PDA

View Full Version : W & M Blog Reveals Behind The Scenes Of CAA Expansion Efforts

SU DOG
August 6th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Lots of you will find this more interesting than I. I did not research it or its source. However, since it is out there:

http://shadesof48.com/?p=365

Pard4Life
August 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Interesting parts for the PL people:

The conference (CAA) targeted Boston University as a potential addition, so when BU jumped at an invitation to the Patriot League, Yeager was blindsided, sending out the following email on June 15.

“For those of us who have been in contact with BU, this is a complete surprise as no mention of any other options were ever mentioned,” Yeager wrote. “… We will continue to explore institutions in the North.”

Anyway, before moving on to potential sites for the 2013 conference basketball tournament in the email, Yeager mentioned talk of more CAA schools — Richmond, William and Mary, Villanova and New Hampshire — potentially being poached by other conferences.

“I was informed by the Patriot League commissioner that she is pursuing several CAA schools for football membership … I have spoken directly with W&M and Villanova — and indirectly with UR — who all expressed that they are not interested,” Yeager wrote, either ignorant of or concealing the fact that W&M had, in fact, been exploring a move to the Patriot League for all sports since being unofficially invited in May, 2012.

(From the letter written by CAA ED) While this was happening, I was informed by the Patriot League commissioner that she is pursuing several CAA schools for football membership(W&M, Richmond, Villanova & UNH). I have spoken directly with W&M and Villanova – and indirectly with UR – who all expressed that they are not interested. UNH however, appears very interested in considering the Patriot League. I have a conference call with the UNH President tomorrow (Wed) afternoon. Obviously, the whole northern expansion plan hangs with UNH. (he is talking about expanding the CAA with more northern schools to create a northern division)

Sandlapper Spike
August 6th, 2013, 07:02 PM
It is very interesting, especially if you follow the CAA. There are also plenty of references to the SoCon, and some discussion about the Patriot League.

danefan
August 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Ted out to every single thing I've heard about this whole escapade.

App State and Furman were both in play.
Hofstra strongly objected to Stony Brook
Albany is absolutely in play for all sports as is Fairfield

JMU isn't going anywhere yet.

danefan
August 6th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Interesting parts for the PL people:

The conference (CAA) targeted Boston University as a potential addition, so when BU jumped at an invitation to the Patriot League, Yeager was blindsided, sending out the following email on June 15.

“For those of us who have been in contact with BU, this is a complete surprise as no mention of any other options were ever mentioned,” Yeager wrote. “… We will continue to explore institutions in the North.”

Anyway, before moving on to potential sites for the 2013 conference basketball tournament in the email, Yeager mentioned talk of more CAA schools — Richmond, William and Mary, Villanova and New Hampshire — potentially being poached by other conferences.

“I was informed by the Patriot League commissioner that she is pursuing several CAA schools for football membership … I have spoken directly with W&M and Villanova — and indirectly with UR — who all expressed that they are not interested,” Yeager wrote, either ignorant of or concealing the fact that W&M had, in fact, been exploring a move to the Patriot League for all sports since being unofficially invited in May, 2012.

(From the letter written by CAA ED) While this was happening, I was informed by the Patriot League commissioner that she is pursuing several CAA schools for football membership(W&M, Richmond, Villanova & UNH). I have spoken directly with W&M and Villanova – and indirectly with UR – who all expressed that they are not interested. UNH however, appears very interested in considering the Patriot League. I have a conference call with the UNH President tomorrow (Wed) afternoon. Obviously, the whole northern expansion plan hangs with UNH. (he is talking about expanding the CAA with more northern schools to create a northern division)

All what we knew when Albany and SBU were announced. Both said they wouldn't accept unless UNH stayed in the CAA knowing they were considering the PL.

Sandlapper Spike
August 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Ted out to every single thing I've heard about this whole escapade.

App State and Furman were both in play.
Hofstra strongly objected to Stony Brook
Albany is absolutely in play for all sports as is Fairfield

JMU isn't going anywhere yet.

I'm not sure you can say App State and/or Furman were ever in play. App may have been wanted, but that's not the same thing.

As for Furman, it looks like the CAA may have taken a harder look at UNCG until late in the game. I don't know if that's because Furman wasn't initially considered a realistic possibility. On the other hand, realism doesn't seem to have been a factor in some of the machinations...

danefan
August 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure you can say App State and/or Furman were ever in play. App may have been wanted, but that's not the same thing.

As for Furman, it looks like the CAA may have taken a harder look at UNCG until late in the game. I don't know if that's because Furman wasn't initially considered a realistic possibility. On the other hand, realism doesn't seem to have been a factor in some of the machinations...

In play may be an overstatement, but considered for sure.

Bogus Megapardus
August 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1636/hjo.png

"Attorney client priviledge?" Uh-oh . . . . somebody's in trouble now.

But geez, Tom - if you want everyone to take you as seriously as you seem to take yourself, you ought to try not to misspell "privilege" when you're sending attorney-client privileged memoranda to the presidents of your respective conference members. Some of them probably are college graduates, you realize. They tend to notice these things. And they might notice other things, too - like when you allow putatively privileged correspondence to get plastered all over AGS.

I hear that Patriot League commissioner Carolyn Femovich always checks her spelling. And I'll bet she sends nice little hand-written thank you cards, too. xrolleyesx

Sandlapper Spike
August 6th, 2013, 07:24 PM
To a certain extent, a lot of this appears to have been Yeager trying to figure out how to get Davidson into the league. He basically tried not one but two "triangle" moves. The first one (Davidson, Appalachian State, College of Charleston) wound up with CofC joining the CAA. The second one (Davidson, Stony Brook, Elon) resulted in Elon moving to the CAA.

---

Re: Boston University -- would BU have had the votes to gain entry to the CAA, or was someone blocking it like Hofstra has blocked Stony Brook for all-sports membership?

The part where the UNCW chancellor raises the possibility of Richmond and VCU rejoining the league for hoops is...well...instructive.

Saint3333
August 6th, 2013, 07:44 PM
It tells me App was going to move from the SoCon one way or another. If we weren't going to move to the FBS I would have supported joining a conference with JMU and Delaware.

Tribal
August 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Hofstra's president is a moron and HU fans need to remind him of that. Lafayette and Lehigh (17 miles); W&M and UR (61 miles); W&M and ODU (45 miles); W&M and VCU (54 miles); USNA and American (36 miles); Wofford and Furman (36 miles)...all seem capable of luring recruits and competing.

There isn't a CAA fan who wouldn't take SBU over HU.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hofstra's president is a moron and HU fans need to remind him of that. Lafayette and Lehigh (17 miles); W&M and UR (61 miles); W&M and ODU (45 miles); W&M and VCU (54 miles); USNA and American (36 miles); Wofford and Furman (36 miles)...all seem capable of luring recruits and competing.

There isn't a CAA fan who wouldn't take SBU over HU.

I try to remind my Twitter followers once a week how big a moron Stu is. Football should never have been axed at Hofstra, and it's a major reason why SBU has grown so far, so fast.

ThompsonThe
August 6th, 2013, 11:25 PM
It tells me App was going to move from the SoCon one way or another. If we weren't going to move to the FBS I would have supported joining a conference with JMU and Delaware.

You and two other posters might have supported it, but not most App State fans. Was no point in just changing conferences, especially not for leaving the SoCon for the CAA. Would have been glad to have JMU and Delaware in the SoCon though.

T-Dog
August 6th, 2013, 11:53 PM
UNCW's president tries but lacks instinct.

This is why I believe conference leaders can't be the servant of two masters. The SoCon had football and basketball contingents and it almost imploded. Now they will have 10 members, 9 of which are football schools with UNCG in no financial position to do anything.

Yeager went from having a conference with the top FCS football and top mid-major basketball to neither and a lot less.

Go...gate
August 7th, 2013, 01:05 AM
I try to remind my Twitter followers once a week how big a moron Stu is. Football should never have been axed at Hofstra, and it's a major reason why SBU has grown so far, so fast.

And why Hofstra seems a little lost these days. Of course, there are those of us who think Hofstra with football would have worked out well in the Patriot League. It is all moot now, though.

Go...gate
August 7th, 2013, 01:11 AM
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1636/hjo.png

"Attorney client priviledge?" Uh-oh . . . . somebody's in trouble now.

But geez, Tom - if you want everyone to take you as seriously as you seem to take yourself, you ought to try not to misspell "privilege" when you're sending attorney-client privileged memoranda to the presidents of your respective conference members. Some of them probably are college graduates, you realize. They tend to notice these things. And they might notice other things, too - like when you allow putatively privileged correspondence to get plastered all over AGS.

I hear that Patriot League commissioner Carolyn Femovich always checks her spelling. And I'll bet she sends nice little hand-written thank you cards, too. xrolleyesx

I'm confused why the privilege was asserted. Were the sender or recipient affiliated with the office of the school's General Counsel?

Sitting Bull
August 7th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Yeager went from having a conference with the top FCS football and top mid-major basketball to neither and a lot less.

Really? What FCS conference from top to bottom would you put above the CAA?

The Yeager bashing gets old and irrational.

He has built and maintained a far better all sports conference than the Southern or Sun Belt.

danefan
August 7th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I'm confused why the privilege was asserted. Were the sender or recipient affiliated with the office of the school's General Counsel?

I too was confused. Chalk it up to someone thinking it means something and just throwing it on there.

Clearly no one asserted privilege or else it wouldn't have been subject to FOIA,right?

bluehenbillk
August 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
All confirms Hofstra's president is a royal DB.

ccd494
August 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Wait, BU is sneaky and deceitful? I don't believe that for a second!

DFW HOYA
August 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Wait, BU is sneaky and deceitful? I don't believe that for a second!

There's a John Silber joke right in there, but I'll pass.

Bogus Megapardus
August 7th, 2013, 10:16 AM
There's a John Silber joke right in there, but I'll pass.

Capt'n Flint's quartermaster was known primarily as a sneaky genius, after all. I wonder, did the late Dr. Silber keep an Amazona?

I too was confused. Chalk it up to someone thinking it means something and just throwing it on there.

Yeager appears to have copied the memo to Alexander C. Graham, Jr., Esq. of the Richmond law firm Williams Mullen. I guess somebody figured that ought to take care of it, somehow.

danefan
August 7th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Capt'n Flint's quartermaster was known primarily as a sneaky genius, after all. I wonder, did the late Dr. Silber keep an Amazona?

Yeager appears to have copied the memo to Alexander C. Graham, Jr., Esq. of the Richmond law firm Williams Mullen. I guess somebody figured that ought to take care of it, somehow.

Interesting thought though. Who is the "client"? The CAA conference itself?

Dane96
August 7th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Lord...it's amazing how many executives and non-litigators misuse the attorney-client designation. Bogus and DF are correct...and no, I don't think the CAA can assert the privilege. The privilege is mostly reserved for those communications from a lawyer to the client developed in anticipation of litigation, which does not apply in this instance. There are exceptions to the rule...but again, I don't see how they would apply.

Now Attorney-Work product...that could apply.

Weak either way.

WMTribe90
August 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Couldn't the WM, UD, Towson, COC, Elon, UNCW, and JMU vote SBU full membership as soon as Elon is on board over the objections of Hofstra, NU and Drexel. I'm hoping that is the plan.

Saint3333
August 7th, 2013, 11:30 AM
You and two other posters might have supported it, but not most App State fans. Was no point in just changing conferences, especially not for leaving the SoCon for the CAA. Would have been glad to have JMU and Delaware in the SoCon though.

Our leadership thought the CAA was a better place than the SoCon.

Dane96
August 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
WM Tribe- My guess...that's exactly what will occur. However, I think this also depends on what ultimately happens with the never-ending FBS realignment saga. If a "new division" is formed...my guess is the football schools of the CAA will move on to a different league in toto.

I do think that if they vote on expanding the CAA...it will be to go to 14 teams and SBU, Albany and another school will be involved.

danefan
August 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM
WM Tribe- My guess...that's exactly what will occur. However, I think this also depends on what ultimately happens with the never-ending FBS realignment saga. If a "new division" is formed...my guess is the football schools of the CAA will move on to a different league in toto.

I do think that if they vote on expanding the CAA...it will be to go to 14 teams and SBU, Albany and another school will be involved.

Based on these emails, it will probably be Fairfield.

WMTribe90
August 7th, 2013, 12:22 PM

Let's hope. I'm guessing the 14th will need to be somebody from the south and with some good mid-major hoop credentials.

Just curious, are you suggesting the if the BCS/Big 5 conferences officially split from the NCAA or otherwise separate from lower level FBS that the CAA football schools will leave together to join FBS as it currently exists or a reimagined FBS with lower scholarship maximums (~70). Why would the CAA football schools have to leave the CAA to accomplish this?

Tribal
August 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Couldn't the WM, UD, Towson, COC, Elon, UNCW, and JMU vote SBU full membership as soon as Elon is on board over the objections of Hofstra, NU and Drexel. I'm hoping that is the plan.

I believe it takes only 2 votes. If HU, NU, and DU are bed buddies on this, the CAA is screwed.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Just unearthed a gem near the end of the article about how the Towson AD thought Furman "brought" the No. 36 TV market to the CAA...

citdog
August 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Even though we HATE EACH OTHERS GUTS furman and The Citadel aren't going ANYWHERE without the other.

WMTribe90
August 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I believe it takes only 2 votes. If HU, NU, and DU are bed buddies on this, the CAA is screwed.

My limited understanding is a 2/3 majority is needed to add a new member. Once Elon joins we will have 10 members and assume we could pass SBU through even with three no votes. Some one please correct me if I missing something/wrong here.

Go...gate
August 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM

Clearly no one asserted privilege or else it wouldn't have been subject to FOIA,right?

Right.

Go...gate
August 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Lord...it's amazing how many executives and non-litigators misuse the attorney-client designation. Bogus and DF are correct...and no, I don't think the CAA can assert the privilege. The privilege is mostly reserved for those communications from a lawyer to the client developed in anticipation of litigation, which does not apply in this instance. There are exceptions to the rule...but again, I don't see how they would apply.

Now Attorney-Work product...that could apply.

Weak either way.

God knows we try to make the clients understand this, but not everyone does. Then we get blamed.....

Go...gate
August 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Even though we HATE EACH OTHERS GUTS furman and The Citadel aren't going ANYWHERE without the other.

Sounds like Lafayette-Lehigh.

danefan
August 7th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Just unearthed a gem near the end of the article about how the Towson AD thought Furman "brought" the No. 36 TV market to the CAA...

Is he wrong? According to his link, Greenville is part of the #36 market in the US.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

citdog
August 7th, 2013, 02:25 PM

except furman and The Citadel play football in a MANS Conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Is he wrong? According to his link, Greenville is part of the #36 market in the US.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

True, but that's like saying North Carolina Central "brings" the Raleigh-Durham market (ranked No. 27 from the same link). Or like saying Fordham "brings" NYC, listed as the No. 1 market.

danefan
August 7th, 2013, 02:47 PM
True, but that's like saying North Carolina Central "brings" the Raleigh-Durham market (ranked No. 27 from the same link). Or like saying Fordham "brings" NYC, listed as the No. 1 market.

Agreed. But how much of the market a school brings hasn't been much of a consideration. Its the potential the market has.

WMTribe90
August 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Furman brings the their market as much as any FCS football/mid-major basketball program brings their market. The comment was made and received in the proper context.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2013, 02:55 PM
except furman and The Citadel play football in a MANS Conference.

The men have left. Now it's the ankle biters and a bunch of mutts.....

carney2
August 7th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Only with a lot less hate.

citdog
August 7th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Only with a lot less hate.

Cadets MURDERED the furman mascot. Enough said

Accelerati Incredibilus
August 7th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Our leadership thought the CAA was a better place than the SoCon.

Charlie Cobb had conversations with several CAA AD's two years ago. He was asked if App was interested in joining the CAA and the answer came back only if they have plans of going FBS. Yeager knew early on he had no shot at landing ASU.

Accelerati Incredibilus
August 7th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Furman brings the their market as much as any FCS football/mid-major basketball program brings their market. The comment was made and received in the proper context.

Translation: They are located in the market but don't move the needle or impact viewership.

Accelerati Incredibilus
August 7th, 2013, 07:40 PM
The men have left. Now it's the ankle biters and a bunch of mutts.....

xlolx

danefan
August 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Translation: They are located in the market but don't move the needle or impact viewership.

like most mid-major hoops and FCS teams do in most markets

SU DOG
August 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM
More interesting stuff from today's Sports Arsenal:

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2013/08/12/conference-realignment-an-open-window-to-the-world-of-the-caa-with-guest-appearances-by-the-socon-america-east-and-patriot-league/