PDA

View Full Version : SNW: Yes Georgia, there's football in the Northeast

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Funny headline for Matt D from the SNW...Matt D talks about the Northeast Conference coming out strong this year. I really think we'll see an OVC or Big South team win the NCAA title this year the way things are going! :confused:

Predictions, previews and more from Matt D in his weekly column...
===========
Extra Point - Week Three: Yes Georgia, there's football in the Northeast

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor

Philadelphia, PA - Central Connecticut State 17, Georgia Southern 13.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Northeast Conference arrived on Saturday, and now people from Georgia to Montana know it. Just don’t think they are going away soon.

After years of toiling against Patriot League and Atlantic 10 foes, playing opponents below the Division I level or facing fellow non or limited- scholarship programs, Central Connecticut State came through with the conference’s first real quality win last year by taking out Colgate, 24-22. This year, Albany notched a victory against Lehigh, and Central Connecticut State opened everyone’s eyes to the potential of the Northeast Conference by taking down one of I-AA’s most-storied programs in Statesboro on Saturday.

With programs that are building and gaining support, the wins can’t be written off as flukes, either.

"We’re physical, we can run the ball and run it in the fourth quarter, and we compete," said first-year Central Connecticut State head coach Jeff McInerney, who has his team off to a 2-0 start and just outside the top 25 rankings. "One thing about the game (against Georgia Southern) is that I thought we outhit them. We played straight to the vest and just chopped wood."

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4040405.htm

dbackjon
September 14th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Nice write-up.

Eaglegus2
September 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Matt D. visited the Georgia Southern faithful last year. I am hoping he makes a return trip to Paulson.

I promise not to give him those oyster shooters again.;)

I think Patron or Cabo Wabo is more in line for Matt.:D

Hell, I am the one who had the emergency surgery the next day.:bawling: xlolx :nod: