PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Sports Network's '13 FCS predictions

knucklehead
August 6th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Don't know much about this site, but here are their predictions.
http://beyondsportsnetwork.com/articles/479/fcs-conference-and-playoff-predictions

Where is Richmond?

IBleedYellow
August 6th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Shouldn't take long for our UNI friends to chime in.

Obviously any article about things to come has some bias, but I think it wasn't a half bad attempt.

Also, SoCon sleeper was Chatty, he'll froze over.

Galaxy S4

NoDak 4 Ever
August 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
http://beyondsportsnetwork.com/articles/479/fcs-conference-and-playoff-predictions

Where is Richmond?

It's in Eastern Virginia.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wNJtF1XNe8Y/S13sdXNJipI/AAAAAAAABys/TaEgm_mHkYg/s400/rim-shot-.jpg

Pard4Life
August 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Geez... Patriot and Big South only two conferences without a sleeper pick...

Looks like he just copy n' pasted his PL picks from the preseason poll:

Patriot League
1. Colgate
2. Lehigh

Colgate will not win the PL, but everyone just pencils them in. Right now, I'd go:

1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette
Sleeper: Holy Cross

knucklehead
August 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
It's in Eastern Virginia.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wNJtF1XNe8Y/S13sdXNJipI/AAAAAAAABys/TaEgm_mHkYg/s400/rim-shot-.jpg

Hey, thanks! lol

walliver
August 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
It will be interesting to see if Appalachian State and Georgia Southern finish first and second, whether the NCAA will give the SOCON third seed the automatic bid.

He obviously didn't do his homework here.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM
He obviously didn't do his homework here.

Wow man, that is really poor work. Not only will they give the auto bid to anyone but App or GSU but another team at least will get in before those guys as well. I guess they also didn't know that neither App or GSU can win the Socon this year anyway. They can not win the Socon title since this is an exhibition year for them correct?

I guess it would be interesting if the matter was not already a forgone conclusion.

knucklehead
August 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Wow man, that is really poor work. Not only will they give the auto bid to anyone but App or GSU but another team at least will get in before those guys as well. I guess they also didn't know that neither App or GSU can win the Socon this year anyway. They can not win the Socon title since this is an exhibition year for them correct?

I guess it would be interesting if the matter was not already a forgone conclusion.

In fairness he did say this: *Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Old Dominion are ineligible for the FCS Playoffs

But yea, they can't win the conference.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 6th, 2013, 02:08 PM
In fairness he did say this: *Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Old Dominion are ineligible for the FCS Playoffs

But yea, they can't win the conference.

Ok then, why would they make the statement that walliver posted? This makes even less sense now.

URMite
August 6th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Where is Richmond?

They are there now. Are those numbers supposed to be seeding?

Very confusing...

If so I wonder if today's QB situation at JMU would change his mind...

Love Towson as a sleeper in the CAA...

bluehenbillk
August 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM
haha - his CAA knowledge...whatever

Grizcountry420
August 6th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Is Beyond Sports Network some sort of joke or what?

Sammy94
August 6th, 2013, 03:11 PM
So Eastern Kentucky and Chattanooga is in the west , SHSU and C. Arky are in the east.....should be named Beyond Geography also.

SpeedkingATL
August 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
SoCon should read:

1.Wofford
2.UTC
Sleepers: Samford
Citadel

carney2
August 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Geez... Patriot and Big South only two conferences without a sleeper pick...

Looks like he just copy n' pasted his PL picks from the preseason poll:

Patriot League
1. Colgate
2. Lehigh

Colgate will not win the PL, but everyone just pencils them in. Right now, I'd go:

1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette
Sleeper: Holy Cross

I'm coming down a little from my midsummer high, but I still see the L & L 1/2 battle as 50/50.

Lehigh'98
August 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'm coming down a little from my midsummer high, but I still see the L & L 1/2 battle as 50/50.

Would you lay even $$ on Laf @ Lehigh right now. If so, you may still be high.

Lehigh's biggest losses were on defense. They will be better schematically this year on D with a new coach back, but without the raw talent on Dline and LB'ers (so I think). Their QB wasn't a world beater, but a game manager, there may be an upgrade by midseason. I doubt LU will be firing on all cylinders in first 4-5 weeks, but by the time we play you guys, I'm hoping they will be cohesive enough to get W. LU - 23 Laf - 19.

Pard4Life
August 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Would you lay even $$ on Laf @ Lehigh right now. If so, you may still be high.

Lehigh's biggest losses were on defense. They will be better schematically this year on D with a new coach back, but without the raw talent on Dline and LB'ers (so I think). Their QB wasn't a world beater, but a game manager, there may be an upgrade by midseason. I doubt LU will be firing on all cylinders in first 4-5 weeks, but by the time we play you guys, I'm hoping they will be cohesive enough to get W. LU - 23 Laf - 19.

Ah, a reverse of the 2005 score? Interesting.

Five of those defensive losses were all-PL guys weren't they? And you lose major pieces on offense... Spadola-Colvin-Barkett... lots of things to fix and difficult to form cohesion sometimes with many new faces in key roles.

But yes, I'd say it's even now. Our OL should perform and our major question is if our DL can perform. If those two work out fine, we could make some noise. Of course, there is the Frankosaurus factor, which always places us in jeopardy of losing two games on its own.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 6th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ah, a reverse of the 2005 score? Interesting.

Five of those defensive losses were all-PL guys weren't they? And you lose major pieces on offense... Spadola-Colvin-Barkett... lots of things to fix and difficult to form cohesion sometimes with many new faces in key roles.

But yes, I'd say it's even now. Our OL should perform and our major question is if our DL can perform. If those two work out fine, we could make some noise. Of course, there is the Frankosaurus factor, which always places us in jeopardy of losing two games on its own.

Spadola missed significant time last year so the team knows what life is like without him. Kurfis emerged as a legit All-league type player anyway. Barket also battled injuries the last two years so he isn't as big of a loss as one might think. Sherman actually tore Lafayette up once Barket left the game last year. Kurfis, Sergio, Coyle and Sherman (very good pass catching RB) have great potential as a group in the passing game. Those guys along with an experienced OL should give the new QB some confidence.

The biggest issue is the DL imo. There's not a lot of big bodies and I'm concerned that at least one team will be able to push them around some. Granted, if there's some hidden depth then the concern isn't as high.

LB's and Secondary will be fine.

RichH2
August 6th, 2013, 05:23 PM
DL has athletes but not much size insidewhich will put more pressure on LBs. ndary s/b OK. O L deep and good so O will be productive much less reliance on big plays. BB accurate but not an arm like Colvin.

geaux_sioux
August 6th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Are these predictions also from 'Phil Steele'?

darell1976
August 6th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Are these predictions also from 'Phil Steele'?

I like how he picked Sac State over UND. Either he doesn't think much of our team or he doesn't know we are in DI, in both cases....UND needs to start making some noise in the conference.

geaux_sioux
August 6th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I like how he picked Sac State over UND. Either he doesn't think much of our team or he doesn't know we are in DI, in both cases....UND needs to start making some noise in the conference.

UND as a team doesn't deserve to be ranked highly preseason yet so I'm fine with that. The list as a whole reminds me of the utter ineptitude that was the 'Phil Steele' FCS position rankings

darell1976
August 6th, 2013, 08:53 PM
UND as a team doesn't deserve to be ranked highly preseason yet so I'm fine with that. The list as a whole reminds me of the utter ineptitude that was the 'Phil Steele' FCS position rankings

But to see a team like UC Davis or Missouri State get a vote and we don't proves they don't know we exist or we rank at the bottom with UNC and Idaho St. Beating the big boys (starting with SDSU which I have tickets for) will be the eye opener UND needs to get respect. Right now I don't think we earned anything as far as rankings but not getting 1 vote is hurtful.

ElCid
August 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM
This site actually makes the coaches poll look like a well thought out prognostication.

DJKyR0
August 6th, 2013, 10:02 PM
The spread for whatever team plays the PFL auto-bid has to be in the triple digits, right?

gobears14
August 6th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Not sure what you guys are talking about, it looks good to me :D

DJKyR0
August 7th, 2013, 12:15 AM

Not to bust your chops darell (by the way, I'm pronouncing it da-RELL because it's more fun) but how is that any more ridiculous than you picking UND over Montana State? Keep in mind you're bringing in a redshirt freshman QB and lost by 45 points last year. I'll hang up and listen.

darell1976
August 7th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Not to bust your chops darell (by the way, I'm pronouncing it da-RELL because it's more fun) but how is that any more ridiculous than you picking UND over Montana State? Keep in mind you're bringing in a redshirt freshman QB and lost by 45 points last year. I'll hang up and listen.

First of all I know two people who pronounced my name like that. But people didn't think UND would've beaten Montana last year and we did. I feel like teams are at home and because they are RFr doesn't necessarily mean they will suck. Jus think back to 1994...UND up 18-13 against NDSU in the dome when our Sr QB goes down at halftime, enter Kevin Klancher (Freshmen), UND wins 34-13. Anything can happen. UND is at home, will be coming off a bye week and I think will have the game go down to the wire with UND winning 34-31.

UNIFanSince1983
August 7th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Shouldn't take long for our UNI friends to chime in.

Obviously any article about things to come has some bias, but I think it wasn't a half bad attempt.

Also, SoCon sleeper was Chatty, he'll froze over.

Galaxy S4

My biggest issue is his inclusion of Indiana State. I would have included Illinois State or Youngstown State prior to Indiana State.

89rabbit
August 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM
But to see a team like UC Davis or Missouri State get a vote and we don't proves they don't know we exist or we rank at the bottom with UNC and Idaho St. Beating the big boys (starting with SDSU which I have tickets for) will be the eye opener UND needs to get respect. Right now I don't think we earned anything as far as rankings but not getting 1 vote is hurtful.

Good luck. I am looking forward to traveling to Grand Forks, winning, and eating potatoes - The Potato Bowl game is going to go to SDSU! xnodx

darell1976
August 7th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Good luck. I am looking forward to traveling to Grand Forks, winning, and eating potatoes - The Potato Bowl game is going to go to SDSU! xnodx

1997 was the last time SDSU played UND in the Potato Bowl. 28-7 UND won that game, and UND hasn't lost a Potato Bowl game since 2002, let's keep the streak alive!!

http://potatobowl.org/

89rabbit
August 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM
1997 was the last time SDSU played UND in the Potato Bowl. 28-7 UND won that game, and UND hasn't lost a Potato Bowl game since 2002, let's keep the streak alive!!

http://potatobowl.org/

When was the last time UND played a nationally ranked team for the Potato Bowl?

NoDak 4 Ever
August 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Yeah, I'd be really interested to know what teams they played in that stretch.

darell1976
August 7th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Probably back in the DII days like early on. UND has played the Potato Bowl since 1966, and has played Idaho St, Montana, Montana St, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, SDSU, but the best team I saw to play UND was in 1986 against Texas A&I (now Texas A&M-Kingsville) they had a great team with Johnny Bailey, and Heath Sherman. UND lost that game 67-44.

darell1976
August 7th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I'd be really interested to know what teams they played in that stretch.

In 2008 UND beat DIII Wisconsin-Lacrosse....SDSU must remember them;)

344Johnson
August 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
First of all I know two people who pronounced my name like that. But people didn't think UND would've beaten Montana last year and we did. I feel like teams are at home and because they are RFr doesn't necessarily mean they will suck.

Montana was also bad last year.

darell1976
August 7th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Montana was also bad last year.

But yet all of sudden they are up there in the polls. How about this....what makes Bison fans think they will beat Indiana State? They lost to them in the Fargodome. Its the same thing, you look at your team and see what negatives you have, and what positives you have then decide can you beat your opponent. I feel UND will beat Montana State due to a fresh team with a bye week so lots of time to prepare, also they are at home, very tough on opponents. Yes UND has Mollberg and Bartels fighting for the QB spot to get their first colleigant snap but even rookies can have success. Happens in the NFL, happens in college.

344Johnson
August 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM
But yet all of sudden they are up there in the polls. How about this....what makes Bison fans think they will beat Indiana State? They lost to them in the Fargodome. Its the same thing, you look at your team and see what negatives you have, and what positives you have then decide can you beat your opponent. I feel UND will beat Montana State due to a fresh team with a bye week so lots of time to prepare, also they are at home, very tough on opponents. Yes UND has Mollberg and Bartels fighting for the QB spot to get their first colleigant snap but even rookies can have success. Happens in the NFL, happens in college.

Montana will always be in the polls. When you are consistently an exceptional team you get the benefit of the doubt.

Why do 'SU fans think we will beat ISU-b? Because last year, NDSU had to play their worst game of the year to lose by 3 points....and ISU-b has lost their coach, the ISU-b game was the outlier, not the norm last season.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Montana will always be in the polls. When you are consistently an exceptional team you get the benefit of the doubt.

Why do 'SU fans think we will beat ISU-b? Because last year, NDSU had to play their worst game of the year to lose by 3 points....and ISU-b has lost their coach, the ISU-b game was the outlier, not the norm last season.

In fact, the only two losses in the last 30 games were because of dumb, uncharacteristic, flukey plays and total turds laid by the Bison. Might happen but pretty unlikely.

darell1976
August 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Are they doomed to return to the cellar? Seems like they made big strides from the days of getting beat by Quincy and being a cellar dweller. I think until someone new steps up it will be NDSU, SDSU, and UNI for the MVFC title. Tough trees to take down if you are SIU or ISU-r.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 7th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Are they doomed to return to the cellar? Seems like they made big strides from the days of getting beat by Quincy and being a cellar dweller. I think until someone new steps up it will be NDSU, SDSU, and UNI for the MVFC title. Tough trees to take down if you are SIU or ISU-r.

Kind of off-topic but that really got me thinking. Did YSU join the Gateway thinking they would be the perennial top dog? I know they haven't had the same success since The Vest left but when they joined, they weren't too far removed from the national championship.

344Johnson
August 7th, 2013, 10:37 AM
In fact, the only two losses in the last 30 games were because of dumb, uncharacteristic, flukey plays and total turds laid by the Bison. Might happen but pretty unlikely.

I still have yet to wrap by head around the McNorton unforced fumble.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 7th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I still have yet to wrap by head around the McNorton unforced fumble.

Yep, that would have put the game away for good.

89rabbit
August 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
In 2008 UND beat DIII Wisconsin-Lacrosse....SDSU must remember them;)

17976 xnonox xblehx xlolx

geaux_sioux
August 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Glass house for sure...... Our scheduling is more than solid now at least

IBleedYellow
August 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Because, NDSU as fans are used to having a great product on the field. We strive for excellence. Our teams in the last 3 years have proved this over and over again. Look at our loses in the past 3 years. Three very uncharacteristic games when the team just wasn't clicking that day.

UND's par for the course isn't National Titles. Prove yourselves at this level first and then you will get the preseason love. Preseason is all about the clout that your program brings to the table. I'm sorry, but UND hasn't proven anything yet about how they have a power team. Facts are facts.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Glass house for sure...... Out scheduling is more than solid now at least

As opposed to?

geaux_sioux
August 7th, 2013, 07:21 PM
As opposed to?

It's supposed to say our. As in all D1 teams and strong opponents at home.

darell1976
August 7th, 2013, 08:19 PM

However we get more **** from other fans (NDSU) about our loss to USF than your guy's loss to Wisconsin-Lacrosse. But those days are gone (I hope!!).

Grizo406
August 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM

Where is Richmond?

I don't make predictions or polls, and there's a reason for it.

But, if I did make predictions, and polls, I suspect it would look something like this one!xcoffeex