PDA

View Full Version : Oh wow. So apparently App State NEVER three-peated...

IBleedYellow
August 3rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408011/group/Sports/

I can't believe this qualifies as journalism in this city. I am utterly embarrassed and appalled.

First of all, he talks about Erk Russell like HE interviewed him and Erk is still around. Which is he not. He died in 2006 due to a stroke, I believe.

Second...NO MENTION OF APP STATE AT ALL?!

If even one of you states "DIAA =/= FCS" I will neg-rep you. It's the same division.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
If I owned the Forum, someone would get a harsh talking to if not fired.

The actual paper blazed the story full-page on section D and also contained a little box explaining about FCS teams that "almost made it" to a three peat. The last one it mentions is Georgia Southern from 1998-2000.

It doesn't even mistakenly show App St as winning at least two national champions or participating in three national championship games.

Just really sad....

Thundar
August 3rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408011/group/Sports/

I can't believe this qualifies as journalism in this city. I am utterly embarrassed and appalled.

First of all, he talks about Erk Russell like HE interviewed him and Erk is still around. Which is he not. He died in 2006 due to a stroke, I believe.

Second...NO MENTION OF APP STATE AT ALL?!

If even one of you states "DIAA =/= FCS" I will neg-rep you. It's the same division.

to be fair he did mention Appy, but only in regards to a loss

what a dumba**

eaglewraith
August 3rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
With 20 of 22 starters back from last year’s national championship team, NDSU could very well become the first FCS team to win three straight national titles.

Oh lulz. Nice reporting there.

Thundar
August 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Oh lulz. Nice reporting there.

umm...yeah that's what we are all making fun of

bjtheflamesfan
August 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Yeah if I was this guy's editor Id have the story pulled immediately and make him go back and rewrite it...making certain to mention the App State threepeat on his rewrite

Bisonator
August 3rd, 2013, 08:32 PM
The good ole Fargo Foolum! xlolx

eaglewraith
August 3rd, 2013, 08:39 PM
umm...yeah that's what we are all making fun of

I couldn't believe how dumb it was so I had to quote it just for it to register in my brain.

Maybe I shouldn't have read the chattown thread before this one....I think my IQ got lowered too much over there.

Thundar
August 3rd, 2013, 08:44 PM
I couldn't believe how dumb it was so I had to quote it just for it to register in my brain.

Maybe I shouldn't have read the chattown thread before this one....I think my IQ got lowered too much over there.

lol it's ok, just didnt want this turned into a NDSU thing when we all are making a point to out this idiot for his lack of knowledge or pure laziness not sure which to blame but I'm leaning towards option three.....STUPID

on behalf of the Forum which I have zero affiliation I do apologize to App st. they deserve the respect they earned by doing something very few teams can or will ever do.........and sadly enough Coach Moore was in Fargo telling the 3 peat story and this same paper covered it...xcrazyx

IBleedYellow
August 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
For what it's worth I emailed Kevin pointing out a few errors and he replied to me very quickly apologizing.

Galaxy S4

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2013, 08:57 PM
Wow, that is a pretty piss poor oversight.

Well after seeing that I think it's pretty cool that in spite of not getting it all correct the first time that he did go make it right.

Tell him we'll be his editor if he needs it in the future. xlolx

IBleedYellow
August 3rd, 2013, 09:06 PM
Well, he edited it. Didn't mention App State, but removed the "retired" part for Erk Russell.

I'm "happy"

PaladinFan
August 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Not just whiffed on a major fact, but its not like App's three championships are ancient history. Their three peat was, what, five years ago?

BisonFan02
August 3rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
First off, I've never been able to hold the Forum to a high standard to begin with regarding NDSU coverage (however, Kolpack and Co do a pretty good job with the media blog alongside Dom Izzo), but this is probably the first time I have been visibly ticked off regarding an article that they published. These aren't just mistakes/errors...it is a blatant case of being wholly uninformed and lazy. Kevin Schnepf is the Sports EDITOR of the Forum...let that sink in for a second.

BisonFan02
August 3rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Well, he edited it. Didn't mention App State, but removed the "retired" part for Erk Russell.

I'm "happy"

I'm not...a letter to the Forum might be in order. This is one of those "save draft" moments where I sleep on it and re-read the next day.

Mr. C
August 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM
One of the unfortunate facts of the evaporating newsrooms for many publications is the fact that editing has become even dicier than ever. Even major publications make major mistakes in stories far more frequently than they used to. It also doesn't help that many veteran journalists are being replaced by youngsters who make no effort to learn the history of the beats they are covering.

IBleedYellow
August 3rd, 2013, 09:19 PM
I'm not...a letter to the Forum might be in order. This is one of those "save draft" moments where I sleep on it and re-read the next day.

Ahhhhh, the quotes didn't give it justice, I see.

My happy in quotes meant pissed. I emailed Kevin, I also wonder if a letter to someone higher up calling them out on their "accuracy" should be questioned.

Galaxy S4

Mr. C
August 3rd, 2013, 09:20 PM
First off, I've never been able to hold the Forum to a high standard to begin with regarding NDSU coverage (however, Kolpack and Co do a pretty good job with the media blog alongside Dom Izzo), but this is probably the first time I have been visibly ticked off regarding an article that they published. These aren't just mistakes/errors...it is a blatant case of being wholly uninformed and lazy. Kevin Schnepf is the Sports EDITOR of the Forum...let that sink in for a second.

That is pretty poor. In my mind, there is NO excuse for an editor, or a columnist to be that uninformed.

bjtheflamesfan
August 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Agreed. My editor at the News and Advance here when I was a freelancer would have given me the third degree with an oversight like that and certainly wouldnt have missed a piece that major

Twentysix
August 3rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
I emailed him about it in the middle of the night, he replied kindly and said it would be fixed, explaining that he "knew about app's three peat" but he just spaced on it while writing the piece.

He also made it obvious many many others also emailed in. xsmugx

Eaglesrus
August 3rd, 2013, 10:21 PM

I'm "happy"

Well, Erk is in fact retired and won't be coaching again (please, I'm a GA Southern guy, certainly no disrespect intended!). Be that as it may, I think that overlooking the App State 3-peat was the more egregious mistake.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
If he's responding to emails kindly and is going to fix it I don't know that a mountain should be made out of it.

I mean it's sort of offensive to us because we see it as a big deal and it is, but it might not be something to light the town on fire over. xlolx

People make mistakes, it was a lazy effort for whatever reason but I'll bet he'll take those sort of things more seriously next time if he's got this group of maniacs beating on him about it.

It's a shame it came off as bad as it did. Hope he can fix it up and put some shine on it. He needs an account here so he can verify aspects of the article cuz even in a regular post if a mistake is made you just as well duck and cover cuz your time in the barrel is gonna suck.

ya bastards.xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
Well, Erk is in fact retired and won't be coaching again (please, I'm a GA Southern guy, certainly no disrespect intended!). Be that as it may, I think that overlooking the App State 3-peat was the more egregious mistake.

Agreed, the Erk thing came off bad but the App oversight is pretty big.

Thundar
August 3rd, 2013, 10:34 PM
I guess my beef is they never seem to forget things when it comes to negative sports stories, but something positive to interest people they totally screw the goat on ( sorry didnt mean to get the Montana guys horned up:p) and to top it off all he had to do was go back to April to read their own damn story on Jerry Moore to know the facts

sad, I'm ashamed

Bisonoline
August 3rd, 2013, 10:51 PM
If he's responding to emails kindly and is going to fix it I don't know that a mountain should be made out of it.

I mean it's sort of offensive to us because we see it as a big deal and it is, but it might not be something to light the town on fire over. xlolx

People make mistakes, it was a lazy effort for whatever reason but I'll bet he'll take those sort of things more seriously next time if he's got this group of maniacs beating on him about it.

It's a shame it came off as bad as it did. Hope he can fix it up and put some shine on it. He needs an account here so he can verify aspects of the article cuz even in a regular post if a mistake is made you just as well duck and cover cuz your time in the barrel is gonna suck.

ya bastards.xlolx

Yeah but the guy is a schmuck and a hack. He deserves all they crap coming his way.

dgtw
August 3rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
I'm guessing he ran across the Russell quote and threw it in without realizing the man had died. Not sure how he missed App's run since he obviously had to look up the Wikipedia article on the FCS and skimmed the list of champions, I guess he just overlooked them or else had an old FCS media guide printed before then and used it as his source.

But if the guy apologized, then that's good. Hopefully, everyone who wrote him was polite in pointing out his error.

Southern Bison
August 3rd, 2013, 11:47 PM
This puts into perspective about how inaccurate the mainstream media really is...the way they went after Travis Beck for his situation...Obama being a good President...etc...etc...etc...

DoWe
August 3rd, 2013, 11:52 PM
Hopefully, everyone who wrote him was polite in pointing out his error.
Yes, hopefully so. But then again, who gives a **** if they were not, other than you?

chattownmocs
August 4th, 2013, 12:13 AM
BJtheFlamer must have done his reasearch for him.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Yes, hopefully so. But then again, who gives a **** if they were not, other than you?
Am I missing something here?

Southern Bison
August 4th, 2013, 12:17 AM
BJtheFlamer must have done his reasearch for him.

Actually he just read all the bull **** that you've posted on your annual "UTC will win the NC" thread. Do us all a favor and stick to what you know best, the Vols.

Southern Bison
August 4th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Am I missing something here?

Not really...the Fargo Forum, like the Charlotte Observer is good for one thing...potty training a puppy (or SE_174).

Thundar
August 4th, 2013, 12:45 AM
This puts into perspective about how inaccurate the mainstream media really is...the way they went after Travis Beck for his situation...Obama being a good President...etc...etc...etc...

ok just asking and maybe I'm missing sarcasm or something but WTF does Obama have to do with this???

BisonFan02
August 4th, 2013, 12:52 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408098/

Schnepf: Forgetting about Appalachian State's feat was my bad

Well, that didn't take long... :)

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2013, 01:13 AM
ok just asking and maybe I'm missing sarcasm or something but WTF does Obama have to do with this???

I don't understand it either.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 4th, 2013, 01:22 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/408098/

Schnepf: Forgetting about Appalachian State's feat was my bad

Well, that didn't take long... :)

Did a nice job there so he gets a Mulligan on that one from me anyway.

Thundar
August 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM
I don't understand it either.

so I'm not the only one?

I should add the forum is a totally (R) paper

PaladinFan
August 4th, 2013, 07:04 AM
As a reader of such things, it doesn't really make a difference to me if the journalist is fresh out of school or Bob Woodward. Don't write something that purports to be factual unless you actually know that it is a fact.

I'm sure this fellow could have picked up the phone and called the SoCon office, or either of those to SIDs to get the answer on that. Heck, he could have googled it.

URMite
August 4th, 2013, 08:01 AM
To mention what the original poster said not to mention...I'm sure that in a rush he saw that ASU won the last I-AA title and the first two FCS and it didn't register as a three peat. Not that the Championship changed, it is still the NCAA Division I Championship.

CID1990
August 4th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Maybe the writer has just begun the natural and understandable process of forgetting who ASU and GSU are?

MplsBison
August 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Agreed, good on him for owning up and posting that.

Still unbelievable that he could've completely omitted App. As someone said, wouldn't you have at least looked at the wikipedia listing of FCS championship games?

SpeedkingATL
August 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Good recovery by the writer, just hard to believe he made the oversight in the first place. Comparing this years Bison to the 2007 Apps was not a bad way to go and his point that the Bison could pull off the 3peet is certainly warranted.

SUPharmacist
August 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM

I agree, however I would like to see publications doing a better job outlining the corrections. They could have put a note on the end of the original showing when the piece was updated and why.

Vitojr130
August 4th, 2013, 03:09 PM

ya bastards.xlolx

While I agree with this in regards to the internet version of the Foolum, what happens with the print versions that were already printed and sent out with this nonsense? The Foolum is the largest newspaper in North Dakota and if they sent this out in print (as this paper has a history of print first, apologize later...), half the state would be blatantly misinformed. It's upsetting that the only major newspaper in the area is only worth it's weight in toilet paper.

ThompsonThe
August 5th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Well, records are made to be broken or tied, so good luck to you this year NDSU Bison. Odds are against you, but you seem to have a fine team and have a good coaching staff also. Never heard anything but good things about both of them. Our FCS playoff days are done, but will be watching every FCS playoff and the NC game with great interest. We have some really good FCS friends, which is the hardest thing about leaving. OK rest of FCS, make sure they earn it again this year.

smallcollegefbfan
August 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM
One of the unfortunate facts of the evaporating newsrooms for many publications is the fact that editing has become even dicier than ever. Even major publications make major mistakes in stories far more frequently than they used to. It also doesn't help that many veteran journalists are being replaced by youngsters who make no effort to learn the history of the beats they are covering.

Yes that was very sad. It is happening in the NFL Draft world as well. So many of these websites popping up ran by people who are 15-23 years old and have ZERO NFL connections, don't really know what they are watching, and are really just a fan who wants to pretend they are an expert. There are about 6 or 7 websites out there that are legit. The rest are just plain bad and have people who don't know what they are doing in the NFL Draft world. I can't imagine how many bloggers, reporters, etc for schools and leagues are bad. I'm sure there is a high percentage of those who aren't qualified or knowledgeable as well.

smallcollegefbfan
August 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Good recovery by the writer, just hard to believe he made the oversight in the first place. Comparing this years Bison to the 2007 Apps was not a bad way to go and his point that the Bison could pull off the 3peet is certainly warranted.

They have a good shot. I really thought in 2011 they won the title a year early. Last year was the team I expected to do it but when they did pull it off in 2011 I was skeptical. I think after showing they can win two that with the talent they have a third is very possible. The big question for them will be who the shutdown corner, quarterback, and left tackle will be in 2014 for the four-peat.

underdawg
August 5th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Yes that was very sad. It is happening in the NFL Draft world as well. So many of these websites popping up ran by people who are 15-23 years old and have ZERO NFL connections, don't really know what they are watching, and are really just a fan who wants to pretend they are an expert. There are about 6 or 7 websites out there that are legit. The rest are just plain bad and have people who don't know what they are doing in the NFL Draft world. I can't imagine how many bloggers, reporters, etc for schools and leagues are bad. I'm sure there is a high percentage of those who aren't qualified or knowledgeable as well. THE END (after 48 chapters in this soap opera)xlolx

Nova09
August 6th, 2013, 09:39 AM
So...does Pat Riley still collect royalties every time someone uses the term "three-peat"?