PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Dick Kazmaier

bulldog10jw
August 1st, 2013, 10:19 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/02/sports/ncaafootball/dick-kazmaier-a-heisman-winner-who-passed-on-the-nfl-dies-at-82.html?hp

The 3rd, and last, Ivy League recipient of the Heisman

ngineer
August 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
A real great one. Nice statue of him in Jadwin Gym.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2013, 11:05 PM
RIP. Always admired this guy.

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2013, 12:23 AM
I had the privilege of seeing him speak and meeting him personally. He was a fine man who was invariably modest about his accomplishments, giving credit to others, whether in sports or business. A class act all the way. Condolences to his family. College Football has lost a great one.

bonarae
August 2nd, 2013, 02:05 AM
RIP. Trivia: How many Heisman winners (including Berwanger) skipped the NFL? I don't have the time to research or Google it... xchinscratchx

Ivytalk
August 2nd, 2013, 05:13 AM
He was my father-in-law's classmate. RIP.

kdinva
August 2nd, 2013, 09:11 AM
RIP. Trivia: How many Heisman winners (including Berwanger) skipped the NFL?xchinscratchx

Charlie Ward.......

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
He had quite a profile and you could truly say was a role-model... passing of an era.

The trophy is also on display in the Jadwin lobby.

Go Green
August 2nd, 2013, 09:18 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/02/sports/ncaafootball/dick-kazmaier-a-heisman-winner-who-passed-on-the-nfl-dies-at-82.html?hp

The 3rd, and last, Ivy League recipient of the Heisman

Ed Marinaro came very close to being the fourth (and yeah "last").

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 09:22 AM

Yeah... 1970 or 1971... I remember some major publication did a review of the Heisman winners and evaluated whether or not the winners really should have won that year... Marinaro should have won the Heisman, they said. Believe it was SI...

Green26
August 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for posting this. Good article.

“It’s been a long time since someone recognized me as a Heisman winner,” he said. “I don’t think of it as something I did. I think of it as something we did as a group. Football is a consummate team sport. Nobody does anything of substance unless they do it with everybody else on the team. You have to have the team. The rest? It’s just hype.”

In 2008, Princeton retired his number, 42, which was also worn by Bill Bradley, the university’s basketball great.

At the time, Bradley said: “When I was 9 years old, playing pickup football in the church yard across from my house in Crystal City, Mo., I imagined that I was Heisman Trophy winner Dick Kazmaier, who played for some college I never heard of called Princeton. Other kids wanted to be Hopalong Cassady from Ohio State. I wanted to be Dick Kazmaier.”

Green26
August 2nd, 2013, 09:59 AM

Oops, double post. My bad.

Green26
August 2nd, 2013, 10:00 AM

Yes, Marinaro deserved to win the Heisman but Pat Sullivan of Auburn got it. Marinaro also led the nation in rushing his junior and senior. Led the Ivies in total offense his senior year. Was never able to beat Dartmouth, though.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Yes, Marinaro deserved to win the Heisman but Pat Sullivan of Auburn got it. Marinaro also led the nation in rushing his junior and senior. Led the Ivies in total offense his senior year. Was never able to beat Dartmouth, though.

In an FCS twist, Pat Sullivan is now head coach at Samford.

bulldog10jw
August 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM

I know that Yale held him in check his first two years, well under 100 yards in each game and won pretty easily. He did have a big game in the Bowl in '71, though. I think Dartmouth was Cornell's only loss in '71

Pard4Life
August 2nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
I thought some QB from Stanford won?

Green26
August 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
In an FCS twist, Pat Sullivan is now head coach at Samford.

And Marinaro also became a football coach, but only on Spike TV:

“Blue Mountain State” follows the on and off-field antics of college football powerhouse, Blue Mountain State. Former NFL running back and veteran actor, Ed Marinaro, stars as no-nonsense Coach Daniels. In season 3, Coach Daniels will have his authority challenged when the boosters force him to hire a hotshot offensive coordinator/head coach-in-waiting. Alex, played by Emmy Award®-winner Darin Brooks, will have to step up in season 3 from being a fun-loving second-string to the starting QB. The cast also includes Thad, played by Alan Ritchson, the team’s over-the-top team captain and Sammy, the team’s mascot, played by Romanski."

Go Green
August 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
“Blue Mountain State” follows the on and off-field antics of college football powerhouse, Blue Mountain State. Former NFL running back and veteran actor, Ed Marinaro, stars as no-nonsense Coach Daniels. In season 3, Coach Daniels will have his authority challenged when the boosters force him to hire a hotshot offensive coordinator/head coach-in-waiting. Alex, played by Emmy Award®-winner Darin Brooks, will have to step up in season 3 from being a fun-loving second-string to the starting QB. The cast also includes Thad, played by Alan Ritchson, the team’s over-the-top team captain and Sammy, the team’s mascot, played by Romanski."

Never heard of this show. Is it any good?

Or am I better off sticking with "Friday Night Lights" reruns?

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
I'm still partial to "Coach" and the Minnesota State fighting-whatever-they-are.

cmaxwellgsu
August 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM

Have never seen Blue Mountain State, but Friday Night Lights has the bar set pretty high....

caribbeanhen
August 2nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks for posting this. Good article.

“It’s been a long time since someone recognized me as a Heisman winner,” he said. “I don’t think of it as something I did. I think of it as something we did as a group. Football is a consummate team sport. Nobody does anything of substance unless they do it with everybody else on the team. You have to have the team. The rest? It’s just hype.”

In 2008, Princeton retired his number, 42, which was also worn by Bill Bradley, the university’s basketball great.

At the time, Bradley said: “When I was 9 years old, playing pickup football in the church yard across from my house in Crystal City, Mo., I imagined that I was Heisman Trophy winner Dick Kazmaier, who played for some college I never heard of called Princeton. Other kids wanted to be Hopalong Cassady from Ohio State. I wanted to be Dick Kazmaier.”

I really liked this part of the story as well, how come it seems like people don't get it anymore... RIP Sir!

Go Green
August 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Friday Night Lights has the bar set pretty high....

Indeed!! xthumbsupx

Dartmouth can take some credit for that. Connie "Coach's Wife" Britton is a Dartmouth grad.

xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
RIP good sir.

UNHFootballAlum
August 2nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
He produced great lineage as well. His daughter Cathy was a great hockey goalie at UNH

Green26
August 2nd, 2013, 05:32 PM

Friday Night Lights is considerably better, and less rauchy. Blue Mountain State is trashy and not for moms, or the older crowd. However, for the younger crowd, there's some appeal for BMS. BMS is now on NetFlix, so it's getting some viewership there. I noticed my high school son watching it on NetFlix recently, so sent Ed a text saying that. Our family knows Ed fairly well. Ed, who is very funny, immediately responded. "Don't blame me. I needed the job."