PDA

View Full Version : Which of these FBS games will be wins?

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
These seemed like the 10 most winnable games unless I overlooked one. New Hampshire @ Central Michigan just missed the cut.

bojeta
August 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Despite NDSU's undeniable strength at the FCS level, a win at KSU is unlikely. Cal Poly is also strong this year, but so is Fresno State. I'm hoping for a win, but realistically, it's a long shot.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM
The games vs. Georgia State are all winnable, but it's hard to see them losing all three. I chose Samford and Jax State as the wins.

I also picked UNI. Kinda surprised more people are not picking them.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Despite NDSU's undeniable strength at the FCS level, a win at KSU is unlikely. Cal Poly is also strong this year, but so is Fresno State. I'm hoping for a win, but realistically, it's a long shot.

The thing that makes this possible is that this is not last years KSU team.

JSUBison
August 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Georgia State could lose all three. Would that be a record, 3 FCS losses by an FBS team in one season?

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM
5dimes has NDSU as a 18 point underdog against K State. If the line stays there as we get closer to game day I'll have to put some money on that one.

BEAR
August 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM
How about top 5 UCA vs. a 1-11 Colorado team?

A Colorado team with no QB, a new head coach, new AD, VERY little returning and overlooking the Bears....who happen to be loaded this year.

Saint3333
August 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM
The games vs. Georgia State are all winnable, but it's hard to see them losing all three. I chose Samford and Jax State as the wins.

I also picked UNI. Kinda surprised more people are not picking them.

This is exhibit A of a troll trolling a troll.

bojeta
August 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM
The thing that makes this possible is that this is not last years KSU team.

I hope you're correct. Nothing I love more than to see FCS teams take down favored FBS/BCS teams :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 8th, 2013, 12:32 PM
How about top 5 UCA vs. a 1-11 Colorado team?

A Colorado team with no QB, a new head coach, new AD, VERY little returning and overlooking the Bears....who happen to be loaded this year.

You are correct, that was a clear oversight. Mea culpa. Will be rooting for you guys.

5dimes has NDSU as a 18 point underdog against K State. If the line stays there as we get closer to game day I'll have to put some money on that one.

Personally, I think NDSU wins. UMass took them down to the wire recently and they weren't that great. I also think Bill Snyder is overrated. He got the benefit of a great QB and an unusually weak Big 12 last year.

Possibly. Personally, I think UTC is the one they will most likely lose. Don't think State will be able to get UTC's defense to budge.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM

So then your response consists of a troll trolling a troll trolling a troll? xlolx

bojeta
August 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Oh... and, if you were going to put up a likely FBS win for Cal Poly, it should have been Colorado State, not Fresno. Fresno returns most of last year's very talented team that went to a bowl game. CO State went 4-8. They're better this year, but not much.

SUPharmacist
August 8th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Oh... and, if you were going to put up a likely FBS win for Cal Poly, it should have been Colorado State, not Fresno. Fresno returns most of last year's very talented team that went to a bowl game. CO State went something like 3-8. They're better this year, but not much.

I think Cal Poly will get up for the Fresno game. I believe Georgia State will drop two of three, and I could not resist the homer vote for NDSU. Although this is not last years KSU, it will be a tall order.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 8th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I hope you're correct. Nothing I love more than to see FCS teams take down favored FBS/BCS teams :)

Especially those guys. Their fans are some MOUTHY mother****ers.

darell1976
August 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM

I picked Cal Poly over FSU. FSU had to come from behind to beat UND 2 years ago, so I think Cal Poly can do it, plus you guys don't have to travel to far.

BisonFan02
August 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Oh... and, if you were going to put up a likely FBS win for Cal Poly, it should have been Colorado State, not Fresno. Fresno returns most of last year's very talented team that went to a bowl game. CO State went something like 3-8. They're better this year, but not much.

This....Poly should handle Colorado State. The game with NDSU last year wasn't as close as the score was.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322520036

NDSU CSU

1st Downs 21 11
Total Yards 366 243
Passing 178 171
Rushing 188 72
Penalties 5-35 9-101
3rd Down Conv 12-21 1-10
4th Down Conv 1-2 1-2
Turnovers 1 2
Possession 39:52 20:08

SpeedkingATL
August 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I picked GaSt to lose all 3 as I think those are the most LIKELY wins for FCS. The biggest problem the visitors will have is getting up for the game playing in front of 5-6K fans in the cavernous Ga Dome. I remember App playing UTC at Chatty a number of times during their really lean years and there were so few people in the stadium that it felt like a scrimmage. It was that way in 04 the last time they beat App. Sammy's stadium is small but well attended (at least the last 2 games with App) and UTC and Jax State have drawn pretty well at home in recent years.

Thus hat trick in the Ga Dome for FCS.

Grizalltheway
August 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM
App State @ Montana

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Kent State vs. Liberty is one I think is a good under the radar pick if you want to make some money

DJKyR0
August 8th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Oh... and, if you were going to put up a likely FBS win for Cal Poly, it should have been Colorado State, not Fresno. Fresno returns most of last year's very talented team that went to a bowl game. CO State went 4-8. They're better this year, but not much.

Agreed - even if Colorado State gets a bit better, that's still not great. Aside from one broken play where a tight end was left wide open and went the distance, we held the Rams to 174 yards and the game was never in doubt. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Cal Poly come up in the winners' column.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Very much on board with the Poly@Colorado State and UCA@Colorado picks. xthumbsupx

344Johnson
August 8th, 2013, 02:11 PM

Might throw a small amount down on that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
In retrospect, Illinois State @ Ball State may not have been an overly great choice either.

Kind of surprised more people don't think JMU will beat Akron, though.

Mattymc727
August 8th, 2013, 02:16 PM
New Hampshire at Central Michigan could be another.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
New Hampshire at Central Michigan could be another.

I hope so, because Lehigh will need the schedule strength when they beat them in late September xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 8th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Kent State vs. Liberty is one I think is a good under the radar pick if you want to make some money

Kent State should be very solid again. The Towson fans thought they had a real shot last year. They then proceeded to get smacked around.

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Liberty has kept their FBS games pretty close the last few years (including a win over Ball State in 2010) so, with no offense intended toward Towson, I will say that the Flames should have better luck staying with the Flashes.

SU DOG
August 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM
While I would be VERY disappointed with a loss to Ga. State, I would caution against giving up too many points and betting against them. The 21.5 point spread, IMO, is way too much for my Bulldogs. Sure, I hope I am wrong, but opening games are sometimes the hardest to predict. This is going to be a team that will be light years ahead of last year. With better coaching, some quality xfers, more depth, and a new attitude, Ga. State may not be the easy mark that some on here think. Having said that, I wish good luck to all 3 of us (FCS teams) that will face them.

UMaineD
August 8th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Maine @ UMass could be one

URMite
August 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM
The same guy that had the horrible playoff predictions did mention us.

http://beyondsportsnetwork.com/articles/474/top-10-potential-fcs-over-fbs-upsets

Not sure how to take that.

frozennorth
August 8th, 2013, 06:00 PM
i think one of GSU, SDSU and EWU pull an upset. GSU and SDSU line up particularly well.

ElCid
August 8th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I am surprised that the Villanova/BC game was not included. That one is almost even money.

UNIFanSince1983
August 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I picked Poly, NDSU, all three vs Ga State, and then the homer UNI over ISU pick.

I didn't know how Fresno was, but knew Poly is going to be really good. NDSU will have a tough time, but with their FBS history and just how good they are they have a great shot. Ga State is just awful so I had to pick all 3 vs them. UNI has a shot, but it is tough to win in Ames. Now that ISU has Rhodes it will be even tougher too. We have won in Ames before so I thought why not this year! :)

Seawolf97
August 8th, 2013, 08:39 PM
We owe our sister institution on Lake Erie a nose bleed. They romped two years ago 35-7 but we are better now.

dgtw
August 8th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I picked Jax State and Samford to win, but not Chatty just to piss off the idiotic Chatty fan who posts on here.

DJKyR0
August 9th, 2013, 01:53 AM
The same guy that had the horrible playoff predictions did mention us.

http://beyondsportsnetwork.com/articles/474/top-10-potential-fcs-over-fbs-upsets

Not sure how to take that.

It's weird how often these guys refer to their own All-American list when pumping individual players. It'd be like me saying "NDSU stands a great chance because of backup defensive tackle and DJKyR0 All-American Brian Schaetz." OK, so YOU like this, but other than that what does that tell me? Seems more like ham-fisted self-promotion than genuine information on impact players.

skinny_uncle
August 9th, 2013, 07:53 AM
The homer in me thinks that my Salukis have a decent shot against the Illlini this year.

Lehigh'98
August 9th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Akron is God awful. Wasn't impressed by the JMU games i saw last year, but they might grab a W here.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Really, UNI vs. Iowa State is the lowest vote-getter of the bunch? This stuns me. The Cyclones are not all that good, UNI is always tough against FBS teams (especially in-state teams), and Farley returns a ton of starters from last season.

I would put the odds of this upset happening way over the chances of Illinois State beating Ball State. IMO.

813Jag
August 9th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I'm confused isn't Chatty at Georgia St an all FBS game? xreadx

Anovafan
August 9th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I would give Nova a 50/50 shot over BC this year. They also have some added incentive to beat Addazio who beat them two years in a row when he was coach at Temple.

Catatonic
August 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Ga State will lose to Samford before before stunning Alabama, handing the Tide their only loss of the regular season. :D

bjtheflamesfan
August 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Really, UNI vs. Iowa State is the lowest vote-getter of the bunch? This stuns me. The Cyclones are not all that good, UNI is always tough against FBS teams (especially in-state teams), and Farley returns a ton of starters from last season.

I would put the odds of this upset happening way over the chances of Illinois State beating Ball State. IMO.
Even when they have been bad, the Cyclones most years have had UNI's number LFN which probably explains why it hasn't gotten much play outside of maybe some Panther fans and a few MVFC fans

CHIP72
August 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I am surprised that the Villanova/BC game was not included. That one is almost even money.

I'm surprised it took until Page 4 of this thread for that game to get mentioned!

Nickels
August 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Tanner Brock rips Manziel's head off in the first quarter and the Katz beat TAMU in front 82,589 shocked nerds.

Book it. :D

Catatonic
August 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Tanner Brock rips Manziel's head off in the first quarter and the Katz beat TAMU in front 82,589 shocked nerds.

Sweet.

Nickels
August 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Sweet.
It will be.

The Bison +18 will be pretty sweet for my debit account but not as sweet as when I buy dozens of NC tickets and sell them for 10x their face value.

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Someone should tell Tanner Brock that Johnny Football has drugs in his helmet. It might make him more excited

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2013, 12:55 PM
The homer in me thinks that SFA can beat Texas Tech and new coach Kliff Kingsbury.

The realist in me remembers us getting our ass handed to us by SMU last year

Sammy94
August 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Someone should tell Tanner Brock that Johnny Football has drugs in his helmet. It might make him more excited

Some people sell autographs, some sell other things. Tanner has done his time off the field, maybe on the field he posts over 100 tackles again like his last full season of play???

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Some people sell autographs, some sell other things. Tanner has done his time off the field, maybe on the field he posts over 100 tackles again like his last full season of play???

Hey one of our best defensive players every passed out high in a Taco Bell drive through and is now competing to start for the Texans. Dreams really do come true

Nickels
August 9th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Hey one of our best defensive players every passed out high in a Taco Bell drive through and is now competing to start for the Texans. Dreams really do come true
Completely different scenarios though. Brock's "crime" was victimless. Your player held up the line at Taco Bell.

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Completely different scenarios though. Brock's "crime" was victimless. Your player held up the line at Taco Bell.

xlolx

frozennorth
August 10th, 2013, 02:41 AM
The homer in me thinks that my Salukis have a decent shot against the Illlini this year.

probably would have won last year had you played. Illinois was hilaribad.

chattownmocs
August 10th, 2013, 05:32 AM
You think NDSU over Kansas state is one of the 10 most likely? Please stop now.

Twentysix
August 10th, 2013, 06:05 AM
You think NDSU over Kansas state is one of the 10 most likely? Please stop now.

Nooga over the Titans. Mark it down.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM
While I would be VERY disappointed with a loss to Ga. State, I would caution against giving up too many points and betting against them. The 21.5 point spread, IMO, is way too much for my Bulldogs. Sure, I hope I am wrong, but opening games are sometimes the hardest to predict. This is going to be a team that will be light years ahead of last year. With better coaching, some quality xfers, more depth, and a new attitude, Ga. State may not be the easy mark that some on here think. Having said that, I wish good luck to all 3 of us (FCS teams) that will face them.

Stop trying to hedge your bets. Take fistfuls of cash to the betting window and bet on your team. The Panthers would need to be light years better than last year to even be a mid pack CAA team.