PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Conference to Expand: But Where?

FlyYtown
September 12th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Pete Mollica, the YSU Beat Writer for the Youngstown Vindicator wrote an article on YSU's trip to Penn State this Saturday. He then goes on to talk about the the 2007 Non-Conference schedule in which Ohio State and I-AA Non-Schollie Stoneybrook are the only ones locked in (NO MORE D2!!!!)

The part he said which caught my eye is this line:
Strollo said that the Gateway Conference is looking very seriously into expansion in the near future, but it will be very selective. "It would be nice [to expand] and it certainly would help out our scheduling problems," Strollo said.

So I-AA People: Who will be the next team into the Gateway?
To Read the Article: YOUNGSTOWN VINDICATOR SPORTS (http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/377335646653240.php)

galojay
September 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Expanding or replacing? Hmmm

Dakota schools make sense. GFC has 8 now, minus WKU potentially, down to 7. Add Dakota schools, up to 9, where they need to be.

igo4uni
September 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
The Dakota schools seem to fit the bill.

Hansel
September 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
The Dakota schools seem to fit the bill.
I would think UNI and WIU would be for the Dakota Schools...

igo4uni
September 12th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I would think UNI and WIU would be for the Dakota Schools...

Missouri State, too??

Golden Eagle
September 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Notre Dame.

DFW HOYA
September 12th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Call up Drake.

Tod
September 12th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Notre Dame.

What about that other, rather impressive ND school, North Dakota?

Hansel
September 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM
never heard of em :p

SO ILLmatic
September 12th, 2006, 11:00 PM
My vote is for Wisconsin - La Crosse. This way SDSU would get snubbed by them twice in one year.

m_olslund - NDSU
September 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM
SDSU and NDSU

Bison77
September 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM

It's not a done deal with und moving up. Their president isn't 100% behind the move and he named two conditions for the move.

1. Money - It's being reported on siouxsports that they're 850,000.00 in the red NOW.

2. Conference

But who knows. :cool:

DetroitFlyer
September 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM
The Gateway Conference would be a nice fit for a Dayton, I-AA, scholarship football program. The A10 does not work real well due to travel, ( mainly east ), but the Gateway would not be too bad. The commish, Patty V. knows us quite well also. Now, I just have to convince UD to "just do it". Maybe if the Gateway came calling.... And just to be clear, Stony Brook can now provide up to 30 full scholarships for football. Frankly, I'm bummed that YSU locked up Stony Brook and not Dayton for their Division II replacement game....

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM
It would be great to be back in the same conference as UNI. The Gateway is a great conference across the board.

pcola
September 13th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Put UND's name in the hat for the Gateway. After last weekend I don't think there is anyway that President Kupchella could ever say no to the Division I question.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that an NDSU poster with a hockey reference in his signature line??

Only 18 more days until the puck drops at the Ralph!!!

nmatsen
September 13th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Call up Drake.

We don't need another Indiana State.

RabidRabbit
September 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
The two _DSU's are not that far out of the footprint of the existing Gateway. Both schools are playing tough, and will soon be eligible for the play-offs. And as Mid-Con members, help WIU in all sports.

UND, has all the transition issues ahead of them, but would be extremely happy to be invited to the Gateway.

EIU - Been there before, why not again?

The two schools most mentioned as wanting to move to FBS are Youngstown and WKU, with WKU seeming to have the most incentive as they are Sunbelt for most sports already.

If just WKU moves, 2 schools added to get to 9 football teams gives a 4 home 4 away conference schedule, and if move to a 12 game schedule 4 OOC games. That could work VERY well. Having 10 or 12 schools for football could work as demonstrated by the SEC, ACC, etc., just don't play all the schools each year.

Should Youngstown move out, could readily shift the Gateway west. Although, I know that Youngstown and SDSU have played several times in the past (70's for certain).

I still think, that if the focus continues on the Dakotas, that there continue a dialog about combining the GWFC & Gateway. This would be a conference that would likely put 3-4 schools in the play-offs each year.

ccd494
September 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Pete Mollica, the YSU Beat Writer for the Youngstown Vindicator wrote an article on YSU's trip to Penn State this Saturday. He then goes on to talk about the the 2007 Non-Conference schedule in which Ohio State and I-AA Non-Schollie Stoneybrook are the only ones locked in (NO MORE D2!!!!)

a.) Stony Brook. no "e". Two words.

b.) They offer scholarships.

NoCoDanny
September 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Temple

ysubigred
September 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Well "IF" the NCAA would enforce their attendance rules the GFC could pick up half the MAC schools that should be 1AA. Akron, Kent, Bowling Green etc....... and we could have the GFC East and West xlolx :hurray:

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM
1) Indiana (PA) out of the PSAC (D-II).
2) EIU
3) An outside shot at... Duquesne

GoGuins
September 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
The Gateway Conference would be a nice fit for a Dayton, I-AA, scholarship football program. The A10 does not work real well due to travel, ( mainly east ), but the Gateway would not be too bad. The commish, Patty V. knows us quite well also. Now, I just have to convince UD to "just do it". Maybe if the Gateway came calling.... And just to be clear, Stony Brook can now provide up to 30 full scholarships for football. Frankly, I'm bummed that YSU locked up Stony Brook and not Dayton for their Division II replacement game....

Our AD tried to get Dayton but your AD said no. That's what I've heard.

89Hen
September 13th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Any and all Dakotas. Then the Big Sky needs to pick up the rest of the GWFC for football. Easy.

Cap'n Cat
September 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Man, some of you guys are just nuckin' futs.

Duquesne? IUP? UW-LaCrossse?

Jesus..............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/images/300/headache_man2.jpg
"Flippin' Duquesne, the guy says........Lord, almighty."

Note: If you live east of Youngstown, don't respond to threads about the Gateway, please.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

ysubigred
September 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Jesus..............

Note: If you live east of Youngstown, don't respond to threads about the Gateway, please.

Hey Cappy!! It would be nice to get a few teams in the GFC that YSU can't bus to. East of Indy State any how. ****z man!!! You UNI guys just load up in your pick up trucks and head out on the road to the majority of your away games :flagged:

OL FU
September 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Jesus..............

Since Columbus Ohio is due north of Greenville South Carolina, why don't you give ETSU a call:nod: :p

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM
[i][b][size=3]"Flippin' Duquesne, the guy says........Lord, almighty."

On a completely unrelated side note, I cannot stop laughing at this, mostly because "headache man" looks uncannily like Mr. Rogers here.

Didn't he go to Duquesne?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

BisonBacker
September 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I could easily see these two in the Gateway. There is no football program in North or South Dakota that can compare to NDSU's winning tradition and the support by either the University or the fans for the program. Plus NDSU and SDSU will be through the transition most likely by the time the Gateway is looking to expand. A win win for the gateway and for both XDSU's:hurray:

Polywog
September 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I sure hope that NDSU and SDSU do not go to the Gateway. That would be the kiss of deat for the Great West conference.

SO ILLmatic
September 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Jesus..............

Capn you may be the one considered nuts if you really thought I was serious about UW-LaCrosse. I was just trying to bust some balls of the SDSU fans and their team's lost to UW-L.

da_bears
September 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I would want Wichita state and Drake so they could form a Missouri Valley football conference- and kick out WIU and YSU because they suck at basketball.

GoGuins
September 13th, 2006, 01:19 PM
and kick out WIU and YSU because they suck at basketball.

You got that right :nod:

DUPFLFan
September 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Call up Drake.

Not while Maxwell is the president...: smh :

DUPFLFan
September 13th, 2006, 01:34 PM
We don't need another Indiana State.

Like you don't need another North Dakota...xlolx

MplsBison
September 13th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I would want Wichita state and Drake so they could form a Missouri Valley football conference- and kick out WIU and YSU because they suck at basketball.

And the Great West would appriciate that very much.

We'd be there to collect WIU and who knows, maybe snag EIU from the OVC after EKU goes DI-A to match WKU.

Hello GWFC autobid 2010!

BearsCountry
September 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The Dakota schools bring them on. Plus they have the "right names".

JALMOND
September 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
When NDSU and SDSU were talking about going to the Big Sky, I said at that time they were a better fit for the Gateway, both geographically and culturally. With the Dakota schools butted up against Minnesota as they are, the Gateway would be in roughly the same territory as the Big 10.

Speaking of the Big 10, could the Gateway make a run at getting Northwestern?

89Hen
September 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Speaking of the Big 10, could the Gateway make a run at getting Northwestern?
The Big 10 might not mind losing them, but NU would go kicking and screaming, as would any BCS school (Baylor, Wake, Vandy...).

FlyYtown
September 13th, 2006, 03:37 PM
You got that right :nod:

First off, Our Basketball Program is going to take a huge step forward this year. I truly believe this is the first year YSU will make a run at the Horizon Title. They have the talent, they have coach; now they need to put 2 and 2 together and create a winning program.

Also many of you think of me as a jackass; please don't. I am a dedicated fan; but I hate to see people rip on our program. Don't take many of the comments on here I say that serious.

If you want to see me as a true fan. Read my blog: www.ysufootball.wordpress.com

Go Penguins... Beat PSU.
Although it won't happen!!!!

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I'd like to see NDSU and SDSU now, and then later get rid of YSU and add ND. Drop YSU for no reason but it being the longest travel. Then drop In St and add Dayton. Man, this is fun.

MplsBison
September 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM
YSU would go to the MAC in a heartbeat if they were invited.

I'm sure the MAC would love to dump both Temple and Buffalo eventually. Not sure if there's room in the MAC for both YSU and WKU. Probably only YSU.

They need to fix their stadium, though. The most lopsided stadium on the face of the earth. Seriously, the field is tilted toward the home side because of the size disparity.

galojay
September 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM
YSU is not going to the MAC. The last thing the MAC needs is ANOTHER Ohio school!

ISUMatt
September 13th, 2006, 09:07 PM
DOnt worry all the talk at Redbirdfan.com has the Big XII letting Illinois State walk right into the mix....Think Im kidding, go there and read for yourself! The fans are convinced

FlyYtown
September 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM
YSU is not going to the MAC. The last thing the MAC needs is ANOTHER Ohio school!

If offered, we'd go without a doubt in my mind. We already compete with so many MAC schools in every sport on the map except Football....

Now Akron-Kent wanna play us, nope.. Will not happen until they come here....

If the MAC wants attendance to go up. get YSU.

SO ILLmatic
September 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM
What the MAC really needs another team to even out the divisions. With Temple coming next season, it makes for uneven 7 & 6 team divisions (unless they are kicking Buffalo out at the end of season. Hey, they might as well). Imo if the Y-town administration publically expressed their intent to move up, Im sure the MAC would love to have them.

Like FlyYtown said the addition of YSU would actually improve attendance figures. But the MAC may want to look into changing the conference name: something like the OAC (Ohio Athletic Conference) would work. Why not? The majority of the teams are from the state.

galojay
September 13th, 2006, 10:27 PM
When a conference expands, they are looking at footprint and potential TV sets to improve their media package. Youngstown doesn't expand footprint or add a new media market.

And WKU is not going to the MAC either, just for the record.

Mr. C
September 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM
As has been discussed on here before, Youngstown State was all set to go I-A in football and make the move to the MAC for all sports with Marshall in 1997 (the announcement for MAC expansion was in the spring of 1996). But when the MAC made its expansion annoucement, it stunned everyone by choosing Buffalo instead of Youngstown State (what a dumb move in retrospect that was). The main reasons were the MAC was wanting the Buffalo media market for exposure and the league was concerned with the quality of YSU's other sports. At that time, Jim Tressel was AD and football coach and was funneling as much into the football program as possible to the detriment of the overall sports program. A number of newspapers were reporting that YSU and Marshall would be brought into the MAC (including mine, which had received some faulty information from sources). We were shocked when the Penguins didn't get in.

It looks very apparant that Western Kentucky will bid the Gateway adieu, so I would think bring some combination of North Dakota State, South Dakota State and North Dakota in would be the preferable option. For a football league, you really can't do better than having nine teams and playing a four and four schedule between home and away. The Big Sky missed their chance at the Dakota schools.

Yes, it would mean the end of the Great West as we know it, but how about a new Great West forming out of California schools, Cal Poly, UC Davis, add Sacramento State and San Diego, keep Southern Utah and add University of the Pacific (UOP) when the Tigers reinstate football. You would likely end up with South Dakota State and possibly South Dakota in the long run for a nice eight-team league.

Mr. C
September 13th, 2006, 10:44 PM
What the MAC really needs another team to even out the divisions. With Temple coming next season, it makes for uneven 7 & 6 team divisions (unless they are kicking Buffalo out at the end of season. Hey, they might as well). Imo if the Y-town administration publically expressed their intent to move up, Im sure the MAC would love to have them.

Like FlyYtown said the addition of YSU would actually improve attendance figures. But the MAC may want to look into changing the conference name: something like the OAC (Ohio Athletic Conference) would work. Why not? The majority of the teams are from the state.
Why would you change the name of a fairly well-known conference to something new? That would be really be dumb.

JMU Duke Dog
September 13th, 2006, 10:45 PM
As has been discussed on here before, Youngstown State was all set to go I-A in football and make the move to the MAC for all sports with Marshall in 1997 (the announcement for MAC expansion was in the spring of 1996). But when the MAC made its expansion annoucement, it stunned everyone by choosing Buffalo instead of Youngstown State (what a dumb move in retrospect that was). The main reasons were the MAC was wanting the Buffalo media market for exposure and the league was concerned with the quality of YSU's other sports. At that time, Jim Tressel was AD and football coach and was funneling as much into the football program as possible to the detriment of the overall sports program. A number of newspapers were reporting that YSU and Marshall would be brought into the MAC (including mine, which had received some faulty information from sources). We were shocked when the Penguins didn't get in.

It looks very apparant that Western Kentucky will bid the Gateway adieu, so I would think bring some combination of North Dakota State, South Dakota State and North Dakota in would be the preferable option. For a football league, you really can't do better than having nine teams and playing a four and four schedule between home and away. The Big Sky missed their chance at the Dakota schools.

Yes, it would mean the end of the Great West as we know it, but how about a new Great West forming out of California schools, Cal Poly, UC Davis, add Sacramento State and San Diego, keep Southern Utah and add University of the Pacific (UOP) when the Tigers reinstate football. You would likely end up with South Dakota State and possibly South Dakota in the long run for a nice eight-team league.

Is there a chance of this being reality in the near future?

shakdaddy3
September 13th, 2006, 11:02 PM
DOnt worry all the talk at Redbirdfan.com has the Big XII letting Illinois State walk right into the mix....Think Im kidding, go there and read for yourself! The fans are convinced

don't forget it's going to happen by 2010... mark it on your calendars ladies and gents: ISU in the BIG XII in 2010. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mr. C
September 13th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Is there a chance of this being reality in the near future?
I've heard there is some serious talk about UOP reestablishing football within the next two or three years. They have the facility and they had a long, storied tradition for football, too. Stockton is one of the fastest growing communities in California and there would be a lot of reasons for this to succeed. I used to enjoy the Fresno State-UOP rivalry (their campus is located only two hours away from ours) and would love to see the Tigers get those those black and orange uniforms out of moth balls. It was a major league STUPID move to drop football to begin with. Their situation is similar to East Tennessee State's, only with a major amount of tradition thrown in.

MplsBison
September 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Bah, I'd still rather see the Great West autobid.

Let Wichita State and Drake field scholarship teams and start MVC football.

birdsflyhigh
September 14th, 2006, 12:57 AM
ISUMatt, it's funny I visit redbirdfan.com all the time, and I haven't noticed "all the talk" from the fans about Illinois State just walking into the Big12. Hmmm? Yes, there are some posters there that are a bit delusional and don't realize that we'll have to transition our way into top conference once ISU goes I-A.

Matt, it just seems like you're painting most of ISU's football fans as being total idiots. I am sure that most Bird fans would not appreciate you coming onto AGS and misrepresenting us (ISU fans) as all being of the same mindset.

There was another snide comment about the Birds right away jumping into the Big12 in 2010. What's up with you guys? :bang:

crunifan
September 14th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I think the best thing would be to make the Gateway as similar to the MVC as possible. I think we should help jumpstart Wichita State football and then we can all try and get Drake up to scholarship level and then we are good to go!

I don't think we want to attempt Creighton, Bradley, or god forbid Evansville football.

Keeper
September 14th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Just a total uninformed opinion here,
but my feeling is that the Gateway would
like nearer programs like EastKy & EastIll.
They would get better travel attendance
and better fill the eastern half of the league
where there is more population (compared to Dakota).
Travel budgets will be a big-time serious
issue in the near future.

Are the Hilltops waiting for the new Fla
schools to show success/revenue before
their jump up?

Could the Gateway have their eyes on some
MAC fall-outs if the NCAA actually gets tough
re the attendance policy?

The options appear to be there, but obviously
depends on WKU decision first.

lucchesicourt
September 14th, 2006, 06:04 AM
The only 1AA scholie schools are UC Davis, Cal Poly, and Sac State. USD will probably NEVER offer schollies because of Title lX. The football team would have too many schollies, and there is absolutely no way to fund women's sports equally at USD.

galojay
September 14th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Just a total uninformed opinion here,
but my feeling is that the Gateway would
like nearer programs like EastKy & EastIll.
They would get better travel attendance
and better fill the eastern half of the league
where there is more population (compared to Dakota).
Travel budgets will be a big-time serious
issue in the near future.

Are the Hilltops waiting for the new Fla
schools to show success/revenue before
their jump up?

Could the Gateway have their eyes on some
MAC fall-outs if the NCAA actually gets tough
re the attendance policy?

The options appear to be there, but obviously
depends on WKU decision first.

Eastern IL and Eastern KY are already in a I-AA conference. I doubt they could pull their football out of the OVC and remain in the OVC for all other sports. That wouldn't go over so well with OVC membership. Usually you are required to play everysport that you sponsor in your conference if you conference sponsors it. So those schools likely have to play in the OVC as long as they are in the OVC.

As for WKU. The University President is having several forums over the next two weeks to discuss the prospect of moving to I-A in football. I went to one yesterday. Their will be a vote on November 2 by the Board of Regents. So WKU isn't waiting on anyone... they are just reviewing the option and making a decision on what is best for WKU.

MplsBison
September 14th, 2006, 08:06 AM
The only 1AA scholie schools are UC Davis, Cal Poly, and Sac State. USD will probably NEVER offer schollies because of Title lX. The football team would have too many schollies, and there is absolutely no way to fund women's sports equally at USD.

It'd be tough for any private DI school that is currently complient with title IX to add football without slashing a ton of men's funding/sports.

Is there any chance for a UC or CSU school to add football?

89Hen
September 14th, 2006, 08:11 AM
bring some combination of North Dakota State, South Dakota State and North Dakota in would be the preferable option. For a football league, you really can't do better than having nine teams and playing a four and four schedule between home and away. The Big Sky missed their chance at the Dakota schools.

Agreed on everything in the first paragraph. The Dakotas are a natural fit for football and it would still allow them to do what they want for other sports. And yes, nine is the optimum number in I-AA where we don't have conference championship games.

On the GWFC front, that's an interesting proposal. But I think the easier solution is for the BSC to bring in UC-D, CP and SUU for football only. Yes, that takes them beyond the 9 figure and puts them where the A10 is, but it's really not that bad. Banking on SD to step up or UOP to start back up is a tough way for the GWFC to go. Furthermore, that would mean even a longer wait for CP and UC-D to have a chance at an auto bid. Do you think they'd really want to do that?

MplsBison
September 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Actually, if you have 9 conference members you'll have 1 member playing a non conference game every week.

NC games are hard to come by later in the season.

So 10 is probably a better number.

REALBird
September 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM
ISUMatt, it's funny I visit redbirdfan.com all the time, and I haven't noticed "all the talk" from the fans about Illinois State just walking into the Big12. Hmmm? Yes, there are some posters there that are a bit delusional and don't realize that we'll have to transition our way into top conference once ISU goes I-A.

Matt, it just seems like you're painting most of ISU's football fans as being total idiots. I am sure that most Bird fans would not appreciate you coming onto AGS and misrepresenting us (ISU fans) as all being of the same mindset.

There was another snide comment about the Birds right away jumping into the Big12 in 2010. What's up with you guys? :bang:

birdsflyhigh,

I'm with you, although there are some fans who clamor to move to 1-A (and I'm one of them) not EVERY fan is saying we're going to the Big XII in 2010. I think this notion comes from an article that was written back in 2001 or something that mentioned the possibility of the Big XII expanding further East into Illinois, and Illinois State was the obvious choice based on enrollment, academic standards, and that P word POTENTIAL because we're about 2 hours from Indianapolis, Chicago, and St. Louis.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Illinois State is going to renovate Hancock Stadium to get 24,000 people for a 1-AA game, that's a waste of money. I have no doubt that ISU's AD's want football to drive this train, but the key question will be WHICH conference is going to be the best fit.

Currently there's no room in the Big XII (unless rumors of the split start to gain legs). There's a slot available in the Big Ten, but we'd still have to increase our academic standards.....and let's face it we'd have the smallest stadium in the conference. Not likely to happen there either. So realistically, the only options available might be the MAC, C-USA, or Sun-Belt. The Sun-Belt is a travel nightmare. C-USA might not be around once Memphis finally decides to bolt to the Big East, and the MAC has too many teams already on the bubble for not meeting attendance requirements.

While it's not pretty the MAC might be our best bet, and that's not saying a lot. But whatever decision is made.....it will be made with the basketball program in mind. Football may be driving the train right now, but we're still a basketball school.

NoCoDanny
September 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure how Memphis leaving C-USA would cause it's downfall, aren't there like 14 other schools to carry the torch?

REALBird
September 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure how Memphis leaving C-USA would cause it's downfall, aren't there like 14 other schools to carry the torch?

C-USA is comprised of: East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Marshall, Rice, SMU, Southern Mississipi, Tulane, UAB, Central Florida, and UTEP.

Once Villanova joins the Big East in football you'll have 9 teams. Not sure if the Big East can get back to the requisite 12 that will give them a championship game again, but adding Memphis only strengthens their basketball conference, and would give them 10 football teams to divide into an East/West conference.

East: Pittsburgh, UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, West Virginia
West: Louisville, Cinncinati, Memphis, USF (all former C-USA),& Rutgers

Central Florida? Marshall? SMU? UTEP? Tulane? No thanks....while it would still be better or comparable to the MAC, it's not much different. Just a bunch of directional and big city colleges.

89Hen
September 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Actually, if you have 9 conference members you'll have 1 member playing a non conference game every week.

I disagree. Conferences and teams have been doing fine with the odd numbers. The BSC, OVC, MEAC have 9, the Southland and PL have 7, and the Big South has 5.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Once Villanova joins the Big East in football you'll have 9 teams....

Don't make me choke on my coffee again. Villanova will never join the Big East in football (nor G'Town, for that matter). I'd say UCF joining the Big East has a better chance of happening, and that's not saying much.

VU and GU are happy right where they are in I-AA. Both cannot and don't want I-A stadiums and are happy with the level of their programs.

BearsCountry
September 14th, 2006, 10:15 AM
C-USA is comprised of: East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Marshall, Rice, SMU, Southern Mississipi, Tulane, UAB, Central Florida, and UTEP.

Once Villanova joins the Big East in football you'll have 9 teams. Not sure if the Big East can get back to the requisite 12 that will give them a championship game again, but adding Memphis only strengthens their basketball conference, and would give them 10 football teams to divide into an East/West conference.

East: Pittsburgh, UConn, Syracuse, Villanova, West Virginia
West: Louisville, Cinncinati, Memphis, USF (all former C-USA),& Rutgers

Central Florida? Marshall? SMU? UTEP? Tulane? No thanks....while it would still be better or comparable to the MAC, it's not much different. Just a bunch of directional and big city colleges.

First of all Villanova isn't going to make the jump for football. Plus you would need 12 for divisions. C-USA is a lot better than MAC, they have 6 bowl ties, have a tv contract that pays out over a million dollars a year, and is on the council with the BCS schools only non-BCS league on that. Besides for them UCF, ECU want out worse than Memphis. And talking to their fans on their board, they like Missouri State and Western Kentucky quite a bit. I know for us it would better geographically and rival wises, but I can see your point for the MAC for the Redbirds since alot of those schools you used to be in the same conference in.

dbackjon
September 14th, 2006, 10:20 AM

So 10 is probably a better number.

9 Gives you an even number of home and away conference games. 10 leaves half the teams with an advantage of an extra home conference game.

For football 9 >>>>> 10.

For other team sports, though, it sucks.

ucdtim17
September 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I don't think there's any serious talk in California from any school about bringing football back and it's completely unrealistic to expect USD to start adding schollies. UCD and CP have been indies before and will be indies again. This is fantasy world summer talk anyways - there's football to be played

CollegeSportsInfo
September 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I've heard there is some serious talk about UOP reestablishing football within the next two or three years. They have the facility and they had a long, storied tradition for football, too. Stockton is one of the fastest growing communities in California and there would be a lot of reasons for this to succeed. I used to enjoy the Fresno State-UOP rivalry (their campus is located only two hours away from ours) and would love to see the Tigers get those those black and orange uniforms out of moth balls. It was a major league STUPID move to drop football to begin with. Their situation is similar to East Tennessee State's, only with a major amount of tradition thrown in.

I remember the good ole' days with Craig Whelihan at the helm.

NoCoDanny
September 14th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I think C-USA would take LA Tech and raid the Sun Belt (North Texas or Troy State) before the Gateway .

BearsCountry
September 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I think C-USA would take LA Tech and raid the Sun Belt (North Texas or Troy State) before the Gateway .

Why take teams that already in your market or have access to? Its the same reason why Western Illinois isnt in the MVC.

JALMOND
September 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I don't think there's any serious talk in California from any school about bringing football back and it's completely unrealistic to expect USD to start adding schollies. UCD and CP have been indies before and will be indies again. This is fantasy world summer talk anyways - there's football to be played

My take is that the California state schools are all a little hesitant about football due to the situation in Northridge a few years back. One would have thought that LA could support I-AA football but it just wasn't the case. Also, the rumors I've been hearing about San Diego football is that, if the Torreros were to increase scholarships and go to any football conference, it would have to be in all sports and USD is not about to let their basketball teams leave the WCC just so their football team can play big time football.

CollegeSportsInfo
September 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Agreed. LA Tech is the most likely candidate to replace a school such as Memphis if they were ever to leave for the Big East of UTEP to the MWC. With Tulsa, Tulane, and the Texas neighbors all in CUSA, it would be a quick choice.

douglasdmb
September 14th, 2006, 01:19 PM
There hasn't been an official press release for it yet, so I'll post it under this topic. It seems pretty reliable, though.

This poster from a WKU message board posted his observations from a faculty/staff meeting regarding the jump up to I-A.

Western Kentucky will be making the jump to I-A effective next season. Contrary to what other people have said in this thread, it looks like Villanova is going to do the same.

http://www.hilltopperhaven.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7351&sid=c15cc335cb952260640bd035bf1d0338

Lemme just say that I haven't been this excited about anything since the Olsen Twins turned 18!

I will give highlights - but as I told FFTop - the best thing you can do is just show up and ask your own questions. He did and I'll admit he brought up some fine points, but I think you'll be more than pleased with the answers that Drs. Ransdell and Wood gave. We were there 90 minutes and trust me folks they have the answers before anybody asks the first question.

Please do yourself a favor and GO to these meetings!!! I will promise you this - you will be more pumped up about what's happenin on our campus than anything else you've seen or done on the Hill. Its that big!

Overview:

The ACLU is on us right now... Which is never good. They're concerned about the split in our men vs women split on schloarships. Its something we need to fix asap. Oh BTW. We're the only school that is funding MORE womens schloarhips than mens! And that has to be fixed! heheheheeh Ironically, the number we need is the same as what it would take for us to be a full fledged 1-A fully funded program.

We're keeping our rivalry with EKU - WE'RE trying to sign a 10 year home and home with them. Making us the only 1-A program that would play at a 1-aa program's site.

Frankfort LOVES the fact that we're going to be the third 1-A program in the state. Basically that takes power away from UofL and UK on their "making of all the rules"

Indiana has already contacted US!!! As has Navy for home and home series. How many times have those schools ever called us for anything?

The BCS has expanded and that filters to all 1-A programs. The revenue sharing is much fairer at the 1-A level.

There are only 2 schools that are in 1-A conferences but play at the 1-aa level. WKU and Villanova. Villanova is following the UCONN plan and planning to join the Big East. WKU joining the SBC. Currently there are 119 1-A schools and 123 1-aa schools. WKU and Nova going 1-A would even that number to 121 - 121 and the NCAA has already mentioned of capping that number at 121!

1-A schools get 1 vote each. 1-aa schools have to split 3 schools for 1 vote.

Football drives the train. (No kidding)

Ticket prices... What if they LOWERED ticket prices???!!! On top of playing better teams / players???!!! That's the senario.

Goal is to play (as I said last week) 1 "Money Game" each year. Difference is instead of getting $200,000 (since more 1-aa programs are trying to get them - the price keeps going down) - we would get closer to a million.

Schedule would look (again) something like this:

Home: EKU
Away: Alabama
Home: Navy
Away: Vandy
Home: Arkansas State
Away: FIU
Home: FAU
Away: UNT
Home: Troy
Away: ULL
Home: MTSU
Away: ULM

Bowl Game! 8-4!!!

dbackjon
September 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM
This part is wrong, so very wrong...

There are only 2 schools that are in 1-A conferences but play at the 1-aa level. WKU and Villanova. Villanova is following the UCONN plan and planning to join the Big East. WKU joining the SBC. Currently there are 119 1-A schools and 123 1-aa schools. WKU and Nova going 1-A would even that number to 121 - 121 and the NCAA has already mentioned of capping that number at 121!

From everything on this site, that is wrong on Villanova going I-A.

Second, why and how COULD the NCAA cap the numbers of I-AA or I-A programs? And there are already schools not part of that 121 I-AA number that have declared for I-AA, not too mention schools like ODU that are already D-I, but are adding football.

That portion makes the whole post questionable.

89Hen
September 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Georgetown?

dbackjon
September 14th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Georgetown?

Yup - also another I-A conference team in I-AA.

Maroons
September 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Well... well...

Can't say I'm surprised about WKU. Ransdell and Selig have it all together. When all is said and done, Ransdell may be a larger figure in school history than Cherry. I would be disappointed if EKU signs a deal to play WKU if they go I-A.... even if they agreed to come to Richmond every other year. The games are too close to spot WKU the advantage in scholarships.

Galojay... about your comment about the MAC and YSU. If you are correct, I am terribly disappointed in the MAC schools. YSU would surely add interest and fans as a regional rival. Additionally, the other Ohio state schools should lobby for them to join as they're all in the same system. Are MAC market shares really so valuable to negate these obvious advantages? Or are the other Ohio schools just glad to slap the I-AA label on Youngstown as a way to consider themselves superior?

Maroons
September 14th, 2006, 02:47 PM
About Northern...

Follow this link: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/NEWS0102/607260382/-1/all

I think NKU is planning on making home in a strong D-I Mid-Major B-Ball conference soon. This facility is quite a committment from the state. And also, I think it underscores the fact that Football is not a priority at NKU and won't be for some time.

If they start Football at NKU, I'd expect a Pioneer League team first.

NoCoDanny
September 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
They are already in the Sun Belt and with the stadium expansion they seem to have the stadium necessary. Seems to make sense to me as an outsider.

CollegeSportsInfo
September 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
This part is wrong, so very wrong...

From everything on this site, that is wrong on Villanova going I-A.

Second, why and how COULD the NCAA cap the numbers of I-AA or I-A programs? And there are already schools not part of that 121 I-AA number that have declared for I-AA, not too mention schools like ODU that are already D-I, but are adding football.

That portion makes the whole post questionable.

A agree. The Big East invited UConn, Villanova, Georgetown, etc...but that window closed and only UConn accepted.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
You forgot two of the biggest untruths of the post:

Football drives the train. (No kidding)

Ticket prices... What if they LOWERED ticket prices???!!! On top of playing better teams / players???!!! That's the senario.

1) Basketball drives the train - let nobody be fooled by this.

2) Ticket prices never go down.

I won't even get into the skanky Olsen twins reference.

Oh wait, there was another idiotic statement in his post:

The BCS has expanded and that filters to all 1-A programs. The revenue sharing is much fairer at the 1-A level.

I'm trying to find filter some truth out of this post, but golly gee, this fails the smell test in a major way.

galojay
September 14th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I was at the forum.

First, Ransdell did not say Villanova WAS going to move up to I-A. Only pointed out that WKU and Villanova were the only two I-AA's that are already members of a I-A conference. He said Villanova MAY explore going I-A.

Second, Dr. Selig did throw out, for discussion purposes, the idea of lowering ticket prices (probably during transition years) to keep people interested in the program and increase attendance. The key would be to find that threshold of where you lower ticket price but increase sales and still net the same. I'd say that is where he would try to price the tickets.

dbackjon
September 14th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I was at the forum.

First, Ransdell did not say Villanova WAS going to move up to I-A. Only pointed out that WKU and Villanova were the only two I-AA's that are already members of a I-A conference. He said Villanova MAY explore going I-A.

Second, Dr. Selig did throw out, for discussion purposes, the idea of lowering ticket prices (probably during transition years) to keep people interested in the program and increase attendance. The key would be to find that threshold of where you lower ticket price but increase sales and still net the same. I'd say that is where he would try to price the tickets.

Thanks for the clarification - but he still did forget/overlook Georgetown.

crunifan
September 14th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Why would Missouri State or Illinois State, or even SIU for that matter even consider going to I-A? The second you leave, you are no longer in the the MVC...which in my opinion is a horrible move. We are one of the the top 6-7 basketball conferences in the country, C-USA and MAC have nothing on us at the moment.

dbackjon
September 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Why would Missouri State or Illinois State, or even SIU for that matter even consider going to I-A? The second you leave, you are no longer in the the MVC...which in my opinion is a horrible move. We are one of the the top 6-7 basketball conferences in the country, C-USA and MAC have nothing on us at the moment.

Very good point. The MAC and C-USA can't come close to the MVC in Basketball, and the Sunbelt is a one-bid conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I was at the forum.

"I say we got trouble! Right here in River City!"

galojay
September 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification - but he still did forget/overlook Georgetown.

Not really. His point is WKU and Villanova are the only two schools that are alike. Georgetown plays in Patriot League which is non-scholarship football.

Technically, you are right, but I think his point was different.

BearsCountry
September 14th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Very good point. The MAC and C-USA can't come close to the MVC in Basketball, and the Sunbelt is a one-bid conference.

CUSA is close, they had one down year but they have the big name coaches and resources to turn things around.

SO ILLmatic
September 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Why would you change the name of a fairly well-known conference to something new? That would be really be dumb.

I was being facetious.

Anyway, it is a given that WKU is leaving the Gateway, college football has more influence on a university than college basketball, and the Dakota schools are probably the frontrunners for addition into the Gateway.

Now you have to think about a couple of questions: will other Gateway teams follow WKU out, how many teams could possibly leave, and when would the earliest date be for the addition of new teams?

FlyYtown
September 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM
OK. Want to clear up this thing about YSU and the MAC.

In 1997; Akron and Kent voted Buffalo over Youngstown to join the MAC. Not for media reasons like some of you and the WKU fan are saying.

The local media here have mentioned the thought of YSU joining the MAC, and even the voice of the guins has mentioned that as well.

To say YSU will never go to the MAC IS 100% Wrong. The only conf. we will go to is the MAC IF we go to I-A.

Natural Rivals:
Kent VS. Akron VS. Youngstown
Then Miami, Bowling Green, and a few Michigan schools.

I am stating what I know; WKU fan... you are wrong about YSU and the MAC.

Its not about Media Coverage; its about money.. And YSU will make more $$ than Buffalo.. THAT IS FACT.

ucdtim17
September 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM
People are obsessed with markets - it's why SJSU is still in the WAC and why others want Sac and PSU in the WAC. It's why the BSC is stuck with those two and turned down the Dakota States. People are retarted

madcow
September 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
there has actually been rumors that UC Davis, is penciled into the WAC in the future (8 years).

galojay
September 14th, 2006, 06:57 PM
OK. Want to clear up this thing about YSU and the MAC.

In 1997; Akron and Kent voted Buffalo over Youngstown to join the MAC. Not for media reasons like some of you and the WKU fan are saying.

The local media here have mentioned the thought of YSU joining the MAC, and even the voice of the guins has mentioned that as well.

To say YSU will never go to the MAC IS 100% Wrong. The only conf. we will go to is the MAC IF we go to I-A.

Natural Rivals:
Kent VS. Akron VS. Youngstown
Then Miami, Bowling Green, and a few Michigan schools.

I am stating what I know; WKU fan... you are wrong about YSU and the MAC.

Its not about Media Coverage; its about money.. And YSU will make more $$ than Buffalo.. THAT IS FACT.

So why did MAC chose Buffalo over YSU, if it wasn't media, markets, and footprint?
We can just disagree... but I don't see MAC adding YSU unless they are raided and need teams badly. If YSU was in Illinois or Indiana, you guys would be a good school for the MAC. But YSU brings no additional value to the MAC. They have Ohio pretty much saturated.

Again, we can just agree to disagree. I would be interested in what reason Buffalo was picked over YSU, if it wasn't because of markets and location.

BearsCountry
September 14th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Academics with Buffalo? They are an AAU school, that with markets is the only reason I see.

Mr. C
September 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I covered the story when Marshall and Buffalo were voted into the MAC and Youngstown State was voted down. I had phone conversations with the MAC commissioner and others that week in 1996. The reasons I was given for Buffalo's surprise entrance and YSU's snub involved the poor quality of the Penguins' overall athletic program at the time and the larger media market that Buffalo had. The academics of YSU was also something that was hinted at. These were the reasons being given at the time. If someone has other evidence to prove otherwise, please reveal it.

MplsBison
September 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM
9 Gives you an even number of home and away conference games. 10 leaves half the teams with an advantage of an extra home conference game.

Only if you play every other conference member.

You can have 10 members and only play 8 conference games, which is what every conference larger than 9 does.

The disadvantage of 10 members is you don't get to play one of the members every year.

Vs. the disadvantage of 9 members being one member will have to play non confernece every week of the season.

In my mind it's clear that the disadvantage of 9 >>>>> the disadvantage of 10.

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
The MAC vote on YSU was a DONE DEAL, according to the Commissioner's office to Tressel. There were some concerns that not all athletic facilities were on campus ( baseball) but near-by instead. Academics were never an issue. What was said AFTER the fact was a PR blitz and the furthest thing from what ACTUALLY happened. Tressel had the MAC OK expansion as part of the deal to come into the MAC with Stambaugh going to 30,500 seating and had YSU approval to expand seating.

Before the deal came down, both Akron and Kent St., both with-in an hour's drive from YSU OBJECTED because of recruiting edge to YSU, a winning program vs. them and sheer jealousy of Tressel in what he had accomplished in a short time. If they had not objected , the rest of the MAC was ready to approve YSU( every athletic office wanted YSU , except KSU & UA) and a caucus with the Commissioner would not change their minds. Rather than have bad blood inside the league, YSU was not approved to mullify Akron & Kent St. Tressel was livid because he had been lied to.

The MAC may say anything they wish as to YSU " problems"--ie, academics, facilities,etc . Internal BS envy and fear was the root of it all.

FlyYtown
September 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
The MAC vote on YSU was a DONE DEAL, according to the Commissioner's office to Tressel. There were some concerns that not all athletic facilities were on campus ( baseball) but near-by instead. Academics were never an issue. What was said AFTER the fact was a PR blitz and the furthest thing from what ACTUALLY happened. Tressel had the MAC OK expansion as part of the deal to come into the MAC with Stambaugh going to 30,500 seating and had YSU approval to expand seating.

Before the deal came down, both Akron and Kent St., both with-in an hour's drive from YSU OBJECTED because of recruiting edge to YSU, a winning program vs. them and sheer jealousy of Tressel in what he had accomplished in a short time. If they had not objected , the rest of the MAC was ready to approve YSU( every athletic office wanted YSU , except KSU & UA) and a caucus with the Commissioner would not change their minds. Rather than have bad blood inside the league, YSU was not approved to mullify Akron & Kent St. Tressel was livid because he had been lied to.

The MAC may say anything they wish as to YSU " problems"--ie, academics, facilities,etc . Internal BS envy and fear was the root of it all.

Paladin here got it all right. They can say media BS all they want; AKRON and KENT voted us down because guess who was the best in the 90s of the 3: YSU.

Guess who had the nicer stadium of the 3: YSU
Guess who had more butts in the seats: YSU

Facts are facts..... don't let people say otherwise... I know Kent and Akron boosters who told me the exact same story and they were upset by the move.

Superneck
September 14th, 2006, 10:51 PM
seeing how South Dakota State and North Dakota State have already accepted invites to align their other sports with the Mid Continent Conference, where WIU is a founding member, and WIU president Goldfarb is chair of the Mid Continent presidents council, it wouldn't surprise me if the possibility of moving their football programs into the Gateway was not also discussed over a couple of cocktails. If nothing else, their bus drivers would know how to find Macomb.....

Go Bison
September 15th, 2006, 10:49 AM
seeing how South Dakota State and North Dakota State have already accepted invites to align their other sports with the Mid Continent Conference, where WIU is a founding member, and WIU president Goldfarb is chair of the Mid Continent presidents council, it wouldn't surprise me if the possibility of moving their football programs into the Gateway was not also discussed over a couple of cocktails. If nothing else, their bus drivers would know how to find Macomb.....

I agree. The Great West conference was a good start but it needs more schools to make it in the long run. The Gateway would really help the scheduling issues that NDSU is having. Plus the autobid would be a huge advantage.

BlueRaiderPride
September 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM
C-USA is comprised of: East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Marshall, Rice, SMU, Southern Mississipi, Tulane, UAB, Central Florida, and UTEP

:cool: You left off Tulsa. If CUSA loses anybody to the Big East, they'll turn their attention toward the Sun Belt and La Tech before anyone else.

Something else you guys fail to realize about the Mid-American conference is that they have a five year football-only contract with Temple. The fact that Temple won't say one way or another that they will bring their other sports into the MAC throws that conference in limbo. Why should the MAC add a 14th member now only to have Temple turn around and leave?

The MAC wanted Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee as a package deal originally. Of course, Middle Tennessee refused to leave the Sun Belt so that just left Western Kentucky standing and then they had Temple. They entered into that contract with Temple believing that the Owls would bring their other sports later, but Temple's saying "not so fast". Because that's not guaranteed, the league presidents cannot get support for a 14th member which is why Western is not headed to the MAC now but is still headed to 1-A in the Sun Belt.

The Sun Belt is going to get better. I like our new alignment and adding Western Kentucky will definitely make us better over time. The rumors that Denver may be headed to the Big Sky are also starting to pick up steam.

FlyYtown
September 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM
FYI to all you Non-Believers.

YSU AD Ron Strollo is currently on a Local Sports Talk Show talking about YSU Athletics.

He says he'd LOVE to do all he can to get YSU into the MAC, like so many fans would like to see... Right now what is holding us back is MONEY.

Our athletic budget: $8 Million
MINIMUM MAC Budget: $13 Million... averaging $16 Million.

So what is really holding us back is the money. He says he has had talks with the MAC and would love to move up, but its the Board of Control and President's decision...

So ppppplease don't give me this media BS.... ...

MSUBear42
September 15th, 2006, 09:59 PM
MSU Will leave the Gateway in 5-10 years.

Mike Johnson
September 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Expanding or replacing? Hmmm

Dakota schools make sense. GFC has 8 now, minus WKU potentially, down to 7. Add Dakota schools, up to 9, where they need to be.

Where is Western Kentucky going?

FlyYtown
September 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
MSU Will leave the Gateway in 5-10 years.

Well if they are leaving, then where are they going?

dbackjon
September 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Where is Western Kentucky going?

I-A Sunbelt - is what the speculation is. Announcement soon.

MSUBear42
September 15th, 2006, 11:21 PM
C*USA... it's been rumored for years and years, that why we keep turning down IA and the Sun Belt to wait for an official invite from CUSA.

MissouriStateBear
September 16th, 2006, 01:07 AM
C*USA... it's been rumored for years and years, that why we keep turning down IA and the Sun Belt to wait for an official invite from CUSA.

and if we never get it?...i dont want to leave the MVC for any other of the sports (Baseball, soccer, basketball etc.) unless its to CUSA...but i have a feeling we only get an invite after they are raided..which would mean memphis is gone and probably some others and the other sports would take a big hit...so, its either D1-A in football and crappy for the other sports or stay in the MVC for all sports and stay D1-AA(which would be my choice)

AppMan
September 16th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I think App State, JMU, Delaware, Youngstown, EKU, WKU, MTSU, and UTC (great facilities and basketball program) would make a great conference.

FlyYtown
September 16th, 2006, 07:41 AM

For some odd reason I don't think that will happen.
Why? You certainly do not average 15,000 a game.
Second your stadium certainly isn't that big either to average that much more than 15,000.

You may think that, but unless your adding a 2nd side to that doubledecker, I don't see that happening...

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM
MSU to CUSA? never heard that rumor. They should shake up the I-AA conferences, but it sucks to ruin historical rivalries. In my opinion they should divide the big sky and great west. the great west becomes a SW confrence and the Big sky is the NW.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2006, 11:23 AM
if the Torreros were to increase scholarships and go to any football conference, it would have to be in all sports and USD is not about to let their basketball teams leave the WCC just so their football team can play big time football.

You realize that the GW is a football only conference, right?

They could stay in the WCC for everything and play 63 scholarship football in the GW.

galojay
September 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM

As long as you're I-AA, you won't. C-USA is not going to invite a team that is not already proven, to some degree, that they can play I-A football.

That is one reason I bet why WKU is going to Sun Belt. We know we won't get a C-USA inivite as we are. To get to C-USA you have to take a few steps.

SBC will take a chance on a I-AA upgrade, they have to. C-USA has the SBC, MAC, WAC to pull from for replacements... they won't look to the I-AA's I don't believe.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
As long as you're I-AA, you won't. C-USA is not going to invite a team that is not already proven, to some degree, that they can play I-A football.

That is on reason I bet why WKU is going to Sun Belt. We know we won't get a C-USA inivite as we are. To get to C-USA you have to take a few steps.
I suppose that makes sense.

douglasdmb
September 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
For some odd reason I don't think that will happen.
Why? You certainly do not average 15,000 a game.

Last season's attendance numbers...

Missouri State -- 10,660
Western Kentucky -- 12,798

Based on the fact that we haven't produced a playoff team since '89 and the Toppers won a NC within the past five years, it's surprising that our attendance numbers are this close to WKU, who also don't average 15,000 a game.

I've said this to other people and at least once on our message board: It's impressive how much Springfield has supported a crappy, I-AA football program.

I think there's a lot of potential for Springfield to REALLY back the team, and I know that's why Terry Allen came here. If we start to become a consistent top-25 program, then I think you'll see us creep up to and possibly surpass that magical 15,000 mark in attendance.

You may think that, but unless your adding a 2nd side to that doubledecker, I don't see that happening...

I've heard from many different people around campus that have said that there are plans to make the east side (smaller side) mirror the west side in size and quality, which would put as in the 20-25 thousand capacity range.

Overall, I'm torn on whether or not we should move to I-A. Not saying C-USA is knocking on or door or ever will be, but there's some potential here. Let's win first and gain support, THEN we'll talk about making the jump.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the Sun Belt would take you. MSU vs. Ark. St. U would be a pretty natural rivalry I'd think.

JALMOND
September 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
You realize that the GW is a football only conference, right?

They could stay in the WCC for everything and play 63 scholarship football in the GW.

They could, that is true. But other things I've been hearing is that the WCC commish does not like their member schools playing big time football. Supposedly, they put the pressure on St. Mary's to drop football and funnel all the resources to basketball so the WCC could be a major player on the college basketball landscape.

Note, this is only scuttlebutt and I have no links to prove it. With a member school in the area (U of Portland) you tend to hear rumors. It could possibly be a reason why San Diego does not offer scholarships in the football program.

da_bears
September 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the Sun Belt would take you. MSU vs. Ark. St. U would be a pretty natural rivalry I'd think.

The sunbelt has already invited MSU, and they laughed and declined. I'd say MSU's recent sweet sixteen team, womans final four team, college world series team, top 25 soccer team and so on all suggest that every sport other than football could compete the BigXII or CUSA.

Plus MSU facilities are just as good if not better than some CUSA schools(minus the east side football stands). Construction on the new $70 million basketball arena starts in december and the 2 year old $33 million baseball are not going to be wasted on the sunbelt. Thats $100 million+ in new athletic faclities, Thats more than Stanford just spent on their new football stadium.
http://whitewall.missouristate.edu/jqh/images/image/BowlPerspective1a.JPG

BearsCountry
September 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM
The Bears already have affilate membership in the Sun Belt in men's swimming, if they could work out the same for football I think they would do it. Basically I think the Bears could be the "football part" for Arkansas-Little Rock. Keep all other sports in the MVC and football in Sun Belt could work and I could see the Bears doing that in order to help get them CUSA membership in the future. WKU and MSU both have a good shot at the CUSA if both are in I-A when expansion for it comes around - actually if Memphis doesn't bolt that league could get alot stronger hoops wise.

rcny46
September 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
never heard of em :p

:) xlolx :D

BearsCountry
September 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
Looks like North Dakota State is making a strong case for themselves with the win today over Ball State. If we lose WKU, they make alot of sense.

Hansel
September 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Looks like North Dakota State is making a strong case for themselves with the win today over Ball State. If we lose WKU, they make alot of sense.
that's what we thought about the Big Sky after we beat Montana :( :)

who knows what will happen.....

BearsCountry
September 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
that's what we thought about the Big Sky after we beat Montana :( :)

who knows what will happen.....

I think this time you will have more success. :thumbsup:

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Put UND's name in the hat for the Gateway. After last weekend I don't think there is anyway that President Kupchella could ever say no to the Division I question.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that an NDSU poster with a hockey reference in his signature line??

Only 18 more days until the puck drops at the Ralph!!!

He comes on here from a DII school talks about the puck dropping and expects to be taken seriously when they are two years away from their Exploratory year and are not even sure if the DI thing will actually happen. What a rube. xidiotx

Croatoan
January 28th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I would like to see Grand Valley jump up into the Gateway conference. I think they could be competitive in a couple years. Their recent success over the Dakotas and continued national level success coupled with a large fan base (22,000 students) makes them a possible candidate. Looking at the map they would be within 6-7 hours of most of the conference.

semobison
January 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Grand Valley States recent success has been against UND, and one game against USD. They havnt played the DI schools from the Dakotas.

MplsBison
January 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
With the lack of FCS teams in Michigan, I would think GVSU could fill an important niche in the state.

JBB
January 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
They would be a good fit, but as a transition team with no conference the Gateway would not be interested. They werent interested in the Great Land Grants (NDSU/SDSU) for the same reasons. If the Great Land Grants do get into the Gateway they will be at the magic number 9. Grand Valley might be a good fit, but its highly unlikely they will be in the Gateway anytime soon.

The Sheriff
January 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Grand Valley States recent success has been against UND, and one game against USD. They havnt played the DI schools from the Dakotas.
Grand Valley's recent dynasty in DII dates back to when the D1 Dakotas were still in DII. There's no reason to believe that they couldn't have success in D1, similar to what we have seen with NDSU and I suppose SDSU. They definitely have the resources that rival or exceed any of the Dakota schools. They seem set on DII however for at least the near future.

greenG
January 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM
With the lack of FCS teams in Michigan, I would think GVSU could fill an important niche in the state.
People in Michigan don't see not having a FCS team as a lack. The college sports market is saturated with BCS Michigan State and Michigan. The 3 MAC teams get what little attention is left. D-I programs like Detroit and Oakland get only local coverage. Notre Dame and Ohio State get more coverage than UD and OU in the Michigan papers. GVSU has maximum coverage in their market (GR, etc.) now and gets attention during the football play-offs.

The Gateway would provide no local rivals for GVSU. Lakers fans want to see Ferris State and Saginaw Valley State, long time rivals, and have no interest in Western Illinois and Indiana State who have few followers in the area who would buy tickets. The amount of money it would take to move into the FCS is simply not worth it for GVSU. Moving all their other sports to...where, the Mid-Con or Horizon, neither of which have a significant following in Michigan?

Sorry there is no empty FCS niche in the Great Lakes State.

MplsBison
January 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I meant for players. If you're from Michigan and aren't good enough for the directional MIs, you have to play DII.