PDA

View Full Version : SLC: 2013 Stat leaders... who will it be?

BEAR
August 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Let's try to guess who will be the stat leaders for the SLC in 2013. Not every team will have a winning record but they might have a really good player on the team that will lead the conference in one stat or another. Let's look at the "major" stats and some smaller ones and try to predict who will be the conference leader in those stats at the end of the year.

First the 2012 leader and his stats, then your predictions: You can pick one particular stat if you have a player on your team who excels, i.e. Flanders will repeat. Then guess his stats. Flanders will have 1456 rushing yards this year. I'm just trying to get the SLC fans hyped for the season and a little conversation going because our boards are DEAD for the most part. xbangx xlolx

RUSHING

2012: 1. Flanders, Tim-SHSU JR 15 288 1642 5.7 17 71 109.5 ypg

Passing:

2012: 1. Attaway, Brady-SFA JR 11 334 - 570 - 21 58.6 3671 29 77 333.7

Receiving Yards per game:

2012: 1. Roberson, Cordell-SFA SR 111.8 YPG

Total Offense:

2012: 1. Attaway, Brady-SFA JR 11 -153 3671 590 3518 319.8 (Smothers right behind him and even had more yards)

Tackles

2012: 1. Piper, Jordan-NICH SR 11 LB 107 tackles

Sacks

2012: 1. Jefferson, Willie-SFA SR 11 DE 8 sacks

Tackles for loss: ( I like this one, shows aggression)

2012: 1. Taylor, Darius-SHSU SR 14 LB 16 TFL

fmrbearkat
August 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Rushing will be the same....tackles will be tanner Brock 1st and Eric Fielo 3rd or 4th. Attaway will prob be leading passer again.

lionsrking2
August 13th, 2013, 08:13 PM
If he stays healthy, I think there's a better than average chance Bryan Bennett leads the league in total offense ... wouldn't be surprised if he's near the top nationally. He could easily go for 3,000+ yards passing and 600+ yards rushing - or more.

Sammy94
August 14th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Attaway should lead in INTs also.

Sam_Kats
August 14th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Bennett will have plenty of chances if the defense gives up 70 again. Surely, the Lions can cash ONE in this year. :D

Flanders leads rushing.
Attaway leads passing.
Roberson leads rec'vg
Brock/Love tie for tackles.
Some guy from Lamar gets an award because it's 2013 & everyone gets a lollipop
SELA coach gets COTY because they're tired of giving it to Fritz & Conque.

SH/UCA play for the conference title on The Stripes. Streak ends.

Sammy94
August 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Roberson leads rec'vg

He graduated.

fmrbearkat
August 14th, 2013, 09:18 AM
He graduated.

Roberson did graduate but somebody from SFA will lead it. They always find a good reciever and get him the ball ALOT!

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Flanders leads rushing. (I second that)
Attaway leads passing. (Smothers has backs this year, his numbers go down)
Dez Lewis leads rec'vg (He's gonna have to make up for two receivers)
Woodard for tackles for loss. 6'6" and 271 lb Defensive End. Yeah.
Brock for tackles

Bears lose on the stripes. No one actually thinks it will go 3 years. But early in the season most likely when team chemistry is lacking.

I think McNeese will have a better year than their fans expect. They were better last year than their team showed.

Sammy94
August 14th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Roberson did graduate but somebody from SFA will lead it. They always find a good reciever and get him the ball ALOT!

I think it will be D.J. Ward SFA or Dezmin Lewis UCA that leads in rec.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I think it will be D.J. Ward SFA or Dezmin Lewis UCA that leads in rec.

Oh...nice choice. Nearly forgot him. Yeah, I can see him before Lewis with Smothers numbers going down.

fmrbearkat
August 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Oh...nice choice. Nearly forgot him. Yeah, I can see him before Lewis with Smothers numbers going down.

Agreed....Smothers is the best QB in the league by a long shot. But UCA doesn't have an air rade offense like SFA does. Hard not to lead the league in passing and recieving when you throw the ball 50-60 times a game.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Agreed....Smothers is the best QB in the league by a long shot. But UCA doesn't have an air rade offense like SFA does. Hard not to lead the league in passing and recieving when you throw the ball 50-60 times a game.

Agreed. Might be the reason SFA's QB is leading in INTs also. But it does give the receivers more chances at catching the ball. I just think UCA will be more run oriented this year. Lots of freshman at receiver.

Sam_Kats
August 14th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Roberson is coming back. Harper plays him all year. SFA sanctions take heat off Johnny Football. Sumlin survives.

Kats still win conference.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Roberson is coming back. Harper plays him all year. SFA sanctions take heat off Johnny Football. Sumlin survives.

Kats still win conference.

Kats share conference.....again.

Sammy94
August 14th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Roberson is coming back.

Come on now, I don't think he is giving up his NFL dream just yet. I know Cleveland sucks but its not as bad as Nac. and he already is use to playing for a loser.

Sam_Kats
August 14th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Come on, Bear - it's gonna be no fun for y'all to lose on the stripes to some loser program like SFA or McNeese :D

Wait 'til 11/23

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Come on, Bear - it's gonna be no fun for y'all to lose on the stripes to some loser program like SFA or McNeese :D

Wait 'til 11/23

Hey I think McNeese will be able to do it before SFA..even though SFA rained on our parade of going undefeated last year. xlolx

I think Sam fans will be amazed at the end of the year just who will be on top and who was "supposed" to be on top. :D

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I think 3 teams will go to the playoffs this year if it expands to 24 teams...

Sam
UCA
McNeese

I just realized UCA went 6-1 in conference the last two years...and I think we are better this year. Most likely 6-1 or even 5-2, but playoff bound.

Sammy94
August 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I think Sam fans will be amazed at the end of the year just who will be on top and who was "supposed" to be on top.

Man I can't wait for my trip to Arky in November.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Me either! But avoid the deadly federal I-40 construction near Conway... concrete barriers on both sides in some spots. Conway residents are MORE than ready for it to finish...Safe travels!

fmrbearkat
August 14th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Damn if this scenario plays out its going to be hard to not make a little trip to conway! Bad thing is my wife is due middle of December so im not sure she is going to be to happy if i go. Its only a 2.5 hr plane ride though so i might can get away with it. WIll have an extra seat if i do go and someone wants to hop on for the ride!

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Where are the Lion, Lumberjack, and Colonel fans? Cowboys you there?

lionsrking2
August 14th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I think Sam fans will be amazed at the end of the year just who will be on top and who was "supposed" to be on top. :D

I agree with this.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Ahhhh.... I have awaken a Lion fan.... xlolx

lionsrking2
August 14th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Ahhhh.... I have awaken a Lion fan.... xlolx

Whachya talkin' about, I was the second response in the thread ... just sitting back, watching it all unfold with amusement. xsmiley_wix

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I'm excited to see what the Lions have to bring to the table this year. If the SLC has 4 strong teams who do well against OOC competition, maybe the SLC can gain in playoff bids or reputation.

lionsrking2
August 14th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I'm excited to see what the Lions have to bring to the table this year. If the SLC has 4 strong teams who do well against OOC competition, maybe the SLC can gain in playoff bids or reputation.

We're plenty excited too. We're a lot better on both sides of the ball ... we'll see where it takes us.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Who should the SLC fans look out for on the lions? Is there a playmaker or two on the team that might hold the stat lead at the end of the season? Besides the obvious..how about a newcomer or transfer?

lionsrking2
August 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Who should the SLC fans look out for on the lions? Is there a playmaker or two on the team that might hold the stat lead at the end of the season? Besides the obvious..how about a newcomer or transfer?

For starters, I think Bryan Bennett will be in the Payton hunt if we can keep him healthy ... we knew he was talented, but he's been better than anticipated in all aspects. He can sit in the pocket and chunk it 70 yds or pull it down and go 80. He's also proving to be a great leader with an outstanding work ethic ... He's the real deal.

Not sure we'll have one guy to have huge receiving numbers, but I do look for Marquis Fruge, Chris Malott, Tony McCrea and Jeremy Meyers to have good years. Jeff Smiley is back in the slot, and also look for JC transfers Isaiah Kepley, Marquis Hayes and Kendrick Peeples, Arizona FBS transfer, Jarrell Bennett, and walk-on revelation, Byron Johnson, to add quality depth.

We should be strong at RB ... we have four good ones who will get carries, though I see Rasheed Harrell rising above the pack ... we had to take the redshirt off last year the second half of season and he ran well ... he's 10-15 lbs stronger and having a great camp, as is our other freshmen from last year, Xavier Roberson. We've also added Wyoming transfer, Kody Sutton, and JC transfer Darrius Guy who are also doing well. All four are sophomores and complement one another well.

Offensive line is bigger and deeper with several JC additions ... we'll start three 5th year seniors, including Gasten Gabriel who's an All-Conference type LT ... the big add is D.J. Williams (6-6, 320) from Garden City CC. He had a lot of FBS interest but fell to us because he was a May/summer graduate ... he's got a chance to be a dominant RT in this league.

Defensively, CB Todd Washington is an NFL prospect, following on the heels of Robert Alford ... Gil Brandt just listed him at No. 76 (Top FCS CB, 2nd FCS overall) on his Hot 100 Seniors prospect list on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000228358/article/hot-100-seniors-ots-jake-matthews-taylor-lewan-rank-at-top) ... we'll have a couple of sophomores on the opposite side who are very talented in Harlan Miller and Denzel Thompson. Wouldn't surprise me if Thompson is near the top of the league in picks - he's 6-3, almost 6-4, with long arms and very good ball skills ... he'll play both corner and safety and should be in position to make a lot of plays.

LB Cqulin Hubert has moved from OLB to MLB and could challenge as the overall tackle leader in the SLC ... he's on the Butkus Watch List and drawing some NFL interest ... JC transfer LB, Isaiah Corbett, is a pass rush machine who could challenge for sacks and TFL's ... Kaleb Muse (led us in tackles last year) moves from middle to outside and is the strongest player on the team ... all three are in the 250 lb range.

The area where we've really upgraded is the defensive line. Last year, we averaged about 250-260 - this year, we'll average in the 280 to 300+ range, depending on the rotation. Look for JC transfer Jacob Newman (6-2, 290) to have a big impact, along with JC transfers, Jon Andrews (6-1, 280), A.J. Bowen (6-2, 320) and William Stream (6-4, 320) ... Jeremy Williams (6-2, 290) is back from last year and has added about 10 lbs of good weight ... same with Greg Triay (6-2, 280). Scott Korte (6-4, 265) has put on good weight and has a fast motor ... true freshman, Titus Charles (5-11, 320) is a run plugger who should give us solid depth at nose tackle.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Alright Cowboy fans.... let's hear it! Who's your beast back? Who's the QB that's gonna lead you to the playoffs? Who are your all-americans? Who we gotta watch out for this fall?

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Nice work LionsRking2!

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 04:29 PM
The reason I like asking these types of questions is because the "media guides" usually have outdated information and fans are usually the ones that keep up with the team on a regular basis. I'll be writing the UCA one very soon.

fmrbearkat
August 14th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Nice rundown king! Hope y'all get the 2nd or 3rd playoff spot! At least help keep the other Louisiana schools out! Y'all definately are the classiest school in that state!

McNeese72
August 14th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I think McNeese will have a better year than their fans expect. They were better last year than their team showed.

Nah, don't mind us, we aren't going to be any good. ;)

Doc

McNeese72
August 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Where are the Lion, Lumberjack, and Colonel fans? Cowboys you there?

Cowboy fans are just hiding in the bushes.

Doc

McNeese72
August 14th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Alright Cowboy fans.... let's hear it! Who's your beast back? Who's the QB that's gonna lead you to the playoffs? Who are your all-americans? Who we gotta watch out for this fall?

Beast or best? We still have two of the BMW trio. Marcus Wiltz and Javaris Murray. But watch out for Kelvin Bennett. He is a speedster like Toddrick Pendland was but a little bigger (actually I think he is Toddrick's first cousin). Look for some fullbacks to be running on short yardage plays this season.

As far as QB, it will be Cody Stroud back for his senior year.

A freshman to watch out far would be Kent Shelby. A 6' 3" 190 Lb WR. He was the one that caught the long TD pass for Louisiana in the Bayou Bowl. He is turning heads in training camp. He is making every pass that is like a rebound in basketball his.

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Sweet! Great write up McNeese72!

I like to look for players on the field that I hear will be effective for their teams. McNeese had that game against the Bears won last year...but anyways... xlolx

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 06:32 PM
UCA-

QB- Wynrick Smothers. 3100 yards passing and nearly 500 rushing for over 30 TDs last year. He's back for his senior season. The Bears also have Hayden Hildebrand and an Arkansas transfer in Tyler Reed to back him up. Both have shown accuracy in practice and fans are excited to have a stable back up to Smothers.

RB - Now this is a diversified group!
Danzel Williams - Soph. A four star recruit that transferred from the Oklahoma Sooners is showing great speed in practice along with great cutting ability.
The class is full of freshman that are big and most likely will be used in short yardage situations. Willie Matthews, JR, and Kelton Warren are both VERY fast. Both remind me of Leonard Ceasar and Brent Grimes, former UCA RBs.

WR- Dezmin Lewis and Jaquon Goodman both pose 6'4" threats at this position and both can catch. But the player to watch out for is Jatovious Wilson. At only 5'9" this guy has burned CBs in practice. GREAT hands and he's learning Conque's system quickly. Burdette and Whitehead round off this tall class.

PK- The Cowboy killa Eddie Camara is back. 27/34 on field goals and 97/100 on Xpoints.
p- Three guys are vying for the punting job but one of them is pretty darn good and I think its Jonathan Harrison..a CC transfer. We have one punter that's 6'6" and one that's 6'4"..it's hard to tell who's kicking at practices when numbers don't match up.

OL- this OL group is the biggest I've seen at UCA. 4 Jrs and the rest freshman or sophs have a lot to learn but the gap between 1st string and second string is narrowing. solid.

Defense: A strength for UCA this year.

DL- Big and the most aggressive I've seen in years. Hornbuckle and Willis are beasts and ready to go!

LBs- Sr. Justin Heard and Fr. Aum'arie Wallace lead a fast group that will be more than capable of slowing down a run game or altering a pass game.

DE- Johnathan Woodard not only has size and speed but field smarts as well. He's a rare one and reminds me of Jacob Ford. DE will be solid again this year.

DB- As I reflect on the DBs from practice, I can say for sure that they stick with their receivers VERY closely. I can't remember who's who, maybe because numbers are never right in practice, but I have confidence teams will have difficulty throwing this year. Jestin Love is a senior and he wants it to be his best year.

I'm optimistic about the defense and the offense is taking a while to gel but a game vs. IW will help. Great year overall ahead IMO. Not perfect, but great!

McNeese75
August 14th, 2013, 06:39 PM

:D

BEAR
August 14th, 2013, 06:55 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Larry+the+Lumberjack.+HIT+ME_3d4f82_3528264.jpg

Sammy94
August 15th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Here you go Bear:

QB

Brian Bell starts his senior season as the Kats leader in wins (30), career passing yards (6,165), total offensive yards (7,080) , career TD passes (52), career completions (450) and career attempts (770). Not to mention he has back to back National Championship appearances and Southland Conference titles. Bell should have a phenomenal senior season with the key players returning as well in Tim Flanders, Richard Sincere and a healthy Torrance Williams along with second year OC Doug Ruse. Together, they look to improve upon the offense that scored 600 points last season.

RB

Since his arrival, Timothy Flanders has set 31 school rushing records, named Southland Conference Player of the Year in consecutive seasons (2011 & 2012), twice voted a finalist for the FCS Walter Payton Award (2011 & 2012), Southland Conference Freshman of the Year (2010), First Team All Southland Conference (2010,2011 &2012) and list continues. Flanders is also only 461 yards away from being the Southland Conference All Time leading rusher. Flanders leads a talented group of running backs into the 2013 campaign as they make the drive for a third consecutive appearance on the national stage.

WR
Chance Nelson returns in 2013 with what has become a VERY talented group, led by seniors Richard Sincere and Torrance Williams. Sincere and Williams didnt have the big season in 2012 that everyone was looking forward to because of injuries. Williams ended up missing the majority of the season with a knee problem, Sincere got banged up in the midpoint of the season. Sincere has been a VITAL part to this offense and this teams success by either receiving, rushing the ball or running the Wild Bearkat formation. Sincere begins his senior season ranked #10 in all purpose yards at Sam Houston. He has been a two time All Southland Conference selection, Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Year and All-American in 2011.

OL

This group will be young and have a lot of work to do in order to return the offense to the high level it played last year. Fritz returns one starter(Donald Jackson) but does have a few backups that have seen significant playing time. Coach Tatum (Offensive Line Coach) has done a phenomenal job the last couple of years and Fritz has done a good job of recruiting the right kids, bringing in bigger stronger lineman. One thing that Tatum has done with this position is having the ability to put anyone at any position along the front so we will shall see how this unit comes together after the first few games.

DL

I don't think there has ever been a more talented group of defensive lineman that has set foot on the field in Bowers Stadium. The cupboard was definitely not left bare for first year defensive coordinator Mike Collins, this could be one of the deepest, if not deepest position on the team. It most certainly will be the most experienced.

LB

Like the defensive line, the linbacker position is full of good, solid football players that will look to keep this Kat defense at the top of the conference . Kat linebackers have been an integral part of the strong run defense and also keeping pressure on the opposing team. Tanner Brock, a transfer from TCU, was a Phil Steele third-team All-American, a SI.com honorable-mention All-American and a first-team All-Mountain West Conference after leading TCU in tackles (106) during his last season of play returns to the field this time for the Kats. Brock along with the return of Eric Fieilo from injury will have this unit the top in the SLC and perhaps the nation.

DB

One of the main concerns for Frtiz and staff coming into the 2013 season was not just the offensive line, but also the secondary. Coach Fritz has had the luxury the last several years of having a group of players that were probably the best collective unit in FCS. There will have to be some young players and some returning players step up their game in order to fill some big shoes this football season. Bookie Sneed is the lone returning starter for this season and it will be up to him to be the leader of this group if this defense is to return to its productive ways in shutting down opposing offenses. Fritz landed transfers from Boise State in Eric Agboraji and Texas A&M in Johntell Franklin to help bolster this unit.

K/P

True freshman Luc Swimberghe will be the kicker. He was the 19th ranked kicker in the nation by ESPN so I don't see a huge drop off in the kicking game.
Punting duties will be handle by a transfer, either Brad Dunavant from Toledo or Lachlan Edwards who played Australian Rules Football at the University of Ballarat in Victoria, Australia in 2012.

The Bearkat football team’s offensive seniors leaders – quarterback Brian Bell, running back Timothy Flanders and wide receiver/wildkat back Richard Sincere – have put up some impressive numbers during the past three years:

* 31 victories in 39 starts together
* Consecutive Southland Conference championships and trips to the national championship finals
* 7,017 yards and 85 touchdowns rushing
* 6,234 yards and 66 touchdowns passing

Those rushing, passing and receiving yards together add up to a total of nearly seven and a half miles of explosive offense for Sam Houston State University.

No wonder this year’s team motto is “The Highest Expectations”. We shall see how it turns out. Good luck to all.

BEAR
August 15th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Excellent! The SLC will be fun to watch this year! Thanks for the info on the Kats!

BEAR
August 15th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Has anyone else had a problem figuring out their team because the upperclassmen have been held out for whatever reasons or because as usual fall camps are "defense" friendly? Wish I could get a feel for this offense but I've seen so many players in and out of the lineups, 1st and 2nd string.. xlolx

Is it that way at your practices?

fmrbearkat
August 15th, 2013, 10:30 AM
With the DL we have coming back and this group of LB's it will once again be very very hard to run the ball on the Kats defense. We should have alot better pass rush this year which will hopefully help the secondary until they gel.

Gary Lorance DL 6-0 290 Sr.
Forbes Baggett DL 6-2 285 Sr.
Eric Humphrey DT 6-3 271 Jr.
Diamonte Wheeler DT 6-2 285 Jr.

The Defensive Tackles should be a combination of these 4 guys getting most of the snaps. Gary Lorance is our most productive Tackle coming back. He has been all conference 2 years in a row and has one of the best motors i have ever seen from a big boy. He never takes a play off and is always running to the ball. Baggott and Wheeler have the most snaps of the remaining group and with them coming in on 2nd rotation last year our D never missed a beat. Oklahoma transfer Humphrey should be a great addition to this group. He was a 4-star recruit coming out of high school and was ranked the #17 defensive tackle in the nation.

We return our two starting defensive ends from last year Jarret Brown and Andrew Weaver. They have been very productive over the last two seasons. After transfering in from Oklahoma as a sophmore Brown has 21 career starts and totaled 51 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 9 sacks and 2 interceptions. Weaver is also a transfer coming in as a Sophomore from Texas A&M and has been as good as advertised. At SHSU, Weaver has totaled 65 tackles, 15 for a loss, 10 sacks and 2 interceptions. His best season thus far was his sophomore year when he transferred when he was named to the All Southland Conference team.

There have been whispers from players and some coaches that Brock has been the best player on the field duriing spring and fall camp. Add that to Fieilo coming back from injury at 100% and stronger than he was during his monster 2011 campaign and the emergence of Beuchamp as a top LB in the conference last year and we are extremely stout on the front 7. If the LB's keep free of injury this will be one if not the best LB core in the country along with NDSU's group. Im very excited about watching this group play.

I will be curious to see the rotation of these guys. I have to think that Collins will be putting in some packages to get all 3 of them on the field. I would look for some 4-3 or even 3-3 packages and maybe even putting Brock at defensive end some on 3rd downs. At 6'3" 250lbs and extremely athletic he will be able to wreak some havoc in the backfield.

I know some of you has seen this video but some may not have. This just shows you the mentality of this kid. He is a little crazy and i think you have to have a little crazy to be a really good linebacker. Notice the hit is on another LB from SMU. Not some little guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osxwldf6b9o

Nickels
August 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Has anyone else had a problem figuring out their team because the upperclassmen have been held out for whatever reasons or because as usual fall camps are "defense" friendly? Wish I could get a feel for this offense but I've seen so many players in and out of the lineups, 1st and 2nd string.. xlolx

Based on this article posted yesterday ( http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&ATCLID=209130660&DB_OEM_ID=19900 ), it looks like we have our 1st string figured out for the most part.

fmrbearkat
August 15th, 2013, 10:37 AM

We don't have a real good handle of who the other starters are going to be in the secondary yet. The first 2 weeks of camp will usually involve everybody including the true freshman getting into the rotation. They want to gauge how they fare with the known starters or against the known starters to see if they can contribute right away or have improved enough right away. Thats why i didn't really go into names with the DB's and neither did 94 with the OL or DB's. We pretty much know who the other guys are going to be.

I think this would be a pretty common thing at most practices for this time of year. The next 2 weeks they should figure out the depth chart and 1's and 2's will be getting 90% of the reps and the rest will head to scout team.

fmrbearkat
August 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Based on this article posted yesterday ( http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&ATCLID=209130660&DB_OEM_ID=19900 ), it looks like we have our 1st string figured out for the most part.

Well i guess that answered my questions.....I didn't see that article yesterday. Thanks Nickles.

McNeese72
August 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Sweet! Great write up McNeese72!

I like to look for players on the field that I hear will be effective for their teams. McNeese had that game against the Bears won last year...but anyways... xlolx

But like I said don't mind us. We are nothing to be worried about.

Doc

fmrbearkat
August 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Doc

You know nobody believes that garbage!! McNeese is ALWAYS a tough win especially in Lake Chuck! Im sure yall will spoil something for somebody. I just hope between yall and SELA that somebody has a good enough season so we get 3 teams in the playoffs this year.

BEAR
August 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Games I'm looking forward to this year:

McNeese at USF. - espn3.
Central Arkansas at Colorado.- winnable, but they do have more schollys
Montana St. at SFA- nice showdown
Eastern Washington vs. Sam- ditto
SELA vs. Northwestern State- popcorn Saturday...road trip that is!
Sam vs. McNeese- cheering for those cowboys
Sam at UCA. - all the marbles..or just an exhibition game. xlolx

BEAR
August 15th, 2013, 01:04 PM

Doc

You guys can have that big black cast iron bowl that's sitting on coach's desk..he needs room for another SLC trophy...

Texas
August 15th, 2013, 07:25 PM
For starters, I think Bryan Bennett will be in the Payton hunt if we can keep him healthy ... we knew he was talented, but he's been better than anticipated in all aspects. He can sit in the pocket and chunk it 70 yds or pull it down and go 80. He's also proving to be a great leader with an outstanding work ethic ... He's the real deal.

Not sure we'll have one guy to have huge receiving numbers, but I do look for Marquis Fruge, Chris Malott, Tony McCrea and Jeremy Meyers to have good years. Jeff Smiley is back in the slot, and also look for JC transfers Isaiah Kepley, Marquis Hayes and Kendrick Peeples, Arizona FBS transfer, Jarrell Bennett, and walk-on revelation, Byron Johnson, to add quality depth.

We should be strong at RB ... we have four good ones who will get carries, though I see Rasheed Harrell rising above the pack ... we had to take the redshirt off last year the second half of season and he ran well ... he's 10-15 lbs stronger and having a great camp, as is our other freshmen from last year, Xavier Roberson. We've also added Wyoming transfer, Kody Sutton, and JC transfer Darrius Guy who are also doing well. All four are sophomores and complement one another well.

Offensive line is bigger and deeper with several JC additions ... we'll start three 5th year seniors, including Gasten Gabriel who's an All-Conference type LT ... the big add is D.J. Williams (6-6, 320) from Garden City CC. He had a lot of FBS interest but fell to us because he was a May/summer graduate ... he's got a chance to be a dominant RT in this league.

Defensively, CB Todd Washington is an NFL prospect, following on the heels of Robert Alford ... Gil Brandt just listed him at No. 76 (Top FCS CB, 2nd FCS overall) on his Hot 100 Seniors prospect list on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000228358/article/hot-100-seniors-ots-jake-matthews-taylor-lewan-rank-at-top) ... we'll have a couple of sophomores on the opposite side who are very talented in Harlan Miller and Denzel Thompson. Wouldn't surprise me if Thompson is near the top of the league in picks - he's 6-3, almost 6-4, with long arms and very good ball skills ... he'll play both corner and safety and should be in position to make a lot of plays.

LB Cqulin Hubert has moved from OLB to MLB and could challenge as the overall tackle leader in the SLC ... he's on the Butkus Watch List and drawing some NFL interest ... JC transfer LB, Isaiah Corbett, is a pass rush machine who could challenge for sacks and TFL's ... Kaleb Muse (led us in tackles last year) moves from middle to outside and is the strongest player on the team ... all three are in the 250 lb range.

The area where we've really upgraded is the defensive line. Last year, we averaged about 250-260 - this year, we'll average in the 280 to 300+ range, depending on the rotation. Look for JC transfer Jacob Newman (6-2, 290) to have a big impact, along with JC transfers, Jon Andrews (6-1, 280), A.J. Bowen (6-2, 320) and William Stream (6-4, 320) ... Jeremy Williams (6-2, 290) is back from last year and has added about 10 lbs of good weight ... same with Greg Triay (6-2, 280). Scott Korte (6-4, 265) has put on good weight and has a fast motor ... true freshman, Titus Charles (5-11, 320) is a run plugger who should give us solid depth at nose tackle.
So score will be SHSU 42 - SELA 7 this year?

Sent from my Nexus 4

lionsrking2
August 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM
So score will be SHSU 42 - SELA 7 this year?

Sent from my Nexus 4

We'll see come November 16. xsmiley_wix

Texas
August 15th, 2013, 10:26 PM
We'll see come November 16. xsmiley_wix

I mean we heard that last year after "strong" start in SLC then 70 points later...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

lionsrking2
August 15th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I mean we heard that last year after "strong" start in SLC then 70 points later...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ok ... we'll cancel the game then, save us the misery. xcoffeex

TheRevSFA
August 15th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Flanders leads rushing, attaway leads passing, TDs and picks, ward leads receiving,

Someone from Nicholls leads in tackles. They'll be on defense most of the time as is

McNeese75
August 16th, 2013, 09:47 AM
You guys can have that big black cast iron bowl that's sitting on coach's desk..he needs room for another SLC trophy...

I certainly hope he is as (over) confident as you are :D

fmrbearkat
August 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Ok ... we'll cancel the game then, save us the misery. xcoffeex

I think This would be an action better suited for Lamar and alloys to every conference game except Nichols!

Oldschool Colonel
August 16th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I think This would be an action better suited for Lamar and alloys to every conference game except Nichols!

Just keep on taking shots at us!

As I've said before, Sam has only been good the last few years. Will you still be a fan WHEN they return to their normal spot near the bottom of the conference?

Maybe we'll still be there. Maybe We won't. Enjoy while you can.

Nickels
August 16th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Just keep on taking shots at us!
Nicholls hasn't won an FCS game since 2011. They haven't beaten Lamar since their return. How do consider it a shot? It's the truth right now. Nicholls has been terrible lately.

kingkat99
August 16th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Nicholls hasn't won an FCS game since 2011. They haven't beaten Lamar since their return. How do consider it a shot? It's the truth right now. Nicholls has been terrible lately.

He doesn't know that, hes been too busy following the Tigers. Not that I blame him.

Sammy94
August 16th, 2013, 04:28 PM
As I've said before, Sam has only been good the last few years.

With the people in charge I think this may be the new "normal" for a little longer. How long will Nicholls even have a program?

Nickels
August 16th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Oops, Typo. Nicholls hasn't won an FCS game since 2010.

Texas
August 16th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Oops, Typo. Nicholls hasn't won an FCS game since 2010.

You guys being mean to the only Nicholls guy here :(

Sent from my Nexus 4

Oldschool Colonel
August 16th, 2013, 07:31 PM
You guys being mean to the only Nicholls guy here :(

Sent from my Nexus 4

That's ok. I've been a Colonel fan since I played in the early 80's I've heard it all!

I also have a Gulf Star Conference Championship ring.

Hopefully I'll see another SLU Championship soon. If not I'll still be rooting for them. I haven't missed a home game since I moved back to Louisiana and this season I'll start by going on a road trip to Oregon!!

Have fun! At the end of the season I'll still be a Colonel. Most Kat fans will jump off the bandwagon after the first sigh of trouble!!!

SFA 93
August 16th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I hope the kats and bears can live up to all the hype their fans are spewing (claiming themselves champions before the season has started) or there will be some major https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdXUUz0B0FkGfkrQOfpK5yXwPllrQ47 QjXIC87jAYEQ8sMA74DJw to chow down on in here.

fmrbearkat
August 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM
That's ok. I've been a Colonel fan since I played in the early 80's I've heard it all!

I also have a Gulf Star Conference Championship ring.

Hopefully I'll see another SLU Championship soon. If not I'll still be rooting for them. I haven't missed a home game since I moved back to Louisiana and this season I'll start by going on a road trip to Oregon!!

Have fun! At the end of the season I'll still be a Colonel. Most Kat fans will jump off the bandwagon after the first sigh of trouble!!!

I've got two rings and two deep playoff runs from 2001 (qtrfinals) and 2004 (semifinals) so yeah we've been at the bottom for a looooong time! Try again!

fmrbearkat
August 16th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I hope the kats and bears can live up to all the hype their fans are spewing (claiming themselves champions before the season has started) or there will be some major https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdXUUz0B0FkGfkrQOfpK5yXwPllrQ47 QjXIC87jAYEQ8sMA74DJw to chow down on in here.

Actually I think there will be 4 playoff eligible teams...3 teams that make it in. Sorry Rev but SFA isn't one of them!

Oldschool Colonel
August 16th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I've got two rings and two deep playoff runs from 2001 (qtrfinals) and 2004 (semifinals) so yeah we've been at the bottom for a looooong time! Try again!

I didn't know they gave rings to the band! Or were you a cheerleader?

fmrbearkat
August 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Offensive line! The unsung heroes xbowx

Nickels
August 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM
This is why we're giving the only Nicholls fan ****.

If fmrbearkat is the former player I met at the NYLO party, which I'm thinking it is, than I would watch it if I were you. He's the probably the KatFan I would want to **** with the least. Not a small dude by any means.

fmrbearkat
August 16th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I was at the NYLO. 3 of us actually together. I was the short one of the bunch at 6'5" other two were 6'7". Nobody would have to worry about me unless they messed with my wife or kids though. Anger only came out on the field. I'm pretty laid back usually.

kingkat99
August 16th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I love Nicholls. I thought about going but then I remembered I already had an 8th grade education and didn't want to waste my money. Seriously though they really haven't won a D1 game since 2010? That's a good way to become everyone's homecoming opponent right there.

fmrbearkat
August 17th, 2013, 08:02 AM
And by the way cheerleaders, trainers and a whole lot of people do get rings (not sure about band) but you probably wouldn't know that since y'all have won what 1 ring since y'all moved up some 25 years ago? 2005 if I remember right. I do however really like y'all's new uniforms! Black on black looks sweet! Should be easy to get the stains out when it sprinkles on that mud pit y'all call a field :-) do the have built in horse mosquito repellent? That would be an awesome addition (serious on that one). I've never seen blood suckers the size of those things in thibedeux!

BEAR
August 17th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Last scrimmage today at 4! 1s vs. 2s and roster spot fill ins! Gonna be the battle for the starting spots I'm sure!

As for this year, I'm not sure how we'll do. I expect a great season, but I'm not bragging about winning the conference yet. Do I want to win it, of course...but the SLC has some good teams this year and 4 teams have a chance at it IMO. So if we lose it, we'll be alright and hopefully make the playoffs. McNeese will be a good test in conference to start the year.

Sammy94
August 17th, 2013, 01:35 PM
We had our 2nd this morning. Things are starting to look like they are suppose to. We still have one more but I liked what I saw this morning.

Nickels
August 17th, 2013, 05:09 PM
We had our 2nd this morning. Things are starting to look like they are suppose to. We still have one more but I liked what I saw this morning.
Based on what you saw this morning, is there any chance we have some competition for the starting QB spot?

BEAR
August 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM
After what I watched this afternoon at the scrimmage, if we lose to the newcomer Incarnate Word, ranked #120 in Division II last year...well, its gonna be a long season.

But I don't see that happening.... Another 70 point win is my guess.

1st string offense is for real.
1st string defense is for real.

2nd string offense can move the ball. But Smothers gives you confidence that the backups don't.
2nd string defense is solid but learning.

Coach mixed first and second string teams today and it was hard to tell. We'll see. But IW will be NO problem.

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Actually I think there will be 4 playoff eligible teams...3 teams that make it in. Sorry Rev but SFA isn't one of them!

Not sure why I was referenced when you quoted someone else, but oh well

The best thing to happen to SFA will be Attaway graduating

Oldschool Colonel
August 17th, 2013, 07:59 PM
And by the way cheerleaders, trainers and a whole lot of people do get rings (not sure about band) but you probably wouldn't know that since y'all have won what 1 ring since y'all moved up some 25 years ago? 2005 if I remember right. I do however really like y'all's new uniforms! Black on black looks sweet! Should be easy to get the stains out when it sprinkles on that mud pit y'all call a field :-) do the have built in horse mosquito repellent? That would be an awesome addition (serious on that one). I've never seen blood suckers the size of those things in thibedeux!

ok, ya'll talked me into it! I'm going to Huntsville again this season. All of you A...holes come by our tailgate and have a beer and some gumbo.

We'll be in the same spot we were last time. Lower parking lot right by the steps.(hope that makes since) We'll be the only people having fun!

Make sure you stop by after the game also. You'll all probably have a different opinion of Colonel football!

SFA 93
August 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0QbWNBu-0w

SFA 1st Scrimmage

- 105 play, offensive vs. defense scrimmage

Highlighted by

OFFENSE

- QB: Brady Attaway 8 of 17; 140 yards; 1 TD
- QB: Joe Minden 7 of 12; 94 yards; 1 TD
- QB: Hunter Taylor completed 2 passes; 61 yard TD pass

- WR: D.J. Ward REC:4;YDS:68
- WR: Mike Brooks REC:1; YDS:70; TD:1

- RB: Gus Johnson 59 yard TD run
- RB: Fred Ford 66 yard TD run
- RB: Jamarcus Walker 1 catch for 26 yards

DEFENSE

- DT: Juvon Gales SCK:2;TKL:3
- LB: Marvin Gray TKL:4
- LB: Jabralon Allen TKL:5

fmrbearkat
August 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Not sure why I was referenced when you quoted someone else, but oh well

The best thing to happen to SFA will be Attaway graduating

You were referenced because You are the one SFA guy I respect and I was apoligising because I don't think SFA is one of the far. Strange actually to think SELA has a better shot than SFA. Although I do look for a close shootout similar to last year at reliant.

fmrbearkat
August 18th, 2013, 11:39 AM
ok, ya'll talked me into it! I'm going to Huntsville again this season. All of you A...holes come by our tailgate and have a beer and some gumbo.

We'll be in the same spot we were last time. Lower parking lot right by the steps.(hope that makes since) We'll be the only people having fun!

Make sure you stop by after the game also. You'll all probably have a different opinion of Colonel football!

You think we will all feel y'all need to drop football all together rather than just moving down to D2 xlolx

TheRevSFA
August 18th, 2013, 11:46 AM
You were referenced because You are the one SFA guy I respect and I was apoligising because I don't think SFA is one of the far. Strange actually to think SELA has a better shot than SFA. Although I do look for a close shootout similar to last year at reliant.

Ha. Thanks

I don't think sam's defense will be that solid, but the offense will destroy

fmrbearkat
August 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM
That was obviously a joke. I have alot of respect for Nichols as a program. Been a down couple years for y'all but the colonels were always a tough game for us when I was playing. Always had a solid dline usually backed up by a stud linebacker and corner. Cut the field in half for us many years. The Option was always a tough prep week for our defense as well. I actually have alot of respect for everyone in our conference...well except for Lamar! They dog $H*t!! We don't have the best reputation but Its definitely not warranted. We just need more consistency.

fmrbearkat
August 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Ha. Thanks

I don't think sam's defense will be that solid, but the offense will destroy

Well don't think too hard because you might hurt something. They will be just as good if not better than last year!! Only question mark is our secondary and how many times did you hear the katfans bitching about our secondary last year! Ill answer that...ALOT!!! Our front seven will be better with the return of Fielo and the addition of Tanner Brock.

kingkat99
August 18th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Nicholls is sort of moving up in the SLC world. They've been replaced as our homecoming opponent by Lamar.

Sammy94
August 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Based on what you saw this morning, is there any chance we have some competition for the starting QB spot?

Ha, I wish. I'm not a Bell fan or a Bell basher so I will leave it at this. Based on what I saw this morning, we will not miss a step in the offense if Bell is not in there.

McNeese75
August 19th, 2013, 11:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0QbWNBu-0w

SFA 1st Scrimmage

- 105 play, offensive vs. defense scrimmage

Highlighted by

OFFENSE

- QB: Brady Attaway 8 of 17; 140 yards; 1 TD
- QB: Joe Minden 7 of 12; 94 yards; 1 TD
- QB: Hunter Taylor completed 2 passes; 61 yard TD pass

- WR: D.J. Ward REC:4;YDS:68
- WR: Mike Brooks REC:1; YDS:70; TD:1

- RB: Gus Johnson 59 yard TD run
- RB: Fred Ford 66 yard TD run
- RB: Jamarcus Walker 1 catch for 26 yards

DEFENSE

- DT: Juvon Gales SCK:2;TKL:3
- LB: Marvin Gray TKL:4
- LB: Jabralon Allen TKL:5

Seriously??? A Haka??? Thought SFA was trying to put a football team together , not rugby. Ole JC is looking slim and trim I see (looks like he ate a DL). xlolx

BEAR
August 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Um...A Haka? How many of them are Hawaiian? How many are Samoan?..... Is that a racist thing those players are doing? .....nevermind. xlolx

I know it may feel like an island with all that water on the field... xlolx

How many picks did Attaway have? Why aren't they listed? xlolx

Texas
August 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Um...A Haka? How many of them are Hawaiian? How many are Samoan?..... Is that a racist thing those players are doing? .....nevermind. xlolx

Haha didn't even watch the vid until now. Just lol at least do it right, but it is SFA...

Sent from my Nexus 4

BEAR
August 19th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Would have been a much better video if they had practiced faking cramps like they did against Texas A&M. xlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFojfG31enA

Texas
August 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Would have been a much better video if they had practiced faking cramps like they did against Texas A&M. xlolx

Haha good ol SFA. Always great for a laugh.

Sent from my Nexus 4

FormerPokeCenter
August 19th, 2013, 02:11 PM

Those two are CLEARLY drama majors at SFA ; )

BEAR
August 19th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I can laugh at that but honestly all SFA fans have to do is post a pic of our field and checkmate! xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
August 19th, 2013, 02:58 PM
My gosh I had big fun with the cramping thing on the SFA board!

In the end, though, I finally had three or four SFA posters agreeing with me!

Ah, for the old days of the SLC Delphi boards!

SFA 93
August 19th, 2013, 04:44 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/9070617.jpeg
The player leading the group is LB: Eroni Foifua from Fagatogo, American Samoa

Is that racist? nice try

FormerPokeCenter
August 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/9070617.jpeg
The player leading the group is LB: Eroni Foifua from Fagatogo, American Samoa

Is that racist? nice try

I'd keep his city of origin on the downlow...you might catch some grief from LGBT groups...it kinda sounds like an insult...

TheRevSFA
August 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM

You'd think winning the conference would take the bitterness out of the Bears losing in Nac and letting Gus Johnson run all over them, but I guess not

Nickels
August 19th, 2013, 05:16 PM
You'd think winning the conference would take the bitterness out of the Bears losing in Nac and letting Gus Johnson run all over them, but I guess not
http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5198399/il_fullxfull.208914273.jpg?ref=l2

BEAR
August 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM

Yeah.. it was a watered down victory.... drowned by the sound of "champions" that could be heard at Estes.

I don't care if we lose to any team this year, on any field... as long as we win enough to win the conference.

Grow a thicker skin. This conference is cyclical..much like formerpokecenters bike rides, it'll be your turn again. And I don't think you've heard Bear fans bragging about winning did you? We know its just ONE loss at critical times and BAM the conference is lost. Enjoy the ride and we'll see who has the conference at the end of the year. Might be McNeese or Sam or even SFA...but who knows. .

Nickels
August 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah.. it was a watered down victory.... drowned by the sound of "champions" that could be heard at Estes.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2325/2245957311_9d39592143_m.jpg

TheRevSFA
August 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I was glad to hear that you have a legit championship banner up as opposed to the Texas state championship year that you should have won but wasn't acknowledged by the SLC

TheRevSFA
August 20th, 2013, 05:58 PM
btw I was the big pronouncer of the SLC being cyclic. Don't use my argument against me Bear!

BEAR
August 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I was glad to hear that you have a legit championship banner up as opposed to the Texas state championship year that you should have won but wasn't acknowledged by the SLC

You mean like this one in the pic that we have hanging outside our stadium??? xlolx

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/998448_10151490337976580_592145063_n.jpg

Sam_Kats
August 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM
We'll have 1 too

McNeese72
August 22nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
You know nobody believes that garbage!! McNeese is ALWAYS a tough win especially in Lake Chuck! Im sure yall will spoil something for somebody. I just hope between yall and SELA that somebody has a good enough season so we get 3 teams in the playoffs this year.

Well, Coulson says we have no good players this season. We suck again!!

Doc

McNeeserocket
August 27th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Well, Coulson says we have no good players this season. We suck again!!

Doc

Coulson has rarely shown McNeese any respect. In fact in the SLC review he did recently on August 17, 2012 he has the following under McNeese Coach:
COACH: Matt Viator (52-24 in seven seasons at Montana State).

I am sure Matt Viator would find it interesting that he has been working at Montana State instead of McNeese State!

McNeese72
August 27th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Coulson has rarely shown McNeese any respect.

I know, Jeannie. My remark was dripping with sarcasm.

Doc

McNeeserocket
August 27th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I know, Jeannie. My remark was dripping with sarcasm.

Doc

I knew it was sarcasm, but I wanted to put in a dig at Coulson who time after time has inaccurate information or just plain wrong information. I gave up years ago writing to him and asking him to change his mistakes.