PDA

View Full Version : For those of us not really paying attention....

Franks Tanks
August 5th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Who are the new FCS teams for 2013?

I believe Stetson, Mercer, Abeline Christian, Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist are joining this year. I know about UNC-Charlotte as well, but I believe they are going to FBS as quickly as possible.

ACU has been pretty good in D-II. Are the other schools new to football?

Seems like new FCS members will come from southern private schools in the near future.

Lehigh'98
August 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I believe a guy from Abilene posted in the Rose colored glasses (aka no team finishes below 9-3) thread. Maybe if he sees this he can give us some more detail on them.

bjtheflamesfan
August 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Houston Baptist, Stetson and Mercer along with UNCC are the brand new programs for 2013 at the Division I-AA/FCS level. ETSU is set for reinstatement and membership in the SoCon in 2014 or 2015 (I forget which)

Laker
August 5th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Some people don't like Wikipedia but it has a list of all FCS teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_programs

The following programs are transitioning from NCAA Division II to FCS. They will technically be FCS independents in 2013, but playing Division II schedules, before being counted as FCS members for scheduling purposes in 2014.
School Team City State Conference
Abilene Christian Wildcats Abilene TX Southland
Incarnate Word Cardinals San Antonio TX Southland Started playing FB in 2009

Starting FCS programs
School Nickname City State Conference Play
Charlotte 49ers Charlotte NC Independent 2013
Houston Baptist Huskies Houston TX Southland 2013
East Tennessee State Buccaneers Johnson City TN Southern 2015
Kennesaw State Owls Kennesaw GA TBD 2015[4]

Houston Baptist is playing an exhibition schedule for 2013 before playing a full Southland Conference schedule in 2014.

Laker
August 5th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I believe a guy from Abilene posted in the Rose colored glasses (aka no team finishes below 9-3) thread. Maybe if he sees this he can give us some more detail on them.

I'm guessing that was Catatonic. He posted on the D2 site. ACU has had some really good teams in the past.

JSUBison
August 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Kennesaw State and U of New Orleans will be starting up teams, they are several years out though.

Franks Tanks
August 5th, 2013, 02:36 PM
ACU placed a few guys in the NFL recently. I recall seeing a playoff game involving ACU that was very high scoring- I think they scored in the 50's and still lost. They appear to be a program that can do some damage in the near future.

I know next to nothing about the other schools (aside from UNC-Charlotte).

Lehigh Football Nation
August 5th, 2013, 02:45 PM

The following programs are transitioning from NCAA Division II to FCS. They will technically be FCS independents in 2013, but playing Division II schedules, before being counted as FCS members for scheduling purposes in 2014.

Starting FCS programs

Houston Baptist is playing an exhibition schedule for 2013 before playing a full Southland Conference schedule in 2014.

I believe the Wikipedia page is incorrect, and Incarnate Word and ACU are considered D-II programs this season. In 2014-15 they will be "FCS Transitional".

Similarly, UNCC is "FCS" in their first year and will be "FBS Transitional" in 2014-2015.

Laker
August 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Kennesaw State and U of New Orleans will be starting up teams, they are several years out though.

JSUBison, have you heard anything lately on UNO? I heard about a year ago that they are talking about it, but I haven't seen anything official. KSU says 2015.

Sandlapper Spike
August 5th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I'm fairly sure Incarnate Word begins its D-1 transition this season. Could be wrong about that.

katstrapper
August 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Abilene Christian is a solid program moving up from the Lonestar Conference (DII).

katstrapper
August 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM

They have moved to Southland Conference as well. No word if they are starting football or not that I can remember.

Wildcat 86
August 12th, 2013, 10:48 AM

I'm an ACU alum and former letterman. To be blunt, this season for us is a building block season. I'd be surprised if we play ANY freshmen. Our starting QB is a SR who only has around 10 passing attempts in his previous three years. We are extremely thin (depth-wise) on both OL and DL, and we don't have a lot of front 7 talent. With that said, we have a pretty cupcake schedule this year. We don't get to play for post-season for 5 years. Our coaches understand that this is a process, one that is built over time. They are doing it right. Our biggest areas we focused on in recruiting were OL and DL. They will be our foundation going forward. As far as this season goes, I would expect to win more than we lose if only because our schedule is very weak.

ACU Trackfan
August 18th, 2013, 07:20 PM
ACU will indeed begin our transition period this year - therefore, the first year of playoff eligibility will be 2017. Because the Southland Conference schedules were already set, both ACU and Incarnate Word will play independent schedules in football only. ACU will play Incarnate Word twice, also playing Houston Baptist, who will be playing a partial schedule this first year in FCS football - only playing 6-8 games. HBU will play it's home games in a high school stadium this first year (Strake Jesuit), but will play ACU in BBVA Compass Stadium - the professional soccer team stadium in Houston - a stadium that holds 18-20,000.

ACU will have a pretty good team in 2013, as Wildcat 86 alluded above. ACU has had the luxury of having 2 consecutive 12,000 yard career passers in the past 8 years - only the 3rd NCAA team to ever have that happen. The 5th year senior who takes the reins this season is a good leader, will have some seasoned receivers to throw to, yet may run as much as he throws. The independent schedule is a mish-mash of team, as would be expected. NAIA schools (Concordia of Alabama), D-II schools (McMurry in its 2nd year as a D-II after years as a D-III, New Mexico Highlands, Tarleton State, and the always tough Pittsburg State), 2 FCS programs (Illinois State, will probably kill ACU in Normal, and the perennially horrible Prairie View) and one FBS money game - against possibly the worst FBS team in America, New Mexico State. Only 4 home games and 7 games on the road - a pretty typical independent schedule.

ACU will only have 44-45 scholarships this season - the 'Cats will move from the D-II 36 scholarships to FCS 63 gradually - I think the goal is be fully funded for 63 schollies by 2017 - adding 5-6 a years for the next few years. Time will tell if ACU will be able to compete at the FCS level - I personally think ACU will be fairly competitive in a league, the Southland, that has a rather huge gap between the haves (Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Central Arkansas and McNeese) and its have-nots (eveyone else).

Nickels
August 18th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Is ACU going to get out of the 1920's and allow adults to have an effing beer at the tailgate? Please tell me the tailgates aren't prayer and cookie parties.

McTailGator
August 18th, 2013, 07:33 PM
It's time for some ACU fan to step up and create your own message board and join the other SLC schools in postings.

ACU Trackfan
August 18th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Nickels - NO!

McGator, I think that Catatonic is trying to get just such a forum started. I am impressed with the McNeese site.

kingkat99
August 18th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Is ACU going to get out of the 1920's and allow adults to have an effing beer at the tailgate? Please tell me the tailgates aren't prayer and cookie parties.

Wait wait wait.....you can't drink at tailgates??? Is there at least a bar in town to drink at pregame?

Nickels
August 18th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Nickels - NO!

McGator, I think that Catatonic is trying to get just such a forum started. I am impressed with the McNeese site.
"NO!" to the prayer & cookie party or "NO!" to alcohol?

ACU Trackfan
August 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Nickels, you won't see the ACU tailgate with alcohol served. You will see some mean barbecue, sausage, probably not many cookies. I would suppose that anyone coming to the game can serve anything they choose at their tailgate. There won't anyone "policing" tailgates at the stadium. One thing to remember, ACU plays in a public school stadium - there are few Texas public high school stadiums that will serve alcohol within the stadium.

Nickels
August 18th, 2013, 08:28 PM
There won't anyone "policing" tailgates at the stadium.
:sigh: ok good. Yeah I'm pretty sure there aren't any stadiums in our conference that actually serve inside the stadium. We have to go to Reliant or Frisco for that.

I thought alcohol was banned in the tailgate. As in, someone was going to be checking cups & making sure your not sinning or whatnot.

Oldschool Colonel
August 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Nickels;1989869]:sigh: ok good. Yeah I'm pretty sure there aren't any stadiums in our conference that actually serve inside the stadium. We have to go to Reliant or Frisco for that.

I thought alcohol was banned in the tailgate. As in, someone was going to be checking cups & making sure your not sinning or whatnot.[/QUOTE

We've served beer in Guidry stadium the last two years! We needed something to get us through most of those games!

lionsrking2
August 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM
:sigh: ok good. Yeah I'm pretty sure there aren't any stadiums in our conference that actually serve inside the stadium. We have to go to Reliant or Frisco for that.

I thought alcohol was banned in the tailgate. As in, someone was going to be checking cups & making sure your not sinning or whatnot.

We serve beer inside Strawberry Stadium.

Nickels
August 18th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Hell yeah! You coonasses just got alot cooler in my book. I did not know that.

I've only been to NW & McNeese.

I was 50/50 on making the Hammond trip but I'm definitely going now. Didn't make it to Thibodaux last year, had to work. xthumbsdownx

edit- Honestly I think not selling it in the stadium just causes more problems. If you sell it in the stadium, I doubt people would get as plastered in the last hour of the tailgate.

TheRevSFA
August 18th, 2013, 09:57 PM
I'm fairly sure Incarnate Word begins its D-1 transition this season. Could be wrong about that.

This is correct. It started July 1

SUPharmacist
August 18th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Incarnate Word is where Ricky Williams is helping coach right? How do you think he will do?

kingkat99
August 19th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Incarnate Word is where Ricky Williams is helping coach right? How do you think he will do?

As long as he doesn't end up with a Honey Badger type player sharing his bud with him and the NCAA doesn't start drug testing coaching staff he should do fine.

fmrbearkat
August 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM

Beer was not served in Frisco and I don't think it was served during our games at reliant but i may be wrong on Reliant. The suites at reliant served alcohol and the suites at Bowers have beer and wine that you pay for.

Sam_Kats
August 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Beer IS served at BOTPW in Reliant.

Nickels
August 19th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Beer was not served in Frisco and I don't think it was served during our games at reliant but i may be wrong on Reliant. The suites at reliant served alcohol and the suites at Bowers have beer and wine that you pay for.
Reliant had aluminum bottle beers, I remember that distinctly. I'm pretty I remember buying 2 beers at Frisco in opaque plastic cups if not last year maybe it was in 2011? I was wrong earlier, maybe I'm mistaken about Frisco. Reliant I'm positive about.

fmrbearkat
August 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Reliant had aluminum bottle beers, I remember that distinctly. I'm pretty I remember buying 2 beers at Frisco in opaque plastic cups if not last year maybe it was in 2011? I was wrong earlier, maybe I'm mistaken about Frisco. Reliant I'm positive about.

I know i tried to go out during half time in 2011 to make a drink and they said no return which is really effin stupid so we went to the concession stand and all they had was the regular stadium stuff. Maybe they were at a different stand but i never saw them. Sure would make not being able to go out at halftime bearable if that were the case! Hope to find out this year!! ;)

Catatonic
August 19th, 2013, 01:34 PM

I am that guy xsmugx

I will add to the perspectives offered by the two other ACU posters.

General

ACU has a long history of athletic excellence. The Wildcats rank 4th in total number of NCAA Championships with 57. For most of our history we have been known as a track school, and the majority of our championships have been in either indoor or outdoor track. Sadly, we have never won a NCAA football championship.

One of the questions always raised about schools moving up if whether they can be competitive in attendance and about financial stability. We have averaged between 6.900 and 8,500 for home football games over the past few years. Forbes magazine just ranked ACU number 100 out of 4.500 private universities in the country in financial health. Our campus and facilities are excellent.

Recent Football History:

Chris Thomson turned ACU football around when he was hired in 2005. During his tenure as head coach from 2005 to 2011, the Wildcats went 61-26, and placed a number of players in "the league," beginning with 8 year veteran DB Danieal Manning (Bears, Texans). A total of 6 Wildcats are currently on NFL rosters and 2 are playing in Canada.
Thomson's teams were known for their high octane offense, once winning against West Texas A&M by a score of 93-68. Our one experience v a FCS team during his tenure was a lopsided win over Texas State in 2007.

Thomson moved to Texas Tech last year to coach the OL. He was replaced by offensive coordinator Ken Collums, who was with Thomson from the beginning and the architect of our innovative offense.

Present:

Collums finished 7-4 in his inaugural season. ACU lost two key players to the pros, including record setting 3 year starting QB Mitchell Gale (Toronto Argonauts, CFL) and kicker Morgan Lineberry (Carolina Panthers). We return a stable of good running backs and receivers and three starters from our OL. Mitchell's replacement is senior John David Baker, who has seen very limited game time and is known more as a run-pass QB than a pure passer. This will lead to a few new wrinkles in our offense this year.

Defense. We switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense last year and brought in a new D coordinator and assistants. We have some talent at DE and in the secondary. Our DL should hold its own. LB was a weakness last year, due to numerous injuries. Hopefully, under with players who are more comfortable in the new defensive alignment and a healthy LB corps, we will show improvement this year.

We play an patch work schedule this year, owing to our transition from D2 to FCS. It is hard to schedule when we don't count as a playoff qualifier for either FCS or D2. Our schedule includes one NAIA school, a mix of d2 and fcs schools and FBS New Mexico State.

On the Rose Colored Glasses thread I predicted we would finish 8-3 this year, with losses to Illinois State, NMSU and one of the d2 schools. Bluntly put, we would not have a winning record if we weren't playing a weak schedule, with NAIA, d2, and start up teams dotting the schedule.

Looking ahead:

As noted earlier, Wildcats plan to redshirt most of this year's recruits in advance of playing a tougher schedule next year, when we open at Air Force and play a full Southland Conference slate.

I am not sure how many guys we will have on scholarship next year. We plan to move ahead incrementally until we reach the limit by the time we have finished our probation and qualify for the playoffs.

Hope that provides some insight into the kind of team we are....and where we are headed.

Tealblood
August 19th, 2013, 01:42 PM
If you are playing at Air Force next year you better be pretty close to 63 schollies

Catatonic
August 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM
It's time for some ACU fan to step up and create your own message board and join the other SLC schools in postings.

Done. Beta version up as of yesterday evening.

Not very sophisticated, but its a start.

http://catchat.freeforums.net/

Catatonic
August 19th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Wait wait wait.....you can't drink at tailgates??? Is there at least a bar in town to drink at pregame?

Plenty of bars and if the mood strikes you, there is even a bar church on Sunday AM.

http://www.barchurchabilene.com/

Catatonic
August 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM
If you are playing at Air Force next year you better be pretty close to 63 schollies

Probably closer to 50 plus than 60 plus next year. Our trip to Colorado Springs will probably not be pretty....but a long weekend in the Rockies will help heal our broken hearts and shattered egos.

Nickels
August 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Plenty of bars and if the mood strikes you, there is even a bar church on Sunday AM.

http://www.barchurchabilene.com/
No thanks, I'm just going to get extra wasted at the tailgate. **** your school's lame rules. xshakefistx

Catatonic
August 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
No thanks, I'm just going to get extra wasted at the tailgate. **** your school's lame rules. xshakefistx

No problema. I am guessing lots of ACU fans will be glad to join you..

fmrbearkat
August 19th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Probably closer to 50 plus than 60 plus next year. Our trip to Colorado Springs will probably not be pretty....but a long weekend in the Rockies will help heal our broken hearts and shattered egos.

A long weekend in Colorado Springs will KILL your lungs!!! I played at Northern Arizona (2002) i think and at 7k feet it is the second highest stadium behind Colorado St. It was horrid....thought i was going to die in warmups on friday!! You better have some good depth out of those 50-60 guys because your backups will see alot of time giving the first string guys a breather. Absolute hell trying to play football at that altitude!!!!!

Saint3333
August 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM
The westward shift is strong.

Laker
August 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM
A long weekend in Colorado Springs will KILL your lungs!!! I played at Northern Arizona (2002) i think and at 7k feet it is the second highest stadium behind Colorado St. It was horrid....thought i was going to die in warmups on friday!! You better have some good depth out of those 50-60 guys because your backups will see alot of time giving the first string guys a breather. Absolute hell trying to play football at that altitude!!!!!

Wyoming has the highest in FBS, but NAU is second and therefore the highest in FCS according to Wikipedia:

"Jonah Field at War Memorial Stadium is an outdoor football stadium on the campus of the University of Wyoming in Laramie. It is the highest Division I FBS college football stadium in the nation; the playing field sits at a lofty elevation of 7215 feet (2199 m) above sea level.The next highest Division I FBS stadium is Falcon Stadium at the U.S. Air Force Academy, about 600 feet (182 m) lower in Colorado Springs."

"The Skydome is named after J. Lawrence Walkup, the president of NAU from 1958 to 1979, a period of tremendous growth for the university. The playing surface is at an elevation of 6980 feet (2127 m) above sea level,[4] second only to Wyoming's War Memorial Stadium, by 335 feet (102 m). Twenty feet (6 m) above the field is a red line marked with "7000," indicating the exact point where the building hits 7000 feet (2133 m) elevation. Originally AstroTurf, the playing surface for football is now infilled FieldTurf."

dbackjon
August 19th, 2013, 03:48 PM

2002 - NAU beat you guys up pretty bad - revenge for knocking us out of the playoffs the prior year

fmrbearkat
August 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
2002 - NAU beat you guys up pretty bad - revenge for knocking us out of the playoffs the prior year

Yeah we had basically the same team except for our qb play was pretty weak in '02 and '03 and y'all got us both years. 2002 was a trip from hell! Nobody told our school (nau or our airline) that it would be impossible to fly out of flagstaff in a 737 fully loaded and we sat around the stadium for 2 hours. My dad is a 12k hour pilot (former commercial) and was concerned so he called the FBO and they said the only team to ever fly out loaded out was the Cardinals on a 757 and that a 737 couldn't do it. AD then called the airline (frontier) and it took the pilots 2 hours (plane was already on the ramp in flagstaff) to figure out that we couldn't do it. Could have been very bad!!!We then left the stadium at midnight finally and made the trek to Phoneix and after loading everything up and flying home we got back to Huntsville at 11am Sunday morning! I hated everything about that trip!!!

dbackjon
August 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah we had basically the same team except for our qb play was pretty weak in '02 and '03 and y'all got us both years. 2002 was a trip from hell! Nobody told our school (nau or our airline) that it would be impossible to fly out of flagstaff in a 737 fully loaded and we sat around the stadium for 2 hours. My dad is a 12k hour pilot (former commercial) and was concerned so he called the FBO and they said the only team to ever fly out loaded out was the Cardinals on a 757 and that a 737 couldn't do it. AD then called the airline (frontier) and it took them 2 hours to figure out that we couldn't do it. We then left the stadium at midnight finally and made the trek to Phoneix and after loading everything up and flying home we got back to Huntsville at 11am Sunday morning! I hated everything about that trip!!!

That is some trip - yeah, big airliners rarely fly out of Flagstaff

Catatonic
August 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Yeah we had basically the same team except for our qb play was pretty weak in '02 and '03 and y'all got us both years. 2002 was a trip from hell! Nobody told our school (nau or our airline) that it would be impossible to fly out of flagstaff in a 737 fully loaded and we sat around the stadium for 2 hours. My dad is a 12k hour pilot (former commercial) and was concerned so he called the FBO and they said the only team to ever fly out loaded out was the Cardinals on a 757 and that a 737 couldn't do it. AD then called the airline (frontier) and it took the pilots 2 hours (plane was already on the ramp in flagstaff) to figure out that we couldn't do it. Could have been very bad!!!We then left the stadium at midnight finally and made the trek to Phoneix and after loading everything up and flying home we got back to Huntsville at 11am Sunday morning! I hated everything about that trip!!!

Rough trip. I am guessing you did not take the Oak Creek Canyon scenic route from Flag down to Phoenix? xsmugx

fmrbearkat
August 19th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Rough trip. I am guessing you did not take the Oak Creek Canyon scenic route from Flag down to Phoenix? xsmugx

I have no idea the rout as i I was laying in the isle trying to sleep. During the trip a herd of elk was on the road and the bus had to hit the brakes pretty good and those of us in the floor ended up about 20 ft further towards the front than where we were originally laying. Needless to say we didn't sleep much after that.

Catatonic
August 19th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I have no idea the rout as i I was laying in the isle trying to sleep. During the trip a herd of elk was on the road and the bus had to hit the brakes pretty good and those of us in the floor ended up about 20 ft further towards the front than where we were originally laying. Needless to say we didn't sleep much after that.

You will have some great stories to tell your kids and grandkids.

TheRevSFA
August 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Beer was served at reliant

fmrbearkat
August 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM
You will have some great stories to tell your kids and grandkids.

That's no lie...we got to do alot of traveling and definately a group of guys that are closer than brothers. Not really sure if I want my son to do it but looking back the experiences and work ethic i learned was probably worth the damage to my body! Many days I don't think I would say that though!! No question the worst food was Michigan! They served hamburger steaks with brown gravy for breakfast!! Hotel staff said that was more common there than breakfast sausage. Don't know if that's true but its sure not good at breakfast. Also served brown gravy on there biscuits!! Best trip was probably Missoula. Played there 3 times and the people and atmosphere were pretty awesome. Had to go back as a visitor just to see the area and it was a great visit.

Mr. C
August 22nd, 2013, 12:35 AM
"NO!" to the prayer & cookie party or "NO!" to alcohol?

This reminds me of a tennis player from the community I covered in Southern California years ago, who helped Abilene Christian to the Division II championships and was kicked out of school for a drinking violation. He ended up in a better situation at Cal Poly, so it all worked out for him.

Gordon Shumway
August 22nd, 2013, 12:11 PM

Starting FCS programs

Stetson is not on the list, but it would seem they should be considered FCS. They will be playing their first football game since 1956 this year. Their first 3 games are not FCS, but they have a full 8 game Pioneer League schedule after that start.

Laker
August 22nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
Good point, Gordon. Here is the schedule for the Hatters.

Sat, Aug 31 Warner University DeLand, Fla. (Spec Martin Stadium) 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 07 Florida Tech at Palm Bay, Fla. 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 21 Birmingham-Southern DeLand, Fla. (Spec Martin Stadium) 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 28 San Diego * DeLand, Fla. (Spec Martin Stadium) 1:00 p.m.

Sat, Oct 05 Butler * at Indianapolis, Ind. 1:00 p.m.

Sat, Oct 12 Dayton * DeLand, Fla. (Spec Martin Stadium) 1:00 p.m.

Sat, Oct 26 Marist * at Poughkeepsie, NY 1:00 p.m.

Sat, Nov 02 Campbell * DeLand, Fla. (Spec Martin Stadium) 1:00 p.m.

Sat, Nov 09 Davidson * DeLand, Fla. (Spec Martin Stadium) 3:00 p.m.

Sat, Nov 16 Jacksonville * at Jacksonville, Fla. 1:00 p.m.

Sat, Nov 23 Mercer * at Macon, Ga. 4:00 p.m.