PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ford to retire at Season's end

danefan
August 13th, 2013, 06:01 AM
According to news reports, the winningest active Coach in Division I will hang it up after 41 seasons at UAlbany.

He is a great man who did way more than win football games.

M Ruler
August 13th, 2013, 08:00 AM
According to news reports, the winningest active Coach in Division I will hang it up after 41 seasons at UAlbany.

He is a great man who did way more than win football games.

I have said it on this site before and I will say it again. Nobody in coaching (all due respect to the Legendary Coaches represented on this fan site) has done more with less than Bob Ford. Many seasons he played a rugged schedule with lesser talent and won. During the DIII era we played 3-4 full scholarship DII programs like New Haven, Sothern Conn, Springfield (DII then), AIC and then all of the NCAA D III participants Ithaca, Hofstra(when they had football) and won consistently.

If he had today's facilities 10 years ago there would be a National Championship banner flying at Albany.

He turned average players into good players and good players into great players. No doubt we had our share of 1A, 1AA DII transfers over the years but he had many players that he had to build from the ground up with coaching. Also, he managed to win championships in that Sh#t hole of a facility for over 40 years.

WWII
August 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Ditto

TheDHC
August 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
In 43 years he took us from club football to the CAA conference.

Damn, sad to see him depart, but he's earned his retirement.

Fun fact: Bob Ford is the active winningest coach in DI football (FBS and FCS)
255-174-1

danefan
August 13th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Videos of Coach Ford's statement and our AD reacting.

http://therecordsports.blogspot.com/

http://www.troyrecord.com/video/?va_id=4220432&pl_id=21451&ref=synd

http://www.troyrecord.com/video/?va_id=4220438&pl_id=21451&ref=synd

TheDHC
August 13th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I like how coach Ford described Albany entering the CAA as "entering a gun fight with a sharp knife". xlolx

T-Dog
August 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM
He's the kind of coach that needs a book written about him.

danefan
August 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I like how coach Ford described Albany entering the CAA as "entering a gun fight with a sharp knife". xlolx

A "sharp, yet very small knife."

Great Dane in VA
August 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Sad to see him leave, but a well deserved retirement. Let's hope his last year is a memorable one with lots to be proud of. Great man and a great coach, he is UA football. Glad I will be able to see him one last time in Novemeber when they come down here to play the Spiders. Thanks for all your hard work through out the years to get us to this point, you have alot to be proud of.

WrenFGun
August 14th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Albany has always impressed me in football. Hopefully the next coach can keep it going, but he'll have a lot of help with the fantastic new facilities!

I checked them out a bit at the AEast basketball tournament this year .. awesome stuff.