PDA

View Full Version : New SoCon Officiating Rule Is Too Much

SU DOG
August 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Going overboard? IMO, SoCon officials need to improve on calling existing rules, not try to adhere to new more complex ones.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Totally-ridiculous--SoCon-to-impose-additional-suspension-for-targeting-violation

pike51
August 12th, 2013, 12:57 PM
True story...

My wife (who is a pretty big Red WIngs fan) and I were watching the Red Wings and Blackhawks during the NHL semis this year and it appeared the refs made a really bad penalty call against the Wings. She immediately jumped up and yelled at the TV, "What the hell? Did these refs come from the SoCon or something!?!?"

I've never been so proud in my entire life.

seantaylor
August 13th, 2013, 02:21 AM
What the hell do you know about hockey, Pike?

walliver
August 13th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Flagrant targeting should get an extra 1 game suspension.

Unfortunately, most players ejected this year will IMHO be for players who were not targeting the offensive player, but simply trying to make a tackle.

Since most SoCon games will not be televised, will there be enough video for the national clearing house to actually review every call?

pike51
August 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM
What the hell do you know about hockey, Pike?

Let's see, started playing at age 3 and played until we moved to Georgia when I was 13. I didn't play football until I got to high school (because there was no hockey). Then after I finished at GSU and moved to Texas, I started playing Adult league again and played in Texas, Birmingham, Tampa, and Jacksonville. I still play some pick up stuff in Tallahassee when I have the time.

So you're right, I don't know anything about hockey.

aust42
August 13th, 2013, 07:09 AM
This new rule is ridiculous enough. Why would the SoCon impose an additional one game suspension for players that will be ejected for hitting someone too hard (targeting)? Who makes these decisions? Certainly can't be ex football players can it? I wonder if this will influence recruits? Lawyers and lawsuits are ruining the game of football.

Baldy
August 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
One more year.....

SU DOG
August 13th, 2013, 03:47 PM
This thing may get a second look. Jeff Hartsell(IMO the BEST beat writer in the SoCon) discusses the possibility.

http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/08/13/socon-tackles-issue-faces/

Cleets
August 13th, 2013, 03:58 PM
One more year.....

If you think GSU will get any better officials where they're headed (good luck)

Apphole
August 13th, 2013, 04:10 PM
SoCon officials aren't fit to ref Pop Warner games. That being said, Brian Quick made the catch, Sean Price did not step out of bounds and Jackson was pushed into the endzone and the no safety call was the correct one.

eaglewraith
August 13th, 2013, 07:55 PM
SoCon officials aren't fit to ref Pop Warner games. That being said, Brian Quick made the catch, Sean Price did not step out of bounds and Jackson was pushed into the endzone and the no safety call was the correct one.

I can give you the Price one. And maybe the Jackson one. But no ****ing way did Quick make the catch.

whoanellie
August 13th, 2013, 09:59 PM
lack of replay cameras will make this non review-able as per the SEC or ACC

seantaylor
August 14th, 2013, 02:27 AM
If you think GSU will get any better officials where they're headed (good luck)

Much better. The Socon's prerequisite for officials is to be part of a Klavern. And there is that minor thing known as replay