PDA

View Full Version : Big South's big start comes at SoCon's expense

CSU BUCS
September 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/default_pf.aspx?NEWSID=107658

BY JEFF HARTSELL

Since it began sponsoring football five years ago, the Big South Conference has been viewed as something of a little brother to the Southern Conference.

After all, when VMI decided it couldn't compete in SoCon football any longer, where did the Keydets go? To the Big South.

That perception took a hit last weekend, however, as Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern - Big South co-champions a year ago - won road games at SoCon foes.

Coastal's 41-38 win at Wofford and CSU's 38-35 win over rival The Citadel gave the Big South a 2-1 record against the SoCon this season (Elon beat Coastal in the season opener).

"It didn't hurt," Coastal Carolina coach David Bennett said when asked if the victories had boosted the Big South's reputation.

Overall, the five teams in the Big South are 8-2 this season, including 2-0 starts for Gardner-Webb, CSU and Liberty.

"I have been here for all but one year of football in the Big South," said CSU coach Jay Mills, whose team has won seven straight games, third-longest in Division I-AA football. "And we've always talked about how competitive the programs are within the league. But to see those results outside of the league, that's truly reflective of the confidence the league is gaining in football."

Others are starting to take notice, as well. Coastal Carolina, which has gone 10-1 and 9-2 the last two seasons, began the season in The Sports Network's Top 25, but dropped out after the loss to Elon. Coastal is up to No. 30 in Don Hansen's Football Gazette Top 40, with Charleston Southern at No. 38, surely a high-water mark for the Bucs, who have had one winning season in 16 years of football.

The SoCon's weekend got worse when Georgia Southern lost its home opener for the first time 1996, 17-13 to Central Connecticut State. App State and Furman were the only teams out of seven in action to win.

Of course, the Big South has a long way to go before matching the overall depth and quality of teams in the SoCon, which has produced six national champions since 1988, including App State last year. An important step for the Big South is to reach six teams, the minimum required for an automatic bid to the 16-team I-AA playoffs. Presbyterian College, which is leaving Division II for I-AA, will join the league next year, but won't play a Big South schedule until 2008, and won't be eligible for league championships until 2011.

Until then, Big South teams must scrap for one of eight at-large berths to the playoffs, and continue to beef up their schedules. Coastal took a major step this season with four SoCon teams plus S.C. State on the slate. Bennett said Georgia Southern and Furman will be making return trips to Conway in the future. "We feel like we're playing in two leagues," said Bennett, whose team plays as many SoCon teams as it does Big South foes this season.

At CSU, the Bucs plan a four-game series with Wofford and are close to announcing a game with a major I-A program, which would be a first for the school.

Meanwhile, the SoCon-Big South competition will continue this season - Coastal still has Georgia Southern and Furman to play, Gardner-Webb gets App State and Wofford, Liberty faces Western Carolina and VMI takes on The Citadel.