PDA

View Full Version : Vote for App State - best tailgating in the South

Skjellyfetti
August 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM
One of 15 schools selected by Southern Living for the best tailgating in the South... along with Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, Tennessee, etc.

Currently in 2nd place.

You can vote once per day. And votes count twice on Saturday.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/souths-best-tailgate-00417000079290/?team=2

Apphole
August 17th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Bad idea posting it here. AGS will yield more anti App votes than App votes.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Correct. Roll Tide.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I have been to Bryant Denny Stadium and The Rock

Tailgating - Advantage - The Rock

People - Advantage The Rock

Stadium - Advantage Tide but its still not that great

I would go to Boone to watch a game 100 out of 100 times before hitting Tuscaloser again

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
If I could pick two places to tailgate in the south it would be Clemson and Ole Miss. The coed quality is off the charts imo...

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 17th, 2013, 12:48 PM
If I could pick two places to tailgate in the south it would be Clemson and Ole Miss. The coed quality is off the charts imo...

Ole Miss is Awesome, you are correct about the quality, never been to Clemson.

Skjellyfetti
August 17th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Nah, I disagree.

The haters are just the loudest.

There will be some that vote against us because of their pettiness, but there are more good folks around here than bad ones.

IBleedYellow
August 17th, 2013, 03:49 PM
2 votes from me.

Tied for 1st now!

lionsrking2
August 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I've been to 9 of the 15 on this particular list ... LSU blows them all away, and it's not close. Ole Miss would be 2nd because The Grove makes for a special atmosphere, but nobody tailgates like 120,000 ridiculously drunk cajuns. I say 120,000 because they'll get an extra 20 or 30K show up on campus without tickets for huge games.

As an aside, not sure why Virginia Tech is a choice, other than the beautiful campus ... the tailgate atmosphere in Blacksburg was not very good compared to typical SEC tailgates. Florida and Auburn should be on the list IMO.

ButlerGSU
August 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I've been to 9 of the 15 on this particular list ... LSU blows them all away, and it's not close. Ole Miss would be 2nd because The Grove makes for a special atmosphere, but nobody tailgates like 120,000 ridiculously drunk cajuns. I say 120,000 because they'll get an extra 20 or 30K show up on campus without tickets for huge games.

As an aside, not sure why Virginia Tech is a choice, other than the beautiful campus ... the tailgate atmosphere in Blacksburg was not very good compared to typical SEC tailgates. Florida and Auburn should be on the list IMO.

Agreed. There were several on the list that are completely suspect. Vandy...Oklahoma State...while leaving off several that certainly should be on there.

lionsrking2
August 17th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Agreed. There were several on the list that are completely suspect. Vandy...Oklahoma State...while leaving off several that certainly should be on there.

I will say this for Vandy ... for a small stadium on what is essentially an urban campus, the atmosphere is not bad. Last time I was there for a football game was 10 or 11 years ago when they were terrible, and was still a decent tailgate. Now that they're on the rise, I could imagine it being quite a bit better. The area around Vandy is nice, especially when packed with football fans.

gumby013
August 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Ole Miss will walk away with this. The Grove is on a different level.

SpeedkingATL
August 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM
LSU and Ole Miss are great and UGA ain't bad. Still love the Rock!

Ivytalk
August 17th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Marshall? WTF?xconfusedx

seantaylor
August 18th, 2013, 01:15 AM
A certain school in south Georgia should certainly be on this list. Only ones I've been to on the list are VT and Clemson. VT was terrible. Clemson was nothing special. South Carolina has better tailgating than Clemson, and that is no great shakes either.

ThompsonThe
August 18th, 2013, 04:38 AM
A certain school in south Georgia should certainly be on this list. Only ones I've been to on the list are VT and Clemson. VT was terrible. Clemson was nothing special. South Carolina has better tailgating than Clemson, and that is no great shakes either.
Agree. The Eagles should have been on there. But do not think of Reinhardt University as South Georgia. And it is their first football game ever in a couple of weeks when they play Mercer University, who hasn't played football themselves since 1942.

Apphole
August 18th, 2013, 08:53 AM

I did enjoy the low country boil type fare with some very nice GaSo folks while I was there last year.

"Southern Living chose the 15 universities based on the following criteria: most spirited, traditionalists (schools renowned for gameday rituals), powerhouses (Southern schools with a history of winning on and off the field) and style-setters."

You guys are spirited and have the W/L record for sure, but are there any tailgating rituals and unique things that you feel should have The Stink up for consideration?

FormerPokeCenter
August 18th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I've been to LSU, and I've been to App....while I LOVED my trip to App, I mean, seriously loved it!, as in it's my favorite McRoad trip thus far, the tailgating didn't compare favorably with ours....now....I will say that I really liked the wide variety of tailgating that was spread out and sorta tucked in different nooks and crannies around the school...

I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I'm used to a heavily concentrated area of boisterous, loud and friendly tailgating....

It is cool that App's up at the top with the school's mentioned, though....

Apphole
August 18th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I've been to LSU, and I've been to App....while I LOVED my trip to App, I mean, seriously loved it!, as in it's my favorite McRoad trip thus far, the tailgating didn't compare favorably with ours....now....I will say that I really liked the wide variety of tailgating that was spread out and sorta tucked in different nooks and crannies around the school...

I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I'm used to a heavily concentrated area of boisterous, loud and friendly tailgating....

It is cool that App's up at the top with the school's mentioned, though....

Compared to other big schools where I've tailgated (NCSU, ECU, VT ect), App is more of a vast collection of smaller parking areas than one giant fairground simply because of the concise layout of the campus.

I like it though, because there's something for everyone at any particular lot. The student lots (there are a few but Raley is the main event), you'll find rowdiness and debauchery to compete with anyone; beer bongs, flip cup -- the works). You have stadium and other alumni lots that center on great food, but have your share of stiff drink as well. We've also got tons of specially outfitted vehicles which are always really cool to see. App War Machine is my favorite. They've got WW2 era army vehicles painted matt black, covered in Block A's and outfitted with roof top bars ect. There's also the App Short bus, several other Apped out former school buses and the General Moore (an App edition of the Dukes of Hazard) among others.

http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/photos/appalachian_state_footbal/the-deuce1.jpg

http://www.tailgatewiki.com/assets/uploads/NCAA%20Football/Appalachian%20State/100000.jpg

http://taylortailgates.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/mountains_view_1.jpg

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/2008/0825/0829_525_moore.jpg

Tailgating gets down right competitive at App. Tailgate of the year is a COVETED honor. Big C's Tailgate is always a front runner (Chuck is my tailgating sensai), but the competition is fierce.

There are 15+ bars in the immediate campus area as well, with near by King St teaming with string bands on the sidewalk, excellent dining and several stores to pick up your App gear. Food trucks can be found at certain places now. The band comes around and plays for tailgaters for hours before the game. Obviously the picturesque setting helps create the App State Football ambiance as well.

The App tailgating culture is truly one of a kind. Only a few more weeks....

Eaglesrus
August 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I did enjoy the low country boil type fare with some very nice GaSo folks while I was there last year.

"Southern Living chose the 15 universities based on the following criteria: most spirited, traditionalists (schools renowned for gameday rituals), powerhouses (Southern schools with a history of winning on and off the field) and style-setters."

You guys are spirited and have the W/L record for sure, but are there any tailgating rituals and unique things that you feel should have The Stink up for consideration?

And you're certainly welcome to come back whenever we play in Paulson again.

Apphole
August 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
And you're certainly welcome to come back whenever we play in Paulson again.

Thanks buddy. It was nice meeting you all. I won't be there for Black Saturday this year, but I'm sure Mike and many others would be happy to host you if you're making the trip.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM

I've attended a Bedlam Game ( OK State vs Oklahoma) in Boone Pickens Stadium and there is nothing suspect about the tailgating there. The game was on a Saturday at 7 PM. People starting setting up their canopies to reserve space on Wednesday! And it appeared that you could set up on any lawn of any building on campus!! I rode my bike around campus at 11 AM on Saturday morning and tailgating was already off to a rousing start! There was a large lot for RVs across the street from the stadium. And like others have mentioned, there were thousands tailgating who didn't go into the game. It was an incredible experience with my niece and her friends.

And I got there by driving from Florida through Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. It was pretty obvious that Stillwater is not in the South!! Using the "Nine Nations of North America" as a guide, OK State would be in the Bread Basket Nation which seemed appropriate to me.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 18th, 2013, 12:19 PM
On one hand, its great for a program to have the support of the fans, but its also kinda strange , that people show up for a game 3 or 4 days before its played and sit in a parking lot, must be nice to have that kind of time on your hands that you can do that.

CID1990
August 18th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I've tailgates at a LOT of schools, many of which are on the list. I enjoy football games in Boone.

But

Anyone who thinks 95% of those schools belong in a tailgating poll with Ole Miss is grossly misinformed, and certainly has not tailgated at Ole Miss.

ASUMountaineer
August 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I've tailgates at a LOT of schools, many of which are on the list. I enjoy football games in Boone.

But

Anyone who thinks 95% of those schools belong in a tailgating poll with Ole Miss is grossly misinformed, and certainly has not tailgated at Ole Miss.

Don't doubt it for a second...I've always wanted to hit up the Grove. They have quite the head start on us hillbillies, but we're working on it.

ASUMountaineer
August 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM

Valdosta State?

pike51
August 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Valdosta State?

HA HA! They tailgate better for the Lowndes and Valdosta High football games on Friday nights than VSU could ever dream of.

AppMan
August 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM

But

The Grove is certainly on my bucket list, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like folks are packed in that place like sardines. I like a little more space to stretch out and move around. I enjoyed tailgating at Brittlebank Park in Charleston. It's a bit of a walk to the stadium, but the scenery is outstanding and I much prefer it to that crowed gravel lot with all the dust flying about. That is one of the things I'm gonna miss leaving the SoCon.

McNeese75
August 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM
The Grove is certainly on my bucket list, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like folks are packed in that place like sardines. I like a little more space to stretch out and move around. I enjoyed tailgating at Brittlebank Park in Charleston. It's a bit of a walk to the stadium, but the scenery is outstanding and I much prefer it to that crowed gravel lot with all the dust flying about. That is one of the things I'm gonna miss leaving the SoCon.

Yeah, but some of those sardines .....