone. I was lucky enough to catch it early to where I had a minimum number of chemo sessions, but I did them on a very accelerated schedule and had a rough time with it. At the time I was 26, and unfortunately the R-CHOP chemo seems to really hit younger people really hard. I would be confined to my couch for nearly a week after chemo and I suffered some nerve damage in my brain for a little while that affected my blood pressure.

The worst part about this whole thing is I can never give blood again. Once you have a blood cancer, you are disqualified by the Red Cross rules.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2013, 06:55 PM

THANK YOU Poke. What a really GREAT idea. Please check my PM to you. I guarantee you that I will do whatever I can to get a jersey to you. Not meaning to toot my own horn, but the AD knows me on a first name basis. He also knows that Samford doesn't have many fans, like me, who can say they haven't missed a home football game in 27 years. LOL
As for the welfare of Coach Sullivan, he is recovering from back surgery, and that is the only thing I can say at this time.

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Not being able to give blood does suck, BUT...fortunately, you caught it in time and got on top of it! That's great!

I've got two good friends that do the ride with me each y ear who are both bone marrow transplant recipients. They're both amazing. One guy rode - unsupported - from Boston to Key West just 19 months after his transplant.....they say most people take a couple of years to recover from it...this guy, who's not young, went on a 2,000 mile bike ride...fricken amazing!

Congrats on your recovery! That's awesome!

Fortunately no. If I ever have a recurrence, the first attack will be a stem cell transplant. They harvest your own stem cells before doing high dose chemo to wipe out all your stem cells and bone marrow. Then they implant the stem cells to regenerate your marrow. I think marrow transplant is the last option. In any case, I hope it never comes to either one of those.

Chemo was a mother****er and I don't wish that on anyone. I was lucky enough to catch it early to where I had a minimum number of chemo sessions, but I did them on a very accelerated schedule and had a rough time with it. At the time I was 26, and unfortunately the R-CHOP chemo seems to really hit younger people really hard. I would be confined to my couch for nearly a week after chemo and I suffered some nerve damage in my brain for a little while that affected my blood pressure.

The worst part about this whole thing is I can never give blood again. Once you have a blood cancer, you are disqualified by the Red Cross rules.

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
THANK YOU Poke. What a really GREAT idea. Please check my PM to you. I guarantee you that I will do whatever I can to get a jersey to you. Not meaning to toot my own horn, but the AD knows me on a first name basis. He also knows that Samford doesn't have many fans, like me, who can say they haven't missed a home football game in 27 years. LOL
As for the welfare of Coach Sullivan, he is recovering from back surgery, and that is the only thing I can say at this time.

Awesome! I'd love that! The kid is from Marietta, and the ride is in Sandy Springs, just a few miles up the road!