PDA

View Full Version : If playoff selection is using a Simple Ratings System this season...

URMite
August 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM
...then here is a list that someone compiled last November of 617 non-FBS teams

http://www.footballperspective.com/checkdowns-fcs-ratings-and-the-fcs-playoffs/

and here are the FBS ratings that same week

http://www.footballperspective.com/week-13-college-football-srs-ratings/

As I said on another thread I have no idea if the FCS committee is going to use the same formula that the BCS used but it is a start.

Am I reading it correctly that Indiana State & Air Force had the exact same rating?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM
Man, Missouri Western got really shafted by the playoff committee... xlolx

Southern Bison
August 1st, 2013, 06:35 PM
The SOS shows that the MVFC was the toughest conference schedule when all 10 teams had positions in the top 26 when ranked by SOS. Looks like the Big Sky was 2nd and the SoCon was a close 3rd. Nice work! xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM
Here's all you need to know about the strength of schedule with the SRS. According to his numbers, and I don't doubt his calculations, Upper Iowa had a tougher schedule than JMU.

Upper Iowa didn't play a single Division I team. JMU played West Virginia, Towson, Richmond, Villanova (whose SOS was equal to Upper Iowa's), and JMU.

To be fair, Upper Iowa also had a stronger schedule, according to the numbers, than Lehigh. Oh, yeah, and UNH.

IBleedYellow
August 1st, 2013, 10:25 PM
Here's all you need to know about the strength of schedule with the SRS. According to his numbers, and I don't doubt his calculations, Upper Iowa had a tougher schedule than JMU.

Upper Iowa didn't play a single Division I team. JMU played West Virginia, Towson, Richmond, Villanova (whose SOS was equal to Upper Iowa's), and JMU.

To be fair, Upper Iowa also had a stronger schedule, according to the numbers, than Lehigh. Oh, yeah, and UNH.

So really, Lehigh DIDN'T get shafted last year, and it wasn't Colgate losing to USD that cost them the playoff spot?

It all makes sense now!!!

/sarcasm

Southern Bison
August 1st, 2013, 11:04 PM
So really, Lehigh DIDN'T get shafted last year, and it wasn't Colgate losing to USD that cost them the playoff spot?

It all makes sense now!!!

/sarcasm

I'm picking up on some envy from LFN's post...xeyebrowx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 1st, 2013, 11:09 PM
What makes little sense is the playoff committee putting too much stock in the SRS if it spits out Upper Iowa having a higher SOS than JMU. Even if you don't hate Lehigh with laser-hot intensity you have to admit something's wrong there.