PDA

View Full Version : Former Lehigh stud WR Ryan Spadola stars in NY Jets Training camp

World
August 2nd, 2013, 12:29 AM
http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2013/08/01/wr-ryan-spadola-makes-a-dream-catch/

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/01/jets-camp-report-81/

see "Day 6" Video:
http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/Mark_Sanchez_The_Best_Guy_Will_Win/8ed46603-553e-453c-853a-f4797bf2bd57

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Keyword: Training camp

Keyword 2: New York Jets

Come back in September.

Twentysix
August 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
Just keep him away from twitter or he may cost them a playoff game xthumbsupx

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
If he has Sanchez throwing to him, then I feel bad for him.

Or he could just hover around Sanchez and wait for the fumble to occur and pick that baby up and run!

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 09:24 AM

Or he could just hover around Sanchez and wait for the fumble to occur and pick that baby up and run!

Bad idea... Spadola would be the butt of the fumble.

IBleedYellow
August 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Bad idea... Spadola would be the butt of the fumble.

I look forward to Fridays on ESPN just so I can watch that play on the worst of the worst for the 100th time.

They could probably make that a designed play and have Spadola be there waiting for the bounce off a lineman's butt?

Hmmm.

NoDak 4 Ever
Just keep him away from twitter or he may cost them looking ok in a playoff game xthumbsupx

FIFY

Twentysix
FIFY

Ok come on, it's their thread. You have to at least humor them xsmugx

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Just keep him away from twitter or he may cost them a chance to actually score in a playoff game against an opponent that their archrival actually scored on xthumbsupx

Edited it further too... :D

NoDak 4 Ever
August 2nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Edited it further too... :D

http://djriskone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/oh-snap.jpg

Hammerhead
August 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
I heard the Eagles might be looking for a wideout to replace Riley Cooper. xlolx

Seriously though, I always like seeing someone from an FCS school or even the occasional D-II school listed in the starting lineups of most NFL games.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
You can't equate Riley Cooper's 15 minutes of infamy to Ryan's tweet. And Ryan's no racist.

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
You can't equate Riley Cooper's 15 minutes of infamy to Ryan's tweet. And Ryan's no racist.

Right, he is simply a Lehigh grad.

crusader11
August 2nd, 2013, 09:50 AM
Doesn't Lehigh pretty much let any prospective football player into the college who submits an application?

Twentysix
August 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Doesn't Lehigh pretty much let any prospective football player into the college who submits an application?

You should probably politifact whatever reply you get.

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 09:58 AM

No, Lehigh admission standards are very stringent. They do not admit anyone who has career aspirations above mowing carney 2's lawns or working at the bus station.

RichH2
August 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Wow, the snarks and wannabes are out in force today.You guys want this thread well have at it.

World
August 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
How are those Lafayette football players doing in NFL Fall Camps this year?

oh wait......

there aren't any

oops!

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
How are those Lafayette football players doing in NFL Fall Camps this year?

oh wait......

there aren't any

oops!

I'm sure okay, but we are waiting for the real season to start. Blake Constanzo is in his second year of a $2mm contract with the Chicago Bears and may possibly snag his first Pro-Bowl bid after coming oh-so-close the past three seasons.

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/6a0115709f071f970b0154382daf34970c.jpe

Thanks for playing. Please try again soon.

PS we need a spike the football emoticon for this site...

World
August 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
and yet another long TD reception, for former Lehigh star Ryan Spadola:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Green--White-2-TD-Strikes-for-Greg-McElroy/d1796a4b-7f1f-4cf3-80d0-a3239aa2034a

RichH2
August 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Nice article NY Post today,calling Ryan the next Chrebet.

Fordham
August 4th, 2013, 10:27 AM
That's awesome. Gotta love it and hope he keeps doing well.

Would be a fun story to follow if the Jets were back on Hard Knocks again this year although I'm pleased that they're with the Bengals now that Skelton is battling for a QB spot with them.

World
August 4th, 2013, 01:56 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/next_chrebet_spadola_making_early_ciqNZtgcszXkT8UF zzE6YJ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=MoreSports

‘Next Chrebet’ Spadola making early splash in camp

By MARK HALE
Last Updated: 2:41 AM, August 4, 2013
Posted: 1:46 AM, August 4, 2013

CORTLAND — Plenty of people tell undrafted Ryan Spadola that he reminds them of another famous Jets wideout.

“Everyone always brings up that story. Everyone always kind of says, ‘You’re the next Wayne Chrebet,’ ” Spadola said last night. “But that’s a great receiver.”

Spadola is nowhere near Chrebet at this point in his career, but the upstart rookie continued his impressive camp last night. The 22-year-old out of Lehigh caught the first touchdown in the Green and White scrimmage, making a terrific catch in the end zone to beat cornerback Eric Crocker on Greg McElroy’s 48-yard heave down the sideline.

The similarities in the early career paths of Chrebet and Spadola are striking. Both were undrafted wide receivers and both have strong local ties — Chrebet grew up in Garfield, N.J. and went to Hofstra. Spadola is from Howell, N.J. and used to come to Jets games with his father when he was growing up.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Spadola has dazzled early in camp. He made a diving, finger-tip catch on a long Geno Smith pass in practice a couple of days ago.

Spadola also has opened the coaching staff’s eyes with his quick aptitude.

Fellow undrafted wideout Vidal Hazelton also caught a touchdown pass last night, so Spadola might have to beat him out for a roster spot.

Despite opening others’ eyes, Spadola said he can play much better.

“I don’t think I’ve done too much,” he said. “I don’t think I’ve proved myself to the best of my abilities yet. So there’s more to come in the future.”

As a free agent, Spadola said the top teams he spoke to were the Giants, Colts, Dolphins, Buccaneers and Ravens. He selected the Jets because he had the chance to meet coach Rex Ryan, wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal and the front office during a regional workout.

“I just felt a good vibe from the beginning, from what they stood for, what they were looking to accomplish this year,” he said. “Then there was an added incentive being close to home, which is always nice.”

Spadola also probably knew this was one of his best opportunities to make an NFL roster, considering the Jets’ lack of proven talent at wide receiver.

Early on, Spadola is making the most of his chance and is making some fans think of another scrappy receiver.

“To kind of be put in that same category [as Chrebet] is once again very humbling,” he said. “But I’m just looking to continue to work hard every day and try to better myself to get to that level like he was.”

[email protected]

Pard4Life
August 4th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Wow, he looked great in that scrimmage. My neighbor also told me this weekend that I reminded him of Steve Young throwing crisp and accurate passes to my relatives in my backyard this weekend.

xblahx xcoffeex xblahx xblahx

I also think we should start a thread for every FCS player attending an NFL camp. xsmileyclapx xsalutex

Lehigh'98
August 4th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Wow, he looked great in that scrimmage. My neighbor also told me this weekend that I reminded him of Steve Young throwing crisp and accurate passes to my relatives in my backyard this weekend.

xblahx xcoffeex xblahx xblahx

I also think we should start a thread for every FCS player attending an NFL camp. xsmileyclapx xsalutex

Classy!!

RichH2
August 4th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Dont expect P4L to be classy ever when it concerns anything positive for LU. Just jealous. Not much to root for over in Easton of late. Only game in Pardville is watching their best players get thrown off the team and leave the school.

CFBfan
August 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Classy!!

and we can also start a thread for every FCS player suspended, thrown off their team and/or quiter......who in the PL would be leading that one????

World
August 5th, 2013, 10:05 AM
and we can also start a thread for every FCS player suspended, thrown off their team and/or quiter......who in the PL would be leading that one????

Lafayette

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Well when your coach has rules equating martial law and if you don't say "God bless you" after sneezing you run 20 laps, then yes you will have "discipline" issues.

I'd be more concerned about your ship and the lack of accountability and class. The tone comes directly from the top there.

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Dont expect P4L to be classy ever when it concerns anything positive for LU. Just jealous. Not much to root for over in Easton of late. Only game in Pardville is watching their best players get thrown off the team and leave the school.

We already have a player in the NFL. And one of the most respected at what he does. You?

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 11:01 AM
There is also some irony in discussing class and tact with Spadola being the subject... :)

RichH2
August 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Too far P4L, he retweeted another's tweet. He didn't get arrested and thrown off team and leave school. Have a little perspective, even as you despise us. No one from LU mocked Pard joy with Blake

CFBfan
August 5th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Well when your coach has rules equating martial law and if you don't say "God bless you" after sneezing you run 20 laps, then yes you will have "discipline" issues.

I'd be more concerned about your ship and the lack of accountability and class. The tone comes directly from the top there.

1. that's krap about frank 2. what's "my ship"?? you don't even know!!!

CFBfan
August 5th, 2013, 12:18 PM
We already have a player in the NFL. And one of the most respected at what he does. You?

wow!!!! what a comeback!!!! impressive

NoDak 4 Ever
August 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM

http://memecrunch.com/meme/5FH/not-sure-if-serious-fry/image.png

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM
1. that's krap about frank 2. what's "my ship"?? you don't even know!!!

From what we have been able to deduce, you sound like a Lehigh guy... and Lehigh has not acquired the name "taunters" for no reason...

CFBfan
August 5th, 2013, 02:54 PM
From what we have been able to deduce, you sound like a Lehigh guy... and Lehigh has not acquired the name "taunters" for no reason...

Not sure who "we" is but absolutely NOT a LU fan!

RichH2
August 5th, 2013, 04:58 PM
CFB he is posting gibberish now. The only taunter here is P4L,

CFBfan
August 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks Rich!

Engineer86
August 5th, 2013, 05:05 PM

You really are digging deep here. I am sure you have read his anti-Lehigh posts, but you are so deep into P-Envy that you race right by that. For someone who at times makes sense, you are way over the top with the bashing of a kid that broke no laws.

RichH2
August 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM
You really are digging deep here. I am sure you have read his anti-Lehigh posts, but you are so deep into P-Envy that you race right by that. For someone who at times makes sense, you are way over the top with the bashing of a kid that broke no laws.

+1

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM

I forgot to tell you the truth.. can't quite figure out CFB's school... what school are you CFB? I just put anyone who makes positive or defensive Lehigh comments on a list xrulesx

Bashing? Not quite... broke now laws... I know he didn't, just like everyone from Lafayette has broken no laws, or kind of... the stupid smokin' in the dorm room incident in 2011 in full view of the RA.. if you want to be technical. But, I've seen Lehigh football players high... along with 70% of all college campuses at some point over four years.

RichH2
August 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM
And deeper he goes. The question why the vendetta vs Spadola? Snarking on a kids success . Bash school ,rivalry et al but taking shots at him really over the line. Did you see any of us jump on Smith . We didn't til you started this bull.

Ivytalk
August 5th, 2013, 08:18 PM

I just knew the first Sanchez joke would come in the first 5 posts on this thread!:D

Kramer
August 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM
seriously, P4L, you're coming across like a real jerk.

heath
August 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM
And deeper he goes. The question why the vendetta vs Spadola? Snarking on a kids success . Bash school ,rivalry et al but taking shots at him really over the line. Did you see any of us jump on Smith . We didn't til you started this bull.

Lafayette pusses have penis envy when it comes to to Lehigh.(at everything,not just football) Its the same 2-3 puss posters that are fed up and disappointed with their team,that they try to spread their misery around to the rest. Nerd liberals will tend to do these things Rich,so ignore them and just continue to beat the $h*t out of them and ENJOY the excuses.If you can't win on the field,bring your pathetic wit to AGS?xconfusedx

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Lafayette pusses have penis envy when it comes to to Lehigh.(at everything,not just football) Its the same 2-3 puss posters that are fed up and disappointed with their team,that they try to spread their misery around to the rest. Nerd liberals will tend to do these things Rich,so ignore them and just continue to beat the $h*t out of them and ENJOY the excuses.If you can't win on the field,bring your pathetic wit to AGS?xconfusedx

Liberal arts does not equal liberal... geez... LC is much more conservative then LU... and our primary donor supports Hillsdale College.

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Look, I'm simply annoyed that Lehigh people go ga-ga over Spadola. It has been well documented around AGS and the other fans have noticed it too. Solid player, but really, save the news for when he makes an NFL roster or has a big preseason game. Stars in training camp = practice all-star.

RichH2
August 5th, 2013, 09:48 PM
A real low ,guy. Annoyed at someone else's happiness is childish. Pathetic. Well, you are a successful troll taking a rather innocent thread and turning into a drivel fest by you.

Pard4Life
August 5th, 2013, 10:57 PM
And, this is being interpretered as something it's not.

The end.

RichH2
August 5th, 2013, 11:05 PM
P4L it s not what you intended to say that is the issue but rather what you did say. And no we didn't all misinterpret what you posted. If you intended something else , you failed to express it clearly.

World
August 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM
http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/06/jets-rb-mcknight-arrested-holmes-says-hell-miss-four-weeks-more-jets-news/

Here is some news out of Jets training camp:

Wide Receivers:

The Jets wide receivers struggled as a group during offseason and mini-camp practices, especially with dropped passes. It seems now the group is collectively performing much better during training camp.

The emergence of Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates and undrafted rookie Ryan Spadola has been a pleasant surprise. Also include Jeremy Kerley, the Jets leading receiver from last year, veteran Braylon Edwards and young Vidal Hazelton, attempting to make the roster, a position once of great concern is easing some.

Southsider
August 6th, 2013, 11:03 AM
And, this is being interpretered as something it's not.

The end.

Is that a promise?

World
August 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/rex_stays_quiet_on_mcknight_s0kNL5w5oPZaBSUhfgUz8O

* Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg praised rookie WR Ryan Spadola, an undrafted free agent out of Lehigh. He said Spadola has a chance to make the team, but stressed he has to impress on special teams. ...

Catatonic
August 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Gates played at Abilene Christian fwiw.

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/06/jets-rb-mcknight-arrested-holmes-says-hell-miss-four-weeks-more-jets-news/

Here is some news out of Jets training camp:

Wide Receivers:

The Jets wide receivers struggled as a group during offseason and mini-camp practices, especially with dropped passes. It seems now the group is collectively performing much better during training camp.

The emergence of Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates and undrafted rookie Ryan Spadola has been a pleasant surprise. Also include Jeremy Kerley, the Jets leading receiver from last year, veteran Braylon Edwards and young Vidal Hazelton, attempting to make the roster, a position once of great concern is easing some.

Catatonic
August 7th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Jets release first Depth chart. Fans note the slight (see reader comments).
http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/8/5/4592030/new-york-jets-release-depth-chart#comments

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2013/08/01/wr-ryan-spadola-makes-a-dream-catch/

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/01/jets-camp-report-81/

see "Day 6" Video:
http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/Mark_Sanchez_The_Best_Guy_Will_Win/8ed46603-553e-453c-853a-f4797bf2bd57

Lehigh'98
August 7th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Jets release first Depth chart. Fans note the slight (see reader comments).
http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/8/5/4592030/new-york-jets-release-depth-chart#comments

Damn, that's lots of chatter about Spadola. He has definitely raised some eyebrows.

ngineer
August 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Though I've always hated the Jets, I will have try and catch their preseason game....when?

RichH2
August 7th, 2013, 10:27 PM
1st one on Friday nite CBS

World
August 8th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Spadola's chances of making the Jets team just increased significantly

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/07/new-york-jets-release-wide-reciever-vidal-hazelton/

Unfortunately partly due to another player getting injured

May Hazelton recover quickly

World
August 16th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Spadola continues in the mix:

http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/16/jets-to-watch-vs-jaguars/

5. Wide Receivers: Santonio Holmes is still out, Braylon Edwards probably shouldn’t be going 100% in the preseason and tight end Kellen Winslow had a baby this week, so the question remains…which young wide receiver is going to step up? Jeremy Kerley is a great fit for this offense and we know what he can do, so there isn’t much to watch there. Stephen Hill needs to prove that he can hold on to the football, we all know he is fast enough and big enough. Clyde Gates had a strong training camp so he is a player to watch. Ryan Spadalo the kid from Lehigh is someone to keep an eye. All the young wide outs will have a chance to make a name for themselves.

cmaxwellgsu
August 17th, 2013, 12:31 AM
I know very little of Spadola, other than the twitter controversy and him being a real talent. That said, he plays for the team who employs he who shall not be named. So, my inner Eagle says I hate this bastard!!!!!!!xlolx

SingForever
August 17th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Just keep him away from twitter or he may cost them a playoff game xthumbsupx

GO TO HELL IGNORAMOUS

SingForever
August 17th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Oh WE WILL BE BACK!
Keyword: Training camp

Keyword 2: New York Jets

Come back in September.

SingForever
August 17th, 2013, 01:56 PM
You are a real jerk When I first saw Ryan as a sophomore I knew he had the potential to make it in the NFL, as I did with Miles Austin of Monmouth, now with the Dallas Cowboys. You apparently have no ability to recognize real football talent when you see it (AND WHEN YOUR TEAM GETS THOROUGHLY BURNED BY IT)!

heath
August 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM
You are a real jerk When I first saw Ryan as a sophomore I knew he had the potential to make it in the NFL, as I did with Miles Austin of Monmouth, now with the Dallas Cowboys. You apparently have no ability to recognize real football talent when you see it (AND WHEN YOUR TEAM GETS THOROUGHLY BURNED BY IT)!

Are you back? Is this The Fan?xdontknowx

NoDak 4 Ever
August 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM

We couldn't ever be that lucky. With the chattown thread that would be the perfect storm of dumb.

Drblankstare
August 17th, 2013, 11:39 PM

God I hope so. I really want to ask him how those lawsuits turned out :)

World
August 18th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Spadola leads Jets in receiving in win over Jaguars:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330817020

RichH2
August 18th, 2013, 07:14 AM
The Fan....wow , please God ,I hope not. Mpls and this new guy ae more than enuf. Fan should only be mentioned in whispers,while spraying disinfectant

NoDak 4 Ever
August 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM
God I hope so. I really want to ask him how those lawsuits turned out :)

He's probably too busy teaching "Message Board Contract Law" somewhere.

World
August 18th, 2013, 03:46 PM
New Jersey native Ryan Spadola tries to work his way onto Jets roster

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20130818/NJSPORTS031003/308180031/New-Jersey-native-Ryan-Spadola-tries-work-his-way-onto-Jets-roster

SingForever
August 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Are you back? Is this The Fan?xdontknowx The Fan?? Why would you deduce that, All I did was relate my experience with assessing two players. I don't have a clue asd to who the Fan is nor do I give a damn. GET A LIFE,

Lehigh Football Nation
August 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
The Fan?? Why would you deduce that, All I did was relate my experience with assessing two players. I don't have a clue asd to who the Fan is nor do I give a damn. GET A LIFE,

Love the sig BTW. Towson turned that off very quickly after the game ended and I never got that scoreboard shot.

andy7171
August 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Is he still on the roster? This has to be hard for him holding in the N word for so long!

UNH Fanboi
August 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Is he still on the roster? This has to be hard for him holding in the N word for so long!

Lol

ngineer
August 23rd, 2013, 11:00 PM
He's definitely holding onto the passes...

RichH2
August 23rd, 2013, 11:08 PM
Ignore them , n ,just jerks w stale jokes.

Engineer86
August 24th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Ignore them , n ,just jerks w stale jokes.

Of course it comes from Andy, he still can't get of losing on his own field to a lowly PL team

World
August 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/21/thoughts-from-jetscamp-0821/

Thoughts From #JetsCamp 08/21

by Phil Sullivan on August 21, 2013

Braylon Edwards didn’t practice and Rex Ryan indicated he wasn’t worried about that. The plan all along has been to limit Braylon in the preseason. If there is one young player to be really excited about it is Ryan Spadola from Lehigh. He has size, speed and seems to catch everything thrown his way. The Jets seem to have made a very smart UDFA move with the Spadola signing. The NJ native is having an incredible camp and barring injury seems to be a lock to be part of the final roster.

World
August 24th, 2013, 12:22 PM
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Jets-Giants-Fine-Time-to-Show-What-Were-About/15096398-91cc-4499-896d-a5286c89c3bb

Jets-Giants: Fine Time to Show What We're About

Posted 20 hours ago

"Who Better to Play Against?"

Rookie free agent WR Ryan Spadola is ready to unleash a good-sized cheering section in the stadium for this Giants home game. He said he was never "truly a diehard fan" of either team growing up in Howell, N.J., near the Jersey shore, although his father used to take him to Jets games more often than not.

"There's a big divide between diehard Jets fans and diehard Giants fans," Spadola said. "This week I've got a bunch of my friends and family coming up, and obviously they'll be rooting for their teams. But they'll all be cheering for me at the same time. For them it's a big game to come and watch, and being a Jersey guy, it's an honor to be a part of that rivalry."

Spadola can be a big part of it. He's got four receptions for 59 yards in the first two preseason games and is on the coaches' radar. "Keep your eye on him," coordinator Marty Mornhinweg advised. "He's had a good camp."

AmsterBison
August 24th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Good luck to Ryan. Wish he had been able to play against my team. That still bugs me.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Good luck to Ryan. Wish he had been able to play against my team. That still bugs me.

This. It let the Lehigh folks off the hook with an excuse.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2013, 02:01 PM
This. It let the Lehigh folks off the hook with an excuse.

Lum to Spadola was the best QB/WR combo since Santos and Ball. NDSU was the better team but it certainly would have made it more interesting. Not the type of distraction that a team wants to deal with during the playoffs.

World
August 24th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Lum to Spadola was the best QB/WR combo since Santos and Ball. NDSU was the better team but it certainly would have made it more interesting. Not the type of distraction that a team wants to deal with during the playoffs.

Lehigh would have won the game with Spadola in

bjtheflamesfan
August 24th, 2013, 02:47 PM
MAn some of you guys have the maturity level of 10 year olds at recess

crusader11
August 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Lehigh would have won the game with Spadola in

The Fan, that you?

RichH2
August 24th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Son of a gun.Yeah Ryan would have made a difference as would have Barket. So what.xbawlingx Let be concerned with today rather than rehashing history.It wont change.Honest. Me I'm gonna root for my Jints and Ryan. Helps that I'm schizophrenicxlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 24th, 2013, 10:47 PM
You could make a case Ryan pulled out the game for the Jets tonight - caught the go-ahead TD in the 4th, then set up the game-winning FG with a 70 yard reception in OT.

3 catches, 110 yards, TD. Led everyone.

RichH2
August 24th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Spectacular game for Ryan .As NFL commentator said he is a gamer

World
August 25th, 2013, 02:24 AM
http://www.jetnation.com/2013/08/25/rex-on-the-win-over-the-giants/

Rex On The Win Over The Giants

Rex did admit that the Jets have to correct a lot of things. But he was happy that some players stepped up.

I think there were some guys that really stepped up. Obviously, Ryan (Spadola), Spicoli as we call him, he stepped up, had a big day.

World
August 25th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Video of Spadola TD catch:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/QB-Matt-Sims-TD-to-WR-Ryan-Spadola/47afaef1-e9cf-4487-a3ca-823489b1df4b

World
August 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Video of Spadola 70 yard Reception:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/Matt_Sims_Completes_70yd_Pass_to_Ryan_Spadola/a482063a-2664-4551-bbb0-4fd3ef865680

World
August 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/Obomanu-Spadola-Keep-the-Catches-Coming/9b122ce3-1ac3-44a9-85ff-6a5128c924e0

Obomanu, Spadola Keep the Catches Coming

Posted 44 minutes ago

Charlie Frankel Reporter

On Friday, wide receiver Santonio Holmes was moved from the PUP list to the Active Roster. The addition of the Super Bowl XLIII MVP, however, means one less roster spot for another receiver, making the preseason performance of all other Jets hopefuls even that much more important.

Veteran Ben Obomanu and undrafted rookie free agent Ryan Spadola are two wideouts scratching and clawing their way up the depth chart, each with high hopes of becoming one of 53. We signed both receivers in May, with Obomanu coming off of seven NFL seasons with the Seattle Seahawks and Spadola coming from four seasons at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa.

“The preseason’s about getting opportunities,” Obomanu said, “and not just getting them, but utilizing them, too.”

So far, both men have certainly taken advantage of their chances. After each put up a strong performance in Saturday night’s MetLife Bowl victory over the Giants, they are tied for the team lead with seven receptions. With three preseason games down and one to go, Ryan’s 169 receiving yards and Ben’s 115 make them one and two on the team.

Obomanu often talks about not just being in the game but making an impact on the game, and he’s 2-for-3 thus far in the preseason. His four receptions for 59 yards were game highs in the Week 1 loss to Detroit, and after not having one pass targeted for him against the Jaguars, the veteran WR bounced back Saturday with three receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown.

Following a three-and-out and David Wilson's 84-yard touchdown run, the Jets were down, 7-0, with just over one minute off of the game clock. But QB Geno Smith and the offense bounced back with an eight-play, 86-yard drive, capped with a 22-yard touchdown pass to Obomanu. He caught the ball on the 15-yard line, turned and sprinted toward the goal line, lowering his shoulder into a Giants defender before crossing the plane for the score.

“It’s one of those things where you kind of assume that somebody should be close,” he said. “The first thing you do is catch the ball and then it's kind of should you go left? Should you go right? Should you go straight? Once I realized I was wide open, I just saw the end zone and tried to go for it.”

With each stride, he scanned the field and ultimately made a split-second decision to try to make contact with the Giants’ defender right at the goal line.

“You don’t want to get that close and get tackled on the one and bring in the goal line package. So you always want to score," he said. "I saw the end zone, tried to lower my shoulder and just hoped that if they did hit me, they hit me into the end zone.”

Whereas Obomanu’s biggest impact on the game came early, Spadola emerged as one of the heroes later in the night.

Trailing by four points with 2:12 left in regulation, QB Matt Simms fired a bullet into the middle of the end zone and connected with Spadola for a 22-yarder as the Jets took a 21-18 lead.

“The touchdown was basically a post-to-corner, kind of a rub route,” the rookie explained. “The corner collapsed and Matt was able to find me in the second window there. He put the ball in a great spot and I was able to make the play on it, which was really fortunate.”

“Technically I wasn’t really supposed to throw that, but Ryan did a great job catching in the back window like that,” Simms said. “That was one of those things, it was either going to be a great throw or a really bad decision. So I’m happy it worked out well.”

After the Giants kicked a field goal to force overtime, the Jets needed to keep the offense coming.

Spadola talked with WRs coach Sanjay Lal on the sideline about a play that could be called. Lal told him to be patient with the route, and sell the out before planting his foot and bursting across the field.

“I did exactly that,” he said, and it worked for 70 yards, helping to set up Billy Cundiff’s game-winning field goal. “Matt did a very good job of putting the ball in a spot where I was able to make a play with it and I said whatever I had left in the tank, run down the field as fast as I could and get us in field goal range.”

As a Howell, N.J., native, Spadola was excited to play in front of a plethora of family and friends who turned out to support the rookie at MetLife Stadium.

“Every time I looked up I heard my name being shouted from a different direction,” he said. “Wherever I was looking, I felt like I saw a face that I recognized. It was really nice to see.”

With just one more preseason game remaining, Obomanu and Spadola will continue to fight, and hope, for their chance to continue contributing when the regular season commences.

“I think I'm heading in the right direction, finding ways to make plays, which is needed in this offense,” Spadola said, “and I'm just trying to do whatever I can when my number's called.”

World
August 25th, 2013, 01:20 PM
New York Jets’ Matt Simms on Ryan Spadola

http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/25/new-york-jets-matt-simms-on-ryan-spadola/

RichH2
August 25th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks World for the work. Enjoyable articles and video

Engineer86
August 25th, 2013, 03:51 PM
The one low light was the pass that the defender took out of his hands, but when I saw it the second time the pass was poor and behind Ryan. Overall a great game for him. Lets hope the roster numbers work out for him with the Jets since he is from NJ, but if they do not, I would think he has done enough to fit with someone.

hebmskebm
August 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM
The one low light was the pass that the defender took out of his hands, but when I saw it the second time the pass was poor and behind Ryan. Overall a great game for him. Lets hope the roster numbers work out for him with the Jets since he is from NJ, but if they do not, I would think he has done enough to fit with someone.

If they carry 6 WR's he's a lock. If they carry 5, it'd be a coin toss between him and Ben Obamanu for the last spot.

World
August 25th, 2013, 09:20 PM

agree

my first thought when that play occurred was: Oh no....that is it for Spadola and his hopes of making the team. But upon further review, it was not a good pass. Then he came up with the plays at the end of the game that helped him very much.

ngineer
August 25th, 2013, 11:00 PM
He's shown he can play in the NFL. Just a question of numbers and openings. If not NYJ, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else show interest. It's also a long season, so even if he doesn't make the '53', he may likely be with the 'taxi' squad or be ready in the wings when the injuries start popping up.

World
August 26th, 2013, 02:25 AM
What the Jets Learned From a Costly Preseason Contest

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324591204579035232581515314.html

Ryan Spadola should make the 53-man roster. An undrafted wide receiver from Lehigh University, via Howell, N.J., Spadola has had a strong training camp, getting snaps with the first-team offense and catching five passes for 110 yards and a touchdown Saturday. Given that Santonio Holmes, coming off a Lisfranc injury in his foot, hasn't played in close to a year and the Jets aren't all that deep at the position anyway, they will likely need to keep an extra receiver or two. Spadola would fit the bill.

World
August 26th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Thanks World for the work. Enjoyable articles and video

No problem

Just love it when the underdogs do good....

Lehigh Football Nation
August 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Cutdown day. Jets release 4 receivers, none named Spadola. The Jets also cut loose WR Braylon Edwards, in a separate move. Ryan's chance to make the Jets just shot up dramatically, IMO.

CFBfan
August 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I would say that he just secured a roster spot.....

UNH Fanboi
August 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I would say that he just secured a roster spot.....

I wouldn't go that far. They still have 9 WRs on their roster from what i can tell and 23 more cuts to make. Even with a great camp and preseason performance, making the 53 man as an undrafted rookie is inredibly difficult. He's got a good shot though.

World
August 26th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't go that far. They still have 9 WRs on their roster from what i can tell and 23 more cuts to make. Even with a great camp and preseason performance, making the 53 man as an undrafted rookie is inredibly difficult. He's got a good shot though.

Actually, Spadola will eventually move up to starting WR by the middle of the season.

Why?

There is a plan

All other Jet receivers will be invited to Lehigh Frat parties next few weeks and most will need a week or two to get the alcohol out of their system, thereby diminishing their on-field performance

http://www.unigo.com/articles/no_last_call/

ha!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Rex Ryan singled out Spadola in his press conference today.

CHIP72
August 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Spadola could also make the Jets' practice squad. If he does that, another team could sign him off the practice squad.

I think at a minimum Ryan Spadola will be on some team's practice squad this year, and could be on a team's active roster.

World
August 26th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Rex Ryan singled out Spadola in his press conference today.

Unbelievable!

Coach Ryan spends the first two minutes of the Monday press conference praising Spadola:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/826-Rex-Mark-Day-to-Day-Focus-on-Best-Roster/c27b4607-4ce9-4c77-ba71-d28fe4d30429

World
August 27th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Spadola moves to 3rd String WR on Jets Depth Chart:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth-chart.html

World
August 27th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Rookie Ryan Spadola a highlight for struggling Jets

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/rookie-ryan-spadola-a-highlight-for-struggling-jets-1.5961545

PAllen
August 27th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Spadola moves to 3rd String WR on Jets Depth Chart:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/depth-chart.html

Which is where he needs to be to make the team.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM
The interesting thing there is that Obamanu is still ahead of Ryan, 2nd team.

hebmskebm
August 27th, 2013, 04:07 PM
The interesting thing there is that Obamanu is still ahead of Ryan, 2nd team.

Obamanu is having a good preseason, caught Geno's TD pass before all the picks (yes, the Jets have players having good preseasons, and their record is actually 2-1 in those meaningless games :D). He will more than likely make the team as a WR5/6/Special Teamer. As I said before, I think the Jets will carry 6 WR's on the 53-man and Spadola will be one of them.

ngineer
August 27th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Special Teams performance will be key at this point. He's clearly shown he belongs as WR.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Just finished this piece on the linkage between Wayne Chrebet, Dave Cecchini, and Ryan Spadola. Pretty proud of this one.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/08/wayne-chrebet-and-ryan-spadola-two.html

ngineer
August 28th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Just finished this piece on the linkage between Wayne Chrebet, Dave Cecchini, and Ryan Spadola. Pretty proud of this one.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/08/wayne-chrebet-and-ryan-spadola-two.html

Nice article! Going back for quotes from ol' Hank Small, too!

Bogus Megapardus
August 28th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I wish Ryan Spadola the the very best of luck. I still think he looks a lot like Doug Neidermeyer, though. Just wondering - it that just a Lehigh thing, or what?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3831/ye2o.png

Bill
August 29th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Nicely done, Bogie. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

RichH2
August 29th, 2013, 10:54 AM
LOL, funny. I look forward to a photoshop bonanza this season

The Maestro
August 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I wish Ryan Spadola the the very best of luck. I still think he looks a lot like Doug Neidermeyer, though. Just wondering - it that just a Lehigh thing, or what?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3831/ye2o.png

Flash forward 35 years and here's what young Ryan has to look forward to; I do agree he bears an uncanny resemblance to a young me (Bob Cobb).
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120204121509/seinfeld/images/1/14/Bobcobb.jpg

andy7171
August 29th, 2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AbeALNVkk

CFBfan
August 29th, 2013, 12:20 PM
VERY STUPID post!!!!!

RichH2
August 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Wow Andy when did you start channeling "The Fan" . Ugh

crusader11
August 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Wow Andy when did you start channeling "The Fan" . Ugh

The Fan's back, just posting under a different user name.

andy7171
August 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
The Fan's back, just posting under a different user name.

All you guys have to do is stop responding and I'll stop. :)

RichH2
August 29th, 2013, 01:47 PM
So, Andy just a troll now.A shame he used to be interesting.

andy7171
August 29th, 2013, 01:52 PM
So, Andy just a troll now.A shame he used to be interesting.

:(

RichH2
August 29th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Ryan OK couple of catches then a very bad fumble, cost Jets a score

RichH2
August 29th, 2013, 07:50 PM
great catch by Ryan in tight coverage ball thrown behind him.

UNH Fanboi
August 30th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Espn and the main Jets fan site are predicting that Spadola makes the cut. Deadline is 9 pm Saturday.

RichH2
August 30th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Per twitter, Ryan officially on Jets roster

SingForever
August 31st, 2013, 10:56 AM
Per twitter, Ryan officially on Jets roster

RYAN SPADOLA making the Jets roster makes me very proud to know Ryan Spadola. His hard work has paid off. I predicted that he would make the NFL two years ago, and now his dream has come true.

World
August 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
Spadola makes 53 man Jets roster:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Jets-Move-22-Get-Down-to-53-Man-Active-Roster/0e4010de-3ce3-4e94-b5f8-13a17c710ba0

ngineer
August 31st, 2013, 11:32 PM
Great accomplishment for Ryan. He really focused and worked his butt off for it and made the most of opportunities that arose. Hopefully, the start of a productive career ala Steve Kreider and beyond.

World
September 1st, 2013, 02:21 AM
Had no idea about the father:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/08/seven_years_after_his_fathers_suicide_changed_his_ life_jets_receiver_ryan_spadola_realizes_their_nfl .html

makes his accomplishments even more amazing

Engineer86
October 5th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Spadola cut

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

sgt smash
October 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Damn

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Why? Thought he might get some playing time this week with the injuries the Jets have...Weird.

Engineer86
October 5th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Why? Thought he might get some playing time this week with the injuries the Jets have...Weird.

I think they had cut other receivers last week too. He played well enough in the pre-season to get a chance with someone else. But I am sure at that level there are many that good.

hawkineer
October 5th, 2013, 03:51 PM

It's the Jets. When is the last time anything they've done makes sense?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I could not have been more stunned by this. Nobody I was with today could believe it.

RichH2
October 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Wow, really thought he impressed preseason. Cant figure it out. Well, I dont have to watch them anymore.

ngineer
October 5th, 2013, 09:42 PM
maybe the 'Iggles' will give him a shot. Their WR corps, after Jackson, is not very impressive.

World
October 6th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Spadola cut

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

Well, no reason to watch the Jets play any more

low lifes

SingForever
October 7th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Wow, really thought he impressed preseason. Cant figure it out. Well, I dont have to watch them anymore.
Ditto

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
According to Gang Green Nation Spadola cleared waivers and can be resigned to the Jets practice squad

ngineer
October 8th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Reported that Spadola has been signed by the Dolphins.