PDA

View Full Version : Southern Utah at Weber State

Mike Johnson
September 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I know this game is probably not terribly interesting to those outside of Utah (or in my case, Nevada--a state not blessed with IAA teams), but it raises a few issues that might be worthy of discussing:

1. SUU and WSU come to this game via very different paths. SUU has played at home against teams a level or two below it (i.e., a top ten NAIA team and a mediocre NCAA Division II team). It has outscored them by a combined 89-3. Weber State started the season with two very tough games (at the IA team that leads the nation statistically in defense and against number 3 IAA team Cal Poly) and losing by a total of 6-47. On the one hand, SUU has been executing, but will they against tougher competition (and they still have 6 of the top 25 this week in IAA on their schedule and a IA team)? Or will Weber State be ready for a break from playing tough teams? It will be interesting to see which approach will better prepare the teams. Which approach do you think is better?

2. SUU raised its scholarships from 40 to 57 this past year. What affect do you think this will have? I remember last spring when they announced 28 signees and thinking that is well above what they usually sign. This now makes sense given the increase in scholarships. They had 17 new scholarships in addition to those which turn over each year. With 40, they could barely cover just over half the 24 starting positions (including kicker and punter) with two scholarships and many positions could only have a single scholarship player. With 57, they can go two deep in each position and still have nine more. It seems to me that this would allow them to have more a chance for more talented players and the ability to survive injuries and rest players more. Could an increase of 17 scholarships have an impact on SUU success on the field? Or is this something that takes years to have an impact.

3. Weber State is coached by a long time defensive minded coach, McBride. He usually runs the defense and puts his trust in his offensive coordinators to run the offense. So, I wonder how much his offense has been hurt this year by the loss of not just one offensive coordinator, but two. His offensive coordinator from last year, left to coach Dixie State. Then the replacement offensive coordinator, who conducted spring training and was an offensive coach last year for Weber State, left last summer to be the offensive coordinator at Dixie State. The offensive line coach also left this past summer to be the defensive coordinator at Dixie State. Most of the Weber State offensive coaches from last year are now gone. Perhaps this may explain why in two games Weber State has had one of the most anemic offenses in football, averaging 118 yards a game and accounting for just two field goals (and several touchdowns for their opponents). How much would turnover of the offensive coaches, including a couple in the summer, affect the offense of a team?

youwouldno
September 15th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Well I put a good amount of $$$ on Weber. The Big Sky is a hard conference to gauge but Weber has a decent program and, at this stage, it's hard to think too much of SUU. Maybe in a couple years when the added schollies provide a boost.

Mike Johnson
September 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
On paper, I think you are right. But, Southern Utah has won three of the last five in this series (after losing the first 11), including twice in Ogden. Last year, with Weber State having a team that appeared to be on the rise, and Southern Utah unable to buy a win, Weber State did win 27-10, but it was 13-10 with three minutes to go in the game. Collapsing at the end of the game was probably the result of lack of depth for the team and lack of confidence they could do much.

I take it you think it will take a few years for the increase in scholarships to take affect? Do you think Weber State's offensive woes in its first two games could be the result of major turnover of the offensive coaching staff? Or is it a question of playing two pretty good teams? How quickly do you think Weber State can rectify its offense (its defense looks solid)?

youwouldno
September 16th, 2006, 12:02 AM
It's hard to say. I'm not a Weber expert or anything. I think playing 2 I-A teams in a row, despite the rough results, will give Weber an advantage against SUU because SUU won't have the kind of speed Weber has seen so far. The coaching turnover could be a problem but if Weber plays sound football they should win.

wannabegaucho
September 16th, 2006, 12:28 AM
If anybody is going to the game, try to recruit SUU fans to this website.

That said, Ogden wins comfortably.

RabidRabbit
September 16th, 2006, 07:51 AM
If anybody is going to the game, try to recruit SUU fans to this website.

That said, Ogden wins comfortably.

This is a marked game for GWFC watchers. SUU is the one team nobody has great info about. There are no fans posting here, and generally speaking, the games played in Cedar City get no coverage. So, yes - Weber St. guys, IF any SUU fans show up, let them know about this website.

I doubt that SUU is THAT much better than their 1-10 team of last year. Feasting on two sub D-I teams may just be the ego/testing method that works. Likewise, lining up two incredibly tough games, as Weber St. has toughened Weber St.

Based on projections of a high BSC finish for Weber St. and last place in GWFC for SUU, have to go with Weber St winning. However, AGS!!!!

Mike Johnson
September 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Good points. I usually feel that playing week opponents early does little more than fine tune a team. My initial instinct that playing a IA team on the road and the #3 team in IAA should toughen Weber State. The Wildcats should go out looking for the opportunity to win a game now.

The point about Weber State picked to finish high (3rd or 6th depending on poll) in the Big Sky vs. Southern Utah picked to finish last (5th) in the Great West is an interesting point, one perhaps negated by the fact that three of the other four teams in the Great West are nationally ranked. Cal Poly is probably better than anybody in the Big Sky. The Big Sky appears to have two really good teams, five teams in the middle, and two really bad. The Great West has two or three really good teams and the rest could probably compete with those in the middle of the Big Sky. Today, we will see.

Weber State may be the only hope the Big Sky has today except against NCAA Division II opponents (Eastern Washington against Central Washington; Northern Arizona against Dixie State). Montana State is getting killed by UC Davis. I don't think Sacramento State has much of a chance against Cal Poly. Portland State will have a tough game at California. Northern Colorado will probably lose at Texas State. Maybe Idaho State at Idaho, but I suspect Idaho State will fall in the end.

I Bleed Purple
September 17th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Well, the offense turned around today. Other than lesser competition, the starting QB is out and the starting RB had fewer carries than the backup, despite starting. (186 for the backup RB, by the way). The O-line was shaken up a bit.

As for the game. Defense was awesome again. Only one sustained drive. Offense left points on the board. 24-13 was much closer than it should have been. Should have been 37-13. Offense was good. Like I mentioned, the backup RB had 186 on the ground on less than 20 carries. Can't remember exact carries.