PDA

View Full Version : The Long Goodbye

Gringer1
August 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
On a normal off season, I would have been dropping by this forum on a daily basis. Reading up on the competition, checking out various stadium projects, and even indulging in a few of Chattown's troll posts. This year though, I have avoided AGS as much as possible. It causes considerable pain in my chest to know that this will be the last season my team is in the FCS. Although the chase to compete in the FBS is exciting and new, I will miss the pursuit of a national title. It feels so strange to be on the verge of a new season and have no expectations for a nerve wracking playoff run. 2013 will be a very different kind of year for me. An entire year of savoring old memories and releasing the ones that will never be.

For the next several years, my team will not be in a postseason of any kind. While I will miss the runs through the playoffs, I will miss the interaction with fellow FCS fans just as much. This is a special kind of subdivision we have here and I will miss it. The cries of "wait until next year!" "We're a young team!" and "we're building for the future!" are the chants every fan fears. For the next several years, these mantras will form the bulk of my fan base's hopes. The thrill of week to week progression towards a championship will be replaced with the year to year pursuit of bleacher additions and budget increases. While there is nothing wrong with the latter, it is a much less enthusing endeavor than weekly glory on the field.

2013 will be an odd year, but isn't every year? It's the quirks and twists of a season that make each one memorable. For me, this year will be one of reflection. I might not post as often or with as much fervor, but I will continue to follow the events of the FCS for many years to come. For now, there is one whole season to say goodbye to the glory of the past. It is a long time to mull over such emotions, but the good times my program and I have enjoyed here deserve nothing less. Here's to all of you and your teams this year. And to all of the glory that was once and will be again in this division.

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Wish you and your program the best!!!

I've said it many times that I don't enjoy one bit that GSU and App State are leaving. I personally feel that we will all be on the same playing field in the near future! Keep on relishing and grinding to make your program better!

ST_Lawson
August 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
The Eagles 2013 Farewell Tour
Someone could probably do a cool variation on this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4c/Eaglesfarewell.jpg/438px-Eaglesfarewell.jpg) for a t-shirt or something.

MR. CHICKEN
August 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
The Eagles 2013 Farewell Tour
Someone could probably do a cool variation on this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4c/Eaglesfarewell.jpg/438px-Eaglesfarewell.jpg) for a t-shirt or something.

17962.....IRVING AZOFF.......WOOD BE ALL OVERAH YA'S........LIKE HEAGLE....ON DUH...TRIPLE-O...............xshhhx.....BRAWK!

OL FU
August 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Nice post.

I will miss the Eagles.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
Nice post.

I will miss the Eagles.

Seconded.

344Johnson
August 2nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
17962.....IRVING AZOFF.......WOOD BE ALL OVERAH YA'S........LIKE HEAGLE....ON DUH...TRIPLE-O...............xshhhx.....BRAWK!

You sir, are truly dedicated to your craft.

Anyone know if Mr. Chicken has posted in regular vernacular?

Vitojr130
August 2nd, 2013, 04:37 PM
On a normal off season, I would have been dropping by this forum on a daily basis. Reading up on the competition, checking out various stadium projects, and even indulging in a few of Chattown's troll posts. This year though, I have avoided AGS as much as possible. It causes considerable pain in my chest to know that this will be the last season my team is in the FCS. Although the chase to compete in the FBS is exciting and new, I will miss the pursuit of a national title. It feels so strange to be on the verge of a new season and have no expectations for a nerve wracking playoff run. 2013 will be a very different kind of year for me. An entire year of savoring old memories and releasing the ones that will never be.

For the next several years, my team will not be in a postseason of any kind. While I will miss the runs through the playoffs, I will miss the interaction with fellow FCS fans just as much. This is a special kind of subdivision we have here and I will miss it. The cries of "wait until next year!" "We're a young team!" and "we're building for the future!" are the chants every fan fears. For the next several years, these mantras will form the bulk of my fan base's hopes. The thrill of week to week progression towards a championship will be replaced with the year to year pursuit of bleacher additions and budget increases. While there is nothing wrong with the latter, it is a much less enthusing endeavor than weekly glory on the field.

2013 will be an odd year, but isn't every year? It's the quirks and twists of a season that make each one memorable. For me, this year will be one of reflection. I might not post as often or with as much fervor, but I will continue to follow the events of the FCS for many years to come. For now, there is one whole season to say goodbye to the glory of the past. It is a long time to mull over such emotions, but the good times my program and I have enjoyed here deserve nothing less. Here's to all of you and your teams this year. And to all of the glory that was once and will be again in this division.

Good luck to GSU in the FBS! Kick ass and take names so that the FCS can get a little more respect. Then, tell your AD to schedule more GSU/NDSU games. We need some more FBS wins xlolx. Anyway, I really do hope GSU and ASU kick some serious butt at the next level. Prove that we aren't all like Georgia State.

ngineer
August 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM

Best of luck to you guys. I am really sorry to see GSU and ASU leave the FCS family. Doesn't mean you have to a stranger around here, though, but certainly understood that following the Eagles won't be the same. Always wanted to have a game with you guys. Maybe in three more years, once we are 'full scholly' in the PL sense, we'll be able to make a visit for a "money game"! (;-)

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2013, 04:49 PM
You sir, are truly dedicated to your craft.

Anyone know if Mr. Chicken has posted in regular vernacular?

One time if I remember correctly. I believe the reply was "really?" and it may have been a response to MPLS. xlolx

dbackjon
August 2nd, 2013, 04:51 PM
Interesting thread title...

Wiki on the classic movie, "The Long Goodbye"

The Long Goodbye has been described as "a study of a moral and decent man cast adrift in a selfish, self-obsessed society where lives can be thrown away without a backward glance ... and any notions of friendship and loyalty are meaningless."

darell1976
August 2nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
To bad we couldn't have had a shot at playing GSU but maybe we can meet in the future either a FBS-FCS game or a (2nd tier new subdivision game). Good luck in the FBS and hopefully you guys can become the next Boise State!!

Cleets
August 2nd, 2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here,
It will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Note:
As strange as FCS is going to be without GSU and APP
Everyone can be replaced
in a very short amount of time other teams will be battling for the Title

and Like so many others before... GSU and APP will be hardly mentioned

dbackjon
August 2nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here,
It will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Note:
As strange as FCS is going to be without GSU and APP
Everyone can be replaced
in a very short amount of time other teams will be battling for the Title

and Like so many others before... GSU and APP will be hardly mentioned

You mean no one really mentions Marshall, Western Kentucky or Idaho?

Wait, you are right!

Cleets
August 2nd, 2013, 05:01 PM
You mean no one really mentions Marshall, Western Kentucky or Idaho?

Wait, you are right!

Who..?