PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette-Penn

Marcus Garvey
September 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Wow, Lafayette is losing to an arguably inferior Ivy team... Gee, that never happens! :rolleyes:

Seriously, they need to drop all Ivy contests except Columbia and schedule MAC schools or Big East bottom feeders or something. It's gotten to the point where I fully expect them to lose.

Pards Rule
September 16th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Damn, played the game looking like they were #220 in the I-AA, not 22. Congrats to UPenn. We have another Ivy shot next week @ Princeton, but dammit the "D" didn't step up when we got to 14-11. LeopardFan04, etc. you saw your names in the Express-Times today in the article on Superfan's death?

carney2
September 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
LAFAYETTE LOSES TO AN IVY

Now there's a headline you don't see very often.: smh :

LeopardFan04
September 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Damn, played the game looking like they were #220 in the I-AA, not 22. Congrats to UPenn. We have another Ivy shot next week @ Princeton, but dammit the "D" didn't step up when we got to 14-11. LeopardFan04, etc. you saw your names in the Express-Times today in the article on Superfan's death?

My name?

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM
An article about the death of SuperFan Wilmer Bonney in Saturday's Express-Times reprinted some of the comments posted on voy.com. Tavani even gave an eulogy at the funeral!

cosmo here
September 17th, 2006, 07:29 AM
An article about the death of SuperFan Wilmer Bonney in Saturday's Express-Times reprinted some of the comments posted on voy.com.

Really?! I just reread it, I only found comments from Leone, Tavani, O'Hanlon, Dawson and Farrell.

Nice tribute and moment of silence at the game yesterday from what I've heard.

LeopardFan04
September 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I don't see the comments either...this is the Laubach article?
Cosmo: It was a nice little tribute at the game, they put a picture of Superfan up on the new board, and held a moment of silence...he will certainly be missed...

RadMann
September 17th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Below are some pics from the game from the local paper:

http://www.mcall.com/media/photo/2006-09/25426891.jpg
http://www.mcall.com/media/photo/2006-09/25426890.jpg

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM
It was in a gray box associated with the story. Someone want to link it here cause it was a good article! BTW, the Express-Times caption in todays paper on the front page had "Lafayette, by the way, beat the Quakers 21-11" Oops. I am in the pic on the front page, in the white shirt and maroon hat immediately next to the word "Easton" in the byline of the story titled "Murder suspect caught in region."

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM
BTW, did anyone see the story on Hutch Effman, former Pard, on Good Morning America this morning about hunky men with purse size pooches. Capt Cat, UNH & Dbackjon take note! :)

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
It was in a gray box associated with the story. Someone want to link it here cause it was a good article! BTW, the Express-Times caption in todays paper on the front page had "Lafayette, by the way, beat the Quakers 21-11" Oops. I am in the pic on the front page, in the white shirt and maroon hat immediately next to the word "Easton" in the byline of the story titled "Murder suspect caught in region."

Yeah, I noticed our comments in the free copy I picked up at Farinon. Odd though that they totally took out my name and simply labeled Pard4Life as 'Pards' .. :confused:

I think Mr. Bonney would have liked the new stadium... I easily pictured him leaning over the railing and cheering on the Pards... one is so close to the team it's unreal.. they have their unit meetings after drives right against the wall..

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I saw that! I was almost tempted to lean over and say "come on D - get it together"

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Also I noticed the expensive jumbotron was missing a "Ball On XX"!!

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Also I noticed the expensive jumbotron was missing a "Ball On XX"!!

Yeah, the new scoreboard is apparently still on order, although I don't know what the precise hold-up is... you can see that it fits in that nice rectangle area when it comes..

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Two more Ivy games coming up: this week at Princeton and next week at home vs. Yale. I will be going up for that one as they are honoring Russo's first LC 1981 team at half and Jack Siedlecki will be there (Russo's OC that year) as he is now HC at Yale. I hope Joe Sarra returns too.

carney2
September 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Here's an informal little survey. How many of you Pards out there are willing to pick the Pards against The Poison Ivy Curse this weekend @ Princeton?

I will begin by saying that I learned my lesson (again) this past weekend. The Curse is faster than a racing locomotive and able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. I have seen it in action for decades and it truly exists. A win here and there does not break it. I pick Princeton 24 - 14 with no regard to talent, motivation, coaching or preparation. The Curse lives, dammit!

Survey results to date:

Curse 1, Pards 0

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Carney, I'm not giving up on this goal here. We did poorly against Penn. If Tavani is worth his salt he will kick a$$ all week and have that team ready to eliminate some Ivy. The second we ascribe to the curse theory it gives everyone an excuse to hang their hats & headphones on. No, this team better be good enough to bag some Tiger.

carney2
September 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Carney, I'm not giving up on this goal here. We did poorly against Penn. If Tavani is worth his salt he will kick a$$ all week and have that team ready to eliminate some Ivy. The second we ascribe to the curse theory it gives everyone an excuse to hang their hats & headphones on. No, this team better be good enough to bag some Tiger.

You are either a very brave or a very foolish man - the type that would wear a "Harleys are for Wimps" T-shirt to a biker bar. In any event, it's now

Curse 1, Pards 1

cosmo here
September 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Here's an informal little survey. How many of you Pards out there are willing to pick the Pards against The Poison Ivy Curse this weekend @ Princeton?

I will begin by saying that I learned my lesson (again) this past weekend. The Curse is faster than a racing locomotive and able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. I have seen it in action for decades and it truly exists. A win here and there does not break it. I pick Princeton 24 - 14 with no regard to talent, motivation, coaching or preparation. The Curse lives, dammit!

Survey results to date:

Curse 1, Pards 0

Carney, I thought I had talked you off the ledge yesterday. Apparently it's only a 24-hour fix. This is a resilient team . . interesting note from after the Sacred Heart game: Lafayette has won its last 10 games after a loss, only one of those games won by less than 10 points.

Lafayette 24, Princeton 14

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Big talk when Lafayette is 4-35-3 against the Tigers.

Did I mention that Ralph and I will be making an appearance at this game?

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Maybe you guys will be our good luck charms :) Or our albatross!

carney2
September 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Big talk when Lafayette is 4-35-3 against the Tigers.

Did I mention that Ralph and I will be making an appearance at this game?

You can't ignore the Curse. It's too powerful. With LFN chiming in, I am reminded that it is directed at one school and one school only. Example:

Lehigh, I believe has won 6 of the last 7 from Princeton.

Lafayette has won 4 of the last 42 from Princeton.

Yes, I am aware that we shall have strange visitors from another planet in our midst this Saturday evening @ Princeton. Actually, I am counting on the two of you to at least take a stab at breaking the Curse. You, LFN, are requested to perform some version of your ChickenSquawk shuffle whilst giving the evil eye to all Tiggers in attendance. Ralph can do whatever strange things Illinoisians do to combat the forces of evil. We'll take anything at this point.

Oh yeah, after Cosmo's post the count is now

Curse 1, Pards 2

Another vote from the young and foolish.

LeopardFan04
September 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Young? Check.
Foolish? Check.

Count me in as #3. Had we played our best game (or even a slightly better one), we'd have beaten Penn...and I think they're better than Princeton...Leopards by a score...

Lafayette71
September 18th, 2006, 11:48 AM
You can't ignore the Curse. It's too powerful. With LFN chiming in, I am reminded that it is directed at one school and one school only. Example:

Lehigh, I believe has won 6 of the last 7 from Princeton.

Lafayette has won 4 of the last 42 from Princeton.

We are due for our once a decade victory. oh wait, we won in 2000. I guess we'll have to wait until 2011 or so.

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
If it's worth anything, Tavani is 2-3 vs. Princeton. Not too shabby considering the entire picture. Yeah we do suck royally vs. the Ivy League but this team is much too good to go on a nose-dive. My smart a-- brother said the Pards would be 6-5 this year (losses to every Ivy and Colgate)... but does anyone seriously think the Leopards won't win a game for over a month?! Something will have to give. We can beat Princeton... they are not the strongest team and don't have that line strength like Penn. Hopefully the offense will have stern talking to following the red zone debacle. The part that has me worried most is the strange, weird, crazy stuff you don't expect to happen. Pards should win this one... against conventional wisdom.

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
We are due for our once a decade victory. oh wait, we won in 2000. I guess we'll have to wait until 2011 or so.

No we also won in 2003. Tavani is 2-3 vs. the Tigers. Not half bad considering the full Ivy picture. It's better than vs. Colgate (0) and Fordham (2)!

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 11:55 AM
So Frank has won half of what we won in the win column in the last 42 games vs. Princeton? I can think that Russo had one in 1982 with Nick (Special K) Kowgois carrying for 269 yards in that game. I believe that still stands as Leopards single game record?

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 11:59 AM
So Frank has won half of what we won in the win column in the last 42 games vs. Princeton? I can think that Russo had one in 1982 with Nick (Special K) Kowgois carrying for 269 yards in that game. I believe that still stands as Leopards single game record?

Hmm maybe.. but yes 1982 or thereabouts was the first win ever... in like 100 years of playing them.. pathetic... :rolleyes:

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM

I guess that was a typo...

1. 296 Nick Kowgios vs. Princeton (1982)
2. 256 Jack O’Reilly vs. Lehigh (1927) :D
3. 254 Tom Triolo vs. Gettysburg (1968)
4. 251 Erik Marsh vs. Lehigh (1992) :D
251 Bruce McIntyre vs. Lehigh (1986) :D

cosmo here
September 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Hmm maybe.. but yes 1982 or thereabouts was the first win ever... in like 100 years of playing them.. pathetic... :rolleyes:

well, except for that 6-0 thriller in 1909 following the scoreless tie in 1908 . . maybe we're entering a new era of competitiveness to rival that?

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Now that I think of it, 2003 was the only non-miracle win... 1982 an insane performance.. 2000 Yarberough grab... almost 2005 with a 2nd half comeback... damn FG never should have happened (or those 20 first half pts) : smh :

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Actually not...I thought it was 269...I could be wrong. Could it be a typo in the media guide? Perish the thought! May be a question for the SID!

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
well, except for that 6-0 thriller in 1909 following the scoreless tie in 1908 . . maybe we're entering a new era of competitiveness to rival that?

xlolx Yeah... I hope... a .250 winning percentage even over 10 years would sadly be outstanding...

carney2
September 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM
My smart a-- brother said the Pards would be 6-5 this year (losses to every Ivy and Colgate

The part that has me worried most is the strange, weird, crazy stuff you don't expect to happen. Pards should win this one... against conventional wisdom.

After Saturday, one of the guys that I sit with predicted 5-6, with losses to all Ivies (he believes in the Curse) plus Colgate and Lehigh. Let's just say that he was not impressed with what he saw.

As for the "weird, crazy stuff," do you mean things like

a flood in Easton which prevents the visiting team from arriving at the Princeton game site in a timely manner;

or

the game day decision to start a QB who cannot run and cannot throw due to an injury received the previous week - and then hanging with said injured QB until the score is Princeton 20, Lafayette 0 and the QB has thrown 2 interceptions?

This isn't "weird and crazy stuff." It's the Curse.

Two more voters have chimed in. LeopardFan04 (a mere babe) has voted for the Pards, while Lafayette71 who, based on his moniker, is old enough to have seen this at work, votes for the Curse based on his "...we'll have to wait until 2011 or so."

The voting stands at

Curse 2, Pards 3

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM
After Saturday, one of the guys that I sit with predicted 5-6, with losses to all Ivies (he believes in the Curse) plus Colgate and Lehigh. Let's just say that he was not impressed with what he saw.

As for the "weird, crazy stuff," do you mean things like

a flood in Easton which prevents the visiting team from arriving at the Princeton game site in a timely manner;

or

the game day decision to start a QB who cannot run and cannot throw due to an injury received the previous week - and then hanging with said injured QB until the score is Princeton 20, Lafayette 0 and the QB has thrown 2 interceptions?

This isn't "weird and crazy stuff." It's the Curse.

Two more voters have chimed in. LeopardFan04 (a mere babe) has voted for the Pards, while Lafayette71 who, based on his moniker, is old enough to have seen this at work, votes for the Curse based on his "...we'll have to wait until 2011 or so."

The voting stands at

Curse 2, Pards 3

That's just poor planning and insight on our behalf. There are justifications for those losses... no oddities like our RB stepping on a bird, causing a fumble, and PU getting the return TD for the win.. now that would be a curse...

Then again I am a Red Sox fan so what the heck am I saying here.. but I do fault Grady Little for 2003.. and I was too small to know of 1986.

I vote for Pards.. no curses!

You are much too pesimisstic carney. Yale might be our Columbia.. they lost to San Diego badly! And we have only played them six times (0-6).

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM
PS Are we staying at a hotel this year? No bus trips please!

Tavani will surely comment on it tomorrow I hope...

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 12:53 PM
BTW, P4L, your comment induces a question. After the game I went to my car after the game which was parked behind Kirby Fieldhouse. I saw the players, fully dressed in uniforms, getting on busses?? Where were they going?

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM
BTW, P4L, your comment induces a question. After the game I went to my car after the game which was parked behind Kirby Fieldhouse. I saw the players, fully dressed in uniforms, getting on busses?? Where were they going?

Don't see where my question was... but probably Metzger... although I always thought they got undressed in Kirby right away and then shuttled up there...

...unless Tavani was holding practice right away... :confused:

carney2
September 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM
There are justifications for those losses.

I vote for Pards.. no curses!

You are much too pesimisstic carney. Yale might be our Columbia.. they lost to San Diego badly! And we have only played them six times (0-6).

1. There is no justification. There's only the Curse.

2. For a while there I thought that this was a Chicago election with you voting twice. I checked and you are OK. Everyone is on the honor system from here. Currently, it's

Curse 2, Pards 4

3. There is only one Columbia. I have done the research and know how/why Columbia has been excluded from the Ivy side of the Curse. I will give you the benefit of my knowledge at some time within the next 24 hours. As for Yale, I was at the '91 game where the Pards pushed the Eli up and down the field and then, just to prove that it could be done, pushed them half way back to New Haven. Final score: Yale 24, Lafayette 14. It's the Curse, gentlemen, the Curse.

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Who or what is an Eli?

carney2
September 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Who or what is an Eli?

Aint that a Yalie?

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I dunno...was hoping someone could shed the light. How did they get Eli from Yalie?

LUHawker
September 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Young? Check.
Foolish? Check.

Count me in as #3. Had we played our best game (or even a slightly better one), we'd have beaten Penn...and I think they're better than Princeton...Leopards by a score...

LFN was properly touting the young Princetonians this past week and he was unfortunately proven correct by defeating Lehigh. Keep in mind, Pard fans, that Princeton easily handled Penn last year - this same (or at least similar) Penn team that defeated Lafayette on Saturday. To LFN's point, don't underestimate Princeton. I was at the Penn-Princeton game last year and that was one reason that at the beginning of the season, I predicted Princeton would defeat Lehigh (also because it was a classic let-down trap). Lafayette will need its A-game on Saturday at PU.

LeopardFan04
September 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Good points...I agree we will need our A game...but our A game would have beaten Penn as well...I know it's early, but I still think Penn is better than Princeton...just trying to stay positive...

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Aint that a Yalie?

I think the founder's name was 'Eli Yale'.. hence... like 'John Harvard'

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Thx PFL! Bring your A game, bring your heads, bring your spine, just don't bring defeat. Damn, I should been a coach :)

bulldog10jw
September 18th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Who or what is an Eli?

From Yale's website:

Yale’s roots can be traced back to the 1640s, when colonial clergymen led an effort to establish a college in New Haven to preserve the tradition of European liberal education in the New World. This vision was fulfilled in 1701, when the charter was granted for a school “wherein Youth may be instructed in the Arts and Sciences [and] through the blessing of Almighty God may be fitted for Publick employment both in Church and Civil State.” In 1718 the school was renamed “Yale College” in gratitude to the Welsh merchant Elihu Yale, who had donated the proceeds from the sale of nine bales of goods together with 417 books and a portrait of King George I.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM
A helpful refresher course:

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72427

I kept on thinking of one thing in this victory: ghosts. Coach Hughes attrubuted the win to having "the big guy upstairs on their side, and blessed by the 5 big [offensive linemen] on our side too", but I attrubute it to the ghosts. To take nothing away from the Tigers' great effort as Princeton takes a 35-4-3 series lead on the Leopards, it was also easy to see some helping hands from the ghosts of the past. How else could the Lafayette meltdown which resulted in a key FG be explained? Brendan Circle's "catch" that magically put the Tigers in FG range? Eight straight rushes at the end of the game that seemed like they were straight out of Princeton's 1903 playbook? (In 1903, Princeton won the national championship, and also beat Lafayette 11-0.)

Pard4Life
September 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Thx PFL! Bring your A game, bring your heads, bring your spine, just don't bring defeat. Damn, I should been a coach :)

I will be bringing my stomach to the picnic! :rotateh:

Pards Rule
September 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Carney, leave the curse at home.

carney2
September 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Carney, leave the curse at home.

It's not mine. I can neither bring it nor leave it. The Curse just is. This week's "game" is not about football. It's a war between good and evil.

Even though it probably won't work (there are only two ways to break the Curse, and this isn't one of them), I think that we should hold an exorcism - either at this week's Princeton tailgate or before the Yale game.