PDA

View Full Version : Penn Picked to Win the Ivy League

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2013, 04:20 PM
http://ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/Penn_Enters_Season_as_Preseason_Pick_in_Football

Picked to win its fourth title in five years, Penn was the preseason selection of a panel of media representatives to win the 2013 Ivy League football title.

Penn (6-4, 6-1 Ivy League in 2012) received 11 of the 17 first-place votes and a total of 129 points. The Quakers have been voted the preseason favorite twice in the last three polls (2011 and 2013) and 10 times under head coach Al Bagnoli, who embarks on his 22nd season roaming the Franklin Field sidelines.

Rank School Points
1. Penn (11) 129
2. Harvard (5) 121
3. Brown (1) 88
4. Dartmouth 76
5. Princeton 73
6. Cornell 57
7. Yale 46
8. Columbia 22

Interesting - Dartmouth picked 4th, Princeton picked 5th. Columbia picked dead last by pretty much everyone. Penn/Harvard 1/2.

Pard4Life
August 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Wow... Princeton snubbed! Ivy is going to be very interesting, and tough, this year.

Ivytalk
August 7th, 2013, 06:34 AM
I'm not surprised. Harvard has uncertainty at the QB position.

World
August 7th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Wow... Princeton snubbed! Ivy is going to be very interesting, and tough, this year.

Yes, very interesting indeed as Princeton will be taking the title this year

DFW HOYA
August 7th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Not that I want to get into comparisons, but...

In 500 words or less, what must Columbia do to seriously compete for the Ivy title?

carney2
August 7th, 2013, 12:03 PM
One and two look about right, but the remainder is strange. Princeton below Dartmouth? Cornell 6th with the best returning QB in the League? The Ivy will be a scramble.

Pard4Life
August 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Not that I want to get into comparisons, but...

In 500 words or less, what must Columbia do to seriously compete for the Ivy title?

Start a one team league and call it the Ivy League?

Hard place to recruit. City school. Practice facility tough to get to. Culture of losing.

It may almost be worth making a gimmic hire.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Start a one team league and call it the Ivy League?

Hard place to recruit. City school. Practice facility tough to get to. Culture of losing.

It may almost be worth making a gimmic hire.

Of all the challenges of playing at Columbia, recruiting ain't one of them. I can think of quite a few young men who would fall over themselves to be a subway ride away from lower Manhattan.

DFW HOYA
August 7th, 2013, 12:28 PM

1. If you can't sell New York, you can't sell.
2. Lots of teams make do in city neighborhoods--USC, Pitt, Temple, to name a few.
3. Baker Field has always been off campus, but so too is the Yale Bowl and Brown Stadium.

4. The culture of losing is the biggest problem on Morningside Heights--it is like a cloud that extends right across that campus and tells prospective recruits and their parents that they will not succeed if they play for the Light Blue. No other Ivy has such a message within its canon.

Franks Tanks
August 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
1. If you can't sell New York, you can't sell.
2. Lots of teams make do in city neighborhoods--USC, Pitt, Temple, to name a few.
3. Baker Field has always been off campus, but so too is the Yale Bowl and Brown Stadium.

4. The culture of losing is the biggest problem on Morningside Heights--it is like a cloud that extends right across that campus and tells prospective recruits and their parents that they will not succeed if they play for the Light Blue. No other Ivy has such a message within its canon.

-Over 50 years since their last Ivy League title
-The epic losing streak in the 80's
-Campus that overall doesn't care much for sports
-Perhaps the most "anti-athletic" Ivy Campus based on the student body attracted to the school

They may get some good players, but they are often the last choice on the Ivy league ladder for a football player. I believe the Columbia admin does not feel the pressure to win, and does not devote the proper resources.

Pard4Life
August 7th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Of all the challenges of playing at Columbia, recruiting ain't one of them. I can think of quite a few young men who would fall over themselves to be a subway ride away from lower Manhattan.

Well if recruiting isn't the issue then why have they been terrible for 50 years? I am saying all of those factors make it a hard place to recruit football players. If you have players focused on Manhattan playground, they are not focused on playing football.

Ivytalk
August 7th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Yes, very interesting indeed as Princeton will be taking the title this yearxblehxxblehxxcrazyxxcrazyxxcrazyxxnutsxxnutsxx stretchxxstretchxxstretchx:D:D

ngineer
August 7th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Surprised about Princeton's place myself. I would have them 3rd.

Go Green
August 11th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Princeton below Dartmouth?

Dartmouth has won three straight against Princeton and it really hasn't been close.

Go Green
August 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Well if recruiting isn't the issue then why have they been terrible for 50 years? I am saying all of those factors make it a hard place to recruit football players. If you have players focused on Manhattan playground, they are not focused on playing football.

An old story about why Columbia doesn't win. Some factors still hold true today. A good read even if you aren't an Ivy fan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065589/1/index.htm

The Maestro
August 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
An old story about why Columbia doesn't win. Some factors still hold true today. A good read even if you aren't an Ivy fan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065589/1/index.htm

could telander have wrote something any more negative, condescending, or mocking?? i'm sure the article did wonders for recruiting

Go Green
August 11th, 2013, 01:22 PM
could telander have wrote something any more negative, condescending, or mocking??

We'll all note that you didn't accuse him of being inaccurate.

xlolx