PDA

View Full Version : PL DROY Jamel Smith Leaves Lafayette

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 30th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Been a rough off-season on College Hill. Then again, it's been a rough few years....

Lafayette College's Jamel Smith, the Patriot League Rookie of the Year in football in 2012, has left the school, officials confirmed tonight.

Smith, a resident of New Egypt, N.J., was suspended indefinitely by head coach Frank Tavani for a violation of team rules and then chose to leave school

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette/index.ssf/2013/07/patriot_league_rookie_of_the_y.html

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Well we had 2 rising sophmore's leave the team- Sakowski and Smith. Both got into trouble of some sort and found themselves suspened- both decided to leave the team and school. I understand Sakowski will be playing for Albany.

Both are good young players and will be missed, but the Leopards still have a lot returning. Our entire offense will be back with the exception of Smith. Another rising Sophmore, Darrell Crawford, can hoepfully fill in for Smith. I believe he has the ability to do do.

RichH2
July 30th, 2013, 08:58 AM
A sad tale but think its past time to focus on camps which are strting up this weekend.

Pard4Life
July 30th, 2013, 09:05 AM
His aid may have been impacted too. No football, no aid.

We are more or less plug n play at WR. We will find somebody. And we have Ross.

Bogus Megapardus
July 30th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Did Jet Kollie graduate or does he have another year?

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Did Jet Kollie graduate or does he have another year?

He isn't on the roster. I think he may have actually quit the team before last year after Frank benched him for fumbling kicks.

Andy
July 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM
What isn't mentioned in the article is what a surprise this behavor was, this isn't a kid with a history. Last October Tavani was quoted in a Paul Reinhard blog entry: "This young man is special; he has special talents. He’s a tremendous kid." Jamel was the oldest of 6 kids, raised by his grandmother. Tavani cited Jamel's role in helping raise them.

And Jamel on LC:

“I like it a lot,” Smith said of his decision to come to Lafayette. “The coaching staff was one of the main reasons I came here; they’re really up front with me and honest. I felt very comfortable around them right away.” He called Coach Clayton “probably one of the best recruiting coaches out there. I like him a lot. He’s always on me on the field, and like school, he’s asking how I’d doing, ,making sure I’m studying. He’s on top of everything.” His final choice was LC over Lehigh, Holy Cross and Monmouth.

Smith is a special talent and we'll miss him at flanker and on KR. I believe he was just getting comfortable at receiver. He was recruited by others as a RB. As FT posted, it's up to Justin Adams and Darrell Crawford (out all of last season injured) to fill the void.

Can't excuse the behavior, but hope he learns and moves forward.

Pard4Life
July 30th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Forgot about that... yes it is surprising in that sense. But the way things have been, I guess not.

But, our guys seem to get into trouble for stupid things, not things associated with teams like Florida or Ohio State.

ngineer
July 30th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Forgot about that... yes it is surprising in that sense. But the way things have been, I guess not.

But, our guys seem to get into trouble for stupid things, not things associated with teams like Florida or Ohio State.

aint it the truth. The 'factories' just bring 'em in as long as they can lift so much or run so fast. "What major?" "No, only a few misdemeanors"...smh

crusader11
July 31st, 2013, 02:58 PM
How much longer does Frank T have at Lafayette? Is he in a position, a la Dick Biddle, who seemingly has a lifetime contract at the school?

Pard4Life
July 31st, 2013, 03:18 PM
How much longer does Frank T have at Lafayette? Is he in a position, a la Dick Biddle, who seemingly has a lifetime contract at the school?

Tavani has a job for life... discipline and producing quality academic kids are number one at LC, "and winning" not included, unless you win 10 percent of your games over a decade. However alumni don't like losing to Lehigh. But, I don't see anything happening. He is signed through 2017 or something.