PDA

View Full Version : I-AA television show

putter
September 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Do you think this could happen? I would think between all the ESPN channels, CSTV, Fox, Altitude that some network could devote 30 minutes to a football show about I-AA (PCS) football. How could we make this happen?

Dane96
September 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I swear to g-d I was thinking about this the other day. YES...it will happen. Why? Money...money...money.

Saint3333
September 15th, 2006, 03:22 PM
$$$ is the reason it will probably not happen...

Dane96
September 15th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Huh? ADVERTISING....there is a whole untapped market...it will happen.

blukeys
September 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Do you think this could happen? I would think between all the ESPN channels, CSTV, Fox, Altitude that some network could devote 30 minutes to a football show about I-AA (PCS) football. How could we make this happen?

We could use Grizo's millions to buy a television network!!!xlolx xlolx

ASU Kep
September 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Seriously. A half-hour show on ESPN2 even if it's on at like 11 o' clock or something could make some bank, IMO. Look at the ratings for last year's title game. We don't get covered a lot, but there are a lot of diehard I-AA fans (obviously) who would tune in religiously. Theres so much crap on the ESPN's these days anyway. It wouldn't cost much at all to make, either, probably.

rokamortis
September 15th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Why not just start with a serial online video - vblog - and go from there? This is something that can be done much more reasonably than a TV show. Then we can demonstrate the demand and quality of the show to potential suitors. I'm sure it is easier to sell a product that already exists with a proven national audience.

:twocents:

Saint3333
September 15th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Huh? ADVERTISING....there is a whole untapped market...it will happen.

It will not happen on ESPN or ESPN2 they'd rather put 24 hours of 1-A football coverage on Saturdays. 1-AA alums (and their families) make up ~ 80% of their fan base, while 1-A alums probably don't make up 10% of their fan bases and thus they drive TV revenues and scheduling.

I would love ASU to get more TV coverage, but I don't believe there is a market to put it a national televised 1-AA show on a basic cable station. The mid-major 1-A conferences don't even get national coverage. Maybe the A-10, SoCon, etc. could get a regional show, that would be a good start.

Grizo406
September 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
We could use Grizo's millions to buy a television network!!!xlolx xlolx

I've thought about it, blu, but I just can't do it.

As insightful, smart, creative, kind, politically astute, and funny as our AGS community is, I don't think they're ready, or could handle a television network that would be based on the true beauty, genius, and studliness of the Grizo...not at this time, anyway.

That is my gift to you all.:nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH_ORACLE
September 15th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Why not just start with a serial online video - vblog - and go from there? This is something that can be done much more reasonably than a TV show. Then we can demonstrate the demand and quality of the show to potential suitors. I'm sure it is easier to sell a product that already exists with a proven national audience.

It's crazy you guys mention this, I actually sent Ralph a message about 1-AA highlights online. I really want to see UNH highlights, but never will because they aren't broadcast nationally. I think it Ralph could adjunct a vblog to this site and have people upload highlights of their team, interviews, and all other video 1-AA material. Instead of giving ESPN or some other network the market, it is definitely viable to do it online. Many of the networks are moving into the online video market. ESPN has 360 and MTV has after drive or something. Since you say that there is a market for 1-AA broadcasts, we should combine that with this emerging market of online video. This would also attract all the players in 1-AA not just the fans. This needs to happen!!

McTailGator
September 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Find enough sponsors willing to buy up 30 minutes of ESPN's time.

walliver
September 15th, 2006, 07:26 PM
The idea of a 30 minute highlights show is great, but I don't think ESPN is the place to do it. ESPN doesn't do a good job with I-A IMHO. They focus way too much on superstar individuals at the expense of covering teams. I fear they would do worse with CS football. It would probably be better to have this show inedpendently produced and shown on another network such as the Fox Sports networks.

An online show would be nice, but you would need the cooperation of the schools and conferences to obtain high quality legal video.

UNH_ORACLE
September 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM
An online show would be nice, but you would need the cooperation of the schools and conferences to obtain high quality legal video.

How diifficult do you think it would be to acheive cooperation? I would think that they would be all for it. How do the conferences or schools view exposure? Is exposure good until it could be profits for their school or conference? In any event, it's definitely the kind of exposure 1-AA needs.

September 15th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Just last week I got a price estimate on a satellite dish to receive broadcast highlights. CSN/I-AA.org could take them and broadcast it either via TV or the web. Cost for the equipment is only $1K... another aspect to I-AA WAVES?

blukeys
September 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Just last week I got a price estimate on a satellite dish to receive broadcast highlights. CSN/I-AA.org could take them and broadcast it either via TV or the web. Cost for the equipment is only $1K... another aspect to I-AA WAVES?

The equipment is only 1 K but what were the other ongoing costs? By the way could the show be targeted for local advertisers so that Delaware advertisers could be assured of a largely local audience.

The music business (as Ralph knows) is being increasingly segmented and specialized with, in my view phenomenal results. Wiith the right cost structure so could I-AA football.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'm finding out that: if you make the show, someone will be happy to broadcast it. Lehigh creates a "Lehigh Sports Weekly" show, basically home-grown, and Fox Sports broadcasts it. Why can't this work with I-AA?

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM
It would be awesome to use a youtube type format to upload highlights from each market. It might require a little work and maybe some software, but I know UNI's game are replayed Sunday morning with no commericals or downtime. so between that and the coaches show I could definitely post some video if I could get it figured out.

kardplayer
September 16th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Here's an idea - tap into the TIVO-carrying I-AA audience first.

Instead of buying a half hour on ESPN2 at 11am Saturday morning, buy time on some random network that most households have (comedy central, discovery, etc.) at 3:00am then promote the heck out of it on school websites and tell people to "set your DVR's for 'This week in I-AA'".

Build the audience that way, and then bring it to a better time period when people are actually awake.

You may think this is nuts, but CBS just did exactly this with the series premiere of "The Class" to try and build an audience.

kats89
September 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM
if I-AA's continue to knock off I-A's then it will happen. I think it could happen when they change the name of the divisions.:twocents:

UNHWildCats
September 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I think the first step for a I-AA tv show would be for a tv station in one of the bigger I-AA markets to produce the show and then maybe offer it to other I-AA area tv stations for a fee.

As for a national sports network to do a show I think the best bet would be Fox Sports.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Not so fast my friend. We could replay whatever. Do you really think schools would complain about free promo? I don't see schools suing over the video people have posted on you tube. Maybe that's the answer for now. Start threads with links to highlights of this weeks game on youtube.