PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on James Madison-Appalachian State

JMU Duke Dog
September 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
First off, I would like to say congratulations to the Appalachian State Mountaineers on their victory this past weekend. I also appreciated the kind hospitality of your fans which offered us food even when we had food for our tailgate. I was also amazed by the class you displayed following the game. It was a quite a surprisingly nice difference from last year when we lost on the road at Coastal Carolina.

My thoughts on the JMU football aspects:
- Game was closer than the 21-10 final score :nod:
- JMU outgained ASU by approximately 100 yards on offense but only found the endzone once :bang:
- Penalties, penalties, penalties...coaches need to make sure players are more disciplined! :bang:
- Rascati needs to act more like an offensive leader...after all he is the senior QB! :coach:
- How could both a two-year starting QB and two three-year starting RB's all of a sudden have so much trouble doing anything on offense...WEAK OFFENSIVE LINE...this unit needs to gel and quickly or else JMU will put up very few offensive points in its 2006 football season :eek:
- The "killer B's" (Boxley, Bransford, Brown) are no longer killer due to Bransford and Brown no longer being able to catch a football and where did Boxley go? :eek:
- Offense needs better play calling or coaches need to be put on the hot seat...I have never seen such pathetic coaching strategies until JMU this 2006 football season : flamemad

AppMan
September 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM
I am glad you enjoyed your trip to Boone and were treated well. I know some of your fans were unfortunate enough to run into some of our idiot drunken students and I apologize for their behavior. I certainly have a great deal of respect for JMU and hope one day our two schools have a more lasting relationship. Looking forward to the return trip in '08! Good luck the rest of the year. Perhaps we'll meet again in the playoffs.

Sam Adams
September 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
No shame in losing to Appy State in Boone. JMU will likely learn and improve as a result of the experience. They look to have a solid shot at the A10 South.

jmufootball2
September 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM
put the coaches on the hot seat? what are you talking about? we lost a game to the #1 team at one of the toughest venues to come away with a win at. mickey admitted they only ran a few plays during the bloomsburg game, but the app state game was called real nice. The coaches cant execute the plays and the players didnt execute when needed. app took advantage of our mistakes because they are a good team.

AppGuy04
September 12th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I pretty much agree with you Duke, your offensive line was not solid and hence why the offense struggled. However, we didn't exactly play well. As you noted, you outgained us by 100 yard or so, so the score should have been closer than the 21-10. I think both defenses played great in the 2nd half, with App giving up the only points on a nice fade route by JMU.

One other thought: Nix the streamers, those look really stupid

Appstate03
September 12th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I pretty much agree with you Duke, your offensive line was not solid and hence why the offense struggled. However, we didn't exactly play well. As you noted, you outgained us by 100 yard or so, so the score should have been closer than the 21-10. I think both defenses played great in the 2nd half, with App giving up the only points on a nice fade route by JMU.

One other thought: Nix the streamers, those look really stupid

I couldn't agree more. It doesn't help that they are girlie colors.

asu70
September 12th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I found that most JMU fans displayed class and they have a football team that is very talented. I'm glad that App has this game behind them because I think the Dukes can and will play better as the season goes along. Thanks JMU for the great match up between the past two National Champs!

SoCon48
September 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
put the coaches on the hot seat? what are you talking about? we lost a game to the #1 team at one of the toughest venues to come away with a win at. mickey admitted they only ran a few plays during the bloomsburg game, but the app state game was called real nice. The coaches cant execute the plays and the players didnt execute when needed. app took advantage of our mistakes because they are a good team.

Lucky he's at JMU, some idiotic fans at ASU call for the coaches head after 17 winning seasons (1 losing 4-7 year) , a national championship and loses to I-A NC State a by couple TD's and doesn't stomp ranked A-10 JMU by 30.

Someone needs to let some App fans in on your message: "The coaches cant execute the plays and the players didnt execute when needed.

BigDukeDawg
September 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM

yea so this guy obviously didnt go to the game... you gotta be kidden me if u think everything App state saw was our entire offense.... we ran 6 plays over and over again... screen, dive, option, etc.... i think had this been a playoff game there would have been more called, but considering this was a non-conference game in which i dont believe could help our chances in getting into the playoffs say as much as a victory at UNH would, it was an ok game by the players and a horrible one by MM and Durden... that is all children, i said good dayxcoffeex

AppGuy04
September 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
i dont believe could help our chances in getting into the playoffs say as much as a victory at UNH would

are you kidding me?

beating a top 5 team doesn't help you get into the playoffs?:confused:

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM
yea so this guy obviously didnt go to the game... you gotta be kidden me if u think everything App state saw was our entire offense.... we ran 6 plays over and over again... screen, dive, option, etc.... i think had this been a playoff game there would have been more called, but considering this was a non-conference game in which i dont believe could help our chances in getting into the playoffs say as much as a victory at UNH would, it was an ok game by the players and a horrible one by MM and Durden... that is all children, i said good dayxcoffeex

I was indeed in Boone this weekend and was present at the game between James Madison and Appalachian State. Why only use the same six offensive plays when playing the number one team in the nation? JMU could have definitely used a victory over Appalachian State to get into the playoffs due to playing a Division II opponent.

AppState
September 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Lucky he's at JMU, some idiotic fans at ASU call for the coaches head after 17 winning seasons (1 losing 4-7 year) , a national championship and loses to I-A NC State a by couple TD's and doesn't stomp ranked A-10 JMU by 30.

Again, not true.

SoCon48
September 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Again, not true.
Which part is not true? Evidently you haven't read the App board or listened to the fans in the stadium.

blur2005
September 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
...but considering this was a non-conference game in which i dont believe could help our chances in getting into the playoffs say as much as a victory at UNH would...
It is evident you know nothing about how the playoff system works. Had JMU won this game, it would've been a huge boost to their playoff aspirations and if they finished 9-2 or so with a win over App State (as long as App did as well as expected), they likely could've argued for seeding. A win over UNH would also be huge, but likely on a similar level as beating App State.

Kiss My Apps
September 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Which part is not true? Evidently you haven't read the App board or listened to the fans in the stadium.

The posts calling for Moore's head seem to be limited to two or three trolls that may have 10 total posts between the group of them.

Its fair to say that many have been displeased with our staff's reluctance to be more aggressive with their play calling, but to give the impression that there is uproar in the App nation is slightly off base.

Kiss My Apps
September 12th, 2006, 03:40 PM
My thoughts on the JMU football aspects:
- Game was closer than the 21-10 final score :nod:

I don't think it was...

Minus the first possession, we did whatever we felt like doing on offense the entire first half, going 3 for 3 in the red zone. Once we had a comfortable lead of 21-3 at halftime, we shut it down and didn't allow JMU an opportunity to get back into the game. JMU's only TD was midway through the fourth, when the game was no longer in question.

JMU fans can look back at the yardage gained and call it a moral victory, but to say this game was closer than the score is ridiculous.

JMU2004
September 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I don't think it was...

Minus the first possession, we did whatever we felt like doing on offense the entire first half, going 3 for 3 in the red zone. Once we had a comfortable lead of 21-3 at halftime, we shut it down and didn't allow JMU an opportunity to get back into the game. JMU's only TD was midway through the fourth, when the game was no longer in question.

JMU fans can look back at the yardage gained and call it a moral victory, but to say this game was closer than the score is ridiculous.

lol.... and the trend continues :hurray:

Saint3333
September 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Yes it does 19 in a row at the ROCK.

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Yes it does 19 in a row at the ROCK.

Who else plays at The Rock for the remainder of 2006?

Mountaineer
September 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Mars Hill :rolleyes:
Furman
Wofford
The Citadel

Edit:

Elon

asu70
September 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM
That would be Mars Hill, Elon, Wofford, Furman, and The Citadel.

JMUfan2008
September 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. It doesn't help that they are girlie colors.

What are your colors again? Black and yellow? So basically the difference is between black and purple....so basically between an actual color and a filler color....I would rather have color than black, doesn't matter what the color is.

And they're JMU tradition now...really gets the fans into it. And don't get jealous just because you don't have anything special that your fans do ;)

Mountaineer
September 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
What are your colors again? Black and yellow? So basically the difference is between black and purple....so basically between an actual color and a filler color....I would rather have color than black, doesn't matter what the color is.

And they're JMU tradition now...really gets the fans into it. And don't get jealous just because you don't have anything special that your fans do ;)

Black and Gold. ;)

Though I will say I like the JMU colors and thought the shirts and jerseys I saw around Boone looked sharp! But then I am a fan of Black/Gold and Purple/Gold. :rotateh: :nod:

The streamers..well..I imagine they look a lot better when a whole side of the stands is doing it. :thumbsup:

AppState
September 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM

"From: JCline0429 Sep-11 12:06 am
To: trojans2176 (55 of 79)
14799.55 in reply to 14799.54

I'll have to take your word for it, trojan. I had to miss attending the game. First home or road game since the Cit game last Sept.

I only was able to hear the first quarter yesterday and it sounded like our O-Line was getting blown out part of the time. Evidently things got better.} "

So you weren't at the game but you could listen to the fans in the stadium?

I am having a tough time trying to understand your objective in making such a post. Would you please explain why you are fabricating stories/issues that really don't exist?

And yes, I do read the App board. And I was at both games.

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
"From: JCline0429 Sep-11 12:06 am
To: trojans2176 (55 of 79)
14799.55 in reply to 14799.54

I'll have to take your word for it, trojan. I had to miss attending the game. First home or road game since the Cit game last Sept.

I only was able to hear the first quarter yesterday and it sounded like our O-Line was getting blown out part of the time. Evidently things got better.} "

So you weren't at the game but you could listen to the fans in the stadium?

I am having a tough time trying to understand your objective in making such a post. Would you please explain why you are fabricating stories/issues that really don't exist?

And yes, I do read the App board. And I was at both games.

What the hell is this "fabricating stories that really don't exist" crap????
About the message board, do you want me to post the messages I am referring to?????And yes, I was at the NCSU game, too as well as 6 of the 11 regular season games.
My comments about the line was based on the announcers in the first quarter of the JMU game as well as what i saw in peron at the State game.
The fans yelling in the stands, i was tlking about during the championship run last year. I was at all 4 play-off games. It was during our first three wins in Boone that some stupid fans were still yelling at Jerry about his play calls, being senile, why don't you quit, etc, etc
Get off of this sh#t about me "fabricating stories."

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Naah, we just have 25K yelling their heads off during a challenging game.xcoffeex

AppState
September 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
What the hell is this "fabricating stories that really don't exist" crap????
About the message board, do you want me to post the messages I am referring to?????And yes, I was at the NCSU game, too as well as 6 of the 11 regular season games.
My comments about the line was based on the announcers in the first quarter of the JMU game as well as what i saw in peron at the State game.
The fans yelling in the stands, i was tlking about during the championship run last year. I was at all 4 play-off games. It was during our first three wins in Boone that some stupid fans were still yelling at Jerry about his play calls, being senile, why don't you quit, etc, etc
Get off of this sh#t about me "fabricating stories."

It is my opinion that you are doing a huge disservice to ASU and the fans who support the program by posting tripe like that (the original post).

LacesOut
September 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hey ladies, wasn't this game like uhhhhh five days ago???? LOL

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM
It is my opinion that you are doing a huge disservice to ASU and the fans who support the program by posting tripe like that (the original post).

Tripe? You are intitled to your opinion. To me the real tripe is the disservice to the efforts of the ASU staff and players as well as recruiting efforts for a bunch of so called "fans" to constantly post on public forums every little trivial gripe they have about Jerry Moore. They don't seem to think there is logic behind his play caling and don't seem to think about the reasoning behind his play calling. If he passes with a lead and its intercepted, he's blasted. If he doesn't pass with a lead, he's blasted, too. it's no win. He's had like 16 of 17 winning seasons. that in itself tells me he knows more about what he's doing than all his Monday "moaning QB's."
The idiots in the stands during the play-offs on a scoring drive blasting his play calling are a real embarrassment to ASU. The Wofford game last year was the worst.

MYTAPPY
September 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM
C'mon fellow App fans.....Shut Up :bang: :bang:
Jerry is not going anywhere for the time being.
Quit your little spat and cheer in hopes for another NC.

SoCon48
September 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM
C'mon fellow App fans.....Shut Up :bang: :bang:
Quit your little spat and cheer in hopes for another NC.

Exactly. Glad to see he got the 3 yr contract that he did.

AppState
September 13th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Exactly. Glad to see he got the 3 yr contract that he did.

Same here.

MountaineerDrive
September 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM
My two cents: Jerry Moore is an A+ head coach who for whatever reason brought his C game the past two weeks. Defensive tackling and offensive execution have been absolutely unacceptable and I fully expect Jerry and the staff to fix them soon. Both aspects must improve for us to be title contenders.

AppMan
September 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM
We will not win another National Championship playing the way we played against JMU or with the same offense we displayed the past two Saturday's. My only hope is that, for some reason, we have only opened the first five pages of the playbook.

Linehawg
September 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM
You don't win this year's games with last year's team. It's unrealistic for either (any?) past "National Champion" to think othwerwise. App St will do well. JMU will do well. But neither has the teams they made it to the finals with. There are 115 other teams that don't stand still either. Rhetorical (non-flame) question only to make the point: Did JMU play better than expected or were App State's chances overblown? It'll be mid-season and at least two more opponents each before we know the real answer to that.

The Cats
September 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
No shame in losing to Appy State in Boone.

There is always shame in loosing to Appy State, be it in Boone or Cullowhee.

JMU Duke Dog
September 13th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I am hoping my Dukes will prove me incorrect as I am thinking the three A10 teams that will be in the 2006 playoffs will be Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Richmond. JMU most likely does not make the playoffs if it is loses to one of its next three opponents in Northeastern, VMI, or Rhode Island. October 14th will be a huge test to see how the Dukes are at midseason form with a road trip up north to offensive phenom New Hampshire. With how pathetic JMU's offense has played so far in 2006, there is no way the Dukes will be able to match the points scored by the Wildcats.

Mr. C
September 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I am hoping my Dukes will prove me incorrect as I am thinking the three A10 teams that will be in the 2006 playoffs will be Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Richmond. JMU most likely does not make the playoffs if it is loses to one of its next three opponents in Northeastern, VMI, or Rhode Island. October 14th will be a huge test to see how the Dukes are at midseason form with a road trip up north to offensive phenom New Hampshire. With how pathetic JMU's offense has played so far in 2006, there is no way the Dukes will be able to match the points scored by the Wildcats.
JMU would basically have to not show up to lose games to ANY of the next three teams they play, Northeastern, VMI and Rhode Island. And don't take it for granted that JMU's excellent defense couldn't shut down New Hampshire. That will be a key test for the Wildcats as well.

ASU Kep
September 13th, 2006, 11:49 PM
My two cents: Jerry Moore is an A+ head coach who for whatever reason brought his C game the past two weeks. Defensive tackling and offensive execution have been absolutely unacceptable and I fully expect Jerry and the staff to fix them soon. Both aspects must improve for us to be title contenders.

I absolutely agree. I think you'll see Coach Moore open up the playbook more in the coming weeks and get Trey more comfortable. Starting out against the defenses of NC State and JMU is pretty daunting for a first year starter. IMO, the next three weeks (Mars Hill, Gardner-Webb, Elon) will allow our offense to get rollin'.

...defensive tackling? :eyebrow:

SoCon48
September 14th, 2006, 02:12 AM
We will not win another National Championship playing the way we played against JMU or with the same offense we displayed the past two Saturday's. My only hope is that, for some reason, we have only opened the first five pages of the playbook.

2005 ..............................2006

a EKU 24-16 ...................at NCSU 10-23
at Kansas 8-36 ................JMU 21-10

Linehawg
September 14th, 2006, 06:26 AM
JMU would basically have to not show up to lose games to ANY of the next three teams they play, Northeastern, VMI and Rhode Island.

Yep, VMI's a gimme, right Mickey? Give the team a week off and hit the golf course. Better yet, save some pennies and just bus down your third string that will undoubtedly whoop those no-talent Keydets. Heck, just send Lazotte. Just reading the posts here, I'd say he could do it by himself.

Lot of football between now and then for these kinds of silly predictions.xcoffeex

JMU2004
September 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Yep, VMI's a gimme, right Mickey? Give the team a week off and hit the golf course. Better yet, save some pennies and just bus down your third string that will undoubtedly whoop those no-talent Keydets. Heck, just send Lazotte. Just reading the posts here, I'd say he could do it by himself.

Lot of football between now and then for these kinds of silly predictions.xcoffeex

no offense to VMI, but Bloomsburg would toast the keydets

jmuroller
September 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM
no offense to VMI, but Bloomsburg would toast the keydets

Couldn't agree more.

Mr. C
September 16th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Nothing silly about this prediction. I am not a James Madison fan, or alum, but I was at the game last week. I also know quite a bit about VMI, having spent some time with Jim Reid this summer. I have also seen Rhode Island play this season, too. I'll match my knowledge about these teams with you anytime. Have you seen any of them play?

AppMan
September 16th, 2006, 02:58 AM

a EKU 24-16 ...................at NCSU 10-23

And your point is..?????

September 16th, 2006, 03:06 AM
And your point is..?????I think the point is you won the NCAA D-I national championship with a little worse opening than you had this year. You said "We will not win another National Championship playing the way we played against JMU or with the same offense we displayed the past two Saturday's."

EKU 24-16 ...................at NCSU 10-23

32-52...........................31-33

AppGuy04
September 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I agree Ralph, we are 1-1, which is where we "should be" just like last year. I don't think that winning a NC automatically catapults us into the spot where we should beat a I-A. NC State may not be a great team, of which I am a fan also, but they have alot of talent and alot of speed. We are 1-1, we have played decent, but have not played up to potential. I think most App fans are concerned about the lethargy at times of the offense. The defense looks fine. I will take 1-1, if for no other reason than thats how we started our NC year.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM
And your point is..?????
Pretty obvious. (at least Ralph got it) Similar start as last year if NC State is as good as Kansas was and JMU is as good as EKU was.