PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Mentions On 26 Numbers to Know - Week Three

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM
0: Nicholls State completed 0 passes in its 56-7 loss to Nebraska. Nicholls is the first team not to complete a pass in a game involving at least one I-A team since Rice turned in a goose egg against BYU in 1996.

$40,000: Division II Chadron State got $40,000 for being I-AA Montana State's sacrificial lamb on Saturday. Problem is, it was the Bobcats who were sacrificed, losing 35-24.

$275,000: On a positive note for the Bobcats, they took home $275,000 the week before and also got a victory against Colorado. So, they're even in the won-loss column, but $235,000 up on the balance sheet.

42: As for the Buffs, they can't feel good knowing they lost to a team (Montana State) that lost to a team (Chadron State), that gave up 42 points last year to something called Fort Lewis, whose previous claim to fame was as the first college head coaching gig for Gary Barnett.

Speaking of Gary, the whole I-AA thing hasn't worked well for any of his former employers, as Northwestern lost to New Hampshire this week. The victims of I-AA upsets can take a little solace in the next two numbers …

6: New Hampshire is No. 6 in the Scripps Howard computer rankings this week, right in between Georgia and Florida and 11 spots ahead of defending national champ Texas. That's believed to be the highest spot ever for a I-AA team in the rankings, which began in 1966, 12 years before there was such a thing as I-AA.

Sadly for New Hampshire, the Scripps Howard computer is no longer part of the BCS Formula, perhaps due to the fact that it would spit out New Hampshire at No. 6. By the way, the next highest I-AA team is Montana State at 54. Maybe that loss to Chadron State wasn't as bad as it seemed.

4: In a five year span between 1999 and 2003, 4 Associated Press NFL MVP's hailed from I-AA schools (Steve McNair, Rich Gannon, and Kurt Warner, who won it twice). Still, no matter how many numbers we throw at you, the I-AA loss can't exactly be construed as a good thing. Neither can these numbers …

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=revsine_dave&id=2586871