PDA

View Full Version : Corruption with FCS Polls and Playoff Selection Committee : Case in Point Team X

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Week 11

How can the 17th Ranked team drop to 19th after winning by 31 points?

Week 12

Now ranked 19th absolutely destroy the 7th ranked team by 29 points and end up back at 15 to finish the season.

This actually happened and virtually no one addressed this outside of the team affected, not sure most folks that follow the fcs were even aware of this very odd drop in the polls after a 31 point win in week 11.

Actually most folks close to the team thought we would jump one spot or two (15/16),however, dropping 2 spots....not sure I've ever seen this in FCS/FBS after winning by 31.

Not sure many folks caught this when it happened but I can tell you that this seems like outright corruption and intentional.

Of course this team was left out of the playoffs....seems like the drop served its purpose.

Would appreciate some outside perspective since I don't know how the drop in the polls could be justified.

One thing is for sure.....Team X is pissed!!!!

gumby013
July 26th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Week 11

Week 12

Now ranked 19th absolutely destroy the 7th ranked team by 29 points and end up back at 15 to finish the season.

This actually happened and virtually no one addressed this outside of the team affected, not sure most folks that follow the fcs were even aware of this very odd drop in the polls after a 31 point win in week 11.

Actually most folks close to the team thought we would jump one spot or two (15/16),however, dropping 2 spots....not sure I've ever seen this in FCS/FBS after winning by 31.

Not sure many folks caught this when it happened but I can tell you that this seems like outright corruption and intentional.

Of course this team was left out of the playoffs....seems like the drop served its purpose.

Would appreciate some outside perspective since I don't know how the drop in the polls could be justified.

One thing is for sure.....Team X is pissed!!!!

Committee uses their own rankings.

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Week 11

Easy. Teams ranked 18th and 19th in week 11 performed very well against tough competition while team X performs how they are supposed to against mediocre competition. To me, teams ranked 15th - 25th are very hard to place and it doesn't take much to alter their positions on the polls.

This is all a moot point because as was stated above, the committee doesn't use polls when it comes to the playoffs... Essentially, polls just give us something to argue about between Saturdays.

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 07:30 PM
It's much easier to keep a 15th ranked team out of the playoffs than an 11th or 12th ranked team which was the point of the thread. How can you justify dropping a team after a 31 point win? Seems like a move up to 15 would be more appropriate, follow this up with destroying a top 7 team moving up to 11/12 jumping the seven team. Has all the makeup of some manipulation and fraud so late in the season.

Silenoz
July 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Simple, who did teams 18 and 19 play, and was it more impressive then beating up on Murray State at home?

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM
It's much easier to keep a 15th ranked team out of the playoffs than an 11th or 12th ranked team which was the point of the thread. How can you justify dropping a team after a 31 point win? Seems like a move up to 15 would be more appropriate, follow this up with destroying a top 7 team moving up to 11/12 jumping the seven team. Has all the makeup of some manipulation and fraud so late in the season.

Again, you are implying as if the polls actually matter... Heck, they aren't even accurate. Two years ago, coaches were mistaking UND for NDSU in the polls and giving them votes...

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Team X already beat team 19 a couple weeks prior.

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Team X already beat team 19 a couple weeks prior.

Indiana State beat NDSU last year, but you didn't see them at the top of the list. If they had a more impressive win then you did, and it was more impressive then you beating them, coaches will vote them up.

Say for example UNI is ranked 15th and NDSU is ranked 16th. UNI beats NDSU by 1 (*GASP*). But the next week, NDSU goes and beats Alabama while UNI goes and beats up on Savannah St. Who do you think deserves the higher ranking?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM

Since they don't use them you have no point and the corruption things is pretty silly. Are you implying the coaches, the media, or the fans were corrupt in their rankings? Not that it matters since it's not used by the playoff committee but just wondering.

Just because you win doesn't mean you move up and that's been shot down for many years on this site and many others as it matters what all the other teams around you did and how their wins are perceived vs. your win.

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I agree NDSU should move up ahead of UNI in the scenario and using a realistic opponent of say a 9th or 10th placed FCS team. However, I don't see how a team should drop in this scenario if the blew out the Savannah St and beat NDSU pretty convincingly. Followed up the next week by beating a top ten FCS opponent by 4 touchdowns.

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I agree NDSU should move up ahead of UNI in the scenario and using a realistic opponent of say a 9th or 10th placed FCS team. However, I don't see how a team should drop in this scenario if the blew out the Savannah St and beat NDSU pretty convincingly. Followed up the next week by beating a top ten FCS opponent by 4 touchdowns.

It all depends upon how the other teams wins stacked up against yours. If they go out and have a far more impressive win than the ones you mentioned, they will be ranked ahead of you. Simple as that. It's subjective, and that's how it gives us something to do between Saturdays. There is no conspiracy and to make such accusations is ludicrous considering polls aren't used for anything except to keep fans entertained and into the sport (Unless you are a BCS team, but that's another dogfight).

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 08:05 PM
No, my point was how can you drop 2 slots after blowing out an opponent? Granted it was a weaker opponent in a power fcs conference, also factor one team that jumped ahead of team x was soundly beaten by team x a couple weeks prior. This is the next to the last week in the season which most of the field is coming into shape for the playoffs. Also Team X has one of the most difficult schedules in FCS in not top 5, definitely top 7.

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Since they don't use them you have no point and the corruption things is pretty silly. Are you implying the coaches, the media, or the fans were corrupt in their rankings? Not that it matters since it's not used by the playoff committee but just wondering.

Just because you win doesn't mean you move up and that's been shot down for many years on this site and many others as it matters what all the other teams around you did and how their wins are perceived vs. your win.

My argument is how do you justify dropping a team two spots after a blowout....granted weak team in power conference but at the very least you hold the 17th rank so late in the season. I don't recall seeing a team drop in a poll after a blowout win so late in the season on the cusp of a playoff bid. Any examples?

frozennorth
July 26th, 2013, 08:36 PM

a couple years ago NDSU dropped 6 spots after beating minnesota. Your whining goes unacknowledged, and will continue to be ignored until team x's conference decides to win a playoff game.

heath
July 26th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Want to see at its best? Watch the AGS know it alls from week one until the end attempt their pollxlolxThey should all be politicians,or sell used cars,.............but it keeps us glued week to week.xnodx

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 08:58 PM
a couple years ago NDSU dropped 6 spots after beating minnesota. Your whining goes unacknowledged, and will continue to be ignored until team x's conference decides to win a playoff game.

Good lord,

Not whining at all, place your own team that you follow in the same situation. Your team wins by 4-5 touchdowns you don't expect to drop in the polls, let alone get jumped by a team you beat soundly a couple weeks prior. I'm referring to a power FCS conference so save the playoff talk.

SUPharmacist
July 26th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Why the "Team X" stuff? If you really want to prove your point, give exact details, instead of beating around the bush with hypotheticals.

IBleedYellow
July 26th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking. Who the hell is team X?

Galaxy S4

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Good lord,

Not whining at all, place your own team that you follow in the same situation. Your team wins by 4-5 touchdowns you don't expect to drop in the polls, let alone get jumped by a team you beat soundly a couple weeks prior. I'm referring to a power FCS conference so save the playoff talk.

He's referring to when we beat a BCS team (yes, in the FBS and yes, that's like your "power conference" squared) by multiple touchdowns and still dropped in the polls. You are beating a dead horse and trying to make a big deal out of nothing. It comes across as whiny.

SeattleGriz
July 26th, 2013, 10:29 PM
These games are why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9qWFYJbDU

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
He's referring to when we beat a BCS team (yes, in the FBS and yes, that's like your "power conference" squared) by multiple touchdowns and still dropped in the polls. You are beating a dead horse and trying to make a big deal out of nothing. It comes across as whiny.

If that's the case that's was I was asking for ...some similar examples of that happening, I vaguely remember something like that happening a couple years ago. If that's the case then I don't get that either especially with a FBS win. Not sure how a win at Minnesota can cause a drop in the polls, wasn't this a WTF moment as well?

Actually, NDSU moved up from No 8 to No 5, so that was incorrect info he was putting out there.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I've done some research. I'm almost positive LoneStar is talking about Towson's situation last year. Beat Rhode Island 41-10 then beat New Hampshire 64-35. Ended up 7-4 and was left out of the playoffs. Whatevs--shouldn't have scheduled 2 FBS teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I've done some research. I'm almost positive LoneStar is talking about Towson's situation last year. Beat Rhode Island 41-10 then beat New Hampshire 64-35. Ended up 7-4 and was left out of the playoffs. Whatevs--shouldn't have scheduled 2 FBS teams.
Towson most certainly shouldn't have missed the playoffs last year in my mind though. If you schedule that way though you certainly give yourself a razor thin margin for error.

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 11:22 PM

That's right....my argument is about dropping 2 spots after the Rhode Island win and if there has been any historical comparisons in recent history so late in the season. I didn't want to bring up any team name since I was hoping someone could give previous examples of this happening so late in the season without any team biases. If this happened to JMU, Delaware or an App State I would question the drop just the same. There wasn't much noise about this drop when it happened and found it very unusual, just seemed like there was something behind this and was asking if anyone recalls a similar incident so late in the season.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Towson most certainly shouldn't have missed the playoffs last year in my mind though. If you schedule that way though you certainly give yourself a razor thin margin for error.

The CAA was such a mess last year--good teams--when 6 teams have elligible playoff records, someone is going to get screwed.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2013, 11:28 PM
That's right....my argument is about dropping 2 spots after the Rhode Island win

Didn't drop in the AGS poll. xnodx

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 11:29 PM
That's right....my argument is about dropping 2 spots after the Rhode Island win and if there has been any historical comparisons in recent history so late in the season. I didn't want to bring up any team name since I was hoping someone could give previous examples of this happening so late in the season without any team biases. If this happened to JMU, Delaware or an App State I would question the drop just the same. There wasn't much noise about this drop when it happened and found it very unusual, just seemed like there was something behind this and was asking if anyone recalls a similar incident so late in the season.

If you were talking about Towson, then they shouldn't have scheduled 2 FBS teams. The playoff committee does not look at the coaches poll, but they sure do look at how many wins a team has and the quality of those wins. Playing 2 FBS teams (especially one like LSU) reduces the chances of getting those precious wins. Regardless, take the polls with a grain of salt. Sometimes they literally change due to error or lack of education (such as UND getting votes for losing and NDSU going down in the polls after winning, both in the same poll). There is no conspiracy. There is no alternative motifs. The polls are simply something for us fans to argue over and use as leverage when gloating to other fans about the achievements (or lack there of) of our team. That's it.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2013, 11:30 PM
I feel that Richmond got robbed the most out of that CAA situation last year...

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Didn't drop in the AGS poll. xnodx

Intelligent College Football Fans on AGS :). Yes, I'm looking at the TSN polls regarding these moves...

I like the fact that we have some avid fcs fans on here, However, sometimes it seems the original question, message or thought gets lost after a few posts and goes way off course.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Intelligent College Football Fans on AGS :). Yes, I'm looking at the TSN polls regarding these moves...

I like the fact that we have some avid fcs fans on here, However, sometimes it seems the original question, message or thought gets lost after a few posts and goes way off course.

To be fair LoneStar you were way vague and if you wanted something more specific you could have eliminated a lot of subterfuge by being straight forward with a question and putting us all on top of what you were actually looking for.

I basically gave up on the thread a couple hours back and then as more became clear figured I'd jump back in. Team X doesn't tell anyone anything unless they know what team A,B,C,...did as well.

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Actually, after Old Dominion I think there was a bit of a drop off. Towson was better last year than the previous 2011 team that went to the playoffs and Richmond was right there with them. Definitely would of preferred Richmond to represent the CAA over New Hampshire. However, I'll take playing a game in Baton Rouge over going to Frisco every time.

LoneStar
July 26th, 2013, 11:46 PM
To be fair LoneStar you were way vague and if you wanted something more specific you could have eliminated a lot of subterfuge by being straight forward with a question and putting us all on top of what you were actually looking for.

I basically gave up on the thread a couple hours back and then as more became clear figured I'd jump back in. Team X doesn't tell anyone anything unless they know what team A,B,C,...did as well.

Noted...I'm cool with that....it's all good in Texas!

Lehigh Football Nation
July 26th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Wake me when you talk about the team that finished No. 13 in the TSN poll on 11/19.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/poll

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Actually, after Old Dominion I think there was a bit of a drop off. Towson was better last year than the previous 2011 team that went to the playoffs and Richmond was right there with them. Definitely would of preferred Richmond to represent the CAA over New Hampshire. However, I'll take playing a game in Baton Rouge over going to Frisco every time.

I still have no idea how they decided who got to go. It's like they flipped a coin.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Wake me when you talk about the team that finished No. 13 in the TSN poll on 11/19.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/poll

C'mon LFN. We've talked about this... Since USD beat Colgate, Lehigh doesn't get a playoff bid. Perfect logic.

FargoBison
July 26th, 2013, 11:55 PM
If that's the case that's was I was asking for ...some similar examples of that happening, I vaguely remember something like that happening a couple years ago. If that's the case then I don't get that either especially with a FBS win. Not sure how a win at Minnesota can cause a drop in the polls, wasn't this a WTF moment as well?

Actually, NDSU moved up from No 8 to No 5, so that was incorrect info he was putting out there.

NDSU actually fell during its bye week that season after starting the season 2-0. That said the drop was largely due to people thinking NDSU was UND. That confusion seemed to be an ongoing issue during that season in multiple polls.

FargoBison
July 26th, 2013, 11:56 PM
As for Towson I totally agree, best team left out of the playoffs last year. I think I had them around #10 in my last poll.

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 11:59 PM
C'mon LFN. We've talked about this... Since USD beat Colgate, Lehigh doesn't get a playoff bid. Perfect logic.
xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I think Lone Star is focusing on the wrong thing here.

Towson throttled UNH, UNH only falls 3 points, 8 to 11.

Also, check this out:

14 Villanova Wildcats Colonial 8 3 1627 0 16
15 Towson Tigers Colonial 7 4 1626 0 19

One point separated a playoff team and another team that was sent home.

LoneStar
July 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I still have no idea how they decided who got to go. It's like they flipped a coin.

The JMU game was the killer for us, we played LSU the previous week while JMU had a bye, that was the difference and it was up to the committee. Actually, Nova won the autobid for the conference since they beat Old Dominion a common opponent of the four tied teams Villanova, Richmond, Towson, New Hampshire.

LoneStar
July 27th, 2013, 12:02 AM

Also, check this out:

Towson beat Villanova during the season by two touchdowns

LoneStar
July 27th, 2013, 12:04 AM
NDSU actually fell during its bye week that season after starting the season 2-0. That said the drop was largely due to people thinking NDSU was UND. That confusion seemed to be an ongoing issue during that season in multiple polls.

Another reason to move to FBS tier 2! That's crazy.....

Vitojr130
July 27th, 2013, 12:29 AM

Also, check this out:

Implying, again, that the coaches polls have anything to do with the playoff selection committee xlolx

Vitojr130
July 27th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Another reason to move to FBS tier 2! That's crazy.....

Do you know some crazy insider information or something that we don't know? I thought that this tier 2 talk for FBS schools was just a bunch of steam the big media heated up so that they have something to blow in the off season...

813Jag
July 27th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I agree, I had no clue what was going on in the thread, but I see it clearly now.

I'm not a fan of multiple FBS games (and by extension as a fan of an FBS team as well, multiple FCS games) I know why they're played, but your margin of error is so slim. Almost makes you have to get the AQ to get in.

caribbeanhen
July 27th, 2013, 09:05 AM
corruption is lurking everywhere, not a surprise, besides the AGS boys sure did get defensive in a hurry which only raises the suspicion levels

Southern Bison
July 27th, 2013, 09:34 AM

What the hell were you drinking and how much? You'd rather take an ass-whooping by an SEC team instead of stepping onto the field at Frisco and playing for a National Championship? Now you've gone from xeyebrowx to xcrazyx to xnutsx

AmsterBison
July 27th, 2013, 01:06 PM
CAA got one too many teams in last year.

LoneStar
July 27th, 2013, 01:29 PM
What the hell were you drinking and how much? You'd rather take an ass-whooping by an SEC team instead of stepping onto the field at Frisco and playing for a National Championship? Now you've gone from xeyebrowx to xcrazyx to xnutsx

Of course I would take playing LSU against playing in a national championship in the current FCS. I was never more proud to be a Tiger than at that game last fall....

Vitojr130
July 27th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Of course I would take playing LSU against playing in a national championship in the current FCS. I was never more proud to be a Tiger than at that game last fall....

Clearly you have never won a National Championship....

carney2
July 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
"Corruption" means dishonesty. In other words, intent. Do you really believe that? You can bet that there are more than one of these stories buried in the top 25. Once you get below the top 10 it's just a scramble with less thought than you think, and certainly less thought than you might like, given to the poll submissions.

This is one of the reasons I no longer vote in the AGS poll. I had no idea what i was doing once I got beyond the top 10 or 12.

bjtheflamesfan
July 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM

http://barbaricthoughts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/tin-foil-hat-e1303319730252.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2013, 02:18 PM
corruption is lurking everywhere, not a surprise, besides the AGS boys sure did get defensive in a hurry which only raises the suspicion levels

I guess you see things differently than I did. I saw people attempting to answer an unclear question and frustration at the clarity given in the first place.

Of course as I remember you like throwing wise ass comments in where you can so that may be it as well.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2013, 02:19 PM

Ok, different strokes I guess. xlolx

813Jag
July 27th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Clearly you have never won a National Championship....
my team doesn't even go to the playoffs and I don't even agree with his statement.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM
my team doesn't even go to the playoffs and I don't even agree with his statement.

Get that changed. You da Jag with the swag.

813Jag
July 27th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Get that changed. You da Jag with the swag.
I'm doing all I can, hopefully we can make something happen if the landscape of football keeps changing.

Southern Bison
July 27th, 2013, 03:52 PM

If you believe your team is that weak, then I guess that is all you can cheer for and they didn't deserve a playoff spot last year. Towson has been part of the D-1AA/FCS for 26 seasons (since 1987) and made their first trip to the playoffs in 2011. I guess I see why you have your sights set so low.

The ability to say "(Year) FCS National Champions" in the same breath as your alma mater blows away any participation in an FBS OOC game...period.

WileECoyote06
July 27th, 2013, 04:25 PM

LSU would never play yall anyway. As a matter of fact, I don't think they've ever played any HBCU.

813Jag
July 27th, 2013, 05:12 PM
LSU would never play yall anyway. As a matter of fact, I don't think they've ever played any HBCU.
I've never been interested in playing LSU, they look down on all state schools.

WileECoyote06
July 27th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I've never been interested in playing LSU, they look down on all state schools.

I 100% believe it.

caribbeanhen
July 28th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Of course as I remember you like throwing wise ass comments in where you can so that may be it as well.xthumbsupx

I'm honored you remember but wise ass comments from me? no way swaggie

bluehenbillk
July 29th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Why all the rabble about Towson? I would've taken Richmond last season on the playoffs before the Tigers......

URMite
July 29th, 2013, 02:51 PM
If you believe your team is that weak, then I guess that is all you can cheer for and they didn't deserve a playoff spot last year. Towson has been part of the D-1AA/FCS for 26 seasons (since 1987) and made their first trip to the playoffs in 2011. I guess I see why you have your sights set so low.

The ability to say "(Year) FCS National Champions" in the same breath as your alma mater blows away any participation in an FBS OOC game...period.

I don't know I might take a 28 point win over Bama the last weekend in Sept in a year they win the championship over a championship in a given year. There are other years to win our own second championship...xlolx